• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are transgendered folk obligated to disclose that information to potential mates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Attraction is primarily physical, but it can be quelled by the not-so physical; such as finding out the person you're attracted to was previously a male complete with a penis, bare chest and other primarily male features.

It's a complete and utter turn off to me, quite frankly.

As someone that was diagnosed with "Sharp Knees", i promissed myself that i would never ever quote you in a discussion related to this ... but ...

Attraction is primarily physical, but it can be quelled by the not-so physical; such as finding out the person you're attracted to was previously a male complete with a penis, bare chest and other primarily male features.

It's a complete and utter turn off to me, quite frankly.

YOU PROVED YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR SIXTH SENSE !!!!

xD

doesn't he just believe that you gender identity isn't a choice? Or am I reading it wrong?

It is a matter of belief as much as gravity is.
If you see the video i relinked, you can say that gender identity is set on the stone don't matter how many hormones you take or don't take

Sibylus

Banned
I think the issue is here you simply cant convince people that if you take out penis and substitute it with a vagina, you're suddenly a woman. To the person in question, they might feel that way. But not to others.

Personally, in my opinion i don't think surgery, medications or makeup will change your biological blue print. If you're born a man, then you're a man. Nothing can change this in my opinion. If my mother wanted to be a man then more power to her. But i will always see her as woman
Well, I have some thoughts about this general matter. A tad longwinded, but hopefully worth the read.

Sex, gender, and sexual orientation have classically been thought to be bound together on the same axis, more or less something like this (quick and dirty scribble ahoy):

yAg5o.jpg

But experience and study alike have shown that this arrangement fails to fully describe the sheer variance present within humanity. Homosexuality is a great example, it shatters the presumption that all men are born to love women, and all women to love men. Add in a simple representation of one intersex variation and you get something that looks like this:

hs4Qs.jpg

Well, clearly this is already not working, the dual-axis male-female model is starting to suffer significant deformation. If transgenderism has it roots in biology and not social fancy (as the mounting evidence suggests), it would imply (to some degree, however small or large) a decoupling of sex and gender, and clinging to the hardline model of old would smack of undue stubbornness.

And from what I understand of the scientific work and progress being made with regard to these matters, variance, and not rigidity, is winning the day. The more we learn of our own biology, the less and less rigid it becomes with regards to our classical categorization and conceptions. If we run down the line with a model something like the above, delineate all the observed variations, one begins to see something that resembles less and less the classical two axes, and more a great tree with many extant branches (aesthetically, much like the great tree of life). If you can't see that mess for what it is, you cling to a biology decades (if not centuries) out of date, from times when simpler answers and simpler models were all that were within reach and appetite.

I personally believe everyone's gender has already been decided upon conception. I mean no disrespect to you lexi. I have nothing against you. But that's simply my opinion on the matter. Until someone convinces me otherwise
What would you make of someone like Cheryl Chase, who by genetics is a woman (XX), but by gender and genitalia is intersexed? If your belief held merit, she ought to be a woman in all respects.

Orayn

What would you make of someone like Cheryl Chase, who by genetics is a woman (XX), but by gender and genitalia is intersexed? If your belief held merit, she ought to be a woman in all respects.

I also think he might have a hard time with androgen insensitivity syndrome, whose expressions range from men with mild fertility problems to women who can have completely normal female bodies despite being "genetically male."

Platy

Well, I have some thoughts about this general matter. A tad longwinded, but hopefully worth the read.

Sex, gender, and sexual orientation have classically been thought to be bound together on the same axis, more or less something like this (quick and dirty scribble ahoy):

yAg5o.jpg

But experience and study alike have shown that this arrangement fails to fully describe the sheer variance present within humanity. Homosexuality is a great example, it shatters the presumption that all men are born to love women, and all women to love men. Add in a simple representation of one intersex variation and you get something that looks like this:

hs4Qs.jpg

Well, clearly this is already not working, the dual-axis male-female model is starting to suffer significant deformation. If transgenderism has it roots in biology and not social fancy (as the mounting evidence suggests), it would imply (to some degree, however small or large) a decoupling of sex and gender, and clinging to the hardline model of old would smack of undue stubbornness.

And from what I understand of the scientific work and progress being made with regard to these matters, variance, and not rigidity, is winning the day. The more we learn of our own biology, the less and less rigid it becomes with regards to our classical categorization and conceptions. If we run down the line with a model something like the above, delineate all the observed variations, one begins to see something that resembles less and less the classical two axes, and more a great tree with many extant branches (aesthetically, much like the great tree of life). If you can't see that mess for what it is, you cling to a biology decades (if not centuries) out of date, from times when simpler answers and simpler models were all that were within reach and appetite.

Long Story Short

iirate

I would be really fucking angry if I was making out with a guy, regardless of what gender they identify with and did not tell me. Regardless of my personal sexual orientation.

Good thing that isn't what we're discussing.

edit: i swear that post was quoting something else

The fuck is wrong with some of you, seriously. There is literally nothing that can be said to convince half these people that they're being bigots. This thread is on repeat and each time another shithead comes in and starts off with how they're approving only to say something contradictory. Then lines start getting drawn in the sand as if they actually make sense.

Broken record of bigotry up in this hizzy.

Can some of you just not have children? You can adopt. That's fine. I mean, it's only genetic or whatever the fuck logic your brain uses to come to such asinine conclusions.

Yeah, I know we aren't getting to the more "opinionated" posters that we may be replying to, but such an argument can bring good information to more moderate people that may not know much about the subject.

Garbaga

Banned
As someone that was diagnosed with "Sharp Knees", i promissed myself that i would never ever quote you in a discussion related to this ... but ...

YOU PROVED YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR SIXTH SENSE !!!!

xD
LOL

I admit that their are some cases where I simply wouldn't be able to tell (Nong Poy), but those are exceptionally rare.

poy_treechada_71_TlLzXnn.sized.jpg

MARS076_001.jpg

This particular person directly said that I'm an insult to his daughter and wife.
I never singled you out in the malice way you make it sound. I never even mentioned your name.

You guys can talk all about gender being in the mind and soul if you want to. But the physical evidence is in the genes. They don't lie and cannot be altered. If you posses a "Y" chromosome, then physically you are a man. No knife or drug can ever change that.

Lexi, I would never disrespect you and call you anything other than what you would want me to call you (example: This is Lexi. She is a woman), but I can never truly think of you as a 100% true woman the same as I do when I see the women in my life. If you are a true 100% woman, then what are they, 110% true woman? You are not equal when it comes to womanhood. As I said before, the majority of the men in this thread strongly agree with me on this. They have expressed that they feel the exact same way. The difference is that maybe I am more direct about it.

For me, this is just a thread in passing that I'm sharing my opinion in, but for you, it's your everyday reality and if I was insensitive maybe I need to work on my delivery in the future but I'm not sorry about what I said and am saying here now.

I don't think I have ever called anyone out of their name in the 4 or 5 years of me being on these forums. Yet you guys feel you have the right to directly insult me and call me names out of malice. I have the right to my opinion and you have the right to yours. Lets keep this a discussion and not a personal bashing.

docbon

Yeah, I know we aren't getting to the more "opinionated" posters that we may be replying to, but such an argument can bring good information to more moderate people that may not know much about the subject.

word. despite the nonsense that occurred throughout the course of the thread, i do find the subject fascinating.

Lexi, I would never disrespect you and call you anything other than what you would want me to call you.

that (corny as fuck) bit of forced outrage did pretty much this.

Orayn

I never singled you out in the malice way you make it sound.

You guys can talk all about gender being in the mind and soul if you want to. But the physical evidence is in the genes. They don't lie and cannot be altered. If you posses a "Y" chromosome, then physically you are a man. No knife or drug can ever change that.

Read the post I made in response to Botolf's. Please. Read it now, because it's a direct refutation of what you just said.

Platy

If i had money and time I would go to any atheist or any non-religion related thread in gaf,and find EVERYONE of those who posted here saying that they "know" and basicaly they were making sex with a dude, email then all the scientific evidence that proves otherwise and then go jay and silent bob on every single one of then (wich is the majority here on neogaf .. like the majority here in this thread irrationaly think a transgirl is a man)

Complaining about that people believing in what they WANT to believe and not in what science says and then coming and ignoring YEARS of scientific, neurological, psycological, psyquiatric and every other kind of stuff (YES, even GENETICAL .. see the mickey/minie link already posted here by chezmo and most intersexual condition) because they KNOW and BELIEVE that
1) gender and sex is the same thing
2) transwomen are man and transmen are women
3) an heterosexual men cannot make sex to a post op transwomen without having an specific paraphilia
4) you can ALWAYS tell that a XY person is XY and a XX person is XX

[/rant]

.... can anyone bother to ask more girls on the girl gaf thread to ask a "girl with a female to male dude" version ?
Ignoring fertility and with both options of perfect and imperfect/not made surgery downstairs

Gaygaf also works

95% of this thread is heterosexual male gaf

word. despite the nonsense that occurred throughout the course of the thread, i do find the subject fascinating.

that (corny as fuck) bit of forced outrage did pretty much this.
Meaning that if a trans person wished me to address them as a he or her, despite my personal opinion, I would oblige.

No outrage here and nothing forced or corny from me ever, word?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, I don't think chromosomes tell the whole story. Disorders like androgen insensitivity have some pretty interesting results.

If you're balls deep and you don't sense that anything is wrong then I think, "Doesn't matter, had sex" is an acceptable reaction.

fireside

Lexi, I would never disrespect you and call you anything other than what you would want me to call you (example: This is Lexi. She is a woman), but I can never truly think of you as a 100% true woman the same as I do when I see the women in my life. If you are a true 100% woman, then what are they, 110% true woman? You are not equal when it comes to womanhood. As I said before, the majority of the men in this thread strongly agree with me on this. They have expressed that they feel the exact same way. The difference is that maybe I am more direct about it.

The majority of men in this thread are transphobic, that makes it okay.

iirate

The majority of men in this thread are transphobic, that makes it okay.

It's quite possible, but you know that the majority always has the facts. I can't think of a single period of time in history in which ignorant thoughts have been popular or held as truth.

lexi

Banned
Meaning that if a trans person wished me to address them as a he or her, despite my personal opinion, I would oblige.

I don't know what you expect from me for such a relatively simple courtesy. I kinda get the feeling you consider it such a big deal to refer to me as she.

Boogiepop

Amount of "but they're not REALLY women" in here, direct or otherwise, is pretty... ugggggh.

But anyway, just wondering, as it seems like there plenty of guys out there (and in here) that say that trans is a dealbreaker, but is that as frequent an occurrence for lesbian transwomen/gay transmen to run into? I know it may not be quite as common to find data on, but I'm really curious as to whether the issue is as frequent in those communities.

Oh, and as to the topic, I'd definitely say yes, but it's a real tough question as to when. Obviously the longer you wait, the more potential there is for a dangerous backlash, but at the same time it's a bit of an important secret to a lot of trans people that you wouldn't necessarily want to trust someone with before you really got to know them.

Most of the true bigotry on this thread has come from the pro trans gendered side.

Someone saying they fully support the rights of trans people to act and be called what they want, but saying they personally would not want a relationship with such a person, is not displaying bigotry. It is at the most, prejudice, but it is not bigotry.

There are many other smaller factors than someone under going sexual reassignment that can destroy an otherwise seemingly well matched relationship. To act as if it is no large deal, or anyone citing it as a valid reason to break off a relationship is displaying some unreasonable malicious belief, is ludicrous and shows a level of intolerance that is disturbing.

someday

Banned

I've been reading this thread for the past couple of days and I just want to respond to the bolded above. I'm a "born" woman, as I suppose Dark Octave would see it and I completely disagree with you on this. I have absolutely no problem at all considering Lexi as a real woman, not particularly different from me or any other woman. And if I remember correctly, at least one other "born" woman in this very thread said the same thing. If we consider them women then how can you say that it's disrespectful to the women in your life to not see them as women as well? I mean, physically we women run the gamut so I don't see that as the defining feature. Being a woman (or a man) is more than just sex bits. You can carve anything you want with the physical human body but it's something in the mind that makes the essence of a woman. I wish I was as eloquent as some of you have been during this thread, but I just couldn't read that argument any longer without responding.

MIKEAL

Banned
I think your obligated as soon as kissing/fondling sessions seem imminent. If you make out with a guy before telling him, you risk seriously fucking with his head heh

iirate

Most of the true bigotry on this thread has come from the pro trans gendered side.

Someone saying they fully support the rights of trans people to act and be called what they want, but saying they personally would not want a relationship with such a person, is not displaying bigotry. It is at the most, prejudice, but it is not bigotry.

There are many other smaller factors than someone under going sexual reassignment that can destroy an otherwise seemingly well matched relationship. To act as if it is no large deal, or anyone citing it as a valid reason to break off a relationship is displaying some unreasonable malicious belief, is ludicrous and shows a level of intolerance that is disturbing.

Please cut the hyperbole. To say what you just did ignores a lot of side comments from the pro-immediate disclosure side that don't have anything directly to do with this thread. I understand and agree that there are reasons that a partner may not be interested in a trans individual; I get the aversion to major surgical procedures, or genitalia that you are averse to, or issues with reproduction that may come up. What is less understandable is an aversion to someone simply based on their trans status, even if everything was lining up otherwise, or the often stated belief (in this thread) that a trans woman is less of one than a cis woman.

I've been reading this thread for the past couple of days and I just want to respond to the bolded above. I'm a "born" woman, as I suppose Dark Octave would see it and I completely disagree with you on this. I have absolutely no problem at all considering Lexi as a real woman, not particularly different from me or any other woman. And if I remember correctly, at least one other "born" woman in this very thread said the same thing. If we consider them women then how can you say that it's disrespectful to the women in your life to not see them as women as well? I mean, physically we women run the gamut so I don't see that as the defining feature. Being a woman (or a man) is more than just sex bits. You can carve anything you want with the physical human body but it's something in the mind that makes the essence of a woman. I wish I was as eloquent as some of you have been during this thread, but I just couldn't read that argument any longer without responding.

<3 you all, and thanks for the support. I know that there are plenty of women out there that are less accepting of trans people, but the women in my life that I'm out to (including my mom and two sisters) have all been wonderful. The men, too, for that matter, but I feel like there has been a greater understanding among the women in my life.

mollipen

The mind in itself is shaped by the person's biological sex which in turn orientates the person's gender.

I'm not saying I support this idea, but if this is what you believe, then it only seems logical that there could then be a biological defect occur that causes the person's gender to be written incorrectly.

Dead Man

I never singled you out in the malice way you make it sound. I never even mentioned your name.

For me, this is just a thread in passing that I'm sharing my opinion in, but for you, it's your everyday reality and if I was insensitive maybe I need to work on my delivery in the future but I'm not sorry about what I said and am saying here now.

I don't think I have ever called anyone out of their name in the 4 or 5 years of me being on these forums. Yet you guys feel you have the right to directly insult me and call me names out of malice. I have the right to my opinion and you have the right to yours. Lets keep this a discussion and not a personal bashing.
You said it was offensive to your mother for trans women to call themselves women. There is no way to wriggle out of that. Own it.

And you think the chromosomes is all that constitutes gender? You got some learning to do, boy.

Thanks for this post.

Emitan

You said it was offensive to your mother for trans women to call themselves women. There is no way to wriggle out of that. Own it.

And you think the chromosomes is all that constitutes gender? You got some learning to do, boy.

Thanks for this post.

You can't say boy! You don't know their chromosomes yet!

fireside

Whatever you say buddy

This is a transphobic opinion:

You are not equal when it comes to womanhood.

This is saying that because the majority of men in the thread agree with that opinion, it is okay:

As I said before, the majority of the men in this thread strongly agree with me on this.

I was simply clarifying Dark Octave’s argument. If you have a problem with Dark Octave calling the majority of the men in this thread transphobic, take it up with him, not me.

Dead Man

You can't say boy! You don't know their chromosomes yet!

LOL.

And how did I miss this gem?

Dark Octave said:
As I said before, the majority of the men in this thread strongly agree with me on this.

Who gives a fuck? I bet I could find 100 people who said... monkeys existing disproves evolution. Would it make them right just because they have a consensus?

You are just not very good at reasoning, being considerate, or conveying your thoughts. I don't say that to be mean, and I would never disrespect you and will respect your choices, but it is the truth.

akira28

I'm going back to lurk mode. After I go make nachos. at this point itt transGAF vs "transphobic" GAF. (And later the world.)

lexi

Banned
This thread btw is excellent if you want to practice how far you can take your transphobia without being banned. It's like Russian Roulette, only with no bullets in the chamber!

mollipen

I'm going back to lurk mode. After I go make nachos. at this point itt transGAF vs "transphobic" GAF. (And later the world.)

Unfortunately, that's pretty much how all of these threads end. I (personally) can't really blame either side, because I think most of the people in these discussions are good and rational people, it's just that the argument gets heater, people get tired of feeling like their opinions aren't being considered and/or listened to, and tempers get short.

That isn't to say that there aren't people who just don't give a shit about the trans topic, aren't willing to listen to the other side, and have no problem being insulting—because there certainly are. But it's a very passionate topic, and it can still be hard for both sides to find a middle ground where a lot of agreement can be found.

Which, of course, is a shame, and until that can happen more, it's going to continue to be a tough road to walk for people who are trans.

This thread btw is excellent if you want to practice how far you can take your transphobia without being banned. It's like Russian Roulette, only with no bullets in the chamber!

I'm kinda surprised this thread has been ban-free so far.
I expected shit hitting the fan by page 3 (in superior-mode 100post GAF, obviously).
It's probably that about 60% of GAF would be banned if transphobia was bannable on the same level as homophobia.

Still, I don't really get what's insulting about the fact that trans girls aren't 100% like real girls.
People can be different without being better or worse.

Pollux

I've been think about this for the last few hours. Will elaborate later, on phone now. But, I don't think a woman has any obligation to tell me anything she doesn't want to. Would I like to know before we get intimate? Yes.

Also, Lexi, please post more. You're posts have been the highlight of the thread.

Yoshiya

You being a gay man, and other people in this thread being transsexuals, you guys might be more used to having a more "conscious" way of dealing with attraction (or you might not, I don't know); all I know is that as a straight male, I'd be vary wary of opening that Pandora's box, that is taking such a deliberate approach to what should be attractive to me and what shouldn't.

I'm LTTP on this, but I just wanted to say that, yes, you are very very right to feel this way.

squidyj

Wowwwww... As a pro tip I would never presume to speak for anyone other than myself, kthxbai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom