• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Microsoft look at their current upcoming lineup and feel content with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
QEFy5C2.jpg
i never noticed he had a fake chin until now

he said that two years ago. most games take more than two years. the end rip nintendo, microsoft and everyone who's ever played a video game

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Sony, historically, shows CG content or unrepresentative footage (ahem, No Man's Sky) years in advance of what's actually going on. They repeat this time and time again. Or they do stuff like revealing stuff that isn't really theirs, but paid exclusive stuff (like the RE7 demo, which was a paid exclusive demo, for some reason).

Microsoft has recently employed a habit of only showing stuff that's coming out in the near future. Sony will be like "aww yeah, this thing's coming out in three years, get hype!" and Microsoft has gotten increasingly good at only showing stuff they've got release dates for. It's stuff that's been locked in. There's still some holdovers from Mattrick's era (Crackdown 3, Scalebound), but he's not running the show now. I think Rare's Sea of Thieves is the only major game announced this year that Microsoft doesn't have dated? Might have that wrong.

Where we're at right now... Sony basically has nothing, right? Like, nothing at their E3 showing came this year with the exception of The Last Guardian, if I remember right. We've got... what on the horizon, with a firm release date, other than, y'know, Horizon?

I think Microsoft, right now, has an issue with generating player excitement for their games. They've been really good about providing the better console experience, especially with 360 compatibility, better monthly games, and so forth, but their library needs to move beyond the old standbys (Halo, Gears, Forza) and start pushing some new AAA surprises. Something to compete with Assassin's Creed would be the right move.

Rare never made a game better than the Viva Pinata games.

Yup, this sums up my thoughts nicely.

jeffram

No one could have predicted the success Sony has had with the PS4, and that success has let them fund a bunch off the 3rd party exclusives, co-marketing deals, and give their studios time to breath (god of war, and the next game by the killzone team looking spectacular and fresh?). It's not so much what Microsoft isn't doing, it's what Sony is doing.

I'll admit, it's a bit disappointing to see how 343, colition, and turn 10 have been turned into IP production factories. It's going to hurt them in the long run.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sony, historically, shows CG content or unrepresentative footage (ahem, No Man's Sky) years in advance of what's actually going on. They repeat this time and time again. Or they do stuff like revealing stuff that isn't really theirs, but paid exclusive stuff (like the RE7 demo, which was a paid exclusive demo, for some reason).

Microsoft has recently employed a habit of only showing stuff that's coming out in the near future. Sony will be like "aww yeah, this thing's coming out in three years, get hype!" and Microsoft has gotten increasingly good at only showing stuff they've got release dates for. It's stuff that's been locked in. There's still some holdovers from Mattrick's era (Crackdown 3, Scalebound), but he's not running the show now. I think Rare's Sea of Thieves is the only major game announced this year that Microsoft doesn't have dated? Might have that wrong.

Where we're at right now... Sony basically has nothing, right? Like, nothing at their E3 showing came this year with the exception of The Last Guardian, if I remember right. We've got... what on the horizon, with a firm release date, other than, y'know, Horizon?

I think Microsoft, right now, has an issue with generating player excitement for their games. They've been really good about providing the better console experience, especially with 360 compatibility, better monthly games, and so forth, but their library needs to move beyond the old standbys (Halo, Gears, Forza) and start pushing some new AAA surprises. Something to compete with Assassin's Creed would be the right move.
I mean, I understand what you are saying...but I was talking about reveals in general.

You can see MS is trying with new IP but it's not working out for them so far.

Yr 1:
Ryse

Yr 2:
Sunset Overdrive

Yr 3:
Quantum Break
Recore

Ryse was a repurposed Kinect game and Recore was kind of chucked on to the market with no confidence, but yes they have made a few decent stabs at it. Still nothing compared to the first few years of 360 (or even OG Xbox).

They don't want to "bleed" like Sony.

Funny that Microsoft showed they are prepared to take a bath on console prices, whereas Sony will spend up on doomed products while keeping hardware profitable. It's sort of leveled out now, but damn the XB1 price dropped hard and fast.

wapplew

From a Sony fan boy perspective, MS have done a great job to cater their core fans.
They have been producing high quality titles at consistent pace, much better than other 2 first party.

This is why you're one of my favorite posters here on GAF, OP. You always tell it like it is. :p

In fact, I made a similar thread a few weeks ago but instead pertaining to Rare's IPs. Phil Spencer and crew NEED to revive some of these IPs. This would really help the Xbox One have a better and more diverse lineup and it would also bring back a lot of goodwill from gamers (something that they have lost during the Kinect years and during the whole Xbox One launch fiasco). Phil has been promising for the last couple of years that Rare and their plethora of IPs would be better utilized on the Xbox One, but so far, this hasn't come to much at all.

They bought a famous and renowned developer for almost half a billion dollars and have owned them for the last 15 years and done basically nothing with them. I remember finally thinking that with Spencer behind the helm we would see a true revival of both Rare and their IPs finally. But what do we get? Putting Conker in Project Spark and then putting him in that Young Conker Hololens POS? Yeah, nice usage of the IP there. The only positive things to come out so far are Sea of Thieves and Killer Instinct, but that's not saying much. Rare Replay was also a plus I guess, but come on.
people keep banging on the "rare haven't done anything because of microsoft" drum even though their output on the first half of the last generation was pretty prolific and it includes some of the best games they ever made (viva piñata, nuts and bolts)

Gemeanie

As much as I despise Microsoft current gen after being an XB360 only user last gen, I honestly don't think Xbox Department is actually happy with what they have right now.

But people tend to forget Xbox Department still operates under Microsoft who ultimately view it as a spinoff from Windows and Officie family while SIE is a company in Sony Group with its own management and resources.

I don't trust Spencer as much as some do, but I really doubt he didn't want to keep some studios alive and expand third party relation for those "free" exclusives like Japanese games to PS platform if given enough resources from his boss.

Death Stranding being at both E3 and PSX was one of the worst recent examples of this.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
No one could have predicted the success Sony has had with the PS4, and that success has let them fund a bunch off the 3rd party exclusives, co-marketing deals, and give their studios time to breath (god of war, and the next game by the killzone team looking spectacular and fresh?). It's not so much what Microsoft isn't doing, it's why Sony is doing.

I'll admit, it's a bit disappointing to see how 343, colition, and turn 10 have been turned into IP production factories. It's going to hurt them in the long run.

Hurt them how? Those games sell in millions. Those are the games people buy Xbox for. They are not pumping out garbage games,they are all quality.

It's over, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Xbox One hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Xbox One. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in an Xbox One. Except if they want to play Gears of War 4. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

The age of Microsoft is done.

Sorry, I tried. A bit of humor never hurts in these situations.

So you went from "your Lord and Savior" to let's have a "healthy discussion"? Right...

I have to say 2017 seems like the best year for PS4 exclusives yet. They've been a bit lackluster aside from Bloodborne and UC4 in my opinion.

Each have good years and bad years. Not sure why you're so worked up. Keep fighting, warrior.

i never noticed he had a fake chin until now

His character had plastic surgery.

blakep267

How do they not have variety

FPS- halo 5( and likely halo 6 coming)
TPS- Gears of war 4, Quantum break
Racer- forza Motorsport, Forza horizon
RTS- halo wars 2
Fighter- Killer instinct
RPG- scalebound
Open world- Crackdown 3
Shared co-op- state of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves
miscellaneous- Recore, phantom dust, ashen, ori, cuphead, Gigantic, Fable Fortune

If your argument is that they don't have tons of JRPGs then fine, but to say they don't have any variety or nothing out is you just being salty
hippo

farisr

Death Stranding being at both E3 and PSX was one of the worst recent examples of this.
Showing Death Stranding is more in line with what Kojima does in general rather than being something specifically Sony sanctioned. MGS4 teaser trailer in the enhanced MGS3 engine, and Phantom Pain "this is totally not MGSV guys" trailer at the 2012 game awards anyone? And Death Stranding reveal/trailer was at the game awards, not PSX (yes there was a panel there though).

