• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To the "Destiny 2 looks like DLC" crowd. Why?

eggandI

Banned
Destiny 2 looks like the type of stuff you see in Reaper of Souls for Diablo 3 aka a big expansion but nothing fundamentally game changing.

I guess if Blizzard didn't market this as Destiny 2 then people would have had less complaints. If this was like "Destiny: Awakening", like a mega expansion/relaunch then people would've been fine with it even at $60 price tag.

In any case I have said more on the topic than I would care to... will definitely not be getting Destiny 2.

I guess they went with 2 to trick more people into checking it out

and yeah i'm giving this shit a hard pass. looks like a low effort cash in.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I think the problem is that they didn't really show anything that was "next gen". D1 was definitely hampered by being cross-gen, but I think most of us expected something huge with the fact that they don't have to develop for PS3/360 anymore.

This was also in my mind as well. When you're told it's a new engine without being hampered by older consoles you tend to imagine a substantial upgrade but it looks like a slight refinement instead. The particles look phenomenal now though. I was surprised by a noticeable lack of antialiasing in a lot of the reveal though.

Ganhyun

The Matchmaking will be longer? So what?

Let's give you a 30 minute window to play a game before you can no longer play and then take up to 10-20% of your time away and make you sit there waiting in a matchmaking queue.

Still feel like it doesn't matter?

dengatron

From what some Destiny fan friends have told me I think it's because of how the original was kinda constructed like a MMO.
New story missions, new locations, a new raid, new wepons, etc, that's the type of thing people have come to expect from expansions and from Destiny as this ever growing game.

With this being called Destiny 2 and starting again as a standalone game some people were expecting more radical changes in the same way that I think expectations would be different if we ever got a Wow 2 or a Final Fantasy XIV-2 and Blizzard/Square were like "so there are new locations and a new story, and we have reworked the classes a bit and there is a new raid"

i think the problem with that though is that with each "expansion" to base destiny, starting late felt even more imposing to people jumping in late. i played 300 hours when the game launched but didn't touch it after even crota's end was patched in. i'd be completely lost and massively behind if i decided to come back and start playing today. conversely, them starting with a clean slate with destiny 2 means i can hop into the game with no disadvantage and on the same learning curve as everyone else playing the game. it's a lot easier to swallow a "new game" even in a line of iterative ever evolving worlds, and it's part of the reason why copies of wow's newest expansion always come with a character boost to previous max level cap to start you right where you left off. i know they did that for maybe taken king or something but it still might be a bit overwhelming for returning players.

i think a big part of the whole reason people don't see the "next gen feel unhampered by ps360" is because a lot of the things they announced as gameplay additions that weren't possible on older consoles simply weren't shown during this reveal. once they start showing what patrol consists of now, and people start playing the beta, we'll get a better picture of if the world is actually full of things to do instead of riding around picking spinmetal.

nOoblet16

I can't recall any boss encounter outside a raid which is different from this. They just seem to simply not give a shit. It was one of my biggest complaints about D1. Three years and they still seem to be apathetic to any level of effort for encounter design outside the raids. I'm hoping I'm totally wrong and they actually have some interesting non-raid encounters in D2.
Skolas, Psion Flayers and perhaps Bond Brothers.

The biggest complaint I don't get is that we're fighting the same enemies.

I mean... yeah? Were people upset when we were still fighting Elites and Grunts in the Halo sequels?

And it's not like there's nothing new. We've already seen that new Cabal lizard enemy thing. I guarantee there are new units for the other races as well.

Brohan

I liked Destiny 1 for what it was and i will buy Destiny 2 (and enjoy it) aswell but with all that said everything listed in the OP sounds exactly like what a good expansion could achieve.

The fact that there isn't even a single new class or race is a huge bummer to me and the fact that there is only 1 Raid just makes me feel like they didn't learn from their mistakes at all.

I hope they prove me wrong and that they have alot more to reveal at E3.

recks

Let's give you a 30 minute window to play a game before you can no longer play and then take up to 10-20% of your time away and make you sit there waiting in a matchmaking queue.

Still feel like it doesn't matter?
The game came out in 2014. Is anyone complaining about the MM in Titanfall 1?

JayBabay

I played Destiny for around 200 hours, on the low side compared to so many here but I've done almost all of the content through The Taken King. For me, that's a lot of time spent on one game.

I know there are people who have spent thousands of hours on it. I have a cousin who has been playing Black Ops 1 since it came out, and to this day that's all he always goes back to, even after trying newer COD's, GTA V, he's happier being great at one thing and only doing that one thing over and over.

I, personally, can't fathom spending that much time on any game because I would quickly get over doing the same thing so many times, where it becomes familiar to the point that I can't derive enjoyment out of doing it. The way Bungie said they were starting fresh with new characters, and getting rid of the tower, I had expectations that this was getting a big overhaul that would make everything you do feel new, like there is a sense of discovery from the moment you boot it up vs. a sense of instant familiarity. I can't speak for everyone but I don't replay games very often after I've beat them save for some that resonate with me strongly. I've probably replayed Destiny 20 times with how often I've done daily story missions and strikes.

So, I guess my expectation is a compliment to Bungie, because they are a dev that I have confidence can innovate constantly and bring fresh and interesting ideas to the table at the forefront of the industry. I'm not saying this feels like a DLC and not a sequel, but what I wanted is more innovation than what was shown, and I'm not going to sob about it but I was leaning on the hype side because it's Bungie.

I mean these guys brought us VOG at a time when no one fathomed something like that out of a FPS. Is it really asking for too much to want them to reinvent the Strikes and throw in more variety to daily missions to make them feel more engaging, especially on inevitable repeat visits. Maybe avoiding the bullet sponge approach and using team based mechanics that so many raids require?

jviggy43

I mean... yeah? Were people upset when we were still fighting Elites and Grunts in the Halo sequels?

And it's not like there's nothing new. We've already seen that new Cabal lizard enemy thing. I guarantee there are new units for the other races as well.
Drones, brutes, and all the subclasses of brutes were new enemies and introduced in halo 2, for comparison. So no, people weren't complaining about that because the first in game footage of halo 2 showed off an entire new race of enemies From the get go. Also halo 2 had 5 holy shit game changing mechanics in its first reveal video. Where was the game changing addition to mechanics in the video they showed off?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The moment I saw the loading screens with the ships, all the things I disliked about the first Destiny came flooding back. Destiny 2 wasn't the massive jump I expected and all my friends were pretty disdainful of the reveal too.

And no dedicated servers ... so much money made and they still can't invest some of it into some network infrastructure for the improved player experience.

Orca

Taken as a whole, it feels like an expansion - albeit an admittedly LARGE one. The stuff they're changing/adding is stuff they've changed/added in past DLC.

If you took someone that hadn't heard Destiny 2 was coming and showed them the new gameplay footage from strikes, etc there's no way their first impression wouldn't be that it's new DLC.

CLBridges

I'm not understanding why we wouldn't be fighting the same enemy. The cabal played the smallest role in D1. And, now we know they were just preparing an all out assault to straight debo the traveler away from Earth. Looks great to me and yes, it looks like destiny (how this is a negative is beyond me). You could show me Dark Souls 1-3 and I would say, looks like Dark Souls, isn't that the point?

Brohan

I'm not understanding why we wouldn't be fighting the same enemy. The cabal played the smallest role in D1. And, now we know they were just preparing an all out assault to straight debo the traveler away from Earth. Looks great to me and yes, it looks like destiny (how this is a negative is beyond me). You could show me Dark Souls 1-3 and I would say, looks like Dark Souls, isn't that the point?

Every Dark Souls game has their own new set of new enemies which make you wary of them because you don't know what they can do/what their movesets are.

Destiny 2 simply showed the exact same enemies as the first game. Been there done that.

Head.spawn

Just being completely honest, but if I had some how missed the conference and then someone convincingly told me, "Activision decided to delay Destiny 2 until 2018, but they're releasing this new huge expansion along with upgraded graphics for the PS4 Pro/Scorpio AND they're releasing a PC version of it".. then they proceeded to show me footage... yeah, I could totally buy that.

The graphics I've seen to look a bit improved in most aspects, but that is the PS4 Pro/PC version that I've seen, obviously an update from the regular PS4/XBO version I've played. If Bungie said they were going to have an enhanced graphical version of it for PS4 Pro, this would be about what I would expect. If someone showed me 4k footage of Destiny 1, then slipped in Destiny 2 in random spots, I'd be hard pressed to spot it.

The wow/destiny comparisons are stupid no matter who's arguing it. It's like people flip back and forth between destiny is a full mmo, destiny isn't an mmo, or destiny is a hybrid. If it's indeed a hybrid why compare it to the most successful, longest running, content rich mmo out there? Makes no sense.

Most MMOs have massive feature sets that dwarf Destiny. WoW is just the most common to compare to because everyone knows it.

Bold One

Just being completely honest, but if I had some how missed the conference and then someone convincingly told me, "Activision decided to delay Destiny 2 until 2018, but they're releasing this new huge expansion along with upgraded graphics for the PS4 Pro/Scorpio AND they're releasing a PC version of it".. then they proceeded to show me footage... yeah, I could totally buy that.

People keep repeating this soundbite - the truth is you can say this about majority of sequels.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I was a huge Destiny player for two years and I think it looks like a big patch so far. I was expecting all new everything.

Personally, after playing Halo 2 non stop and then jumping into Halo 3, I was completely blown away. The same thing happened with Reach. Now we can argue the quality of the games all day long but everything from the graphics and sounds to the animations and art style was a huge leap, and then of course you had new mechanics, vehicles and enemies behind that to make it feel different.

But let's put that into perspective. Halo 2 to Halo 3 was a console generation, and Halo 3 to Halo Reach was at the beginning of 360 and the middle.

Destiny 1 to Destiny 2 is not unlike the Halo 3 to Reach leap, but the game's visuals were already solid and it doesn't really mandate a shift in tone. With Halo 3 to Reach, the latter told a different story with different protagonists and a different settings, so the shift in art style was warranted.

It's all the other things on the backend that are making Destiny 2 feel similar to the first game, and to a fault. The art style and UI wouldn't even be mentioned if there were new systems and what not on display - at the forefront of their presentation - but I don't think that was really shown yesterday.

Assuming there is more to the game, I think it was a mistake to show how the game is like Destiny 1 instead of how it's not.

Bold One

you could, but not this blatant.

I really don't understand, it is a brand new game using the staples and mechanics that fans enjoy while iterating and expanding its features and modes that have been requested.

Changing what has been kept unchanged would make it a whole new IP as opposed to a new Destiny game - I am starting to get feeling that's what some people really want.

Gator86

Skolas, Psion Flayers and perhaps Bond Brothers.

Those don't break the mold at all. They're still slow moving clunkers with aoe instant-kill melee domes with tons of health and adds. I think the flayers don't have the instant kill dome, but otherwise the same. I guess the shield brothers would be the furthest from the standard, but even they are basically that same exact template.

dengatron

Assuming there is more to the game, I think it was a mistake to show how the game is like Destiny 1 instead of how it's not.

i can agree with this. i think they did more talking about the new gameplay systems than showing them, and the kotaku reasoning with that is probably pretty spot on, but when your big new addition is making the open world more gameplay rich, and you don't show it, then people are probably going to be underwhelmed. i don't get the complaints of "that strike sure does look like a strike" or "lol same enemies", but i definitely wish they'd shown off more of the changes they're making.

I really don't understand, it is a brand new game using the staples and mechanics that fans enjoy while iterating and expanding its features and modes that have been requested.

Changing what has been kept unchanged would make it a whole new IP as opposed to a new Destiny game - I am starting to get feeling that's what some people really want.

Well obviously people who didn't like Destiny 1 want a game that isn't like Destiny 1. And hell, some people who did like the game want to see something else. But Bungie chose to to retain the core audience that kept playing their game, and it remains to be seen how much they tried to pull in the others.

Bungie haven't earned the benefit of the doubt to assume there will be enough content in this release to justify looking at it as a full on sequel, especially in the context of it looking relatively similar from a gameplay perspective. Hopefully it was just a shitty initial reveal and E3 will give me more confidence, but I doubt it.

The Taken King did all of the bolded, and was an expansion. At least The Taken King added a new race (even if it was modified versions of existing races).

I would assume this has a campaign as big as vanilla. Taken King did not. Also 4 new locations vs 1.

The bottom line is if you don't think it's enough for your money, don't buy it. I'm sure I'll play it for at least 1000 hours so I'm good.

Onyar

It's very easy to tell when it's a "dlc" game, when you say it will be X (a number) of new things it's a dlc game.

Zok310

Banned
I think the UI looking extremely similar goes a long way when it comes to giving people that impression, honestly.

i agree, too many D1 assets were kept intact. I thought it was a great reveal and it made me preorder but some of the sounds and animations along with the ui made it look like a TTK2 sorts of DLC, regardless still getting day 1.

Those don't break the mold at all. They're still slow moving clunkers with aoe instant-kill melee domes with tons of health and adds. I think the flayers don't have the instant kill dome, but otherwise the same. I guess the shield brothers would be the furthest from the standard, but even they are basically that same exact template.

So what's the answer?

Fast moving bosses with no adds and low health?

the lack of 60 fps really hurts in terms of feeling "new".. that alone could have gone a long way

As an outsider, just the visual/art style alone doesn't excite me as something *new* that I gotta have. If the original didn't entice me, why would this?

I tuned in to the premier because I was hyped and in the mood for a galactic shooter with an epic scope. The story, characters, and action didn't grab me, unfortunately. There's still time.

jviggy43

Is Halo 2 a different IP than Halo 1? Is Uncharted 2 a different IP than Uncharted 1? And so on and so on. The answer is no, because sequels are meant to evolve the series just as much as refining what was there prior. If they just wanted to revise and update what was already there, and thats the main argument people are using to defend the footage, than that would fall under "expansion" criteria rather than sequel status.

Here's a tip: if you want a sequel to look like a sequel, you really want to show off fighting new enemies with new weapons in a new environment.

This looks fine to me, but I understand why people think it looks kind of samey.

Top Bottom