• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Last Jedi Spoiler discussion thread: THERE WILL BE UNMARKED SPOILERS!

Kimawolf

So i figured we needed one of these threads, so here we go.

My only true complaint was snoke. He died without any real explanation of who/what he was . Also he was a moron. The Emperor would not had been so easily killed. I do think he'll be back as some kind of evil force ghost, or he's like some of the ancient Sith i.e. immortal and will return.

Also I like they basically made Rey a grey jedi, neither light nor dark.

Andodalf

Banned
Snoke and Rey’s parents not mattering at all was amazing. That would have been too typical, by subverting those things this movie won.

judhudson

I have not seen it yet, and will eventually but spoilers do not bother me. I was reading and came across something that sounded like Finn died. Did he?

edit: Ah nevermind, just read that he didn't

Matticers

Snoke and Rey’s parents not mattering at all was amazing. That would have been too typical, by subverting those things this movie won.

Well, hopefully this is the case. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a lie to get her to join the dark side. I'd rather them show that anyone can be that powerful regardless of their lineage but... it's Star Wars. I have a feeling she'll have an "I am your father" moment in IX. Well, that person will probably be a force ghost. But still.

Not knowing a damn thing about Snoke was the wackiest part of this movie. They could clarify that in IX but who's going to care about him at that point?

And I feel like a lot of the hate that this movie is getting is due to the fact that, well, Luke dies. I'm sure that pisses quite a few people off and makes them hate it. Personally, I wasn't happy about that but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the movie too much and I'm going to wait until IX to see how it plays out and what the aftermath is. As lame as it sounds, I'm hoping for plenty of force ghost action.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't understand how there's a star wars movie without a single light saber duel.

I don't understand how there's a star wars movie without a single light saber duel.

actually you have 2 ...
ray and the new supreme leader are fighting with a light saber all others red guards
and
the new supreme leader is fighting with a light saber vs Luke ( damn, he even won the duel :D )

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
actually you have 2 ...
ray and the new supreme leader are fighting with a light saber all others red guards
and
the new supreme leader is fighting with a light saber vs Luke ( damn, he even won the duel :D )

A duel as in two people with light sabers fighting.

And I hardly count Luke Vs Ren considering Luke was a force hologram so they didn't even duel. But hey, to each their own.

The Yoda scene was the best part of the film. Aside from looking like he stepped out of the Clone Wars show initially it was nice to revisit the character and the chemistry between him and Luke again (one of the few scenes where Luke felt like Luke, and the scene with R2).

Manus

Haven't seen the film yet. Waiting for theaters to die down a bit. After reading the plot and what happens. To me this movie does not match up with how long the film is. By reading what happens it seems to me the film should be 90 minutes tops.

kunonabi

Haven't seen the film yet. Waiting for theaters to die down a bit. After reading the plot and what happens. To me this movie does not match up with how long the film is. By reading what happens it seems to me the film should be 90 minutes tops.

A number of people including the critics felt the movie was overly long and stretched too thin.

Ah okay thanks. Really curious to see it.
All of my main problems are tone and some really questionable cgi/camera work. There’s a badass movie in it but there’s just too much that isn’t Star Wars to me to make me want to see it again outside a few scenes.

Crazyorloco

There are light saber battles but it only took about an hour and a half to finally get to it. I hated that.

Edit: ahh you mean one on one... damn yeah that would’ve been nice. I never thought of that. Another reason I don’t like this film as much....

caffeware

Banned
Can we talk about why didnt rey/Ben double teamed on Snoke?

Have the light saber cut only his arm. That gives the same surprise effect.

Then make nice fight and show how powerful snoke is.

But the production went out the cheap way.

I'm starting to think that the reason Disney loves ryan so much is because he could made the movie cheap.

Disney: you have 10 millions budget for the snoke fight.

Ryan:10 millions? I will do it with just one!

Disney:now we are talking. Give this man his own trilogy!

Disney: nice, extra 9 millions to money hat the critics!

FStubbs

I felt like the movie was decent, but it made so many things unimportant.

Rey's backstory? Unimportant. Snoke's backstory? Unimportant. The cracker they needed to get onto the ship? That whole plot is unimportant. Phasma? Unimportant. Heck - Finn is unimportant and his reunion with Rey is blown up because he's into Rose now.

I did figure they were setting Luke up to be the new Obi Wan so we'll probably see his force ghost in Episode 9.

And ultimately, where do they go from here?

So the guard scene was sweet it's about time guards do more than stand around but in a way they should of had snoke escape while they faught them but to that effect the joining would have been a different path. So change one thing other things change its crazy to think about possibilities.

Tevious

The problem with this film is that Rian Johnson just said fuck it to just about everything set up in TFA. And it's not all his fault. JJ Abrams set things up in TFA without any future plans to resolve them. Ultimately, I feel it's Disney/Lucas Film's fault for not commissioning a plot outline for this trilogy in the first place. They hired these guys to write off each other's work and just go with it. Now this trilogy is a mess and a highly doubt JJ can fix everything with Episode 9, especially given his reputation. Even George Lucas had a plan for his trilogies.

[EDIT] Apparently there was a plot outline that JJ did, but Rian Johnson just said fuck it and did his own thing, so fuck that guy. I guess I'm letting JJ off the hook for this fuck up. Though, I still have no confidence in him fixing things in Episode 9. [/EDIT]

Here's some of my problems with these films so far:

Rey has a mysterious origin? Nope, her parents were nobodies and she knew that all along! It's like Rian Johnson thought that would be a great twist that no one would have predicted. No one predicted that because it's fucking stupid. The only way that could have been satisfactory is if both movies didn't hype up her origin as some big mystery in the first place. Rey's origin is the lookatthiswowitsfuckingnothing.gif

Snoke doesn't even get an origin, outside of what we already knew.
Not knowing a damn thing about Snoke was the wackiest part of this movie. They could clarify that in IX but who's going to care about him at that point?

Yep. Snoke is this trilogy's Darth Maul; a bad guy for the sake of having a bad guy. I guess his only purpose was just so Kylo Ren could be trained in the dark side (and off screen at that) and to give the First Order a leader. Snoke is just a powerful dark force user that came out of nowhere, took over the remnants of the Empire and formed the First Order. That's literally all they came up with for his character and origin. What was the whole point of his scars? I don't think we'll ever find out (in the movies, anyway). Any mystery about him doesn't matter now that he is dead and his character was wasted. If he was Darth Plageius, then he's the biggest fool in the galaxy for having been betrayed twice by his apprentice.

What about the Knights of Ren? They were completely ignored in TLJ.

Captain Phasma to get a bigger role? Nope. She had a smaller role... and then dies?

What about Anakin's lightsaber? That whole plot line was for nothing. JJ Abrams took the explanation out for how Maz got the lightsaber from TFA and left it for the next movie to deal with, and we still got nothing. The saber was destroyed anyway, so what's the point? Maz could have given Rey any lightsaber she could have came across (Mace Windu's purple saber would have been cooler). Instead, somehow she got the one Luke apparently dropped into the atmosphere of Bespin. And if you're thinking it had to be Anakin's lightsaber so Rey had a reason to find Luke, she also went to him for training and because Leia sent her. Now I'm stuck imagining some goofy moment where Luke/Anakin's lightsaber crashed through the window of some CGI alien's cloud car in Bespin during ESB and they sell it to Maz because that's probably what Rian Johnson would have come up with.

Even Finn being injured at the end of TFA was completely dismissed. He just wakes up at the beginning of the movie all healed. And Rian Johnson had to make it another goofy moment with Finn walking around naked in his bacta suit spilling bacta fluid all over the place.

TLJ was still a retread of the original trilogy; albeit sort of a reverse ESB with a touch of RotJ. They start off getting chased, then find the city to get help, then end with a ground assault on the planet not-Hoth (Crait) where the planet is covered in salt instead of snow. I think this was a huge missed opportunity. They could have had the assault take place on Dantooine; an actual abandoned rebel base that was mentioned in ANH. Instead, we're to believe the rebels had multiple Hoth-like bases scattered throughout the galaxy?

The Leia flying through space thing like something out of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon could have been done better. Maybe she could have used the force to keep her from being blasted out into space to begin with? That would have looked less weird.

I haven't heard anyone talking about this yet, but I was kind of surprised that Leia made it out alive. I don't know what they are going to do with the character in the next film now that Fisher died.

The Yoda scene was the best part of the film. Aside from looking like he stepped out of the Clone Wars show initially it was nice to revisit the character and the chemistry between him and Luke again (one of the few scenes where Luke felt like Luke, and the scene with R2).

Except that "chemistry" was all a farce in ESB. Rian Johnson doesn't understand that Yoda didn't really behave like that. Yoda was only putting on an act to test Luke. It was an out of character moment.

While, I don't mind that Luke died in this movie, his death scene was a bit awkward to watch. It looked like he had a stroke from using the force too hard.

The last 2 minutes of this film and all this crap about "legends" left a bad taste in my mouth. It was like they ended the film with a fucking Disney Land commercial.

I'm starting to think that the reason Disney loves [Rian Johnson] so much is because he could made the movie cheap.

I think it has more to do with all the marketable crap (porgs) and goofy moments that was shoved into the movie to appeal to a greater audience (meaning children) to sell toys. Rian Johnson is the new Brett Ratner, willing to do whatever makes the corporate heads happy.

Last edited:

XAL

I felt like the movie was decent, but it made so many things unimportant.

Rey's backstory? Unimportant. Snoke's backstory? Unimportant. The cracker they needed to get onto the ship? That whole plot is unimportant. Phasma? Unimportant. Heck - Finn is unimportant and his reunion with Rey is blown up because he's into Rose now.

I did figure they were setting Luke up to be the new Obi Wan so we'll probably see his force ghost in Episode 9.

And ultimately, where do they go from here?

Agree 100%

It felt really obvious that RJ saw some of the stuff JJ set in motion and was like "this shit has to go because I don't really care for it". Rey and Kylo were supposed to know each other, it's pretty much confirmed in the script/novelization - but that gets thrown out the window. This is what happens when you write the first movie in a hurry and don't roadmap shit AT ALL (they confirmed that there was no roadmap going into ep8).

Rose has more character development than Finn does in this flick, he's just kind of there. But ultimately her entire arc is undercut when she says she loves Finn...like what, there wasn't anything going on there.

Ep9 is definitely going to do a time jump. Leia has to be dead, they will probably fondly remember her. Poe will become the leader of the Rebellion, Rey will have been mentored by Leia/Maz and the force ghosts. The entire flick will basically just be all out war with space battles and lightsaber battles.

Paracelsus

To me "anybody can be a Jedi" is the same shit that killed pro-wrestling forever. It's basically the ultimate trump card for someone who can no longer find or book a proper "larger than life" character to sell to millions of fans.

It's tantamount to having kids in the academy with little lightsabers playing around (because it was a light game, not a training device), because if kids aren't in the movie, they won't buy things from the movie.

As Batista said years ago "If he can be a champion, so can I!".

tanooki27

The OJ Simpson chase scene in space was great.

lol. yea I wish the movie had a stronger macguffin type thing when it wasn't focusing on Kylo/Rey/Luke.

the side characters got sidelined in this one. but that was mostly OK by me, 'cos Kylo/Rey/Luke were why I showed up.

evanft

The more I think about it, the less I like this movie.

My major issues:

- The Leia superman scene was just awful.

- Haldo as a whole was a bad character. She's supposed to be some badass admiral, but you're TOLD she's a badass admiral, not shown it.

- The entire Finn/Rose subplot

- It's about a half hour too long

- LOL FORCE PROJECTION LUKE DEAD NOW

Shouta

I actually feel like making Rey's lineage not matter was really refreshing. The series has always had a chosen one for their Jedi protagonist so going the opposite direction for it works. This would be the time to go against the flow, I think. It also, at least in my head, helps put a lot of perspective on the various things that's happened across the series. It just works as an enjoyable contrast to me when you look at the other chosen ones in the films.

I can definitely see where it would annoy folks that enjoy the lore though. There's a lot of things they kind of put a cap on. Instead of a crazy grandiose scheme for all the characters, we got much more low key characterization and moments for everyone. It felt a lot more like the original trilogy in that respect to me where the entire cast feels like they're just a bunch of folks struggling in the conflict and not the myth and legends they are now.. Instead of just hyping up everything, it brings everything back down to the ground basically.

I'm not sure where things will go now and that's definitely something that feels a little strange though. I can kinda see where they'll go with some of the characters potentially but who knows.

Favorite action moment was seeing the carnage the cruiser inflicted as it went into hyperspace into the enemy fleet. I was not expecting that at all and the scene was just great.

Futaleufu

What a trainwreck.

Whats the point of everyone else when Rey can win this war alone? None of what they did matters at the end. Rey is the Super Ultimate Mary Sue.

kunonabi

I actually feel like making Rey's lineage not matter was really refreshing. The series has always had a chosen one for their Jedi protagonist so going the opposite direction for it works. This would be the time to go against the flow, I think. It also, at least in my head, helps put a lot of perspective on the various things that's happened across the series. It just works as an enjoyable contrast to me when you look at the other chosen ones in the films.

I can definitely see where it would annoy folks that enjoy the lore though. There's a lot of things they kind of put a cap on. Instead of a crazy grandiose scheme for all the characters, we got much more low key characterization and moments for everyone. It felt a lot more like the original trilogy in that respect to me where the entire cast feels like they're just a bunch of folks struggling in the conflict and not the myth and legends they are now.. Instead of just hyping up everything, it brings everything back down to the ground basically.

I'm not sure where things will go now and that's definitely something that feels a little strange though. I can kinda see where they'll go with some of the characters potentially but who knows.

Favorite action moment was seeing the carnage the cruiser inflicted as it went into hyperspace into the enemy fleet. I was not expecting that at all and the scene was just great.

Her being a nobody is fine my issue is just how immensely powerful she is with no training whatsoever. I personally would have preferred if she was the star pupil at the academy that was constantly moving ahead of Ben despite his lineage. Id have her overhear Luke expressing his concerns to Leia and Han about Ben and have her try to kill Ben instead in typical short-sighted Jedi fashion. Luke would protect her sending Kylo completely over the edge since even attempted murder isnt enough to knock her down a peg. Luke would then wipe her mind and send her off to protect her.

This would add some tension to her turning, Luke would still have plenty to be guilty about without assassinating his character, and Snoke connecting their minds would make way more sense since unlocking her memories could potentially send either of them to the darkside fully.

This would work best if she was significantly younger than Ben but they could make it so Luke has clouded her exact image from Ben's mind. Which isnt that crazy considering all the ridiculous force powers they've been using in the Disney stuff.

Of course if it was really up to me i wouldnt have any of the OT cast involved and wouldn't involve the skywalker lineage in any way but that ship sailed long ago.

gimz

Comes to think of it again.

The way Ben Solo kills Snoke, it could have been the same way of Ben killing Luke, stab in the back, if Luke didn't see it earlier.
Ben did really betrayed his master after all, just not Luke, but Snoke.

Rey is really the character, of the last hope for Ben.
Like the old saying, only love can change Ben now. I hope they makes a lot of babies.

beef3483

Absolutely hated it. My least favorite since clones. Agree with all of Tevious points above. It takes more than doing what audiences don't expect and subverting expectations to make a great movie. Ashame to, because I liked The Force Awakens, even if it did riff off of A New Hope excessively. I actually have little desire to see the next one which is a feeling I've never had about a Star Wars movie.

My favorite of the Disney ones so far is Rogue One. Not looking forward to Rian's trilogy at all.

Hyperspacing through shields is a one-hit kill..

So every death star and star destroyer fight was a giant waste of time. Just hyperspace a truck through it! Instant win! 5 films are dumb.

Can lightsaber combat be fencing yet? Because light sword death touch?

Junk food film was fun and I need to pee again. John Williams music is now conditioned to bladder pain!

Agree with the sentiment here. The more I think about this movie, the less I like it.

The thing is, I would feel a lot better about this movie if Luke did not just die like that. It makes no sense to me! It did not feel like a necessary sacrifice. It felt empty and pointless.

So now Kylo has killed both Luke, Han, as well as Snoke. But I don't feel anything added to that character. Just pointless body count. He still is just a mentally unstable basket case.

Shouta

Her being a nobody is fine my issue is just how immensely powerful she is with no training whatsoever. I personally would have preferred if she was the star pupil at the academy that was constantly moving ahead of Ben despite his lineage. Id have her overhear Luke expressing his concerns to Leia and Han about Ben and have her try to kill Ben instead in typical short-sighted Jedi fashion. Luke would protect her sending Kylo completely over the edge since even attempted murder isnt enough to knock her down a peg. Luke would then wipe her mind and send her off to protect her.

This would add some tension to her turning, Luke would still have plenty to be guilty about without assassinating his character, and Snoke connecting their minds would make way more sense since unlocking her memories could potentially send either of them to the darkside fully.

This would work best if she was significantly younger than Ben but they could make it so Luke has clouded her exact image from Ben's mind. Which isnt that crazy considering all the ridiculous force powers they've been using in the Disney stuff.

Of course if it was really up to me i wouldnt have any of the OT cast involved and wouldn't involve the skywalker lineage in any way but that ship sailed long ago.

I actually was OK with that myself. The way Luke talks about the Force in this film makes it seem like a natural energy in the universe and to be able to use it you had to be attuned/at one with it. Rey being so powerful makes sense then when combine that and you consider her origins.

She was abandoned on a planet on a young age. She scavenged to stay alive and interacted with the locals like we see her doing in TFA but she was more or less alone in the desert. So she had to have been really immersed in nature itself because of all that. Both Luke and Anakin were kinda the same. They lived isolated lives with nature being a huge part of their experience. Of course, they had a bit more structure in their lives relative to Rey but the experience for them prior to the movies was probably a little similar.

The slave kid force pulling the broom at the end actually reminds me of the situation Anakin was in. All there was for them was their work and the environment around them so they naturally spent a lot of time there.

That's my head-canon for it anyway. I doubt many people will like that idea but it's such an interesting way of demystifying the Force so it wasn't just about the chosen ones and lineage. I mean, that is still there with Kylo (and Luke a bit too) but the narrative for that is now about how lineage and expectations corrupt or become the cause of failure for people. Putting them side by side makes it feel like they're trying to say something as well as provide an enjoyable space opera.

Agree with the sentiment here. The more I think about this movie, the less I like it.

The thing is, I would feel a lot better about this movie if Luke did not just die like that. It makes no sense to me! It did not feel like a necessary sacrifice. It felt empty and pointless.

So now Kylo has killed both Luke, Han, as well as Snoke. But I don't feel anything added to that character. Just pointless body count. He still is just a mentally unstable basket case.

He did something he had to do and used up the rest of his remaining life before passing on to live as a Force Ghost is how I saw it, not so much as Kylo killing Luke. The only times we've seen Jedi disappear like that has been when they've passed on themselves or willing did so like Obiwan in ANH and Yoda.

Luke's sacrifice bought them like what 8 extra minutes? He does not even tell them he is stalling for time! They have to guess at his intentions. They think "oh maybe we should look for another way out" only AFTER there is a big ass hole in thier sheild door. And just by dumb luck Rey is on the other side with the fucking MFalcon convinently parked next to a pile of rocks they Rey magically makes go away.

So many magical and/or dumb luck moments moving this story along. Thats why I feel Lukes sacrifice, if it really was that, is so empty. It does not feel like a scenario that could ONLY have been resolved through Lukes sacrifice.

Fucking hell Finn was actually willing to sacrifice himself! Until confused chick stopped him. That would have been a truly earned sacrifice if it disabled the cannon. But no... they want to keep selling toys or some BS.

God I need to stop thinking about this movie. It just geta dumber and dumber when you apply any thought to it.

partime

I loved the movie! When it started to wrap up I was like, NO! Please, not yet!

Although it did have a lot of holes, like how the New Order didn't see the escape pods until after being told about them, but come on a story that BIG with an audience that broad, you can't fill everything with an explanation. Even Interstellar had criticism, even though science.

Wife wants to see it again!

zerotol

Banned
Yeah, this was terrible. The entire casino thing with Finn was prequels level of shit and it should have been left on the cutting room floor. Leia flying... What the hell were they thinking? Plinkett is going to slaughter this thing.

MGrant

Yeah, this was terrible. The entire casino thing with Finn was prequels level of shit and it should have been left on the cutting room floor. Leia flying... What the hell were they thinking? Plinkett is going to slaughter this thing.

Leia is in space. She is not flying, she is pulling herself to the ship.

I had no problem with Flying Leia myself...

But why the hell was blowing up the bridge that easy!? You would think such a critical part of a capital ship would be better protected! No sheilds or anything but lets put all the leadership and critical functions behind a bit of glass...

Jezan

Spoilers of an old Star Wars game:
That's KOTOR. But then I think that the bond Kylo and Rey shared was actually very Bastilla- Revan and I couldn't stop thinking about KOTOR

Also, i really thought Luke used some force shield (ala Mace Windu) when they started blasting him, theeeeen when Kylo slashed him (that was so anime) I thought he was going to vanish like Obi in ANH, becoming a Force Ghost. Then I wrongly connected the points, and thought he died with the blasts and he was a Force Ghost against Kylo and that's why the slash didn't hurt him.

Leia didn't have training in the Force and she survives outer space? That's how power levels are in this new trilogy, and people complain about Rey, she is probably based on Starkiller.

JimiNutz

Banned
The worst thing about the Leia flight scene is that it took what could have been a shocking and poignant death scene for a beloved character and turned it into an embarrassing lump of cheese. Whether you have a problem with her using the Force in this way or not you can't deny that the scene just looked bad from a visual point of view. Easily up there with the worse scenes in Star Wars history. At least Luke dying looked kind of cool against the two setting suns.

Leia's flying scene looked quite goofy, there was laughter in my screening at that point.

The whole chase down the ship for 16 hours till it runs out of fuel while a couple of characters go to a random casino planet was just terrible. They even managed to throw in a completely stupid and pointless cameo for Maz in that time. The film is clearly too long and that entire section should have been gone from the movie. ESB showed how to handle that Rebels on the run from the Empire plot so much better than this.

Except that "chemistry" was all a farce in ESB. Rian Johnson doesn't understand that Yoda didn't really behave like that. Yoda was only putting on an act to test Luke. It was an out of character moment.

They also shared a scene in ROTJ which you're forgetting where Yoda showed his softer side. He is a playful and gentle character when not training a potential Darth Vader.

gimz

Although it did have a lot of holes, like how the New Order didn't see the escape pods until after being told about them, but come on a story that BIG with an audience that broad, you can't fill everything with an explanation. Even Interstellar had criticism, even though science.

Same, I started looking at my watch 30 minutes prior the end, but I did not want the movie to end.

Tevious

They also shared a scene in ROTJ which you're forgetting where Yoda showed his softer side. He is a playful and gentle character when not training a potential Darth Vader.

He chuckled a bit when he said "When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not.", but that's very different from the giggling and goofiness we saw with him in TLJ.

thequestion

The best part about this movie is all the great material it has given RedLetterMedia.

This movie was such a waste of time. I'm incredibly disappointed.... and now this director has a whole trilogy of films to work with....what?!?

Any professional reviewer that gave this film favorable reviews should be ashamed of themselves.

PudieRSC

They explained that they wouldn't be looking for them on radar, just the bigger ships. And they were too small/far away to actually see. Not the best explanation, but explained none the less.

Top Bottom