• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU Dev Diary

Grakl

Reminds me of a next-gen Realms of the Haunting

roth_office.jpg

That said, you guys have to be kidding me if you think anything in this Dev Diary was direct footage of the game... its Ubisoft guys.

90% of it looks like what we've seen and played - I think only the candle-wax dripping part is suspect.

So besides the obvious still art images, all of that was running in real-time? Wow. Looks like good step up from the current HD systems in terms of all the effects they are running with that amazing lighting/shadows they have.

Instro

But it has been in development for WiiU for 2 years, from Killer Freaks to ZombiU, those guys prob have the most WiiU experience of any 3rd party dev

Although supposedly the staff changed a fair amount from the time it was KF to when it became Zombi U so maybe not.

Well we do have the first Red Steel as an example of "Bullfootage" but all indications point to that footage being from the actual Wii U game........I'll keep my hopes in check though. Thanks.

The magazine scans of Red Steel were clearly Bullshots.

But this is direct feed video. Alot harder to discredit than screenshots.

Calling it Bullfootage is really trying to grasp a nonexistant straw...

red731

:lol dat shufflin on the left

KuGsj.gif
Aww yea!

This game is looking pretty good, but I will wait and see how does it look and for some reviews.
I don't have much interest in WiiU and would likely only get it for this...and Bayonetta 2.

Linconan

This looks insane, but i dont think i could buy the wiiu for one game
Shit i can,lol
Pre-ordering on Friday!

I was interested in Zombie U for awhile, aswell as Aliens Colonial Marines but i thought i'll hold off.
Not now, ah huh.

^ Those pictures look awesome!
Cannot wait!

I don't really see what is worthy of calling bullshots here. This is not my type of game but all the Red Steel talk has me wanting to purchase it just to give it a +1 sale support

I may end up getting it and playing it with GAFFers on my MiiVerse

chatting with OctoG123

Yagharek

Well we do have the first Red Steel as an example of "Bullfootage" but all indications point to that footage being from the actual Wii U game........I'll keep my hopes in check though. Thanks.

Not only that, we also have people who have played hands on with the game at various exhibitions etc. It's nothing like the red steel situation at all.

Now, Zombi U may turn out to be a bad game, but its certainly not a bullfootage situation here as some would like to believe.

Not only that, we also have people who have played hands on with the game at various exhibitions etc. It's nothing like the red steel situation at all.

Now, Zombi U may turn out to be a bad game, but its certainly not a bullfootage situation here as some would like to believe.
You know its a Wii U game. Nothing will count until the game is released even if it looks that good. The old "I dont see anything special" about the game" meme will come back to bite you in the ass.

pringles

And the dumb Red Steel comparisons continue........
Funny how some people think the (quite valid) Dark Souls comparisons are stupid but have no problem with much more far-fetched Red Steel comparisons.

I could understand if this was the same studio, but Ubi Montpellier has a really good track record, and like I mentioned earlier they've already shown with King Kong that they can produce visuals that look like concept art (and that was on lesser hardware than Wii U).

Yagharek

Funny how some people think the (quite valid) Dark Souls comparisons are stupid but have no problem with much more far-fetched Red Steel comparisons.

I could understand if this was the same studio, but Ubi Montpellier has a really good track record, and like I mentioned earlier they've already shown with King Kong that they can produce visuals that look like concept art (and that was on lesser hardware than Wii U).

Softography:

Rayman
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Rayman Arena
Beyond Good & Evil
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Rabbids Go Home
From Dust
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
Rayman Origins
ZombiU
Rayman Legends
Beyond Good & Evil 2

(Ignore the last three given they are not out yet, obviously)

Not a perfect record, but there are at least four landmark games in that list and another three or four highly enjoyable games too. Certainly the kind of studio you give the benefit of the doubt to.

The magazine scans of Red Steel were clearly Bullshots.

But this is direct feed video. Alot harder to discredit than screenshots.

Calling it Bullfootage is really trying to grasp a nonexistant straw...

