• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - GamePlay video- Part 1 & 2

Skab

No, no demo for me.

I have to say, it puts me off, it looks like a very sluggish, slow first-person walking simulator with cheap a jump scare awaiting any time.

still no idea how I feel about this game.

No demo because you don't have a ps4 or because you don't want to play it?

No, no demo for me.

I have to say, it puts me off, it looks like a very sluggish, slow first-person walking simulator with cheap a jump scare awaiting any time.

still no idea how I feel about this game.
You would know better on how you feel about the game if you tried the demo. Unless you don't have a PS4 and if so sorry!

Fisty

VR demo on Pro is probably the most scared I've been of a game since RE1, and I was like 12 when I played that.

I can't believe I already preordered the digital deluxe edition, I really hope I can play it for more than 20 minutes

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Looks good. Very heavily inspired by P.T.
Not seeing it, sorry. Looks more like modern horror games to me.
Fuck sake guys Resident Evil REmake was free in October. People seriously need to play that game to get a reminder of what RE used to be, as this is the most RE has truly been inspired by it's roots since REmake.

Fuck sake guys Resident Evil REmake was free in October. People seriously need to play that game to get a reminder of what RE used to be, as this is the most RE has truly been inspired by it's roots since REmake.

Played through and loved REmake and still feels like this game is similar to most first person horror games today.

The scripted events are just too high imo so far and the baker guy is more funny than scary. Hopefully final game has more freedom.

Right now all I wish is that A: The Collector's Edition from GameStop would include the Deluxe Edition contents and be cheaper; B: That I could have nerves of steel and play this without getting scared.

Akronis

Fucking this.

What the fuck do you people who say that it doesn't look like RE want? Do you just want REmake again? This is the most RE looking mainline title since RE3.

Skab

Fucking this.

What the fuck do you people who say that it doesn't look like RE want? Do you just want REmake again? This is the most RE looking mainline title since RE3.

I think most of the people saying that are people who want more of the action styled games.

Blobbers

I can't wait to kill every single Baker. There's no better feeling in games than being hounded by an invincible enemy and fucking him up in the end

Ooccoo

Silent Evil

Not sure if want. Was it too much to have REmake in 2017? This gameplay does nothing to me, it's a blatant ripoff from P.T. and Amnesia with shitty gunplay.

Crossing Eden

Played through and loved REmake and still feels like this game is similar to most first person horror games today.

The scripted events are just too high imo so far and the baker guy is more funny than scary. Hopefully final game has more freedom.
These are heavily rehearsed videos. Resident Evil REmake is an incredibly scripted and tightly controlled game in terms of when enemies appear, jump scares, effects, etc. you'd think it was a systemic open world game with the way people are saying this isn't RE. Most horror games today aren't tightly scripted at all due to a lack of budget so they put in a roaming invincible AI mechanic that'll lead to easy deaths and jump scares. This game is like REmake where enemies are tough but killable.

Adobe

Looks amazing! But I do miss some sort of soundtrack. Hopefully the final game has some scary music when chased or attacked by the Bakers. It really adds up to the tension imo.

Ooccoo

These are heavily rehearsed videos. Resident Evil REmake is an incredibly scripted and tightly controlled game in terms of when enemies appear, jump scares, effects, etc. you'd think it was a systemic open world game with the way people are saying this isn't RE. Most horror games today aren't tightly scripted at all due to a lack of budget so they put in a roaming invincible AI mechanic that'll lead to easy deaths and jump scares. This game is like REmake where enemies are tough but killable.

But nobody asked for this. Hopefully RE2make saves us because devs are getting clueless.

Silent Evil

Not sure if want. Was it too much to have REmake in 2017? This gameplay does nothing to me, it's a blatant ripoff from P.T. and Amnesia with shitty gunplay.

It's Resident Evil 1/REmake in first person essentially...

And then in response to someone saying similar to this, and after you said the above, you follow with:

But nobody asked for this. Hopefully RE2make saves us because devs are getting clueless.

So is the problem just that it's first person?

Akiller

I see Baker is supposed to feel threating and scary but he ends up sounding hilarious instead rofl

Best part was the group of small bows fight.

I see Baker is supposed to feel threating and scary but he ends up sounding hilarious instead rofl

Best part was the group of small bows fight.

The voice is bothering me with the higher pitch in most of the lines. It doesn't have the gravity and tone from BH and the dinner scene.

Then again, it could be done purposely for the cheese factor, even though I'd prefer if the lines themselves offered that than the actors hamming it up further.

Crossing Eden

Just like no one asked for RE4 yet similar to RE4 the series was on a heavy decline and in desperate need of a breath of fresh air.

Jawmuncher

"Ooooh boy, now look what you've done mutha fucka" is just the best thing.

---/

As for the debate on the game, I think a lot would be alleviated if it was Third Person. Hopefully RE8 it's a choice.

Skab

Silent Evil

Except it plays nothing like them outside of being the in first person.

Fucking this.

For starters it's a FPV title.
RE7 feels nothing like My first resident evil which was 2 - a superior title compared to RE1.
a game which had a cop who could use a machine gun,blast a megaladon crocodile to pieces and use a stun gun to taze zombies to a pulp, action packed horror at it's best.

so when people complaint about this not being resident evil - it's a fact.
RE7 is a reboot - that no true re fan could simply brush off and say it's back to it's roots.

But alas, the games is not in my hands so I can't judge it completely yet, we'll have to see.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This seems to be the B-Roll of the previews from last week. For those who haven't seen the previews, they were incredibly positive from multiple outlets playing 3-5 hours of the game.

For those wondering why there's no music, it's because the footage was meant to be overlayed with people talking. But nice of them to officially release it.

Ugh. At least give us the ability to block (even if it is just as ineffective). Dudes a chump just standing there getting hit. They need to allow you to be proactive, even if it amounts to nothing.

You can block in the game, weaponless and with weapons.

It's sorely lacking the ability to quick turn. I missed having that in the demo

You can quick-turn, and can even quick-turn in the demo. You even need to quick turn to do the cryptic puzzle (it's holding down and pressing circle on the PS4 controller).

Trace

Banned
Honestly anyone saying this isn't Resident Evil doesn't know what the series is. It was designed from the start as "survival horror" this is about as back to basics for survival horror as you can get. No you're not punching boulders into molten magma craters but that's not "Resident Evil" either.

Does the US get any sweet collectors editions like EU? The house statue is pretty neat.

It's the same one with a few different items. I haven't seen the EU one, but the US gets the House, a VHS tape, the dummy finger, and the note from the demo.

Edit: Oh wait, the house is completely different. The US edition's house lights up and is a music box.

dlauv

Block is in.

Quick turn is in.

You can sprint.

The character gets a pocket knife, I'm pretty sure.

This is all dramatized b-roll footage.

Dusk Golem

Here's some comments from people who've played 3-5 hours of the game on how it feels like Resident Evil and how it differentiates from most first-person horror games, for those curious:

The sequel also eschews the traditional third-person perspective for first-person, and in doing so, has drawn comparisons to story-driven horror titles such as Outlast and Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

But after spending four hours with Resident Evil VII during a recent trip to Capcom Japan, one thing is clear: this is a survival-horror game in every sense of the phrase, with inventory management, item scavenging, and a constant sense of dread.

In fact, based on my time with it, Resident Evil VII so closely adheres to the tenets of the franchise's early entries that I can best describe it as the original Resident Evil set in first-person.

(...)
Cut to a few minutes later--I found the key in a labyrinth of damp passages, evaded the enemies, and emerged from the cellar after a brief chase that felt like it lasted an hour--I'm reminded of a phobia from my childhood, when I imagined monsters pursuing me up the basement stairs.

These emotions, and that kind of thought process, pervaded my time with Resident Evil VII. And although the puzzle and survival aspects reminded me more of the first Resident Evil, there are influences from elsewhere in the series' history. Members of the Baker family, the presiding clan at the decaying manor, became boss encounters during my demo. I won't spoil the specifics of the two fights, but they were both preceded by sequences straight out of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, in which a singular monster stalked you throughout the game. The Baker family was almost always slowly pursuing me throughout my time with the upcoming sequel, instilling a definite urgency and removing any sense of security I might otherwise have had. Lethal hide-and-seek games became bookends to brief chapters of calm.

When I did have a moment to breathe, I was engrossed in the game's storytelling.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-7-hands-on-with-four-hours-of-horror/1100-6445818/

What I saw and played that day was five hours of Resident Evil 7 in Capcom's central offices in Osaka, Japan, taking in the game's early stages and meeting some of its major antagonists. And honestly, it's the most Resident Evil game I've played in a long time.

It's easy to fixate on the first-person perspective, on the virtual reality and on the lack of recognizable characters, but for all that, Resident Evil 7 still feels like a true old-school title. It feels like survival horror.

And though, sure, what Resident Evil means to people has changed over the years, with some embracing its shift towards action and co-operative gameplay, the series' roots are embedded in survival horror.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-30-resident-evil-7

Initially, Resident Evil 7 looks and feels very different to what came before, but familiar elements soon creep back into view. Some are pretty obvious: green herbs replenish your health, a limited inventory requires micro-management, items can be combined in various useful ways, and the arsenal is almost identical to that of the original (after four hours I’d salvaged a knife, handgun, shotgun, flamethrower, grenade launcher and spied a magnum). But these are superficial similarities, of course – staples you’d find in plenty of recent Resident Evil games. What’s far more meaningful to me is how much RE7 felt like the original in its bones.

Strip away the first-person perspective, new setting and unfamiliar characters, and you see the underlying structure bears an uncanny resemblance to the original.
There’s good reason why I still remember inching my way through the rooms of the Spencer mansion 20 years ago: that familiarity and fondness sprang from having memorable encounters in specific rooms, backtracking with a purpose, and the satisfaction of unlocking a meaningful shortcut. Even now I can close my eyes and walk every corridor. While the Baker house, built upon stinking Louisiana swampland, may be stylistically different from the polished mansion Spencer built up in the Arklay mountains, it rests upon the exact same foundations: exploration, backtracking, and puzzle solving.
(...)
Curiosity draws you to those doors. You want to better understand in order to escape. Resident Evil 7 does a fantastic job of forcing you to walk through those forbidden doors, and it does an equally great job of making those doors feel as intimidating as possible, decorating them with dead scorpions, butchered snakes, and mutilated crows – each a gruesome hint to the kind of key you must find somewhere in the sprawling plantation.

Of course, unlocking the secrets of the house requires more than a series keys. The Baker house conceals a network of absurdly-engineered traps and puzzles. After completing one, which involves rotating an elaborately carved statue to cast an equally-outlandish silhouette on a painting, Ethan groans, “Who builds this shit?” If you’ve played Resident Evil, you’ve probably had the same thought. Who had the time and resources to build all of this? Although entirely implausible, these puzzles are an essential part of Resident Evil’s DNA, and thankfully they haven’t been discarded in a misplaced drive towards realism. RE7 is happy to block your progress with outlandish riddles involving coloured-coded dog heads or a brainteaser scribbled on a note found in a morgue. So while I love Ethan’s wink to the camera, I really love how Resident Evil 7 also embraces those tropes, no matter how implausible.

Through exploration and puzzle-solving, doors begin to open and connections start to be made: literal ones, of course, as previously detached corridors are stitched back together, but also figurative ones, too – you begin to better understand. Ethan, like us, starts from a position of total ignorance, but through a series of notes, VHS cassettes, and mysterious phone calls, he (and the player) begins to piece together what’s really going on, and how the events within the Baker house connect to the wider Resident Evil story. After a few hours I’ve got a tantalising, if still hazy, theory about how this all connects back to the characters and stories we’ve known for 20 years, but for now – and just in case I’m right – I’ll keep that to myself.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/30/answering-3-important-questions-about-resident-evil-7

After the clomping, camp action of the last few installments it’s a genuine pleasure to say Resident Evil has returned to the bloodstained walls and don’t-open-them doors of its roots. Although where the original game took inspiration mainly from George A. Romero’s zombie movies, this cribs from a far wider palette. Films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes inspire the main villains, the Baker family; building scares, before members of the clan take turns to mount plodding pursuits with all the persistence of a Jason Voorhees or Michael Myers. To a lesser extent, movies like Hostel and the later Saws play a part in inspiring its violence and death. And, finally, it all plays out in the decrepit, peeling, mildewy house from your nightmares - made from grimy, gore encrusted corners full of things that’ll never wash out.
What I’ve played so far has been encouragingly strong, to the point where this could easily stand alone without the Resident Evil name as a great horror game. The fact that it still can with that name attached (and its connotations of a melon-biceped Chris Redfield fighting bone dinosaurs) probably says more. The four or five hours I’ve seen has actually been one of the best things I’ve played this year, riffing the series’ familiar values off the uncertainty of its newer ideas to create something unpredictable and, above all else, interesting.
http://www.gamesradar.com/a-four-ho...-one-of-the-best-things-ive-played-this-year/

I bring up the map, something I haven’t done this regularly in a Resident Evil for years. Backtracking, collecting keys and solving contrived door puzzles used to be as much series’ staples as the zombies, and I was surprised to see them back. When I chugged through the re-release of 2002’s Resident Evil Zero earlier this year, with its seemingly endless trips across the map to fetch more bloody keys, I certainly wasn’t hoping this idea would make a comeback. Even more unexpected is how much I’m enjoying it. Backtracking across old Resi games has lost its power to scare me over the years, but the Baker household is a modern masterpiece in tension. A creaking Louisiana estate that has you constantly questioning if that noise was your footsteps, the house settling, or a member of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre-inspired Baker clan creeping up behind you to rip out your spine. Maybe it was just the wind.
http://www.pcgamer.com/meeting-the-horrifying-baker-family-in-resident-evil-7/

Lettuce

Hmm the control seem to get taken away from the player a lot in those 3 videos, only hope it like that for the purpose of the trailers!

sphinx

the piano man
No demo because you don't have a ps4 or because you don't want to play it?

You would know better on how you feel about the game if you tried the demo. Unless you don't have a PS4 and if so sorry!

I avoid demos cause I feel that they are redundant for major, recognizable IPs like this or FFXV. I know there´s going to be quality in the game, no need to test anything with this big IPs, I will also avoid any and every Zelda demo if they ever release one, I want the main experience, In the mean time I have enough to play.

I think I'll just wait and see what happens with reviews and opinions

Dusk Golem

I avoid demos cause I feel that they are redundant for major, recognizable IPs like this or FFXV. I know there´s going to be quality in the game, no need to test anything with this big IPs, I will also avoid any and every Zelda demo if they ever release one, I want the main experience, In the mean time I have enough to play.

I think I'll just wait and see what happens with reviews and opinions

You can read several opinions from people who've played 3-5 hours of the game in my post above.

Spoilers:
They loved it, the impressions from their 3-5 hours of time with it is glowing. Can hear more in other places so far.

Cmagus

I'm pumped for this game and I'm not that big of a RE fan. I wonder if there will be multiple parts like the demo where there is actual things to figure out. It would be really cool if there was secrets that took time to find like the demo.

dlauv

I picked this game up on CDKeys for like 33 bucks. I'm pretty hyped.

I just hope that after the five hours of glowing previews that the game doesn't slow down for the next 15.

But are any of those impressions from people who liked RE5 & 6 though

The Gamespot guy liked 5 and did not like 6.

Fury451

Banned
I think most of the people saying that are people who want more of the action styled games.

As someone who has played every game in the series that is available in the States, the good the bad the ugly, I understand that doesn't give me any kind of special privileges the comment on this. However, I don't want more of the action style (and whined incessantly about 4 when it released), but I also think this doesn't look all that different from other games today either.

Slap a different title on it and I wouldn't know the difference at first glance, but I'm hoping there are some surprises in store that are in line with the strengths of the series . That's the other part though, some people treat the series like they are the pinnacle of deep and brooding horror games. Even the strongest entries in the series have always been schlocky B-movie material underneath it all that was played straight, well constructed and atmospheric enough to make great use of its concepts.

For this, I'm not a fan of yet more first person horror (though I get why with the VR push), and I'm not a fan of the general theme they seem to be going with. That's not to say it looks bad, it doesn't at all, it just doesn't look like what I'm interested in.

Day one regardless though.

Anung

Un Rama
They've firmly won me over with all the things they've shown, the demo and various impressions. The only things I didn't like were the camera wobble (which you can turn off) and the weapons/combat feeling weak. I was hoping the melee combat would feel abit more like condemned and due to the limited nature of the gunplay that each shot would feel weightier.

I'm going into black mode considering what we've been shown is apparently a short part of the game.

Akiller

As for the debate on the game, I think a lot would be alleviated if it was Third Person. Hopefully RE8 it's a choice.

Iirc Kawata said that choice will be based upon RE7 success, if it will be successful (and looks like it will) they might choose to keep it first person .

So Rev 3 is the only hope left.

Jawmuncher

Iirc Kawata said that choice will be based upon RE7 success, if it will be successful (and looks like it will) they might choose to keep it first person .

Rev 3 is the only hope left for that.

The game could be successful. But there could still be complaints on it being first person only

fritzo

indeed. I can't wait to play this and I love REmake. While my younger cousin who never left the mansion in REmake doesn't want to play VII. it's crazy how this game is dividing the RE community.

Top Bottom