• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two *Off-screen* High Resolution Images of Battlefield 4 Running on Xbox One

Jigolo

Looks to me dice ran out of time. I was going to buy this and KZ:SF as launch titles but it looks as though I'll be skipping BF4 until they properly optimize frostbite 3 for next gen consoles.

Now I'll probably replace it with AC4.

The fact that I can see (sub-pixel) aliasing on a blurry off-screen 1024x768 shot isn't particularly encouraging.

pretty much this. you would think that the compression artifacts & image downsampling would hide that shit:

1hvlx.png

skdoo

Banned
KZ looks so much better that it is laughable. Simply laughable. And as a PS4 owner I have a lot of interest in the XB1 port - especially since EA will want the PS4/XB1 versions close to the same for political reasons.

So as a PS4 owner I have to go to a PC to get a decent port of BF4. That isn't right.

Im not expecting any of the console versions of BF 4 to be all that impressive. Its a launch title first of all and yeah, DICE says that their engine is uber scalable but that means that its probably not optimized for either machine.

Pretty graphics are nice but Im more concerned with player count, frame rate and parity with the PC versions so we don't get another shoe horned version of the game that plays like crap ala BF3.

jond76

Banned
the art of the vertical slice.

Why do a poor ass public demo if you can't do it right? It will just be negative marketing and waste dev time.

Unfortunately in this position the Dice can't win. If they don't produce a demo, then "oh my god it doesn't even run on Xbox, its all been shown on PCs!"

So they make something, anything, to let folks know it does run on Xbox One, and "oh my god, aliasing on an off screen shot, why even make a demo if it looks like ass?!"

Its proof of life at least. I'd rather them keep plugging away at the final product than divert resources to a demo people are going to nit pick to death anyway.

I have confidence that it'll look great in the end.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i've played it and it looks like one of the cleaner 360 games with greater image complexity over longer view distances.

given how well it performed, i feel like dice made compromises in the right places, but they are huge compromises nonetheless.

Hanmik

i've played it and it looks like one of the cleaner 360 games with greater image complexity over longer view distances.

given how well it performed, i feel like dice made compromises in the right places, but they are huge compromises nonetheless.

ehh. did you play 360 or Xbox one version..?

tkalamba

ehh. did you play 360 or Xbox one version..?

If he's calling the 360 beta clean, I wouldn't be believing it. He's likely talking X1.

The 360 beta is lacking the HD textures that BF3 has at retail, which was a rather large install. The beta is only 1.5GB

tkalamba

Have something to back up these not being recent builds?

They aren't retail builds are they? They could very well be Beta builds. but until the game on PS4 and X1 are confirmed gold, and ready for retail, they are still in either beta or alpha.

Demos are almost always older builds, there are always a more recent build back at the studio.

I suppose it becomes much harder to track a face when you're putting a phone/camera in front of it to take a picture of the screen...

The camera being used to take the shot clearly isn't infront of the kinect. Infact the kinect isn't even in the photo. It looks like it has been positioned facing a wall or something.

Arkam

High res?

These pictures are from a camera phone,with poor lighting... not even good enough for Facebook.

I suppose we will get actually decent shots soon enough that are worth reviewing.

todahawk

For someone like me who is trying to improve his posture that would be pretty neat.

I heard you opt into a 'perfect posture program' for the xbone by default; if you're not sitting up straight games or movies won't start and it serves up ads and steve ballmer presentations until you do.

No, but it's in front of the user's face. ;)

I don't get it. How can you tell? That grey colour filling up the kinect box next to the error message isn't the camera. It's either a wall, or nothing at all, just static. Otherwise you'd see a picture of the guy with a camera to his face!

Ah you edited. I wonder if the kinect is even plugged in?

tkalamba

Ah you edited. I wonder if the kinect is even plugged in?

Probably not, I don't think DICE has even detailed how they plan on it being utilized. If it they had something implemented already, you'd think someone who's played would have told us what it was for already.

Faustek

Come on guys, we all know this isn't an alpha.

As we all learned from Capcom/EA a game is basically finished 2-3 months, sometimes longer, before they release it.

Going through bug tracking, making a master version for the xbone/ps4 and such.......Nah seriously all I see is the PS360 having reversed roles in the Ps4/Xbone multiplat universe. Although my secret desire is for Microsoft to burn in a non radioactive fire(no chance of Zombies) And Sega killing of most of it's management in a freak accident and releasing the DreamCast 2.0 Better, faster, stronger and sexier.

Then again Valve might actually get the message out there and be the other big contender we actually need. You know instead of Microsoft.

PS. It's not Xbox I dislike it's Microsoft. Done so since littlefoot
lost his mother.

RoKKeR

yeah, i'd put it in line something like halo 4 single player but running at 60FPS with a much larger scope.
So, essentially what we expected from cross gen launch titles.

Cleaner looking, faster running, and with more scale than current gen?

Shocking indeed.

tkalamba

So, essentially what we expected from cross gen launch titles.

Cleaner looking, faster running, and with more scale than current gen?

Shocking indeed.

I always figured this is what we should be expecting as we transition generations, but it seems people are expecting something akin to the jump from the SNES to the N64.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I was going to say that they should have aimed for lower than 1080p, given the obvious trade offs they've had to make

Then

Yeah

GodofWine

Are we expecting the ps4 and Xbox one versions to have visual parity?

Im hoping by DICE saying they are "targeting" equal console versions, That they mean "we have the ps4 running right, and we are targeting the X1 version to match it".

There is a lot of wiggle room in how they phrased it, and maybe MS 'asked' them not to compare the versions pre release.

Targeting parity =/= parity

edit - remember BF4 doesnt compete with BF4, it competes with other games on each platform...killzone 4 is their competition on ps4 right now, best not hold back on graphics or be prepared to hear how bad your game looks and lose a lot of holiday sales

Karak

Feature parity but not GFX. However that being said the systems are not monsters so its best to keep expectations very low as devs work through the first year or two on these things. Which is solid advice regardless of generation. 1st parties will probably be the real contenders for while.

skdoo

Banned

If it does, KZ will sell like hotcakes. This looks like total crap in comparison - doesn't even deserve to BE compared

vio

Looking at it though ... that can't be real ...

They have 8GB of RAM to work with! How can textures still be so low resolution??? HOW?!!?

But that is a .. long ... way off from this

construction_1p_1920x1080.jpg

Even the low setting shot ...

battlefield4-beta-2.png

The first shot is from single player that`s why it looks much better. Also probably running on PC. BF3 campaign looked much better than multiplayer too.

Bumhead

Banned
Come on guys, we all know this isn't an alpha.

As we all learned from Capcom/EA a game is basically finished 2-3 months, sometimes longer, before they release it.

Publishers can and do bring Alpha builds to shows even right up until near release.

At the Eurogamer Expo last weekend I seem to recall Battlefield 4 was in Alpha. One of the reps explained to us that that was the reason for all the "no photos or filming" policy. Presumably to stop photos like this cropping up online and people melting down at Alpha footage. Just like this thread.

Drive Club and Killzone Shadowfall were definitely Alpha and had similar restrictions regarding filming. We know more recent and better looking versions of these games exist but they weren't being shown off at public events.

Battlefield 4 looked horrendous at the EG Expo. Same complaints as people are levelling at the screenshots in this thread, and at least to me looks like it's the exact same demo (same crap textures, IQ and map, anyway). But it's clearly Alpha footage and I think there's literally zero chance the game will ship in the state it's in in the OP.

SLY_

Banned
Im hoping by DICE saying they are "targeting" equal console versions, That they mean "we have the ps4 running right, and we are targeting the X1 version to match it".

There is a lot of wiggle room in how they phrased it, and maybe MS 'asked' them not to compare the versions pre release.

Targeting parity =/= parity

edit - remember BF4 doesnt compete with BF4, it competes with other games on each platform...killzone 4 is their competition on ps4 right now, best not hold back on graphics or be prepared to hear how bad your game looks and lose a lot of holiday sales

I think you'll find that BF4 popularity exceeds Killzone popularity regardless of visuals. Killzone has always looked better than BF on PS3 and I don't expect that to change with PS4. That doesn't make KZ the bigger seller and the numbers prove that.

You're also looking at a multi-platform engine vs a dedicated system engine. Not really comparable.

Jezus fuck atleast go for 900p dice..
Good thing i have an pc that can run the beta pretty good on mid specs need to replace GPU so move AMD.

antitrop

Wonder if this is going to take the crown from COD Ghosts as the least impressive looking big budget fps released on next gen...
BF4 is going to shit all over Ghosts, graphically... so you may want to continue lowering your expectations on Ghosts.

BF3 on PC still looks better than what we've seen from Ghosts.

Top Bottom