• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX 4 being developed by Criterion ?

alr1ghtstart said:
Wouldn't it be awkward to control on 360? Unless they tweak the controls, holding LB and LT would be really strange.
What does it matter? Criterion develops first and foremost for the PlayStation 3 anyway.
smiley_smug.gif

But I digress. As I said in the other thread: oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God let this be true.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
epmode said:
I might regret asking this, but why?("On Tour" || "Blur") != '5'

Is SSX really a huge franchise? The "5" in the title might put some people off thinking they're lttp.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This would be amazing if true, I think Criterion could do a great job. I just hope they don't make it too extreme. I personally think SSX3 struck the perfect balance between over-the-top arcadey and realistic (the realistic part being the awesome mountain environments).

And it has to be an open mountain, like in 3 (preferably even more open, with the possibility to go down any side of it and end up in different places depending on which route you take). I loved the feeling of free-riding from the top of the highest peak in SSX3 and just going where I felt like.

Snakeyes

Please let it have the variety of Tricky and not a single big mountain. I would be fine with multiple mountains though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Why can't they just take Tricky or SSX3, give it an update. And charge 40$. Add in some new maps and such. But a nice graphical overall, improved online structure, and a few other things would just be wonderful.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Snakeyes said:
Please let it have the variety of Tricky and not a single big mountain. I would be fine with multiple mountains though.

I don't see why a single, huge mountain could not have loads of variety.

Snakeyes

RoadHazard said:

Not saying it couldn't, but Tricky's tracks felt more unique to me that 3's. Therefore, I conclude that this effect is easier to achieve on separate tracks than on one huge mountain but I'd love Criterion to prove me wrong.

ALL OVER MY FACE...

In terms of naming. It should just be SSX. I'd think of it as a reboot to the game, incorporating elements in all the previous ones.

AlphaTwo00 said:
ALL OVER MY FACE...

In terms of naming. It should just be SSX. I'd think of it as a reboot to the game, incorporating elements in all the previous ones.

I agree with this post.

Bring back Kaori and Psymon please.

Arucardo

SSX Paradise ...I know, I'm sorry I went there :D . Since they've made those hoverboard games I could definitely see Criterion making an SSX game. How big is the staff there? I mean they're working on the new need for speed too.

epmode said:
("On Tour" || "Blur") != '5'

Yeah, but people have been referring to SSX:OT as SSX 4 for years. (See Wikipedia redirecting "SSX4" to On Tour, merqurycity.com and big sites like IGN using ssx4/ as their URL for On Tour, etc.) Just because the game fucking sucks doesn't mean they should reuse its number. :lol

(Probably any new SSX game will have a subtitle like Burnout/NFS/the last two SSX games anyway.)

RoadHazard said:

I'm not sure there's an inherent reason why it couldn't, but it certainly didn't. I didn't care for the one-mountain thing anyway so I'd rather they ditch it and make the coolest and most unique tracks possible.

Arucardo said:
So the only SSX game I've played (On Tour) is the worst of the bunch? :lol

WTFFFFF You need to play Tricky, and SSX3 to get a REAL taste of SSX greatness. More so SSX Tricky because the personalities, tracks, and rivalries make the experience so fun.

charlequin said:
3 is the best extreme sports game ever made.

Fixed

But why are we going nuts over all of this? We know they're doing this years Need for Speed, and if the team isn't big enough to handle more then one game. Then it isn't happening, seems simple enough?

MCX

Banned
Please be true! I've been craving a new SSX for years. SSX = best extreme sports franchise EVAR
Fuck Tony Hawk

cabottemp

Banned
So many reasons why Criterion should develop the next SSX game, but for me, the main reason is after the game's released, you know criterion is going to support the fuck out of it.

JWong

Banned
I think SSX makes more sense being developed where it always has been because of the location and the nature of the city.

Neptune

SSX Tricky was the series' peak and everything went downhill after that. It's one of my favourite games of all time, and it still gets picked up for multiplayer sessions with friends.