Mechazawa

I remember Sony generally getting clowned on at E3 for showing a bunch of games with indeterminate dates despite having a pretty light looking Fall '16 output, whereas MS' E3 stuff was generally near term stuff.

Granted, this stuff if cyclical, since we've known about Scalebound and Sea of Thieves for at least a couple of years. But your perception now was probably not your perception months ago, at least with respect to quantity.

Hurt them how? Those games sell in millions. Those are the games people buy Xbox for. They are not pumping out garbage games,they are all quality.

Halo and Gears being semi-annual helps too, I think. The only thing really missing from their lineup is some sort of prestige studio that can do artier big budget games not chained to any particular franchise. Maybe set up a dedicated RPG studio too, and not for Fable (LOL).

Come on now you seriously can't be saying this after sony just used their reveals all on PSX, Microsoft has E3 and they just don't need to show all this before the christmas break. That's sony's marketing plan not Microsoft's.

Now excuse me imma bounce.

RYrq1xF.gif

Not sure why you think Sony has used all their reveals and won't have anything new for E3. Sucker Punch is still on deck and they surely have some more external collaborations in development just as Microsoft does. The Last Of Us Part II was really the only thing could have really been saved for E3 as a bomb.

daTRUballin

people keep banging on the "rare haven't done anything because of microsoft" drum even though their output on the first half of the last generation was pretty prolific and it includes some of the best games they ever made (viva piñata, nuts and bolts)

There's nothing wrong with liking their games under MS. Opinions are opinions after all. But would you honestly say Rare up to now have been utilized how you would've wanted them to be utilized?

Alienfan

Sony have a tendency of announcing games extremely early, it's smart because it gets people hyped, but if you actually look at their 2017 line up, it's lacking so far:

Everybody's Golf 7
Gran Turismo Sport
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
MLB The Show 17
Nioh (Worldwide except Japan)
WipEout Omega Collection

and Microsoft's are:

Crackdown 3
Halo Wars 2
Phantom Dust
Sea of Thieves
Scalebound
State of Decay 2
Fable Fortune

(according to Wikipedia)

That 2017 line up, plus having a better 2016 than Sony, I think they're doing fine.

Duxxy3

Microsoft likes to show off fall games at E3. We have some idea of what MS is planning for 2017, but it's not remotely the whole picture.

We have a good idea of what Sony has planned for the next 3 years. Assuming all of these games actually come out.

You say you want a healthy discussion but your original message is riddled with sarcastic and smart ass remarks about Phil or huge assumptions like Sea of Thieves is a Destiny clone.

It was a huge task for Microsoft to unfuck so much of what they did going into this generation. It's got great third party support and I've always been a fan of Xbox Live so I'm pretty happy with my XB1. I've been playing the shit out of my PS4 lately and I do generally like what Sony's done this gen, but I don't feel like you're actually asking for reasonably discussion.

...yeah this is pretty much where I'm at. People still underestimate the damage caused by Mattrick's awful vision. That man single-handedly massacred the brand. Honestly felt like it was headed in that direction in the later 360 years as well. There's a reason he's not doing this type of thing anymore. Also keep in mind that, as said earlier by another poster, you need third party marketing to get and stay ahead. The Call of Duty deal was huge and getting exclusive content for stuff like Destiny was big too. In the end it's not about first party games generating sales, or at least it doesn't feel that way anymore.

As for the actual exclusives, I've preferred Microsoft's offerings so far. But I do believe that 2017 is the year we look back on as when Sony really took over. I'm only mildly interested in Horizon (conversely I'm excited for Scalebound and Halo Wars 2), but FFVII:R and Shenmue 3 were bombshells and those two alone will put Sony out of reach in console sales, not that they aren't already. Plus I think Microsoft will have a couple of big announcements up their sleeves. I imagine there will be some kind of big game advertised alongside the Scorpio...maybe that's Crackdown, but we'll see.

Lastly I'll say that Sony owns the console indie front. That alone deserves to be a major selling point for the system. Sony has done a great job and I think that's why microsoft shifted away from "xbox as a console" and has started moving more towards xbox as a service. Buy once, play anywhere, and future proofing game compatibility goes a long way towards that. Still, let's wait and see how well either company's exclusives perform before we anoint them.

