• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Fire

I liked the trailer. My younger brother who also likes nintendo, but not as much as me, was like "BEST CONSOLE EVER" lol

I'm so looking forward to january. Gonna be a long wait. At least we have Sun/Moon to make the wait easier :p

JaseMath

I don't feel like the trailer did enough to sell why it's so different from the Wii U. It honestly looked like a Wii U Plus.

Blues1990

As a proof of concept, the Nintendo Switch sounds cool. The video did it's part to be as clear as possible about what the system is & what it does, so more treats for Nintendo on getting that across.

The controllers that slide to the side look a little funky, so I hope they're reasonably comfortable. The big thing that I'm concerned, is the battery life, as this thing better work for more than six hours.

Getting rid of the disc drive is the biggest difference between the Switch and XBox One/PS4. If it's on a flash memory card with a connection comparable to at least USB 3, it won't require 20 min installs and excessive storage to play a game. I welcome this, because this will be the ONLY current gen console that keeps a console's greatest strength: immediate plug-and-playability.

Speaking of which, while it's portability is fine, I'm looking forward to playing games that have been mostly tied to portables. Hopefully, we won't have to wait long before we see a proper console Pokemon RPG for the Switch, as Game Freak/The PKM Company can't avoid it for much longer.

Ultimately, despite what I said, it makes me really sad that I'm even thinking about not purchasing the new Nintendo System. The Wii U just didn't have enough for me.

oti

Banned
I don't feel like the trailer did enough to sell why it's so different from the Wii U. It honestly looked like a Wii U Plus.

Not calling it the new controller and showing people playing it as far away from their TV as possible
ON A PLANE
was plenty different.

I'm way more excited about Switch after playing with my NES Mini quite a bit over the past day.

I forgot how much I loved Nintendo, but after playing some of these games, I'm really excited for a new Nintendo console.

Brhoom

Banned
Stardew Valley
Punch Club 1
Undertale
Sheltered
This War of Mine

And many more indie games that are great, but I don't want to turn on my PC to play them, I'm willing to double dip if they are ported to Switch.

AdanVC

Well that's true into some extent but it seems NS will not use 2screen/motion gameplay as their main selling point wich means they are going back into pure straight forward gameplay. Since this is going to be used as a portable device too, it doesn't make sense if they keep developing games based around silly motion gimmicks or 2 screen modes because how are you gonna play those type of games on the go? Not practical at all. With that alone I'm already more hyped than what I was with the Wii U. Also the new NS Gamepad thingy looks nice and sleek, nothing to compare with the Gamepad on Wii U wich always looked like a toy made by Playskool.

I definitely hope that the NES Mini's emulation will be the minimum standard in the Switch's VC. It's sad that the Wii U VC's emulation sucks for almost every system. I think only TG16 is as good, and that only just came out in the western VC.

People praise the DS and GBA emulation, but both still have that dark "filter" (folks say the GBA games are made dark and just made brighter on screens?), but even then, they could have an option to light up the image in the VC releases.

I dunno. Which systems on Wii U did NERD do again? DS? M2 did GBA and D4 did TG16 IIRC.

I still question why DS and GBA VC wasn't on New 3DS at least and also why DS games couldn't have been on the eShop like Wii games on Wii U eShop.

WarioWare Touched from MyNintendo was treated as a DSiWare game, but that's very unfeasible due to the memory used specifically for DSiWare games is so limited (and you can't retain save data if you transfer the games to an SD Card IIRC). So weird.

Who's ready to make the switch?

Almost there but not quite. Dont give consumers a choice. Gently prod them in the direction you want. The proper slogan should be

"Switch it up"

This better plays to the hustle and bustle lifestyle of the folks in the reveal trailer.

AzaK

What we usually get we talk bout gaming is some people talking w.r.t Nintendo and the industry and others talking w.r.t. themselves as gamers. I'm in the latter group for the most part so when Nintendo does something that might be good for them but I see it as bad for me I'm not happy. With that in mind, here's my views on the trailer.

I'm generally up on it as it was nice to finally see it and I do like the idea of taking the thing out on occasion for my kids and myself for the odd bedtime gaming.

I understand Nintendo had to target a certain demographic and not confuse things but I think the whole "play in the car" idea was fell flat a bit by not showing kids doing it. Adults squeeze around the small screen, holding small controllers I feel looks a little negative. Kids however would have looked awesome and possibly attracted parents. That said, we all know it was just the reveal for a certain group and I expect we'll see a variety of marketing coming from them.

For us gamers, I would have liked to have seen more quality footage from Zelda and Skyrim. Zelda had a bad frame rate in some places which, if you are a gamer, you notice and so doesn't send a good , powerful message. We know this thing is going to be way more powerful than Wii U so why not show it.

Other than that it was fine I think and probably one of the better things they have done in a while. Certainly good to totally drop the Wii branding and style.

Who's ready to make the switch?

Not me. As I've said over the years (Since Wii U's shitness became apparent) I'm not buying another Nintendo console until I see a fully fledged system with good Western AAA support. By that I mean beyond shit launch ports. Now maybe the system comes with something so amazing that we haven't seen yet and the value of that one thing trumps anything else I could have imagined then I'll rethink. For that to happen though it would have to be something like "All your pc library plays on the switch".

Speely

Banned
Edit: thanks for this thread!

I thought the trailer was great. It clearly showed what the device is and can do, and it made it look like a cool, desirable piece of hardware. Nice range of first and third party games to show it off, as well.

I liked them ending it with a esports scene, and for a newer Nintendo IP at that. It very much communicates a focus on moving forward and embracing a more modern platform in which to potentially innovate, in Nintendo's own style. The whole trailer screamed "modern" and "cutting edge" to me, in fact, and seeing new Mario and Zelda games included in that definitely made it feel like the Switch will preserve the magic of Nintendo games even so.

MoonFrog

The trailer a) confirmed the hybrid rumors, which were already pretty solid and also made the most sense out of Nintendo's position, and that was good but a nonevent for me; b) put a really weird spin on the device that left me scratching my head (exacerbated by rumors after reveal): home console, tent pole western games (including a really old one), low battery life, etc.--it needs to prove itself as 3DS successor that could get Nintendo's home console products and some (Japanese) third party ports as well as Japan is where it has the most potential for consumer/developer support and mindshare; c) I don't like the system's aesthetics from name to broken d-pad to just general look--not a big deal but I had hoped for something I'd like to look at it and talk about in a superficial sense.

So the teaser was pretty meh in my opinion. Did nothing to prove Switch will make use of its potential. But I get I wasn't the target and nor were my fears and hopes.

jnWake

The only thing the Switch inherits from the Wii U is the Off TV play really. Wii U was based around 2 screens and Switch can't do that. I can't see how you can call it a Wii U Plus when it doesn't even have all the features of the Wii U.

Samemind

inb4 lock
JK

Feels nice to have a bunch of stuff we can discuss now that it's out in the open. As for myself, there's a handful points snagging my interest/intent to buy.

• Will it be region free? This is the most important point to me as I've managed to climb the (japanese) language barrier somewhat and depending on localizations is still a hit-or-miss practice
  • Can this platform capture the small japanese developers audience that the Vita currently holds? Considering the rumors (and the game footage they've shown us) currently place the Switch way over the Vita in performance, it would be nice to see a jump to a superior solution than what the Vita+PS4/PSTV combo tries to offer
  • Actually kind of a niche, but I feel pretty strongly about this: there needs to be adequate support for digital art on the Switch. The combination of the community-driven Miiverse with the rudimentary drawing function of the gamepad created a solid creativity-driven audience that no other gaming platform has really achieved and it feels like abandoning that now would be a huge misstep. Particularly if the rumor of a Share button existing pans out. Sure, this is a non-gaming feature but I think it's pretty important as it cultivates a skill that can be useful for more than entertainment
  • How will multiple controllers to one Switch function? This part makes me nervous when I think about it: we've had zero indication that one Switch will support pairing multiple "full" controllers. I know I've seen this talked about briefly a few times, with the most common sentiment being "It's obvious that Nintendo will support 4-player local multi", which I don't disagree with. But let's really look at the situation, because this is not a standard proposition for a gaming platform; how will the consumer audience adapt to the fact that Switch games can have anywhere multiplayer? It's not unreasonable to expect that if two persons are out and about, away from a dock, and they both have a Switch, a pair of JoyCons and a particular game, they should be able to play that way. But what about if you wanted 4p local on a single Switch? Certain kinds of games could work in theory, but would a 6.2in 720p screen be good enough to be worth it? I'm thinking that it might not be possible to pair more than one controller (in other words, a pair of JoyCons or a Pro Controller) to a Switch, since the video they've put out did not indicate the contrary. Instead, it may be that the dock would house whatever components would be necessary to create a registry of paired controllers beyond the first. Or the scarier alternative: 4player games requiring a full controller will only be possible with 4 Switches. The death of a full house Couch multiplayer.
  • Bringing up the Vita again, there's a handful of brilliant design decisions that shouldn't be ignored when it comes to creating a handheld game device in 2017. As a device, its user interface is shockingly sleek and responsive. There is almost no downtime when opening, exiting and switching between apps. As well, the sleep mode is amazing, allowing the device to remain powered on for weeks at a time without dieing. Also dieing; the Vita's system of locking itself into a minimum-power consumption mode when the battery is just about to run out is the masterpiece of power usage design and is worthy of being the standard method of handling the last 5% of battery life in a gaming device. If it's unclear, what this does is retain the current state of whatever you were doing while disabling usage of the device. It has a two-fold purpose:gives a warning that you're about to lose whatever unsaved stuff you had going while simultaneously giving you a grace period to find power and recharge the device, thus meaning it's very hard to lose progress to a dieing battery.

Zero83

The reveal trailer accomplished what it set out to do and it garnered a lot of positive buzz for the product.

I was disappointed that the presentation wasn't longer and that we didn't get to see more of the games. I was also disappointed that the two third party games that was previewed are not confirmed to be in development (I'm not interested in any of them though).

Overall I'm really excited about the system and can't wait for the next presentation. I'm 100% sure Nintendo has got a killer line up of games this time.

• Will it be region free? This is the most important point to me as I've managed to climb the (japanese) language barrier somewhat and depending on localizations is still a hit-or-miss practice

Not quite officially confirmed, but Emily Rogers and Laura Kate Dale have said its not region locked, and they've been correct about everything regarding the Switch's hardware.

hokahey

The reveal trailer accomplished what it set out to do and it garnered a lot of positive buzz for the product.

I was disappointed that the presentation wasn't longer and that we didn't get to see more of the games. I was also disappointed that the two third party games that was previewed are not confirmed to be in development (I'm not interested in any of them though).

Overall I'm really excited about the system and can't wait for the next presentation. I'm 100% sure Nintendo has got a killer line up of games this time.

I think the intent was very much a teaser. Give em z taste, get them excited, and leave them begging for me. Then in January - bam. Full reveal. Pre-orders go up. Cats and dogs sleeping together. Mass hysteria leading in to March.

Peltz

I like it. I love the likely unified library as well.

Nintendo basically reduced the barriers to enjoy their entire library in every sense with the Switch's design.

It's a true hybrid in the gameplay sense as well: you can have traditional local console multiplayer on one screen and everyone can have their own Pro controller, or everyone can have their own Switch for a handheld style local multiplayer.

Plus, Nintendo games will look amazing on hardware that is rumored to be more powerful than the Wii U - which already had great looking 1st party games.

Samemind

Not quite officially confirmed, but Emily Rogers and Laura Kate Dale have said its not region locked, and they've been correct about everything regarding the Switch's hardware.

Yup, that's a good part of why I'll feel good about pre-ordering one asap. But as with everything, I can only reserve my enthusiasm until official confirmation.

Snagret

I was ok with the video, it sold me on the concept, at least. Looks like a cool system. They've GOT to knock it out of the park with the game announcements, though. I need specific games to wrap my excitement around, and another version of Skyrim, a bunch of ports, and a version of Zelda I could also just play on my WiiU just ain't gonna cut it.

I want to be excited about this thing, so I can't wait to see what they've got up their sleeves.

The Switch kinda fell to the back of my mind until this thread reminded me of it. Don't particularly care what the hardware is; just biding my time until the software showcase in January.

120v

i think that's kind of a good thing.

remote play in and of itself is a system seller imo but the inability to take the "pad" out of the household is what killed Wii U's pitch. sure, it's cool to take your game to another room but not compelling enough to build an entire system's concept around. this is the exact opposite of that, despite essentially being Wii U Redux

JaseMath

i think that's kind of a good thing.

remote play in and of itself is a system seller imo but the inability to take the "pad" out of the household is what killed Wii U's pitch. sure, it's cool to take your game to another room but not compelling enough to build an entire system's concept around. this is the exact opposite of that, despite essentially being Wii U Redux

It's actually a full portable.

The key feature of the WiiU was the double screen, totally different things

The only thing the Switch inherits from the Wii U is the Off TV play really. Wii U was based around 2 screens and Switch can't do that. I can't see how you can call it a Wii U Plus when it doesn't even have all the features of the Wii U.

Not calling it the new controller and showing people playing it as far away from their TV as possible
ON A PLANE
was plenty different.

Guys...I'm a huge, lifelong fan. I know what the Switch is...or what it's supposed to be. The real question is will the average consumer—the consumer that bypassed the Wii U—will they? Moreover, will they care in a crowded marketplace? Nintendo needs to do a better job on explaining why someone would buy a Switch in place of an iPad or any number of mobile gaming platforms.

AntMurda

Does the vertical console work in everyone's console? Mine is made for horizontally laid boxes. This is a concern of mine.

Stardew Valley
Punch Club 1

And many more indie games that are great, but I don't want to turn on my PC to play them, I'm willing to double dip if they are ported to Switch.

These are both coming to Wii U (and 3DS for Punch Club). I would assume Switch ports are pretty likely.

My only problem with the Switch is the color of the Joy-Cons. That greenish grey with black buttons and sticks... It's pretty ugly. The tablet and dock are super sexy though. Hopefully the color is changed for the final product or they sell Joy-Cons with different colors at least.

The preview video is parody material, as the scenarios mostly don't make any sense, but it did do a good job of making the core concept clear. People understand it's a new system you can play at home and on the go, and not a "new controller" for the current-gen console.

Guys...I'm a huge, lifelong fan. I know what the Switch is...or what it's supposed to be. The real question is will the average consumer—the consumer that bypassed the Wii U—will they? Moreover, will they care in a crowded marketplace? Nintendo needs to do a better job on explaining why someone would buy a Switch in place of an iPad or any number of mobile gaming platforms.

None of those things can play console level AAA experiences on the go. Definitely not more than a few seconds or minutes.

This is a console that fits with your lifestyle.

But youre right: Nintendo needs to really drive home that the games on the switch are way more advanced than anytbing youd get on an ipad or mobile phone.

Genio88

The reveal trailer was fine, the problem is the lack of details about hardware, games, price and bundles...they should have announced those things right after the trailer and start the preorders taking advantage of holiday season...instead everything is delayed until january, can't wait anywy

topplehat

Really excited for it, and the details coming in January.

My favorite part is the streamlined development of Nintendo games. Nintendo will be completely focused on one system so the output should be constant

hDCGA.jpg

What a great thread that was, these pics still get me.

Mediking

It's day one. Hopefully its $250 and comes in different colors. Please just don't be black. Go for style at launch.

dtm808

They have to an extent. You can play full AAA console games on the go and at home. No other android/ios devices can do that.

Anyone want to wager an avatar bet?

I bet that the Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5 collection will be released on the Nintendo Switch. I think the late March release for KH might mean its coming to the Switch

Terms: If I win, I get to choose your avatar for a week. If I lose, you get to chose my avatar for a week. No lewd or racist avatars.

They have to an extent. You can play full AAA console games on the go and at home. No other android/ios devices can do that.

And the "20 year" partnership with nVidia will certainly go a long way to keeping things that way. Like other posters have suggested, we could see frequent refreshes to systems in the switch ecosystem with each iteration of nvidias hardware. With Xavier on the horizon for 2018, I could see a more powerful refresh in 2019 or so due to nintendo needed to make modifications of their own.

120v

The real question is will the average consumer—the consumer that bypassed the Wii U—will they? Moreover, will they care in a crowded marketplace? Nintendo needs to do a better job on explaining why someone would buy a Switch in place of an iPad or any number of mobile gaming platforms.

obviously i can't speak for the average consumer but imo the pitch for Switch was a way more concise than Wii U. maybe not a hit out of the ballpark like the original wii but it's plainly obvious what it is, what it does, why you may want to shell out around $300 for it

and i don't think it's really competing in the mobile space. i think it's aiming to for folks whose wii/360 is in the closet but couldn't be bothered to "upgrade" to current gen. it's really looking to augment the "casual" or in this case not-so-core market instead of trying to brute force total dominance over it

Speely

Banned
I'm very interested to see what kind of indie presence we see on the Switch. Seems like a perfect platform for indie games. It would be really cool to see them push the developer's portal in such a way that really encourages indies to publish there.... maybe aggressively pricing their SDKs, for example (just spitballing here.)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
How do you feel about Nintendo Switch's reveal trailer that was aired a month ago?

It was pretty good: it showed clearly the main idea behind the device (the different kinds of "switches" that users can do, especially the versatility of the controller), with a nice visual style. The flow of the video itself was nice: 3:36 minutes packed with stuff showed clearly and in an attractive way (the song used was a great choice as well). Also, the Switch logo animation, complete with the clicking sound, is a perfect combination, and I firmly believe we'll keep seeing it in the future, especially in games' trailers. I wonder if they could use a slightly different version of that animation to highlight if a game is exclusive to the console, has exclusive content, or if it's just coming to Switch (you know, more Microsoft style than Sony style, so no "Bundle with Beta Temporal Exclusive on PS4" of sorts :p ).

bibs

I'll be getting a Nintendo Switch day one being a very big Nintendo fan. However, I hope the third party situation is a lot better than it was on Wii U. I would really love to play games like Watchdogs 2, Battlefield 1, Titanfall, Tomb Raider etc. I know the chances of some of these games coming to the Switch is low but hopefully Nintendo understands that solid third party support will help make this console more palatable to the masses who perhaps needs more games than just Nintendo ones. We will find out in 2 months and I'm quite excited. In the meantime, I'll finish of Colour Splash as well as the new Pokemon game when it comes out.

Matt

Reposting from another thread.

So guys have been doing some research and I came to a conclusion. I am not sure how muc this has been discussed here. Looking at the Nvidia shield products they are so similar to the switch. Is it possible Nintendo basically said Nvidia do your thing make the from a hardware perspective what you invisioned for your next shield product. Yes our name will be on it and we will do the marketing and such. Now this has benefits for both companies. Obviously revenue for both of them. I have a co worker that has a shield and he plans on buying the switch just because it Nvidia handling the specs. He loved his shield tablet and when I showed him the announcement video he was like yeah day 1. Could this device get those Nvidia customer that were waiting on the next shield product? Also reference third parties this could help Nintendo. If Nvidia went to third parties and said we are doing the tech think of this as the next Nvidia gaming machine instead of the next Nintendo machine. That could help a bunch with getting third parties on board. Just look at the games that were available for shield portable and tablet. I think it was a smart move for nintendo to get Nvidia on board this may pay off big time.
Nah. It's a Nintendo machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom