• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

CaviarMeths
(05-19-2017, 03:53 AM)
So is Persona 5 going to be Atlus's first confirmed million seller worldwide?
theprodigy
(05-19-2017, 03:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Welfare

Seeing as Xbox numbers include digital, even if it couldn't be discussed by NPD for reasons, it would be interesting to know if XPA titles have above average digital splits, and how exclusives for both platforms perform on the digital side.

Edit: Bottom of the page *cries*

but you're quoted on the top of the page now!
thesaucetastic
(05-19-2017, 04:01 AM)
Haven't read the thread, so sorry if this has already been talked about. Ubi said that Wildlands and For Honor were the 1&2 top sellers for 2017 so far in NA, right? Or it might've been globally. So can we assume that BotW has done less than that? So it'd be the 1.27 mil from March + max of I'm guessing 400K (since Mario Kart was 450K physical, 550K with digital I believe). So Wildlands and For Honor have done at least around 1.6 mil?

My numbers might be wrong/I might be off base, but does that seem reasonable?
blakep267
(05-19-2017, 04:02 AM)

Originally Posted by thesaucetastic

Haven't read the thread, so sorry if this has already been talked about. Ubi said that Wildlands and For Honor were the 1&2 top sellers for 2017 so far in NA, right? Or it might've been globally. So can we assume that BotW has done less than that? So it'd be the 1.27 mil from March + max of I'm guessing 400K (since Mario Kart was 450K physical, 550K with digital I believe). So Wildlands and For Honor have done at least around 1.6 mil?

They've sold way more than 1.6 million
Gotdatmoney
(05-19-2017, 04:05 AM)

Probably a safe estimate. They are greater than 1.6 million. How much though we won't really know.
Whompa02
Banned
(05-19-2017, 04:10 AM)
Go go Persona!
Suzushiiro
(05-19-2017, 04:19 AM)

Originally Posted by CaviarMeths

I believe that it was confirmed to have sold ~1.5M copies WW shortly after its NA/EU release. I could be misremembering, though.
NoPiece
(05-19-2017, 04:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Overall Results:

April game sales are up 10% year over year.

Hardware was 37% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were 6% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales (for AAA games from participating publishers) were 57% year over year.

Missing prepositions? Up or down for Hardware, Console and Handheld game sales, and PC software sales?

edit: ok, see the answer in the link:

Hardware: $195 million (up 37 percent from $142 million)
Console software: $304 million (up 6 percent from $287 million)
PC software: $11 million (down 57 percent from $27 million)
goldage
(05-19-2017, 04:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Zedark

Have digital sales numbers been retroactively fitted to Horizon for the year or did they only get April's digital sales numbers?

i doubt adding only april's digital sales would have moved the game past gta, me and re7 in ytd so im guessing its all of this year's digital sales
CaviarMeths
(05-19-2017, 04:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Suzushiiro

I believe that it was confirmed to have sold ~1.5M copies WW shortly after its NA/EU release. I could be misremembering, though.

That's awesome. Glad to see them finally have a hit on this scale after decades of good work.

Do you know if it's their first though? I want to say P4G might have sold 1m, but I'm not sure.
ChasingComets
(05-19-2017, 04:30 AM)

Originally Posted by CaviarMeths

There was no official word, but Golden should have already passed the one million lifetime sales some time back.
atom519
(05-19-2017, 04:33 AM)
Happy to see The Show '17 charting well, game is fantastic they deserve it.
Leona Lewis
(05-19-2017, 04:34 AM)
NieR

friskykillface
(05-19-2017, 04:37 AM)
Black ops 2 back in the top 10
BC is a beast

Persona 5 :D yay
Uno Venova
(05-19-2017, 04:39 AM)
Top 10 software lists make me happy again.
Obliterator
cousin investments
(05-19-2017, 04:40 AM)
That Persona 5 performance is very very impressive
Uno Venova
(05-19-2017, 04:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Trago

Yes Persona5!

Also LOL at BLOPS II charting. People who told me for years that BC doesn't matter:

I'm better they said doesn't matter, as in it won't significantly change the landscape of the console race.
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(05-19-2017, 04:41 AM)
3 JRPG in the top 20 not bad!
AdanVC
(05-19-2017, 04:43 AM)
Holy shit, that is a beautiful top three! <3 My faith in gamers has been restored!

I was expecting the Switch to be #1 again this month but god daaaaamn even the NES Classic charting at #2?? That is insane! A plug and play plastic thingy that it's been hell to get surpassed PS4 and X1 and Mario Kart 8 got #1 spot with just 2 days of tracking sales since the game came on April 28th. Think about that for a second...

Nintendo is BACK, baby! I seriously believe this is Wii-like levels of success with the Switch right now, it's insane. Hope Nintendo fixes those stock issues in order to meet demand because I still need to have one once Splatoon 2 comes out!
Mediking
(05-19-2017, 04:47 AM)
Really happy for Persona and Zelda and Mario Kart!
ThatRandomCliff
(05-19-2017, 05:22 AM)
Is it normal for only the months "winner" to reveal their console numbers? Is Sony and Microsoft not even going to give us some PR?
Zalman
(05-19-2017, 05:24 AM)
I think this is the best top 3 I've ever seen.
The God
(05-19-2017, 05:25 AM)
Beautiful *Yusuke voice*
thesaucetastic
(05-19-2017, 05:38 AM)

Originally Posted by blakep267

They've sold way more than 1.6 million

Well yeah, but I've got no numbers other than the ones I've talked about (and which I might be misremembering cos I didn't actually go back and look them up), so I'm just trying to find a floor. That's why I said "at least". I'm probably shit out of luck trying to find a ceiling, anyway.

Originally Posted by Gotdatmoney

Probably a safe estimate. They are greater than 1.6 million. How much though we won't really know.

Yeah I know, we probably can't be too sure unless we get more relevant numbers. :\ We don't know the order of magnitude of the difference between Wildlands and BotW in March, so even though it did worse this month, it could be at 2 mil for all we know. I haven't looked up specific numbers for For Honor, so maybe that'll help narrow it down, since Wildlands outperformed that.
The Horror the horror
(05-19-2017, 05:46 AM)
Persona 4 Golden being repeatedly hailed as the best game on the Vita, irrespective of the handheld's lack of commercial success, has helped to garner brand awareness to the franchise and I'm glad P5, in addition to its own merits, benefitted from it.
Hellsing321
(05-19-2017, 05:46 AM)
Fuck yeah Persona! And how the fuck did the NES classic get #2? Did Nintendo drop a big shipment before discontinuing it?
John Harker
Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
(05-19-2017, 05:54 AM)

Depends, you including Wii U?
Cause then it's closer to 1.7mm. But that's only if you combine
jjonez18
(05-19-2017, 05:58 AM)
Did Persona 5 have any kind of marketing campaign in North Merica? Or is just based solely off the backs of the Persona faithful spreading the good word of P Studio?
mrmickfran
(05-19-2017, 06:07 AM)
HOLY SHIT PERSONA
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I'M SOO GODDAMN HAPPY FOR HASHINO AND CO RIGHT NOW
Demacabre
(05-19-2017, 06:11 AM)
Persona 5! Those niche games ain't so niche in the states!
Sword Of Doom
(05-19-2017, 06:13 AM)
Wow Persona 5! I bought it and I probably won't have the time to play it for a long time.
cuate
Banned
(05-19-2017, 06:14 AM)
dat top 3

MrCookiepants
(05-19-2017, 06:15 AM)
We'll have to wait until next month to see if Switch is showing any signs of slowing. Mario Kart's ridiculous sales tell me that the active userbase is still very engaged, which is a good indicator that it hasn't lost any momentum.

Nintendo's software strategy is near perfect. The one-two punch of Zelda and MK leading straight into E3, where new games will be announced, then ARMS and Splatoon shortly after to keep up the pace.

How are we expecting Splatoon to do btw? We know big things will happen in Japan, but the first game sold just as well in the west. 500k in July possible?
the_sun_king
(05-19-2017, 06:16 AM)
Persona not that niche anymore.
Regiruler
(05-19-2017, 06:16 AM)
I'm not surprised Puyo didn't chart, the price difference and overall game type screams digital appeal.

But by that token, it's disappointing for anything that charted below it. For the support it got in april, I feel bomberman should have done better.
the_sun_king
(05-19-2017, 06:28 AM)

Originally Posted by jjonez18

Did Persona 5 have any kind of marketing campaign in North Merica? Or is just based solely off the backs of the Persona faithful spreading the good word of P Studio?

It had a marketing campaign that was pretty much online-only. Definitely nowhere near the push it got in its native Japan (they fucking rented out Tokyo Tower for a livestream, got this glorious commercial sans the spotty fan translation, and had hands-on previews across the country before its release in September last year), but its online marketing was okay.

Here's hoping an eventual P6 comes out closer to its Japanese release in all territories. None of this 7 month gap between Japan and NA/EU again, please.
Last edited by the_sun_king; 05-19-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Mory Dunz
(05-19-2017, 06:33 AM)

Originally Posted by John Harker

Depends, you including Wii U?
Cause then it's closer to 1.7mm. But that's only if you combine

thanks for the info

Originally Posted by MrCookiepants

We'll have to wait until next month to see if Switch is showing any signs of slowing. Mario Kart's ridiculous sales tell me that the active userbase is still very engaged, which is a good indicator that it hasn't lost any momentum.

Nintendo's software strategy is near perfect. The one-two punch of Zelda and MK leading straight into E3, where new games will be announced, then ARMS and Splatoon shortly after to keep up the pace.

How are we expecting Splatoon to do btw? We know big things will happen in Japan, but the first game sold just as well in the west. 500k in July possible?

Due to the bigger install base, I think it'll do a good amount better than MK8D's first month, so yeah.
Bronetta
Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
(05-19-2017, 06:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Mory Dunz

Due to the bigger install base, I think it'll do a good amount better than MK8D's first month, so yeah.

I get the feeling Nintendo will break a bunch of records this year with Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey like they did with Zelda and MK8D.
perfectchaos007
Banned
(05-19-2017, 06:39 AM)
I like how the top 10 for Switch only has 9 games. Thats because the Switch only has 9 physical games! lol
meirl
(05-19-2017, 06:40 AM)
Wow at CoD bops II. didnt See that coming. I believed No One uses BC.
Kangi
(05-19-2017, 06:40 AM)

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

I like how the top 10 for Switch only has 9 games. Thats because the Switch only has 9 physical games! lol

I like how they merged the 3DS and Vita lists just to list no Vita games.
perfectchaos007
Banned
(05-19-2017, 06:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Kangi

I like how they merged the 3DS and Vita lists just to list no Vita games.

lmaaaaaao
Theorry
Black Ops 2! Holy shit haha.
OrbitalBeard
I think Splatoon 2 will do very well in NA, but I'm not sure I see it doing 500k in July.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(05-19-2017, 06:44 AM)

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

has-been heroes isn't being counted for some reason.
Jack The Nipper
Can outshoot and shutdown Steph Curry at the local YMCA.
(05-19-2017, 06:51 AM)
Id assume this is the best the show has done so far
JeffZero
Purple Drazi
(05-19-2017, 07:04 AM)
Persona 5, you stud.
noshten
(05-19-2017, 07:13 AM)

Originally Posted by noshten

They shipped 2.7 million in March with over 1/3 going to NA. For me it seems like NA is being prioritized compared to Japan/EU so I'd still expect over 400K in the NPD for Switch.

In terms of sw, top 5 is likely going to be MK8D, Zelda, GTA, HZD and Persona similarly to majority of sw charts in Europe for April. I personally expect that MK8D will be top due to no other major release coming out and Zelda will be in the top 3 because it is going to continue to sell to new Switch owners for a long while. With US being the biggest Switch market this bodes well for Zelda in the upcoming months as it could probably continue to chart due to new Switch owners.
Persona GTA and HZD are the other likely top 5 games with Persona depending on shipments with the best chance to be in the top 3, perhaps with a slight chance of finishing ahead of Zelda in the US.

In any case April is generally pretty weak month for hw/sw - for me the real question is whether MK8D can retain it's top spot next month or will Injustice 2 be able to sell over 500K and topple the enhanced port.

Expected top 3, much lower shipment than expected for Switch in April.
Horizon ending up much more popular in Europe than in the US for some reason.

I'm expecting MK8D, Injustice 2, Minecraft, GTA to be top of the charts during May, can't think of any other major release that month - so if Zelda maintains high attach rate it might also make the top 5.

Microsoft sharing digital numbers for Minecraft as it releases on the Switch is going to give us a much better idea about the size of digital customers on the Switch. It's 20 for April with digital - so if it really sees a big jump it will be all down to the Switch port.

MK8D is guaranteed to reach a million in the US in it's second month - it's just a matter of whether Injustice will be able to beat it. Personally I think in the end MK8D will take May as well unless there is a shortage of new Switch owners.
Welfare
(05-19-2017, 07:19 AM)

Originally Posted by AniHawk

has-been heroes isn't being counted for some reason.

I brought this up in the March thread but no one responded.
Mory Dunz
(05-19-2017, 07:26 AM)

Originally Posted by noshten

Expected top 3, much lower shipment than expected for Switch in April.
Horizon ending up much more popular in Europe than in the US for some reason.

I'm expecting MK8D, Injustice 2, Minecraft, GTA to be top of the charts during May, can't think of any other major release that month - so if Zelda maintains high attach rate it might also make the top 5.

Microsoft sharing digital numbers for Minecraft as it releases on the Switch is going to give us a much better idea about the size of digital customers on the Switch. It's 20 for April with digital - so if it really sees a big jump it will be all down to the Switch port.

MK8D is guaranteed to reach a million in the US in it's second month - it's just a matter of whether Injustice will be able to beat it. Personally I think in the end MK8D will take May as well unless there is a shortage of new Switch owners.

wait what? I figured Injustice would have a huge opening and easily be number 1