Every trailer is touched up, and I too am skeptical of the Aliasing being completely absent. Then again, this game isn't really pushing the hardware in the sense of massive scale or anything, so I guess there should be enough resources for AA... asuming the devs went the extra mile. But what we can see from the trailer is that the lightning has been notably refined from the E3 build, the post processing effects are now in place and it just feels like a complete vision, while the E3 build (which I played) really showed a work in progress version.

To me this game is about the gameplay, and what I played already convinced me that this might be exactly the kind of survival horror game that I was looking forward to.
It's very playstyle driven, unlike most modern survival horror games that force you to play a certain way, this game leaves it up to you if you sneak, play a melee character, go for a shooting style, in the end it seems to all come down to how clever you play the game instead of how the designers wanted you to play it.

made another gif, 2nd one ever :eek:
zombiugif2pqbfp.gif

I have another one but its 11mbs abload doesn't like it very much. That and I don't want to slow down the thread.
EDIT: shrunk it a little bit and that solved the problem I'll just link it here though.

Tmdean

Banned
I'm still wondering how they're going to handle the story when the protagonist is constantly changing. It's gotta be tough to have a consistent plot arc when the current lead character may or may not have memories of what happened earlier in the story. I can see ways that they could have made this structure work but I also see cheesy cop-out ways of solving the problem.

- J - D -

I've been sleeping on this game for too long. Shot up my list of likely day-one launch purchases. Thank goodness because that list has been barren for a while now.

I'm really crossing my fingers for this one.

Can you still aim using the gyro?
Seems only for the guns that have a scope. I hope they add an option for that. Worked really well in OOT3D.

So what's the chance that you can use the front facing camera to take a picture of youself at the beginning of the game and the game maps it onto the protagonist so that when you die, you'll eventually come across yourself?
Well they had that zombification thingie at E3 but I doubt it's for the protagonist since we haven't seen it for any. Maybe it's for random zombies that populate the sceneries.

The lighting and particle effects in this title are stunning in spots. The rain effect and cast shadows in that last .gif are super nice.

Mdk7

I'm almost sold after this video.
This is the one and only game that could make me buy a Wii U at launch.

Antagon

This game looks light years ahead of other wii u games graphically

Personally, I think Wonderful 101 is up there as well. The backgrounds in that game are outstanding.

This looks really interesting, though I'm not much of a horror fan, so not sure if I'll get it.
Love all the environment detail though, the environments look very 'alive'.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
great video, can't wait for this game...absolutely day 1, and I think I'll like it way more than RE6 after all..

EVIL

120605_10am_ZU_E3_Screenshot_BricklaneDay_NOLOGO.jpg

not a bullshot as far as I can see. everything within this is easily doable prebaked lighting, fog, some port processing effects.

http://scr3.golem.de/screenshots/1209/ZombieU/120605_10am_ZU_E3_Screenshot_BricklaneDay_NOLOGO.jpg
not a bullshot as far as I can see. everything within this is easily doable prebaked lighting, fog, some port processing effects.[/QUOTE]

there is a serious lack of jaggies though.

None of the zombi u media shows any jaggies. The Wii U is a more powerful system then the HD twins, so running at 720p with a good amount of AA at 30 fps is not unrealistic.

it's not unrealistic. but there was no AA at E3, and i can see jaggies in some of the vids.

nikatapi

it's not unrealistic. but there was no AA at E3, and i can see jaggies in some of the vids.

I think it was told that the e3 builds of many games were not the latest ones at the time and there was severe improvement in some games with the update of developer tools?
If i'm not mistaken IdeaMan said something like that, and that there were framerate improvements and AA added to games after e3.

I think it was told that the e3 builds of many games were not the latest ones at the time and there was severe improvement in some games with the update of developer tools?
If i'm not mistaken IdeaMan said something like that, and that there were framerate improvements and AA added to games after e3.

Yep, he did say that. And i'm the first person who would welcome a jaggyless game. Still, that screen.. it's hard to believe it will be THAT clean.
In fact... i'm almost certain that it won't.

Top Bottom