• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Neo-Nazi/Alt-right playbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sàmban

Banned
Ever since GAF imploded, I've been lurking around, just hoping that maybe things might get back to normal somehow...idk. Anyway, I haven't been here for a while because things just got stupid with people posting NSFW material and racist 4-chan garbage. It seems like things may have started getting better so I thought I'd make a thread.

I came across this article on HuffPost basically outlining The Daily Stormer's tactics when it comes to spreading neo-nazi bullshit. It really is quite the read.

It feels somewhat try-hard/pretentious, but it does show that these assholes are organized well enough to be taken much more seriously. I thought it would be worth discussing, especially in light of some of the over-the-top racist and/or batshit ignorant comments we've seen lately.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...e19e4b0ce3b344492f2?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Some excerpts:
5a3025221600001f00cf0d15.png

5a3017ca1600001f00cf0cdd.png

5a301c0c1600001f00cf0cf7.png

It seems like it is mainly about the site content itself, but I feel like most neo-nazis/gaters use the same playbook. I think the "lulz" part is what's really on point. Many times, we dismiss these people as hopeless trolls to be ignored when that's exactly what they want. They hide behind shields like "trolling" or "freeduhms of speech/echo chambers/snowflakes herp derp" so they can increase their reach. Milo is probably the epitome of this philosophy, with his provocateur/anti safe-space bit which gives him juuust enough "credibility" to make his actions ambiguously hateful. And obviously on GAF there have been a few posters that have done the same thing as well: arguing absurd points, saying shockingly racist things and being intellectually dishonest about it.

Someone I was talking to about this article pointed out that it was probably released as an attempt to further muddy the waters. As in, the only reason they'd release their "secret tactics" is to further inflate their infamy. It's probably true, but I think it is still worth being informed about.

Anyway, I searched and didn't see it posted.

JordanN

Banned
The only alt-right people are the ones that openly declare themselves one. I.e, they walk around with Pepe flags or oppose mix race marriages with non-whites. Otherwise, you're just dealing with contrarians who can be on any level of the political spectrum.

Bill Maher once made a great point how liberals can be more concerned with hysteria and accusing everyone of being secret nazis when it's more complicated than that.

For example.

"freeduhms of speech/echo chambers/snowflakes herp derp" so they can increase their reach.

This has nothing to do with alt-right. Unless you generally believe Hitler had a time machine and wrote the constitution.

Mohonky

The whole idea of a playbook; a how to on the art of deception and spreading hate kind of makes me laugh. The whole concept seems so ridiculous.

Turning hating into an art form

Dunki

This is not a alt right thing. Because people off all ideologies use these tactics all the time. Everyone who wants to dehumanize the other party or like mayn thinking also the enemy.. That is how you get people. And that people use the tactics of Hitler is not really surprising here. No matter how terrible can crazy he was. The one thing he really could do well was manipulating people.

Also lol at the pepelflags comment. These flags only exist because some media outlets went against this stupid meme. Again the more you try to symbolize it as something bad the more they will use these symbols to alo make fun of these outlets. These artciles are the whole reason why something stupid like Kekistan exist.

I mean its the same on each side...

Anyone who doesn't agree with my leftist ideas is - alt-right / a fucking nazi / racist

Anyone who doesn't agree with my right wing ideas is - a cuck / ultra liberal / commie

That kind of attitude gets people no where but where the world is now, us and them and anyone trying to be neutral is automatically a secret them!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not liking where the moderation is taking this site. Lots of fuckers right out of this playbook in the open, and nothing being done. It's one thing to be a conservative Gaffer. Lots of them around now. Guess they though they'd get banned or something, but most conservative posts I've seen have been very thoughful and mild. That's fine. I'm talking these fuckers.

I know the place is dead as a doornail, so there a lot more leniency to preserve some form of userbase, but at least embrace the fuckery full on, if this is what GAF will be from here on out.

Dunki

Reading this article in full is much more interesting. What the OP did post was just some general playbooks and mindset of people fighting others over the internet.

The article goes much more into detail like the payment of 14,88$ as an example. And what kind of content they want, or they operate etc. OP f you tried to make a point it was a pretty bad one for the article. You should have quoted something different from the article.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not liking where the moderation is taking this site. Lots of fuckers right out of this playbook in the open, and nothing being done. It's one thing to be a conservative Gaffer. Lots of them around now. Guess they though they'd get banned or something, but most conservative posts I've seen have been very thoughful and mild. That's fine. I'm talking these fuckers.

I know the place is dead as a doornail, so there a lot more leniency to preserve some form of userbase, but at least embrace the fuckery full on, if this is what GAF will be from here on out.

Just note that there was a gap in moderation but mods are back now and hopefully assisting the conversation to go in a constructive manner.

We are watching these sorts of threads to ensure they dont devolve into personal attacks or content which isnt appropriate.

Anyone who doesn't agree with my leftist ideas is - alt-right / a fucking nazi / racist

Anyone who doesn't agree with my right wing ideas is - a cuck / ultra liberal / commie

That kind of attitude gets people no where but where the world is now, us and them and anyone trying to be neutral is automatically a secret them!

American politics is so intensely polarised that each side essentially sees the other as some kind of supervillain. There's a good video describing how this comes about, which also explains the conduct of some of our late comrades.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned

Ding! THIS! Close the fucking thread cause it’s this!

All honestly I was trying to come up a response for this thread along the lines of “why do you care so much” but I might have been labeled as “one of them”. So I just left it alone.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Ding! THIS! Close the fucking thread cause it's this!

All honestly I was trying to come up a response for this thread along the lines of ”why do you care so much" but I might have been labeled as ”one of them". So I just left it alone.

I think some of you are trying to reframe and dismiss this 'style guide' as just a set of tactics to smear one's opponents.

Unfortunately, in this case, the 'opponents' happen to be gays, black people, women and jewish people. Moreover, what they're actually trying to do is to fan racism, violence and even genocide.

Frankly, its horrifying.

Dunki

I think some of you are trying to reframe and dismiss this 'style guide' as just a set of tactics to smear one's opponents.

Unfortunately, in this case, the 'opponents' happen to be gays, black people, women and jewish people. Moreover, what they're actually trying to do is to fan racism, violence and even genocide.

Frankly, its horrifying.

Why does it matter who your opponents are? Fact is these tactics are being used on every side of the political spectrum.. And you can not argue how it is good on one side while the other does the same and gets "lynched" for it. Here is some advice I personally follow: Either criticize both sides for the usage or do not. It is your decision in the end. I actually went with a mindset to criticize everyone no matter "on which side of history" (I really really hate this phrase) they are standing.

Besides the Left has become highly anti-semitic the last few years. So this alone is a pretty weak argument here.

Example for the same tactics? ? Teen Vogue Journalist:

DPqM_J8UQAAiiak.jpg

NOW Imagine this one with instead of white and boy with black and girl. Same shit.

BANGS

Banned

Frankly, its horrifying.

BLM does the same type of shit. It's not horrifying when you realize it's just a small handful of morons that will never amount to anything. They are literally just trolls, best way to stop them is to ignore them. We've known this for decades and nobody listens until it's too late...

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Why does it matter who your opponents are? Fact is these tactics are being used on every side of the political spectrum.. And you can not argue how it is good on one side while the other does the same and gets "lynched" for it. Here is some advice I personally follow: Either criticize both sides for the usage or do not. It is your decision in the end. I actually went with a mindset to criticize everyone no matter "on which side of history" (I really really hate this phrase) they are standing.

Besides the Left has become highly anti-semitic the last few years. So this alone is a pretty weak argument here.

DPqM_J8UQAAiiak.jpg

NOW Imagine this one with instead of white and boy with black and girl. Same shit.

You don't even see the irony of that statement do you?

Anyway, you guys are crazy. I'm peacing out.

RefigeKru

Banned

DPqM_J8UQAAiiak.jpg

Dunki, last time you posted that exact image it was to convince people to get along with Neo Nazis.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=253075247&postcount=114

But you also said

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=253075463&postcount=126

You need to understand why to do something about it. Without understanding the reason you will never solve it. Yes you also could kill everyone or put them into camps but that is hoepfully not the way to go.

And I NEVER said you have to be friends with anyone. There is more besides friend and enemy., us vs them, for or against. And you do not need to explain why it is wrong by trying to lecture people you will only cause more distrust and them defending their views even more.

You need to talk to people on the same level not on a higher position. Again trying to understand other peoples views does not mean to agree with them.

I never said anything about ideas.... I said about their reasoning for their views.

There are no good reasons. Why do they have to be good? They are still reasons that should be explored. AGain you do not have to agree on anything racis people say but to understand or mabye know is the better word for it why they think like this will help solve problems of racism.

And now, in the presence of a literal nazi playbook you're now reposting that so we can talk about Teen Vogue, instead of the Alt Right's tactics.

Dunki, last time you posted that exact image it was to convince people to get along with Neo Nazis.

But you also said

And now, in the presence of a literal nazi playbook you're now reposting that so we can talk about Teen Vogue, instead of the Alt Right's tactics.

It's like as if they have a playbook for this kind of misdirection, right?

Dunki

But you also said

First of all I never posted this to get along with Nazis. But I said to solve a Problem you have to understand this problem. I never said be friendly I just argued that talking is a much better way to solve a problem than fighting each other. And I used this to show that so called both sides use the same tactics and I posted this because that this is not a Alt-Right thing but a Internet Thing. No matter on which side you are standing. I also argued how it is pretty sad that some people actually justify the same tactics and schemes because their opponents are different. And Lastly: I would argue that the Article is way more interesting for a look behind the curtain of a Nazi Site. Generalizations are lazy and boring in my opinion. And they do not follow some Alt-Right guide they created their own company guide based on the same tactics many people use on the internet.

But seriously whatever floats your boat. If you can totally understand the tweet I posted but would be totally upset if it were black babies instead of white ones. I can not help you except for saying. You should consider yourself racist. There is no excuse for this. Just like there is no excuse if it were the other way around.

BANGS

Banned
"If you label me you negate me"

Please be genuine, you're not fooling anyone with an IQ over their shoe size...

krazen

BLM does the same type of shit. It's not horrifying when you realize it's just a small handful of morons that will never amount to anything. They are literally just trolls, best way to stop them is to ignore them. We've known this for decades and nobody listens until it's too late...

Hrm. Id say ignoring them (which has been the MO since forever outside of the internet) lead to the real life consequence of a murder and Charlottesville shots of 'Jews Will Not Replace Us' beaming across the world as the current state of affairs here.

There are here, they hate the queer(lol), and they are going nowhere now that its a legit political belief on par with traditional republican/democratic views.

appaws

Banned
Aren't the alt-right's tactics basically Alinskyite...? Seems like it to me.

And why wouldn't they adopt those tactics? They have worked to allow a small group of far-leftist social scolds to wield an oversized influence over society, dominating whole sectors of media and most of academia while the mainstream "conservatives" thought they were winning because they held political offices. Then they looked up and millennia of western civilization was in tatters.

It is a very effective strategy.

JP

Dehumanisation is almost a constant of "treating people like shit", irrelevant of the context. You reduce people to a single part of whom they actually are and concentrate on that and it becomes really easy to hate people whereas seeing people as a whole means there's more of an opportunity to relate to them, even if we don't agree with them.

It's not as if it's uncommon in communities such as this, in part due to the anonymity. We're not talking to real people, we're talking to avatars, usernames and we have absolutely no idea who the whole person is that we're actually talking to. We may heavily disagree on things but that doesn't mean we wouldn't get on if we met up in real life and didn't know about the mere sketch of who we are in places such as this.

I don't think "hate" has ever been a political view irrelevant of the colour of the tie that the person preaching it is wearing. In some ways we've protected the right to hate certain groups of people simply by washing it and dressing it up in a nice suit.

EDIT:
I also don't think that we should still be using the descriptor or Alt-Right. There's nothing "alternative" about and i don't think we should label it as something different to what it has historically been.

Dude Abides

Banned

And why wouldn't they adopt those tactics? They have worked to allow a small group of far-leftist social scolds to wield an oversized influence over society, dominating whole sectors of media and most of academia while the mainstream "conservatives" thought they were winning because they held political offices. Then they looked up and millennia of western civilization was in tatters.

Alinsky, far-leftist controlling media and academia, western civilization destroyed. It's a right wing paranoiac bingo card!

O.v.e.rlord

Banned

Frankly, its horrifying.

Did you even read what I was replying to? Like at all?!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just note that there was a gap in moderation but mods are back now and hopefully assisting the conversation to go in a constructive manner.

We are watching these sorts of threads to ensure they dont devolve into personal attacks or content which isnt appropriate.

That's good to hear, and take good care of this place!

xandaca

DPqM_J8UQAAiiak.jpg

What date is that tweet from? I'm looking through her feed and haven't seen any sign of it apart from a tweet on Dec 10th where she mentions a quote about killing white babies being fabricated.

(She does, however, tweet an absolutely ludicrous amount. I've been scrolling her feed for what feels like an age and still haven't left December)

Dunki

What date is that tweet from? I'm looking through her feed and haven't seen any sign of it apart from a tweet on Dec 10th where she mentions a quote about killing white babies being fabricated.

