• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen carries cross to White house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

This is one of those embarrassing things that will randomly haunt the kid for the rest of his life. Years from now the atheist him will look back on this and be like "Whyyyyyyy?"

goomba

Banned
If religion was a woman, these types of ignorant posts would not be tolerated. GAF is a community where people should get along, but instead some are treated like second class citizens and discriminated against, and lampooned/ridiculed; people have feelings. It's outrageous

What is ignorant about this post ?.

GAF will one of you please carry an upside down cross and walk beside him

Nah, there are better fights to fight such as gay rights, keeping Roe V Wade, sex education, contraceptives, women's health services from being cut, getting rid of creationism in schools and many more issues that require more energy than an empty but personal gesture.

goomba

Banned
This sounds like something George Carlin would ask about Christianity.

ARE YOU GEORGE CARLIN?

Sounds more like Bill Hicks to me.

Bill Hicks said:
“A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fucking cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant.”

5 times 7 times 12 is quite a lot of hours carrying a cross.

Oh and those dying on crosses died of asphyxiation right? You did not even need to nail them up there but the simple act of tying them up would suffice I think I recall reading.

The fundamental idea that this guy assumes his religion is real for everyone and wans to "bring people back to the cross" makes his journey an aggressive act.

If he's doing it for himself and others with his condition then have fun and good luck. Nothing wrong with a personal ritual.

Ezduo

Banned
A support team will follow him on foot and on a cart and bus. They'll help shield him from traffic, especially on busy highways.
Shouldn't Jesus be doing that? Step it up Holy Spirit.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
xQl2E.png

Dem mines. Is jesus in your mine? Mining stuff?

I think before we start thinking about Jesus, we first need to know how to spell simple words.

I noticed that too.

Sacrifice and penance seem to be thrown about in these churches.

If you are happy you are sinning, if you are depressed or ill you are sinning. Only in the afterlife you can be happy.

It's all about savoring that other life when you're dead. This life is all about suffering.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
to draw the attention of america back to the cross of jesus christ!

Maybe I should drag around a huge statue of Shiva all the way to the White House. America needs to have its attention drawn to Hinduism!

You know what though? As silly as I honestly think this is, I can't help but give the kid the benefit of the doubt. People are always saying they don't think young people give a damn, and it strikes me that this kid decided to do something-- something which I grant is less effective than a great many others-- to make a difference/send a message. I wish that when I was a teenager, I had cared enough about something to give it this level of dedication.

Wouldn't it be better if he cared enough about something of actual importance?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Everything I read about religion is usually retarded.

Guess that's just how the Internet works.

Kinyou

Amateur

leviathanxpawv.jpeg

Everyone knows that if you really want people to care about something again you have to destroy it.

Fritz

Sacrifice and penance seem to be thrown about in these churches.

If you are happy you are sinning, if you are depressed or ill you are sinning. Only in the afterlife you can be happy.

It's all about savoring that other life when you're dead. This life is all about suffering.

So 13th Century.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So:
Support team
Moderate climate
Cross on wheels

Last time I checked, Jesus:
had no support team, only people throwing stones at him and calling him names
was in the middle-east where it could get 140 degrees Fahrenheit
had to drag the cross over the ground

How does this bring Jesus back into people's lifes? Here's an idea; instead of being a pretentious prick, do what Jesus did and teach others to be tolerant and respectful towards each other.
Jesus is well-known as it is, it's just that "Love thy neighbour"-bit seems to be lacking in society.

18731752_BG1.jpg

Trucking along.

I don't know what offends me more:

a) that this kid obviously was brought up to think everyone believes in God
b) that this kid obviously doesn't give a shit about all the non-Christians he will offend

or

c) that he thinks people that convert to his religion because he's lugging a fucking cross around are the best people to have in his religion

The look on his face just screams "I am a fucking idiot, why did I do this."
lol exactly. Judging from the marketing efforts and the specially designed t-shirts it seems these idiots are in love with the idea of it rather than the actual activity. Their priorities are completely fucked.

His journey will also raise money for Speed the Light, an Assembly of God Missions giving program that will buy a car for a missionary in Mexico, Lemme said.
They could've just saved all the money they're going to spend on food, water and accommodation for all of those people and bought the car instead.

Xdrive05

A few years ago I was driving on a county highway in southern Indiana, and a shirtless old guy was running along the side of the road with one of these segway-crosses on his shoulder like this kid here is doing.

So I guess this is already a thing.

Fritz

The real offense is that he is carrying it to the White House, isn't it? As if there wasn't enough religion in politics already.

pottuvoi

Banned
I just haven't really looked into it in awhile. I thought he was put on the cross and then bled out / was hit by stones until he died.
Apparently suffocation and dehydration are quite possible causes of death..
The real offense is that he is carrying it to the White House, isn't it? As if there wasn't enough religion in politics already.
Indeed, government and religions should be separated and all religions should have same status as a some sort of club activity with no tax relief.

mavs

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, after all the White House is the building that represents this country. But yeah, that is annoying.

Enosh

So:
Support team
Moderate climate
Cross on wheels

Last time I checked, Jesus:
had no support team, only people throwing stones at him and calling him names
was in the middle-east where it could get 140 degrees Fahrenheit
had to drag the cross over the ground

How does this bring Jesus back into people's lifes? Here's an idea; instead of being a pretentious prick, do what Jesus did and teach others to be tolerant and respectful towards each other.
Jesus is well-known as it is, it's just that "Love thy neighbour"-bit seems to be lacking in society.
yeah but jesus only had to drag the cross one day, this guy plans on 5 weeks, so I guess it evens out
also jesus had some guy help him carry the cross some part of the way iirc

Orayn

Children born to religious parents aren't robbed of all ability to rationally think.

Yeah, but growing up in an environment where you're constantly bombarded with the idea that critical thinking is bad doesn't help. I'd say religion is a choice to a person with sufficient reasoning skills and a balanced perspective. Lots of "dyed in the wool" religious types are lacking in one or both.

BFIB

So he's dragging this big ass cross up to DC. He does realize he has to bring it back, right?

glaurung

What if this is a viral campaign to promote a new christian sports event, the Jesusthlon?

First you run with your cross, then you swim with your cross (it's a floatation device), then you build a bicycle out of your cross.

It's walking on highways illegal? I thought there were no pedestrians allowed on most highways? I mean, let him do whatever he wants, as long as he's not breaking any laws or causing traffic jams

Fritz

What if this is a viral campaign to promote a new christian sports event, the Jesusthlon?

First you run with your cross, then you swim with your cross (it's a floatation device), then you build a bicycle out of your cross.

this would take much of the burden, literally.

Enco

He can do whatever he wants.

I don't get the reasoning and I would never do something like that but good luck to him.

Oppo

He can do whatever he wants, even if it is totally self-righteous....

but the thing that bugs me is they all look like kids in that pic. kids don't know better. they've been talked into this by some religious adults who ought to know better, but choose not to. that bugs the shit out of me.

genjiZERO

This is one of those things that annoys non-Christians. I'm fine with people having their religious convictions, but keep it to yourself. There's no reason to incessantly remind everyone what your beliefs are through obnoxious acts.

This is one of those things that annoys non-Christians. I'm fine with people having their religious convictions, but keep it to yourself. There's no reason to incessantly remind everyone what your beliefs are through obnoxious acts.

Isn't that the definition of modern religion?

bengraven

The look on his face just screams "I am a fucking idiot, why did I do this."

Actually, it's probably: "Wow, this is really fucking hard...now I know the anguish Jesus went through".

After he quits, which he probably will unless some church decides to sponsor him and basically ra-ra him to the finish line, he's going to be an even bigger asshole.

DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID? I DID THAT FOR YOU AND YOUR SOUL AND OMG IT WAS HARD, SHOW SOME RESPECT.

Edit: oh, I missed the line about the support team. Yeaaaah, they're not going to let him quit. COME ON KEEP GOING, DON'T TURN FROM CHRIST.

I SWEAR I'LL LET YOU TOUCH MY BOOBS AFTER COLLEGE AND AFTER WE'VE BEEN MARRIED IN THE SIGHT OF GOD AND ONLY ON OUR WEDDINNG NIGHT IF I'M NOT ON MY PERIOD WHICH IS AN ABOMINATION SO RA RA KEEP GOING!

Switters

According to all gospels but John, a man named Simon was compelled by the Romans to carry Christ's cross to the Whitehouse.

At least we got Barabbas out of it. Dude knows how to party.

Being bi-polar and brought up in charismatic evangelical churches, I can tell you that a lot of this passion stuff really smacks of the ecstatic mania I go through once in a while. It's creepy to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom