• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game |OT| Cards of Cthulhu

Ohnonono

So I had a question. I have some of the expansions but I don't have the Dunwich Legacy itself. Can I use the player deck cards (for deck building & upgrades between campaigns) from those in the core set campaign? Or can I only use core set cards?

You can use the player cards.

derdriu

Subbed, such good timing seeing this thread! I just got the base set today. Can't wait to get home and open it. I'll be spending my night going through tutorial videos. This is my first Lcg I've ever bought. Hope I'm not in over my head. Expect lots of questions 😊

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah being able to update decks and run through old scenarios with new investigators definitely adds a ton to the replay value imo.

Subbed, such good timing seeing this thread! I just got the base set today. Can't wait to get home and open it. I'll be spending my night going through tutorial videos. This is my first Lcg I've ever bought. Hope I'm not in over my head. Expect lots of questions ��

Haha...don't worry there really isn't anything super "LCG" about this other than just new cards that come out every month or so with scenarios. But you don't have to keep up with a meta like you do with competitive games.

Recommended Viewing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzliu_-xNNQ

Yeah being able to update decks and run through old scenarios with new investigators definitely adds a ton to the replay value imo.

Haha...don't worry there really isn't anything super "LCG" about this other than just new cards that come out every month or so with scenarios. But you don't have to keep up with a meta like you do with competitive games.

Recommended Viewing:
Astro, my trusted fella, what will you do for carcosa?
Buy progressively and play when you have all or play progressively?
For dunwhich when I started with dunwich + 5 mythos, waiting for the last one was hell..
So I suppose that starting the mythos when I have just one might be sort of underwhelming...

I'm considering getting the full Lotr lcg to fill time for mythos release..
Technically there's also l5r lcg, but it seems more of a android net runner game than a adventure lcg if I understood from the previews...

hoggert

Finally started the Dunwich mythos packs. Miskatonic Museum was kinda meh. I get what they were going for, with
one monster as far as I saw
and
tons of locations
but even with some horrendous, absolutely horrendous rolls (an entire turn and tons of cards wasted on back to back autofails on the last clue) we managed to finish with only 4 or 5 doom on the second agenda. Felt like a less annoying (due to no treachery cards that mill your deck or getting screwed by Jazz) version of Extracurricular activity in the base set, which my girlfriend and I still haven't been able to beat, even on Easy.

Can't wait to do Essex next. Cultists on a train lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Astro, my trusted fella, what will you do for carcosa?
Buy progressively and play when you have all or play progressively?
For dunwhich when I started with dunwich + 5 mythos, waiting for the last one was hell..
So I suppose that starting the mythos when I have just one might be sort of underwhelming...

I'm considering getting the full Lotr lcg to fill time for mythos release..
Technically there's also l5r lcg, but it seems more of a android net runner game than a adventure lcg if I understood from the previews...
Almost definitely play progressively, schedule permitting. It's almost like a good tv show for us, waiting for each new episode.

XShagrath

Almost definitely play progressively, schedule permitting. It's almost like a good tv show for us, waiting for each new episode.
Same here. I enjoy looking forward to the next pack each month and seeing what comes next. Then, after the campaign is over, I'll do another one using all the available player cards at the beginning and probably having a slightly easier time.

Our second campaign is up to Where Doom Awaits now, so we'll probably wrap that up next time we play. I don't know if we'll get to it this coming week though, since I just got 7th Continent, and that's probably going to take priority.

Finally started the Dunwich mythos packs. Miskatonic Museum was kinda meh. I get what they were going for, with
one monster as far as I saw
and
tons of locations
but even with some horrendous, absolutely horrendous rolls (an entire turn and tons of cards wasted on back to back autofails on the last clue) we managed to finish with only 4 or 5 doom on the second agenda. Felt like a less annoying (due to no treachery cards that mill your deck or getting screwed by Jazz) version of Extracurricular activity in the base set, which my girlfriend and I still haven't been able to beat, even on Easy.

Can't wait to do Essex next. Cultists on a train lol

Funny, I had the opposite happen with me and my friend. We beat Extracurricular Activity on our first try (
Assuming by beat, you mean kill the Experiment
). Miskatonic we actually lost on (though we really only needed like one or two more turns, and I feel like next time we play through the campaign we will get it. Made a mistake of
killing the monster too much early on, really bit us in the ass at the end.If we had just evaded it at the start, we would have won the scenario pretty handily.

Going on vacation for a week, but when I get back my friend and I are going to be taking on some train cultists as well!

Getting ready to get back into the game. Previously I only attempted the first scenario months ago. I own the core set and all the expansions for the Dunwich cycle.

I am going to be playing solo two handed and want to have an enjoyable experience. Would it be better to play on the easy difficulty setting or get a second copy of the core set and/or open up The Dunwich Legacy to build better decks? I do want some challenge to the game but don't want the experience to be very draining since I will be playing two handed.

hoggert

Funny, I had the opposite happen with me and my friend. We beat Extracurricular Activity on our first try (
Assuming by beat, you mean kill the Experiment
). Miskatonic we actually lost on (though we really only needed like one or two more turns, and I feel like next time we play through the campaign we will get it. Made a mistake of
killing the monster too much early on, really bit us in the ass at the end.If we had just evaded it at the start, we would have won the scenario pretty handily.

Going on vacation for a week, but when I get back my friend and I are going to be taking on some train cultists as well!
We got lucky on Miskatonic as
the Horror only spawned 2-3 times
and we managed to keep it away from my Rex for the most part. Plus got lucky with locked doors only being drawn when there were zero clues on the "board." As for Extracurricular Activity, wall of spoilers:
First run through, my girlfriend was playing Zoey and got milled down by treachery's then mauled trying to stop the Experiment. Jazz being the second to last card in the encounter deck completely destroyed us as well. The Experiment got to the dorms and we decided to start over.
Second run through went even worse. We never found Jazz! Asshole was the last card of the deck and to make things worse I drew Rex's Curse four times. We ended up just giving up when we realized we couldn't stop the Experiment at all.
Third time, we decided to play on easy. Draws were terrible yet again and we weren't able to get to the Science labs on time to get the concoction thing. Had to settle for a low victory point win evacuating the students from the dorms.
So, not a fan of that scenario at all. Especially
the milling treachery cards in the encounter deck or Jazz just hiding out.
I liked how the setup of Miskatonic avoided the problems of
Jazz
, even if it made it possible to predict/meta-game your way through it. The House Always Wins on the other hand... that scenario is genius. Rules are a little hard to get a handle on but so crazy, and not something I expected in the slightest given the medium or the setting. Lovecraft in a speakeasy. Just typing that out is amazing.

Edit: The core set and the mythos packs are showing up on some online retailers. Just ordered another core set from Cardhaus.

The fiancé and I finished two playthroughs of Dunwich. I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I’ll avoid spoilers.

First we ran Zoey and Pete. Pete was decent at fighting and investigating, but not amazing at either. And Zoey is only good at fighting.
We often found we didn’t have enough investigating power to find clues as fast as we needed to, while often having plenty of combat resources, but nothing to fight.
Too many turns were spent with Pete collecting a couple clues while Zoey just didn’t really have anything to do.
We failed the campaign and things didn’t turn out so well.

Next we ran Daisy and Jenny. We were turned off by Rex’s really bad looking weakness and really underwhelming looking exclusive card, which is why we went for Daisy instead of trying Rex. Jenny is pretty great though. I think having a clue-getter plus a jack of all trades works better than having a fighter and a jack of all trades, at least in this campaign.

We fared much better than the first time around in just about every scenario. The only one we straight up lost was Essex County Express; we at least made some progress, after both getting defeated in only like 2 turns in the first playthrough. Oddly enough it looks like this scenario is often regarded as one of the easiest in the campaign, yet we had a bad go of it both times.

We were successful overall this time though, and beat the campaign, although Daisy died heroically.

We blew through these pretty quickly, and I can’t imagine waiting a whole month after every scenario. I think I’m going to do the same as I did with Dunwich, and wait 6 months for all of Carcosa to release before touching it.

derdriu

Recommended Viewing:

Thanks Astro,when I saw all the scenarios and the different stand alone adventures I wasn't sure about getting into LCG, (worrying about future costs and stuff) but I love the world and the art is gorgeous so decided to give it a go. And thanks so much for the link it was a big help.

KiKaL

Question on Carnivale of Horrors these are probably extremely minor spoilers so I will use the spoil tag.

So the first question is, when you look at a masked carnevale-goer using the act 1 ability, you just peek at the car but keep it with the masked side up. However, if it is a bad guy, it says you are attacked by the monster. So this means, you lose health/sanity but the monster remains in that location with the masked side up? Typing this made that actually make a lot more sense if I am correct.

The next part I had a question on is that I assume parleying an innocent revealer takes up your ally slot. That made sense but what confused me was the Poleman enemy who's prey says "Most innocent revelers controller." That makes it sound like someone could have more than one?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
not too soon...
the thirst is real :X

Lol

spain site says sept

http://www.fantasyflightgames.es/en_desarrollo?fref=gc

they had plenty of copies at GenCon.. didn't sell out until Saturday I believe.

also confirmed with FFG at GenCon that the 12 player scenario from GenCon will be available POD this fall.

CSI in the US is saying 8/31, as speculated. Nothing official on the FFG page yet, but that date seems very likely.

Cool.

Looking forward to Fall/Winter, since I'll have more time to play hopefully.

Noaloha

Question on Carnivale of Horrors these are probably extremely minor spoilers so I will use the spoil tag.

Q.
So the first question is, when you look at a masked carnevale-goer using the act 1 ability, you just peek at the car but keep it with the masked side up. However, if it is a bad guy, it says you are attacked by the monster. So this means, you lose health/sanity but the monster remains in that location with the masked side up? Typing this made that actually make a lot more sense if I am correct.
A.
The instruction of "attacks if it's an enemy" is only part of that specific action trigger on the front (unrevealed) side of the Carneval-Goer. If you flip it using the Act 1 aaction trigger, you don't get attacked if you see an enemy. (This would still apply to the female enemy, -- Elisabet? -- who stays revealed if you find her using the Act 1 action; as long as you're not using that specific action trigger on the front of Masked Carenval-Goer, the enemy wouldn't get to attack when flipped.)

Q.
The next part I had a question on is that I assume parleying an innocent revealer takes up your ally slot. That made sense but what confused me was the Poleman enemy who's prey says "Most innocent revelers controller." That makes it sound like someone could have more than one?
A.
It doesn't take up an ally slot. The reason is that it doesn't have the 'Ally' slot symbol in the bottom corner. It's still traited (the bold italic text) as 'Ally' but cards only take up your player area's slots if they have the relevant symbol.

KiKaL

Thank you that makes so much more sense.

So in relation to question one to make sure I completely understand:

The safe option is to spend a clue to use the action on the Act card to peak at a masked carnivale-goer and then you spend another clue to use the action on the masked-carnivale goer to flip it if it was an innocent revealer. Finally you would want to parley them. Of course, you could take the gamble and just flip the carnivale goer if needed without peaking first. I had confused myself by thinking the action on the carnivale goer and the act where one and the same.

Noaloha

So in relation to question one to make sure I completely understand:

That's the aim, yeah, unless you think your investigator can handle (or even benefit) from the bad outcome. I generally always endeavour to avoid that
blind reveal
, but have chosen to do so willingly (occasionally desperately) as circumstances have dictated; whatever happens to be most action-efficient is the correct call, since this scenario is so short on time (or, more precisely, is so unforgiving of multiple failed actions, plus has an encounter deck which loves to screw up your best laid plans and remove/delay your progress).

XShagrath

I assume this scenario for up to twelve players can't be played with, or at least wouldn't scale well with, two players?
I wasn't at GenCon, so I haven't played this yet. From what I understand, it was split into three groups of four, with each running a different piece of the scenario. According to a post on reddit, it contains rules for running it as 12, 4, and solo. So I assume it will scale well at pretty much any player count. It also cannot be integrated into a campaign, so it is a true stand-alone scenario.

It also contains some alternate art cards of Leo DeLuca. No word yet on if those will make it into the POD version or not, but I doubt it. They look a lot different design-wise, so I doubt I'd even use them if I had them.

hoggert

If there's one thing I hate about Arkham, it's the tentacle/auto-fail token. There's nothing more frustrating then pumping a stat up a bit and/or committing some cards to pass a test and it all being for nothing. Nearly lost two scenarios in a row due to drawing it at crucial tests back to back with both players, for example: I wasted an entire turn trying to evade a 5 to 3 base skill test, then my girlfriend moved into the location to kill the enemy only to waste her turn with misses that hit me. All thanks to three auto-fail tokens and one elder god token (Miskatonic Museum spoiler:
Why the fuck did I take the book ;_;
). Salt aside, I guess the beauty of the game is you can just take the damn token out of the chaos bag if you get frustrated enough. And break the game in the process, of course.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you really hate auto-fail I think you could easily throw in the -6 or -8 instead and I wouldn't really consider it mechanically changed by much. (Or just play Grotesque Statue + Scavenge like my friend does.)

The tentacle is just that Arkham flavor where you can never be fully confident but there are lots of ways to house-rule it that would still preserve the balance imo.

Fury451

Banned
If there's one thing I hate about Arkham, it's the tentacle/auto-fail token. There's nothing more frustrating then pumping a stat up a bit and/or committing some cards to pass a test and it all being for nothing. Nearly lost two scenarios in a row due to drawing it at crucial tests back to back with both players, for example: I wasted an entire turn trying to evade a 5 to 3 base skill test, then my girlfriend moved into the location to kill the enemy only to waste her turn with misses that hit me. All thanks to three auto-fail tokens and one elder god token (Miskatonic Museum spoiler:
Why the fuck did I take the book ;_;
). Salt aside, I guess the beauty of the game is you can just take the damn token out of the chaos bag if you get frustrated enough. And break the game in the process, of course.

That kind of thing is something I've always disliked about FFG Arkham stuff. I get that it's a "fear the unknown"/cosmic horror thing but I hate it anyway. A lot of setup to waste time.

Big One

Banned
I'm ok with it, it keeps the games mostly different for the most part. Also it isn't like there isn't ways around that stuff it's just really finicky to go about. What's great about all of this is that Arkham Horror LCG rewards you with content even if you lose the game.

hoggert

Thank you for the advice guys, I think we're going to switch to a -6 or -8 for future campaigns. So when there's a session defining skill test at the least, its more a feeling of "oh crap, we didn't invest enough supplies/cards" rather then rnglol. I understand it's not be in the spirit of the game, but it really sucks when an entire game is ruined by constant tentacle reveals. For example, the combination of bad luck and pulls wasn't so demoralizing the first time we played and failed Extracurricular, so we kept wanting to try it, and figure out the tricks of its mechanics. Not so much when we nearly failed Undimensioned due to constant horrible pulls. Both of us loved that scenario, by the way. Tension was at 11 the entire session due to some of the more frustrating enemies in the encounter deck.

Funnily enough, I initially skipped in buying Arkham partly due to SUSD and No Pun Included's video reviews. Mostly due to replayability criticisms and needing a second core set for full deck building plus the scarcity of the core set. Glad I gave it a second look.

Noaloha

Thank you for the advice guys, I think we're going to switch to a -6 or -8 for future campaigns.

Keep in mind that, outside of the token's own auto-fail effect on skill checks, there are several card effects which reference the tentacle token (Shrivelling, Necronomicon-John Dee, etc.). You might want to keep the tentacle token in but just consider its effect as a given numerical modifier, or be sure to clarify before a game that your -6 or -8 or whatever will still trigger any of those card effects.

hoggert

Keep in mind that, outside of the token's own auto-fail effect on skill checks, there are several card effects which reference the tentacle token (Shrivelling, Necronomicon-John Dee, etc.). You might want to keep the tentacle token in but just consider its effect as a given numerical modifier, or be sure to clarify before a game that your -6 or -8 or whatever will still trigger any of those card effects.

Good idea, thanks. Definitely keeping the token in the chaos bag for solo games, but taking it out when playing with less then hardcore partners.

Just picked up the base set today. Gotta read through all the rules and such but this looks like rad times.

Excellent, our cult is growing by the day. If you have any questions about the rules or anything else about the game feel free to ask. Me or anyone else here will be glad to answer I'm sure.

XShagrath

Doesn't look like Carcosa's going to drop today, as it's still listed as being on the boat. :(

Going to be finishing up Dunwich tomorrow. We just have the last two scenarios to play, and I think we're in a pretty good spot with our decks and only one physical trauma from my buddy shooting me twice during the first scenario.

After that, I'm introducing a friend to the game on the weekend. We're probably going to run the core scenarios with him playing Jenny and me with either Rex or Daisy (haven't decided yet).

Update: Carcosa's moved to shipping. Street date is 9/14.

XShagrath

I've got a decision to make for pimping my location connectors. Right now, I'm just using toothpicks and I'm pretty embarrassed by them, with everything else done up fairly nice. Both of these are right around the same price.

pic3593101_md.jpg

https://img0.etsystatic.com/215/0/13851144/il_570xN.1276561748_ohlv.jpg

il_570xN.1276561748_ohlv.jpg

16 double-ended connectors that can be split if needed. The advantage of these is that you can angle them for weird layouts.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Man I hate Obscuring Fog. In, Where Doom Awaits it almost screwed me. Also Rex's curse is such pain in the ass. Having a blast though. Moving onto the final chapter for the first time in Dunwich.

Neverfade

Ok, I got a metric ton of cards and I'm almost ready to play. Just need some decks. Anyone have recommendations/links to some dope decks for two players using just 2 cores (I'm going to crack them open in order, so starting small)?

Ok, I got a metric ton of cards and I'm almost ready to play. Just need some decks. Anyone have recommendations/links to some dope decks for two players using just 2 cores (I'm going to crack them open in order, so starting small)?

I use ArkhamDB to both check out other peoples deck ideas and build/save my own decks. If you are looking for core decks for 2 you can do to decklists > seach and then tick off all the 'allowed set' boxes other then the cores and you will get a nice list to peruse. Generally people will list what player count the deck is designed for and the more popular/higher rated ones also include a bit of text from the author explaining the build works and strategies and stuff which can be useful to get you into the character.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
After that, I'm introducing a friend to the game on the weekend. We're probably going to run the core scenarios with him playing Jenny and me with either Rex or Daisy (haven't decided yet).

I am so freaking ready to play this game.

The first core set is back in stock at FFG.

Neverfade

Really? Haven't heard that. Is there a reason to not buy from them??

I've probably spent nearly a grand a year at CSI since 2009. I've had problems with orders twice in 8 years, and both times they were quickly responsive and sorted my problem right out. You're flying friendly skies with CSI.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Haven't heard that. Is there a reason to not buy from them??

Oh, you know how insecure small card shops and their customers can be... CSI is cheaper and has mostly everything, so naturally they suck. I don't have a problem with them, but I also don't "advertise" that I shop there when at my smaller local stores.

XShagrath

I've probably spent nearly a grand a year at CSI since 2009. I've had problems with orders twice in 8 years, and both times they were quickly responsive and sorted my problem right out. You're flying friendly skies with CSI.

Oh, you know how insecure small card shops and their customers can be... CSI is cheaper and has mostly everything, so naturally they suck. I don't have a problem with them, but I also don't "advertise" that I shop there when at my smaller local stores.

Makes sense. They do tons of online sales, so the local stores really can't compete on prices. I live in Orlando (where they're headquartered), and I don't see how other stores can even stay alive with them nearby. For example, there's a store near my work that sells all their games for close to MSRP. They also do comics and stuff, so maybe that sustains them. I hardly ever see anyone in there, whereas CoolStuff has customers every time I go in, no matter what time or day.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
For example, there's a store near my work that sells all their games for close to MSRP. They also do comics and stuff, so maybe that sustains them. I hardly ever see anyone in there, whereas CoolStuff has customers every time I go in, no matter what time or day.

Are you taking about Campus Cards and Games? It's a decent store--good players. I have meet some tournament Magic players there. Though they don't have the stock of CSI.

Top Bottom