(She does, however, tweet an absolutely ludicrous amount. I've been scrolling her feed for what feels like an age and still haven't left December)

Then she deleted it because of the backslash she has gotten. I did not just copy this one. I checked myself back then because i know how easy it is to fake a tweet like this. I think it was in the beginning of December and saw it on her own feed making even fun of people who were upset about this.

xandaca

Then she deleted it because of the backslash she has gotten. I did not just copy this one. I checked myself back then because i know how easy it is to fake a tweet like this. I think it was in the beginning of December and saw it on her own feed making even fun of people who were upset about this.

She did tweet "I hate white people" on Nov. 22nd, a tamer version of what you're talking about, so there's certainly that.

appaws

Banned
Alinsky, far-leftist controlling media and academia, western civilization destroyed. It's a right wing paranoiac bingo card!

Do you want to respond to my actual point? That they are just using tactics as laid out by Saul Alinsky?

Alinsky and his writings are real you know...it wasn't made up by right wing paranoiacs.

Dunki

She did tweet "I hate white people" on Nov. 22nd, a tamer version of what you're talking about, so there's certainly that.

I think it is quite sad that you can delete tweets that are up for a longer period of time just to hide your awfulness. And honestly I would not care much at all if she wasnt verrified by twitter who just recently changed their rules about it. She should have lost her status with this one IMO.

Dude Abides

Banned
Do you want to respond to my actual point? That they are just using tactics as laid out by Saul Alinsky?

Alinsky and his writings are real you know...it wasn't made up by right wing paranoiacs.

Rules for Radicals (which I'm confident you’ve never read) talks about how to write a blog? I realize (((Alinsky))) existed. He just doesn’t have anything to do with this, however much the Turner Diaries crew sees him behind every bush.

tkscz

Alright, let's me take a sing at this thread to try to get calm heads in here.

On the point of the Strategy, as Appaws has pointed out, this is something that has been used for a long time, but was first written down and published in writing by Saul Alinsky. The entire blog is filled with strategies used by marketers, dictators, monarchs and the such throughout history. Their methods aren't new, but their ideals are vile. Luckily things like this are always noticeable and can be avoided and called out.

For half of the posters in this thread: The other half are not claiming that leftist don't use this type of strategy and aren't bad people incapable of horrible things, they are saying that the idea behind the two, far-left and alt-right, places different aspects on whats important, diversity vs white-supremacy. On which they support diversity.

For the other half of the posters in this thread: The first half are not claiming support of alt-right, they assume you are saying that leftist are always right and never do any wrong and are allowed to get away with shitty behavior. They're trying to show examples of why that is not true, regardless of the fact that, that isn't what you're trying to say.

Now that we understand what each side is trying to say, can we stop misunderstanding what the other is trying to argue and throwing labels around? This thread is made up of miscommunication and assumptions. How about we ask for details of what the other means and if it's not your argument, say "Hey, that's not the subject I'm arguing, I'm arguing such and such while you're talking about something different." Also drop the insults guys, insults just make people harden their resolve and causes the conflict to escalate and not de-escalate (there has to be a better word for that) the problem.

Hrm. Id say ignoring them (which has been the MO since forever outside of the internet) lead to the real life consequence of a murder and Charlottesville shots of 'Jews Will Not Replace Us' beaming across the world as the current state of affairs here.

Well, actually ignoring them in that instance would have led to none of that happening.

Wasting all of this energy fighting a miniscule portion of the population who promote a ridiculous ideology that they are barely capable of turning anyone onto seems pointless.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don’t understand. The only people I see trolling are the people leaving for the other site. Are you saying they are all alt righters? Maybe I’m miss understanding?

Dude Abides

Banned
Alright, let's me take a sing at this thread to try to get calm heads in here.

On the point of the Strategy, as Appaws has pointed out, this is something that has been used for a long time, but was first written down and published in writing by Saul Alinsky.

When you lead your post off with Hannity bullshit why should anyone take the rest of your vapid wall of text seriously? It’s like you guys have never read a book in your lives and just repeat what you read on Twitter.

Dr.Parity

Banned

rofl, holy shit, everyone knew your facade before this place went to shit. Now you're openly spouting alt-right nonsense.

Oh yes, making sure the conversations don't devolve into alt right talking points and people spouting constant dribble.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This thread has run its course. If anyone has any good reason for it to remain open send me a PM and we can discuss. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom