• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct September 13th for Switch and 3DS

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
eh, the big-huge stuff isn't coming, but japan is definitely on board. sega, square-enix, and koei tecmo all have multiple projects on the way. plus, next week is tgs. i imagine we'll see smaller-level announcements there in the form of multiplatform games.

What is the big stuff from Japan people were realistically expecting? FFXV? P5? DBZF?

I have low faith on Capcom atm.

Is there seriously no footage of LA Noire yet?

Is there for any version?

Aiii

So not worth it
I want to be excited for the future of a console I own. A direct that's all ports and stuff I knew was coming for the past year is the exact opposite of exciting. Why would I want the immediate future to be laid out...again. I'm not a fruit fly, I'm somehow still aware that Mario Odyssey is coming out next fucking month and Xenoblade 2 is right around the corner.

Maybe next time don't watch a direct that says it's going to do exactly what you don't want it to do, then.

When they literally tell you "this direct will focus on what's coming in the next two months" you don't get to complain afterwards that that is what the direct did.

AniHawk

What is the big stuff from Japan people were realistically expecting? FFXV? P5? DBZF?

I have low faith on Capcom atm.

i think of those, dbfz is a realistic ask. beyond that i really don't know. it would have to be multiplatform stuff of what we already would expect, on other platforms, like dynasty warrirors and bandai namco anime games. i guess yakuza is a big one and not totally impossible.

regarding capcom, they'll focus on low effort titles that switch fans would be happy to get. more ace attorney in particular and probably the resident evil action trilogy. re7 would be pretty neat though.

Aiii

So not worth it
They're not announcing DBZ:Fighters when they have another Dragon Ball game coming out next week. It'll be a while before they get to that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
i think of those, dbfz is a realistic ask. beyond that i really don't know. it would have to be multiplatform stuff of what we already would expect, on other platforms, like dynasty warrirors and bandai namco anime games. i guess yakuza is a big one and not totally impossible.

regarding capcom, they'll focus on low effort titles that switch fans would be happy to get. more ace attorney in particular and probably the resident evil action trilogy. re7 would be pretty neat though.

No Okami, though :/ . I would have given that higher priority than the XB1 sku and REv ports. Even if the Switch was a Wii U tier flop, I bet it would still outsold the XB1 sku. The same for Disney and MM collection. And those are as low effort as you could get.

Merc_

The complaints about not getting new far off announcements are amazing. Gaf has had multiple threads in the past complaining about games being announced too early and yet when a company decides NOT to do that y'all whine about not having anything new to look forward to.

There is just no winning with you guys.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Nintendo can't properly supply NA and Japan with enough Switches as is, and they still had multiple major first and third party titles to cover for the remainder of the year. For them to come out this Direct and announce more of their 2018 Switch plans here would have A. been overkill B. overshadowed third party titles C. potentially overshadowed other first party titles hitting later this year.

Also, it is worth mentioning that Nintendo still has the Nintendo Championships and the Game Awards coming up in the next three months, both prime places to announce new software if need be. It's not as if this is the end of the line for possible Switch announcements going froward in 2017.

AniHawk

No Okami, though :/ . I would have given that higher priority than the XB1 sku and REv ports. Even if the Switch was a Wii U tier flop, I bet it would still outsold the XB1 sku. The same for Disney and MM collection. And those are as low effort as you could get.

yeah the lack of okami is weird, but the collections seem like they would be a bit too late. all three would make great fits on the machine, obviously, but it seems like there might be some severe mismanagement if they continue to put stuff like nostalgic collections on other platforms and ignore the switch from now on.

KingBroly

Banned
yeah the lack of okami is weird, but the collections seem like they would be a bit too late. all three would make great fits on the machine, obviously, but it seems like there might be some severe mismanagement if they continue to put stuff like nostalgic collections on other platforms and ignore the switch from now on.

Well there was supposedly 3DS code in MMLC2, but no Switch code. So I'm going to chalk this up to Capcpom being caught with their pants down and unable to pull them up. Or simply unwilling. Bizarre to think that Bethesda is supporting Switch more than Capcom, at least at this point.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well there was supposedly 3DS code in MMLC2, but no Switch code. So I'm going to chalk this up to Capcpom being caught with their pants down and unable to pull them up. Or simply unwilling. Bizarre to think that Bethesda is supporting Switch more than Capcom, at least at this point.

There was no good reason for the collections to skip the Switch in the first place. I bet that porting the likes of World of Goo & Little Inferno was a more challenging task than would have taken Capcom to get the collection on the system.

JoeM86

Nintendo can't properly supply NA and Japan with enough Switches as is, and they still had multiple major first and third party titles to cover for the remainder of the year. For them to come out this Direct and announce more of their 2018 Switch plans here would have A. been overkill B. overshadowed third party titles C. potentially overshadowed other first party titles hitting later this year.

Also, it is worth mentioning that Nintendo still has the Nintendo Championships and the Game Awards coming up in the next three months, both prime places to announce new software if need be. It's not as if this is the end of the line for possible Switch announcements going froward in 2017.

Directs used to be every two months too. They could easily go back to that and we have another Direct in November or December. One right before Black Friday with megatons could do so well.

Ansatz

The complaints about not getting new far off announcements are amazing. Gaf has had multiple threads in the past complaining about games being announced too early and yet when a company decides NOT to do that y'all whine about not having anything new to look forward to.

There is just no winning with you guys.

It's been 3 months since E3 and they had absolutely nothing new to report on from a 1st party perspective. Pointless Direct.

Where is Smash 5? Mario Maker 2? 2D Mario? Mario Kart 9? Zelda DLC? Retro Studios? Prime 4? Surprises like Kingdom Battle, perhaps a Captain Toad-ish type of game? The next Nintendo indie hit a la Pushmo/Box Boy? Pikmin 4??????

Nothing

Why are they still making 3DS games? Pokemon Ultra S/M is another expansion type game, why not a sequel a la Black & White 2?? Mario Party minigames without the added context of the boards?? Why haven't we seen the benefits of Nintendo only having to focus on a single next gen console yet, in the form of a steady stream of AAA content? Where's VC?? Why is there a complete lack of ramping up of complexity of the dungeons and shrines in Zelda?? Why are all the Splatoon maps compact as fuck?? Fuck

Frodo

I was not too thrilled about this Direct as Nintendo was focusing on this year and titles we already knew about, but it was good to get some release dates, and some third party surprises.

But to be fair, there is really no reason to rush your announcements when you're selling all the consoles you can manufacture. I guess they'll have a Direct before Holidays or more likely January focusing on the new stuff.

It's been 3 months since E3 and they had absolutely nothing new to report on from a 1st party perspective. Pointless Direct.

Where is Smash 5? Mario Maker 2? 2D Mario? Mario Kart 9? Zelda DLC? Retro Studios? Prime 4? Surprises like Kingdom Battle, perhaps a Captain Toad-ish type of game? The next Nintendo indie hit a la Pushmo/Box Boy? Pikmin 4??????

Nothing

Why are they still making 3DS games? Pokemon Ultra S/M is another expansion type game, why not a sequel a la Black & White 2?? Mario Party minigames without the added context of the boards?? Why haven't we seen the benefits of Nintendo only having to focus on a single next gen console yet, in the form of a steady stream of AAA content? Where's VC?? Why is there a complete lack of ramping up of complexity of the dungeons and shrines in Zelda?? Why are all the Splatoon maps compact as fuck?? Fuck

What's the point in them showing stuff now that is 6 months plus away when they have a bunch of games coming for the holidays that they want to cement peoples interest in. You come over as a fanboy with no sense as to the commercial aspects of the business.

Very, very solid direct.

- Bethesda announcement was a mini megaton . I'm really starting to believe Metroid is being handled by them.

- Mario Odyssey looks absolutely bonkers. I'm becoming numb to all this awesomeness and by now, I just want to play the game.

- The Switch is having a literally incredible first year. Lots of third party games - even if some are ports, quality content all around, an indie mayhem and "best game ever" contenders in Mario and Zelda in just a few months. It is unbelievable. We're talking about a portable system that is having all the high end FPS and sports game - that's unprecedented!

- Can't wait to check the Octopath demo.

Only disappointment was no Golf Story and Stardew Valley dates but I KNOW they are coming soooon.

Maxrunner

Gaf gonna gaf, this direct proved they have 3rd party content.....it was a good one. The only criticism is the xenoblade 2 showing being too long.

FinalAres

I feel like this was a pretty awesome Direct. 1 new announcement for a game I'll definitely get (Doom) one surprise demo I've already downloaded.

For me the only thing missing was once again VC.

When you get the biggest games from China and the West but not in Japan...

This says a lot more with the state of the Japanese gaming industry more than anything else,.

Nothing

Games are not made on a conveyor belt. There is a reason why there is only one or two e3 sized events a year. A couple of new announcements is all you can realistically expect. People really need to dial down their expectations, it's not e3. As you say (Actually the person you quoted says) it was only two months ago. Nintendo generally do a good balancing act of annoucening stuff throughout the year. We got TGS next week, where no doubt there be a couple of cool announcements. We had a indies direct last week which had cool stuff too.

We're spoilt.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I want to be excited for the future of a console I own. A direct that's all ports and stuff I knew was coming for the past year is the exact opposite of exciting. Why would I want the immediate future to be laid out...again. I'm not a fruit fly, I'm somehow still aware that Mario Odyssey is coming out next fucking month and Xenoblade 2 is right around the corner.

Detailing the immediate future is what Nintendo Directs have been about since the beginning.

That's why people are laughing about all those crying about it. They still haven't learnt.

Ansatz

Games are not made on a conveyor belt. There is a reason why there is only one or two e3 sized events a year. A couple of new announcements is all you can realistically expect. People really need to dial down their expectations, it's not e3. As you say (Actually the person you quoted says) it was only two months ago. Nintendo generally do a good balancing act of annoucening stuff throughout the year. We got TGS next week, where no doubt there be a couple of cool announcements. We had a indies direct last week which had cool stuff too.

We're spoilt.

To be fair,

Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Arms
Kingdom Battle
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

is a stellar lineup for the first calendar (!) year of the system (as in not even 12 months will have passed) but

1) two of these games are made by external teams

2) just because you have enough games to pad out the schedule with doesn't mean you should delay Retro's game on purpose; the ENTIRE POINT of going single console was to have these INSANE PERIODS of overlapping megaton releases. It's been 3.5 years since they released something and we still haven't even seen what they are currently working on

3) there are certain "nitpicks" of these listed games that have a decisive effect on the way I personally feel about them, in other words I'm not entirely satisfied despite that it's a very strong lineup of games on paper. There have been quite a few questionable game design choices in Nintendo games lately

Salsa

at this point I'm really thinking the 3ds is gonna live through 2018 without a revision. just keep localizing stuff. lil guy has plenty life left

LordKano

at this point I'm really thinking the 3ds is gonna live through 2018 without a revision. just keep localizing stuff. lil guy has plenty life left

We're seeing fewer and fewer games. Half of the April direct was dedicated to 3DS, while they could only last 10 minutes today. I think we're seeing the end sooner than some people think. There's a limit to how many games you can localize to fill the gaps.

FinalAres

To be fair,

Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Arms
Kingdom Battle
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

is a stellar lineup for the first calendar (!) year of the system (as in not even 12 months will have passed) but

1) two of these games are made by external teams

2) just because you have enough games to pad out the schedule with doesn't mean you should delay Retro's game on purpose; the ENTIRE POINT of going single console was to have these INSANE PERIODS of overlapping megaton releases. It's been 3.5 years since they released something and we still haven't even seen what they are currently working on

3) there are certain "nitpicks" of these listed games that have a decisive effect on the way I personally feel about them, in other words I'm not entirely satisfied despite that it's a very strong lineup of games on paper. There have been quite a few questionable game design choices in Nintendo games lately

I don't even think this is being hyperbolic, because the reason is because Nintendo have been so bad for the 2 years preceding it, but this definitely feels like the best launch year of a console. At least that I've seen.

Nothing

I like how you ask why Nintendo is still making 3DS games, then complain about two games that require very little of Nintendo's actual development resources. Don't you see what they've been doing with 3DS for the last year? Everything is handled by external teams, is a remaster/remake of some kind, and requires almost no effort on Nintendo's part. It should be obvious to everyone at this point: 3DS teams have already started on Switch.

Nintendo has no reason to blow their load on a bunch of other game announcements when they've got plenty coming out this year. They're steadily releasing one 1st party published game every single month, and it's working for them. Why draw attention to 2018 at this point when so much is still set to come out this year?

Your post gives me the impression that you have no recollection of the Wii U's first year. We got NSMBU/NintendoLand at launch, than NO first party games until Pikmin 3 nine months later. Considering we haven't even hit the 7 month mark and we have this much stuff coming our way, I'd say things are going pretty damn well.

jariw

Detailing the immediate future is what Nintendo Directs have been about since the beginning.

That's why people are laughing about all those crying about it. They still haven't learnt.

Except for that Direct a few months after the Wii U launch, were they felt forced to talk about games arriving two years later.

They already have several 2018 games announced, why would they go into detail for those 8-12 months in advance? To fill fanboy bingo cards?

I wasn't especially thrilled by this Direct. It had some highlights sure but nothing mind blowing.

It'll be the next Direct in November/December that should get us pumped for 2018 with megaton announcement(s); this one was really their push on games releasing this holiday.

Almost fell asleep during the Xenoblade segment though. Too long & that damm voice!!!

KaneU

I am a bit disappointed that there wasn't a single new first party announcement for the Switch.
I hope they will have something substantial to release in January and February (I assume that the Kirby game will be released in March).
Also the lack of Platinum was such a bummer :/

Nothing

The answer to your question is the first six words of your post. Calm down.

Thatanas

I don't understand people. You want to see Prime 4 that is not coming until 2019 most likely? Pokémon that is not releasing for over a year at least? New AAA hits such as Mario Maker 2, Smash 5, Retro's Project while the schedule for Nintendo is filled up to spring?

Jesus guys, settle down. Enjoy Mario, enjoy Fire Emblem, enjoy Xenoblade, enjoy Skyrim, enjoy Sports. Worry about 2018 and later titles in...well, 2018 and later, not now in september with some big titles about to be released.

And stop complaining about Retro, maybe it is a game that requires 4+ year in development (not unusual), maybe they had some difficulties (not unusual). We don't know what they are up to so once again: P A T I E N C E.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"It's been 3 months since E3 and they haven't made any major first party announcements!"

Wtf is that metric goddamn. People are nuts.

I'm on the hook for like $400 dollars worth of Switch software between now and the end of the year. That's not counting whatever I might buy for my PS4 Pro.

Getting a date on XB2, confirmation that Octopath is going to be dope, Doomenstein, new footage of that Kirby game that I'm now super excited for and extra proof that Mario is going to be the only thing that matters in the world about 6 weeks from now made the Direct pretty solid in my eyes.

EDIT: I just remembered there's still DLC for Zelda and Mario Rabbids that we know pretty much nothing about. My gaming schedule is packed.

Although, I would've happily bet real human money that a Platinum game was going to show up. Why are they doing this to us?

Piscus

Nothing

You almost refuse to be satisfied. Like, with anything.

faridmon

Really fantastic Direct. Full of games, both new and old, and the pace was great.

really baffled by some comments here, but again. Not everyone is gonna be happy.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2, LA Noire (If I can et phyiscal for cheap) and Doom are day 1 buys for me this year.

FIFA and Skyrim are Day 10 or 20, and I might get ARMS.

jph139

This definitely felt like a "shoring up defenses" sort of Direct but, all things considered, that's not shocking. The Bethesda announcements were big enough to make a splash and, honestly, with there being a major Nintendo title coming out every month through December, I feel like there wasn't much room for new announcements anyways.

Early next year seems a bit barren I'll admit. Still time to fill those slots though.

The only big questions for me at this point are BOTW DLC (why didn't it get a trailer?) and what the hell is up with Animal Crossing.

Top Bottom