• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Says The Last Guardian Calls Made in Error

Dragon

Banned
8lxTF.png

Soroc

Finally at least an actual person at Sony confirming it isn't cancelled instead of just the generic "Sony says..." since you know a company can't talk :p

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Things are not looking good here. The signs were evident when there was no release date in sight, and when Ueda and that other guy left Sony. They haven't shown a single gameplay video so far, which makes me believe the game is in a really bad state. Sony might cancel this to stop the bleeding or go ahead with it if it's still possible. The game won't be a big seller as well, so I think they may pull the plug.

Edit: Just saw the Yoshida tweet.

SykoTech

Wait, how do we know what his "no!" means? He could have meant "No, I will not answer your question!"

/salty conspiracy theory

Gamestop are giving customers back their preorder money, if this is a mistake then its a mistake on a completely unprecedented scale. Given the withdrawal of the product from their website and the expense of calling every preorder customer with a very precise explanation, it is clear that something has happened to trigger this.

They would not just misread something, decline to double check it, and happily abandon customer money, it contradicts pretty much everything I've ever heard about them as a business. I know they can make mistakes, obviously, but to be so happy to return preorder cash while its acquiring interest for them without checking the specifics seems an impossibility.

Likely scenarios:

-Format/distribution change. The Blu-Ray release of the PS3 Game "The Last Guardian" has been cancelled, and we will see the game in another form.

-The game itself has gone nowhere and development has been terminated, the company has cut its losses and informed the distributors in advance, with appropriate PR to follow to best manage the situation. Gamestop have done the unexpected/unforeseen and released the news early, and Sony HQ are scrambling to work out what to say. The responses "its not cancelled" are from reps not privvy to the cancellation of the game, or a desperate plea from an executive who doesn't know the PR plan.

Unlikely scenario

-Due to a random error on an email, Gamestop has seen the word CANCELLED next to The Last Guardian, and without doing any double checking of any sorts, gone to the expense of contacting every preorder customer to inform them and refund their preorder cash, losing a significant amount. They are happy to do this without confirmation from Sony.

V_Ben

Banned
Gamespot are giving customers back their preorder money, if this is a mistake then its a mistake on a completely unprecedented scale. Given the withdrawal of the product from their website and the expense of calling every preorder customer with a very precise explanation, it is clear that something has happened to trigger this.

They would not just misread something, decline to double check it, and happily abandon customer money, it contradicts pretty much everything I've ever heard about them as a business. I know they can make mistakes, obviously, but to be so happy to return preorder cash while its acquiring interest for them without checking the specifics seems an impossibility.

Likely scenarios:

-Format/distribution change. The Blu-Ray release of the PS3 Game "The Last Guardian" has been cancelled, and we will see the game in another form.

-The game itself has gone nowhere, the company has cut its losses and informed the distributors in advance, with appropriate PR to follow to best manage the situation. Gamestop have done the unexpected/unforeseen and released the news early, and Sony HQ are scrambling to work out what to say. The responses "its not cancelled" are from reps not privvy to the cancellation of the game, or a desperate plea from an executive who doesn't know the PR plan.

Unlikely scenario

-Due to a random error on an email, Gamestop has seen the word CANCELLED next to The Last Guardian, and without doing any double checking of any sorts, gone to the expense of contacting every preorder customer to inform them and refund their preorder cash, losing a significant amount. They are happy to do this without confirmation from Sony.

Perhaps the game is going to be digital and retail, and they misinterpreted that. They've done this before with the ps3 version of child of Eden.

Blizzard

Banned
So if the game's not cancelled, we still have no idea why GameStop was literally calling people...unless it's on a different platform, and/or the same situation as the game someone mentioned earlier (Kagari?).

*edit* Literally the last post mentioned it, Child of Eden. Still seems like a crazy thing to mess up.

So either an almighty fuckup by Gamestop or there is still something goin on (canceled for PS3 / development put on hold but not canceled (yet) etc..)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really won't be surprised if it's heading there and they just don't want to say it yet. Or they could actually provide footage for the first time in forever to actually show progress.

Audioboxer

Out of interest, how would Gamestop even know this? The game wouldn't be anywhere near ready for retailers suppliers to be requesting orders, or discussing them?

Ricker

Likely scenarios:

This is probably what happened,somekind of digital only distribution for the game pissed off Gamestop's offices somewhere hehe...

GameStop has confirmed to IGN that Last Guardian is not canceled and the automated calls were made in error:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1215394p1.html

"The Last Guardian has not been cancelled by Sony as we incorrectly stated in an automated call to reservation customers. Because the game did not have a specific release date, GameStop made the decision to remove the game from our system. The Last Guardian will be reinstated for pre-order when a firm launch date is known."

Wow. It is the unlikely scenario. Gamestop are that stupid.

I hadn't thought it possible.

Top Bottom