I really disliked how SSX 3 handled character development compared to the simplicity of Tricky, unlocking extras and improving stats became a huge chore to do for even a single character and the loss of variety between them made it seem all the more pointless. The rest of the games in the series aren't even worth mentioning.

This is the only sports game, I enjoy. I love the characters and the general flow of the game.

However On Tour sucked. And shouldn't even be mentioned EVER. I was so mad when I played that game especially since it came right after the amazing SSX3.

I have faith in Criterion tho, if the amazing feeling from driving around Paradise City transitions to riding down a mountain I will finally have a game I can play at any time and have instant satisfaction.

The Chef said:
SSX by Criteron would be perfect. I'd imagine they would do a single massive mountain, with chair lifts and helicopters to go to different locations all over the place. Totally free roam SSX snowboarding heaven.

Please be true.
And no restart event option.

domlolz

Banned
I trust the developer of burnout 1-3 with SSX but the developer of Burnout Paradise...not so much

Lets hope they can give SSX the sequel it deserves

You know why Criterion should work on SSX? Looking at this thread and the Paradise thread, it's clear that both fanbase are just as split on which game in the series is the pinicale. I, for one, welcome the fact that it's back.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
charlequin said:
Isn't Burnout Paradise supposed to be ludicrously awesome?

If you thought SSX3 was better than Tricky, you might prefer Paradise to Revenge. I recommend the latter in both cases, though.

Johningame

Neo Member
Criterion is just the right developer for this. Oh to be doing a 30 minute run in high def... OK--I just added SSX3 to my Sunday game rotation!

mooooose

This sounds fucking amazing. It sounds like EA said, "You guys have to take Need for Speed, but for doing so great on Burnout you can pick out any other IP if you want to do that too".

I can't fucking wait. If we see these two games and maybe even another Burnout before this generation is up, I'll be proclaiming Criterion as developer of the generation. I'm doing it already now anyway. Burnout Paradise is still the best game of 2008, this generation, and now it's the best bang for your buck ($25 for the game + island DLC that gives you like 60 hours of content? Yes please).

Burnout Paradise is an amazing game and the only reason it got pooped on was because of the restart thing and the fact that jaded fans couldn't get past the idea of an open world. The game's execution was spot on, stop being dorks.

Filldough

Been waiting for SSX news for quite some time now. This is great news. Love Criterion as well so I can see this being an awesome game, hopefully we see some info at E3 or sooner.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Criterion's gonna take this to a whole other level, not just live up to 3 and Tricky.

After that, please do a Burnout 3 HD :D

To those that want a free roam mountain...why? You can't get the variety as seen in Tricky. Mercury City, Tokyo Megaplex? How would you have those on a mountain:lol

vireland

demosthenes said:
To those that want a free roam mountain...why? You can't get the variety as seen in Tricky. Mercury City, Tokyo Megaplex? How would you have those on a mountain:lol

Exactly. Tricky is the template to expand. Extremely addictive and very "pick up and play". Everything after it was less than ideal.

Snakeyes

demosthenes said:

"Going down the whole mountain in 30 minutes with complete freedom was an enlightening experience."

Or something like that.

ahoyhoy said:
If you thought SSX3 was better than Tricky, you might prefer Paradise to Revenge. I recommend the latter in both cases, though.

My point is really just that like... as I said, I think SSX Tricky is way better than SSX3 -- but SSX3 is still an awesome game. My understanding was that Burnout Paradise was still an awesome game, separate from the specific question of whether it's "the best Burnout" or not.

-PXG- said:
If it is real, just make it like Tricky, or, preferably, SSX 3. kthx.
This. I've been wanting SSX3 with proper Xbox Live functionality forever. I think SSX3 was the pinnacle of snowboarding games.

There's no reason you could make a ton of crazy courses like Mercury City and Tokyo Megaplex and build them into a free-roaming mountain as segments, much like SSX3 did with its race tracks. It might be a contrivance, but would it really matter if it was fun and creative? I completely agree that I don't want them to take the Paradise route and just turn a mountain into a race course, but if you design it with predetermined courses in mind, I think it could totally work.

Top Bottom