Fuchsdh

Sunset Overdrive deserves a sequel.

It seems like it didn't sell all that well, though, although how much of that is the game versus how much the prevailing climate and funk of early XB1 days, I dunno (I do think that it's a game whose appeal with its chaining combo/flow style doesn't become that evident until an hour or two into the game, so it's easy to see people not sticking with it.)

I'd definitely love a sequel, even if it's basically just the same gameplay with more weapons and enemies and a new location. The only part I think was a bit lacking was Chaos Squad's implementation, otherwise it's definitely my favorite new game of this generation (and an absolutely awesome one to start the gen out with as a palate cleanser to the gritty browns of the last gen.)

Fable Legends would have helped.

A Fable reboot would be welcomed. They don't have a studio that could make it though.

I'd still love to see the numbers on Legends. Seems like they poured so much into it and it was nearly done they might as well have put it out there, even if they shuttered it all of six months later if it was a disappointment.

I feel like it's not even about fanboyism at this point. I play barely any AAA blockbusters, but I still loved the 360 because it had a large variety of games and genres for all tastes. The Xbox One has failed in that regard, and that's why everyone is on PS4 now. Even people who only play the safe games can still benefit from the variety the PS4 has; other people who live in the household would have easy access to them. Events like the Summer of Arcade were a great way to promote the smaller downloadable games while also giving hardcore gamers something to play between the heavy hitters, but they seem to have stopped doing that too.

Many of the titles Sony announced at PSX probably won't sell that well, but they need to exist anyway. AAA games take more time and money to produce than ever before, and the smaller stuff is what keeps people in the ecosystem. I feel that's the biggest thing that Microsoft forgot compared to what they had with the 360 last gen.

I think what you also need to to consider is that imo the last couple of years of the 360 were really weak in terms of quantity and variety while PS3 was knocking it out of the park. I think that has a large part in the shift this gen.

Blam

Salty Hippo indeed.

You don't think Sony has announcements for E3?

I do but I feel like Sony is trying to push for more PS4 Pro/Slim console sales for the winter, so they prematurely showed just about everything they got. I doubt there's going to be much to show off that we don't already know about.

RTS- halo wars 2
Fighter- Killer instinct
RPG- scalebound
Open world- Crackdown 3
miscellaneous- Recore, phantom dust, ashen, ori, cuphead, Gigantic, Fable Fortune

If your argument is that they don't have tons of JRPGs then fine, but to say they don't have any variety or nothing out is you just being salty
hippo

Having "one of each" in a number of important genres is not what I'd call healthy variety. Not when people look across the aisle and can see an equivalent list of PlayStation games would be three times longer.

Asherdude

I don't see any problems with the XB1 line up. I started focusing more on buying games on my Xbox One last year. And right now, everything that I buy is for my XB1. In fact, I gave my PS4 to my sister's family -- they needed something that could play Battlefield 1.

Microsoft will announce some games at E3 that will come out in 2017 or 2018 while Sony continues to hype games they announced in 2016 that won't be out until 2019.

Cuz you guys keep buying their console

In reality it's mostly been a combo of Halo, Gears and Forza plus sprinkle in some Remedy Games or meh IPs

jeffram

Hurt them by creating fatigue and making it harder to intrigue potential buyers. When they do need to shift gears they won't have much to build off of. Hurt them by having their developers not having different experiences to learn from and draw upon. How many game of the years come from developers that only make that one IP? There's a reason.

They are obviously creating good quality products that sell, but I don't know if they are going to expand their business with them.

Kinda feels like a repeat of last gen. Year 3 Sony started killing it with exclusives till the end of the PS3's life cycle.

Leflus

RTS- halo wars 2
Fighter- Killer instinct
RPG- scalebound
Open world- Crackdown 3

hippo
This.

The "Xbox only has Gears/Halo/Forza lol" and "Xbox has no diversity" comments are so silly.

Of course, that's not to say that Xbox doesn't have a ton of untapped potential. The way they mishandled the Fable brand was just terrible, for instance. Perfect Dark could be brought back as a third shooter series. Summer of Arcade is sorely missed. I'm also sure that a Banjo-Kazooie remake, Lost Odyssey remaster and a PGR collection would bring people to both the XBO and W10 stores.

Right now it seems like MS is doing okay in terms of first party support, but in a world where Sony has significantly better third party support that's not enough.

wapplew

I think Xbox one launch lineup was more diverse.
Golf game, sim, hack and slash, rail shooter, adventure, fighting game, lots of variety.
That's on Don Mattrick right?

mnemonicj

Yeah, there are some IP's from Xbone that I really wanna play like Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive. At least Microsoft is still in the game, so we can look forward to healthy competition.

chadskin

This year had QB which was good and FH3 which was fantastic -- but 2017 looks pretty dire as far as my personal (admittedly narrow) tastes are concerned.

I was hoping they'd talk more about their 2017 and 2018 games at a gamescom or PGW press conference, sort of what they did the year before, but that obviously didn't happen, so yeah. I'm sure they'll be alright, though, they do have a good number of games they'll hopefully spread around nicely throughout the year.

In many ways I think 2017 will be a restart year for the Xbox brand, so we'll probably have to wait until next year to get a clearer picture of their plans.

Sony have a tendency of announcing games extremely early, it's smart because it gets people hyped, but if you actually look at their 2017 line up, it's lacking so far:

Everybody's Golf 7
Gran Turismo Sport
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
MLB The Show 17
WipEout Omega Collection

and Microsoft's are:

Crackdown 3
Halo Wars 2
Phantom Dust
Sea of Thieves
Scalebound
State of Decay 2
Fable Fortune

(according to Wikipedia)

That 2017 line up, plus having a better 2016 than Sony, I think they're doing fine.

You're forgetting about the third party games that are getting released on PS4 but not XB1 that really bump up Sony's line up. Sure, a lot of them might come to PC as well but we are living in an age when lot's of games that would previously be Playstation exclusive and ALL Xbox games get PC releases so that's neither here nor there (it's a glorious time though!).

Gaenor

Banned
Microsoft will announce some games at E3 that will come out in 2017 or 2018 while Sony continues to hype games they announced in 2016 that won't be out until 2019.

And yet, both company produce about the same amount of titles year after year this generation.

Excluding of course third-party exclusives.

I'm so glad I enjoy both console's offering.

Everybody's Golf 7
Gran Turismo Sport
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
MLB The Show 17
WipEout Omega Collection

and Microsoft's are:

Crackdown 3
Halo Wars 2
Phantom Dust
Sea of Thieves
Scalebound
State of Decay 2
Fable Fortune

(according to Wikipedia)

That 2017 line up, plus having a better 2016 6than Sony, I think they're doing fine.

NieR Automata
Persona 5
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and 1.5+2.5
Ni No Kuni 2
Crash Bandicoot Collection
Ace Combat 7

Regardless of whether Sony owns, produces or funds those games they are exclusives(or console exclusive) that add a lot to their library. There may be more that I'm forgetting. Of course the ton of digital games as well.

Also Microsoft did not have a better 2016 than Sony on paper looking the number of releases and the reception for those games.

blakep267

Having "one of each" in a number of important genres is not what I'd call healthy variety. Not when people look across the aisle and can see an equivalent list of PlayStation games would be three times longer.
Where are the Sony racers(1 released so far), first person shooters( 1 released so far), shared co op games, RTs? Sony doubles down on cinematic third person game and relies on Japanese games and third party games. Let's not act like the variety is exploding on their side

Outside of shooters, I'm not sure what genre is better represented on Xbox. You get Bloodborne while also having Dark Souls, Uncharted while also having Tomb Raider, you forgo Halo and Gears, but you still get Destiny, Titanfall, Battlefield, CoD, etc while also getting better RPGs, platformers, indies, etc...and I say this as somebody that legitimately enjoys xbox more than Playstation right now. I don't blame anyone for going Sony if they have to choose

Edit: how could I forget racing? Also would give Microsoft strategy actually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom