• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 07/30/09 – Fat Princess

DJ Crimson said:
I think this was posted in the last PS Store topic but I doubt anybody even cares about Frogger these days.

My wife, actually.

Frogger, Katamari, Outrun, Super Mario Bros. and Brain Training is about all she's interested in game-wise.

I may be wrong, but didnt one of the SCE blogs post that this week, that they would post the update content list the day before as a test?

wagamer

So no demo/trial for FP? Guess I have to wait for reviews then.. Seems like an ok multiplayer game, but worth 15€? Somebody convince me?

Tntnnbltn

highluxury said:
I may be wrong, but didnt one of the SCE blogs post that this week, that they would post the update content list the day before as a test?
They did say that and the update was already posted there. I quoted it here, but that was before kassatsu made the new thread.

(Edit) Kassatsu: You missed the link to last week's thread in the OP.

topofuji

Banned
Well I was getting worried the 7/30 thread wouldn't be up. :lol

I guess not much is known of this update outside of Fat Princess - originally Trine was supposed to come out I would think, but releasing that next to FP would be a financial mistake.
Any LBP DLC news? Anything?

topofuji said:
Well I was getting worried the 7/30 thread wouldn't be up. :lol

I guess not much is known of this update outside of Fat Princess - originally Trine was supposed to come out I would think, but releasing that next to FP would be a financial mistake.
Any LBP DLC news? Anything?

LBPDLCSONYCO0018-Infamous-Good-HD-600x337.jpg

was going to be this week but put back to next week :(

I should just stop buying stuff that has no price parity across regions out of principle. If the US price was equal to what we had to pay ($21) people would complain soo much. But in the EU we should be a ok with a price like this (especially after BF 1943's fair pricing)?

No thank you.

Flek

Banned
iam not going to pay 22 USD (aka 15 euros) for this... shatter did everything right but sony wants to rip us again .. do not want. May buy it in the us store for 10 euros (15 usd) instead.

Gowans

dose said:
$14.99 does not equal €14.99/£11.99. Rip off imo.

$14.99 = €10.60/£9.10

YianGaruga said:
I should just stop buying stuff that has no price parity across regions out of principle. If the US price was equal to what we had to pay ($21) people would complain soo much. But in the EU we should be a ok with a price like this (especially after BF 1943's fair pricing)?

No thank you.
BF 1943 was on XBLA at the same price point world wide, the PSN price could not have been more on one platform than the other, this is exclusive so nothing is pointing this out.

I wish PSN would take a step to XBLA & have one worldwide price point but I guess it's the price you pay for real world prices.

Anyway I'll be all over this tonight, add me on PSN ID: Gowans007

topofuji

Banned
inFamous LBP! Very cool. Now maybe there's going to be a new gameplay feature added to LBP, lighting shooting (as a complement to the MGS pack's paintgun)
(Believe. :lol )

I actually have every piece of LBP DLC that has been released. Can't stop the trend now. Anyone else have everything or am I in the minority?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Gowans007 said:
$14.99 = €10.60/£9.10

We pay tax on top of that in the UK, which isn't included in any US prices. £10.69 is the price if you convert from USD and add 17.5% VAT. That means that the games selling at £9.99 are actually 70p cheaper, and Fat Princess is just £1.30 more - it pretty much evens out.

Gowans

iapetus said:
We pay tax on top of that in the UK, which isn't included in any US prices. £10.69 is the price if you convert from USD and add 17.5% VAT. That means that the games selling at £9.99 are actually 70p cheaper, and Fat Princess is just £1.30 more - it pretty much evens out.

Yeah it's not to bad if your in the UK, I'm not fussed Tho I can see why people are (I'm more fussed about no demo but I've seen & read enough) I'll be nabbing this the second I get in from work.

Never thought about tax, I know if pops up on PSN & Steam but it's not an issue on the others, do the points systems get round it?

YianGaruga said:

No thank you.
That will never change with PSN content, because everything is divided by region for SCE. They determine the prices for everything individually. Sometimes Europe gets stuff cheaper, sometimes NA does.
iapetus said:
Some U.S. states pay tax on online purchases (like for PSN), such as Ohio. It's only 6% I believe.

BoilersFan23 said:
That will never change with PSN content, because everything is divided by region for SCE. They determine the prices for everything individually. Sometimes Europe gets stuff cheaper, sometimes NA does.
That's exactly the problem and saying "it will never change" is ignoring it. There could easily be price parity across regions if Sony would enforce it. Sony's DD system has some of the best content on any of the platforms right now but their regional clustering is beyond ridiculous. Patches for EU and US versions of the same games months apart? Pricing all over the place? No PSN cards for half of the world?

I just don't get what the fuck they're doing.

iapetus said:

Isn't VAT still at 15% until the end of 2009?

kaleii

... so... what's in the HK/Japanese stores?

It says "NOW UP", but I can't see any content in the thread. Anyone checked?

iapetus said:
Agree with this. Wipeout HD came out in the states at $19.99 (+tax) and the UK at £11.99 (inc. tax). We got a pretty good deal with that. It works out even stevens in the end when you take into account all the releases. Duno why people are stressing over it so much.

Tntnnbltn

Correct me if any prices, etc are wrong.

ndx280.png

Methodology: Went through US store and noted all titles currently priced at $15 (don't know if any titles had price drops post-launch). Went to UK store and looked up same titles and their current GBP price. Converted GBP to EUR based on past PS Store releases (don't have an PSN account that uses Euros, so had to self-convert). Release dates were taken from UK PS Store, although were modified if necessary to separate releases (eg, Fat Princess and Watchmen Part 2). Historical USD/EUR conversion rates taken from FXHistory (onada.com).

Edit: Added following graph from Page 4... Click here for more explanation about the second graph.

vq4qd5.png

Xater

Puzzle Wuest is 15 bucks in the US? Holy shit that pricing is ridculous. :lol

Fat princes probably should have been the same as BF1943 but I'll get it anyway. I am way too excited for this game. right now I am just sitting around waiting for it to be released.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Gowans007 said:
I know if pops up on PSN & Steam but it's not an issue on the others, do the points systems get round it?

I'd imagine the tax is included in the price of the points, rather than when the games are purchased with those points.

iapetus said:
I'd imagine the tax is included in the price of the points, rather than when the games are purchased with those points.

Though I think there is still quite a big difference in what i.e. the same amount of Wii/MS points (plus can't you buy them via the system anyway?) cost in $with tax and in € in europe (converted to $).
I have no 360/Wii, but aren't the point-prices the same in every region? So Europeans would always pay more with these two point systems (correct me if I'm wrong, obviously. If someone understands what I'm trying to say ^^).
Of course there other factors like generally highter income etc.

If a PAL-Version is priced 1:1 I normally buy the US-version later, if it is priced right (can still be a bit more expensive, that is ok) I often buy the PAL version and don't bother to wait for the US-update.
You don't have to pay taxes with a US-account, just choose the right state in the account details, so I would not really include this into the pricing for PSN-games btw.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Tntnnbltn said:
Correct me if any prices, etc are wrong.

ndx280.png

Methodology: Went through US store and noted all titles currently priced at $15 (don't know if any titles had price drops post-launch). Went to UK store and looked up same titles and their current GBP price. Converted GBP to EUR based on past PS Store releases (don't have an PSN account that uses Euros, so had to self-convert). Release dates were taken from UK PS Store, although were modified if necessary to separate releases (eg, Fat Princess and Watchmen Part 2). Historical USD/EUR conversion rates taken from FXHistory (onada.com).

You're forgetting about VAT. All European game prices include VAT, US game prices don't include it. This means that once you have the currency conversion, you'll have to add VAT (between 15-20%) to get the real price.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
SolidusDave said:
I have no 360/Wii, but aren't the point-prices the same in every region? So Europeans would always pay more with these two point systems (correct me if I'm wrong, obviously. If someone understands what I'm trying to say ^^).

Kind of.

European stores are more likely to discount the points than US stores, though, from what I understand. If you're willing to shop around, you can get parity with US prices.

Shurs

SolidusDave said:
You don't have to pay taxes with a US-account, just choose the right state in the account details, so I would not really include this into the pricing for PSN-games btw.

Doesn't PSN base whether or not you have to pay taxes on your credit card's billing address?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
kruis said:
You're forgetting about VAT. All European game prices include VAT, US game prices don't include it. This means that once you have the currency conversion, you'll have to add VAT (between 15-20%) to get the real price.

True. Though this doesn't actually change the question of which games are overpriced and which are under - just the amount by which it happens. :D

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
profit said:
You got something against Flanders? :(
We also speak Flemish..... but you can call it dutch if you want.

It is Dutch. Or are you one of those people who think they speak American in the US instead of English?

Tntnnbltn

kruis said:
I'm not 'forgetting' anything. I just made a graph showing European prices, then as an added an indication of historical variation in exchange rates as an added bonus. I left interpretation up to the individual.

Originally I was going to have the blue and orange bars deviating from the mean PSN game price (€12.76 after excluding outliers), but thought showing the variation in exchange rates would be more useful.

Tntnnbltn

Tailzo said:
Finaly the end of June :)
reputation_pos.gif
Tailzo
Late to the party
(Today, 09:19 PM)

Tailzo said:
I've been looking forward to Trine ever since I read the first reviews.
Lol.

iapetus said:
True. Though this doesn't actually change the question of which games are overpriced and which are under - just the amount by which it happens. :D
This. The graph would still show a consistent trend if one existed. But it doesn't. Prices vary up and down depending on the publisher/release. It's particularly evident in the last three releases, where Fat Princess is overpriced compared to Watchmen and Battlefield.

krioto

Yes, screw SCEE and Titan on this game.

You're greedy money grabbing twats.

The issue is not with the price, it's the bullshit conversion strategy they have in place to gouge players wallets.

Explain:

- 2 weeks agao Battlefield 1943 = $14.99US, £9.99

- This store update - Watchmen DLC = $14.99US vs £9.99

BUT the fat greedy tart = $14.99US vs £11.99???

Plus the duplicitous Gavin from the makers of the game on the official PS3 blog has removed the US price from the blog as of this morning - great PR!!

I wouldn't buy this game now for 20p.

Tailzo

Tntnnbltn said:
reputation_pos.gif
Tailzo
Late to the party
(Today, 09:19 PM)

Lol.

This. The graph would still show a consistent trend if one existed. But it doesn't. Prices vary up and down depending on the publisher/release. It's particularly evident in the last three releases, where Fat Princess is overpriced compared to Watchmen and Battlefield.
wow, sorry. That was a grave spelling error. I meant July.

Shurs said:
Doesn't PSN base whether or not you have to pay taxes on your credit card's billing address?

nope, only based on the US-state in your PSN-account-info (not even cc-info).

my story:
*lives in Germany*
*makes US-account*
*googles address, New York sounds nice*
*tries his german cc in US account*
*it works! yay!*
*what, tax? bleh?!*
*googles information about tax, googles tax free state*
*virtually moves to Oregon, much nicer anyway I can imagine!*
* no tax = me happy*
all this one day after the ps3 launched in Europe :lol

SolidusDave said:
nope, only based on the US-state in your PSN-account-info (not even cc-info).

my story:
*lives in Germany*
*makes US-account*
*googles address, New York sounds nice*
*tries his german cc in US account*
*it works! yay!*
*what, tax? bleh?!*
*googles information about tax, googles tax free state*
*virtually moves to Oregon, much nicer anyway I can imagine!*
* no tax = me happy*
all this a day after the ps3 launched in Europe :lol
Exactly my story as well. Same states and all. NY seemed nice but I'm much more comfortable living in a hotel in Oregon now. :lol

kaleii

krioto said:
I wouldn't buy this game now for 20p.

Nice way of screwing the developers over. The people who spent all this time making the game probably had nothing to do with the pricing. If you feel that the game isn't worth 15 euros then fine, but chill man. You don't always have to compare everything with whatever other people are paying.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
kaleii said:
Nice way of screwing the developers over. The people who spent all this time making the game probably had nothing to do with the pricing.

Which makes the pricing even more of an issue for them, of course, and they should be complaining as loudly as anyone else because they're going to miss out on people playing the game because of it.

People who don't buy the game because of the price aren't screwing the developers over - the people who set the unreasonable price are screwing them over.

Top Bottom