• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new Sony Japan Studio game - Panopticon (Trailer up, announcing May 21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Patapon 4 aka Patapon 1,000,000 years in the past?

nofi

Not sure which thread we're sticking with, but found this:

ogp.jpg

Tekku

I hope this is a new IP. Panopticon is something to be taken seriously, it's a theme that can be explored in many interesting ways.

I recommend everyone to read about Panopticon if you don't know anything about it already.

Sorral

Panopticon

Looks interesting. So something prison related?
Really interested after reading up on this now.

Edit: Or Panopticism o.o
The whole concept is more likely than the prison thing along with that Greek meaning.

Panopticon

Looks interesting. So something prison related?
Really interested after reading up on this now.

Edit: Or Panopticism o.o
The whole concept is more likely than the prison thing along with that Greek meaning.

The whole setup with with the numbers being CCTV-esque monitors hooked together definitely suggest the latter. It also makes a lot more sense for a game to be built around surveillance and accountability than just a prison where the guards always see you.

danmaku

The whole setup with with the numbers being CCTV-esque monitors hooked together definitely suggest the latter. It also makes a lot more sense for a game to be built around surveillance and accountability than just a prison where the guards always see you.

So, a spiritual sequel to Night Trap? :p

Sorral

Definitely. I was still reading and it does seem to be that way a lot more than the former.

The concepts from "Panopticism in Foucault's Discipline and Punish" are very interesting. The year will be 1m in whatever they are revealing yet the surrounding place to the hooked up timers don't reflect a clean look. Quoting the following as a concept not literally:
As hinted at by the architecture, this panoptic design can be used for any "population" that needs to be kept under observation or control, such as: prisoners, schoolchildren, medical patients, or workers:
"If the inmates are convicts, there is no danger of a plot, an attempt at collective escape, the planning of new crimes for the future, bad reciprocal influences; if they are patients, there is no danger of contagion; if they are madmen there is no risk of their committing violence upon one another; if they are schoolchildren, there is no copying, no noise, no chatter, no waste of time; if they are workers, there are no disorders, no theft, no coalitions, none of those distractions that slow down the rate of work, make it less perfect or cause accidents"

Afrit

New innovative Vita game, believe!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528090
Don Mesa said:
we got some in the works that I can’t talk about right now. There are games that Worldwide Studios guys are building that are… going to be very interesting and innovative, but to give it away too early… we’re always worried about copycats,”

But the timing (a few days before Xbox event) suggest it's console (PS3/PS4) related. It could be for both also (handheld/console) with asynchronous multiplayer concept. Ex. Vita owners play as one of the prisoners and PS3/PS4 are the guards/Warden, or vice versa ;P

enough speculations for the day.

doemaaan

The counter reaches the year 1,000,000 at that time.

OH....... I didn't notice is was counting upwards. Silly me.
Btw, I read that little quote you posted a while ago and decided to google it myself. Interesting stuff.

The Panopticon is a type of institutional building designed by English philosopher and social theorist Jeremy Bentham in the late 18th century. The concept of the design is to allow a watchman to observe (-opticon) all (pan-) inmates of an institution without them being able to tell whether or not they are being watched.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon

Sorral

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not sure which thread we're sticking with, but found this:

ogp.jpg

No one tried to use this image with a barcode reader app?

PS:
I hope it's not an "original" game for vita, i want more "banal" rpgs, action games etc.

Cha

No one tried to use this image with a barcode reader app?

PS:
I hope it's not an "original" game for vita, i want more "banal" rpgs, action games etc.

Tried with my phone, got nothing. Then again, I have a terrible camera :/
Anyone else tried?

I really doubt it is a PS4 game because otherwise they would have saved it for E3

Vita sounds most likely. Handheld games don't show well at conferences, it's best revealed at an online event like this.

Am I the only person who finds it really creepy they're using Ustream? It's like.. they're counting up to something too much for us to handle O_O

Tripolygon

Banned
I really doubt it is a PS4 game because otherwise they would have saved it for E3

Vita sounds most likely. Handheld games don't show well at conferences, it's best revealed at an online event like this.

Or maybe they have enough content to show at E3 so they plan on revealing games up until the final blowout at E3. I'm sure they have some games saved for Gamescom and TGS but I also think its a Vita title or some service related to Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom