• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR coming to HTC Vive in 2018

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
https://youtu.be/KsJpvdT_ZTI

At 2:44

Kind of an open secret, but this time we get a better idea of the timeframe of when the HTC Vive version will be released

Hopefully the exclusivity clause with PSVR is just several months and not a year like RE7

These $60 releases are a fucking joke. Also, if the game was updated to support higher frame rates without breaking physics (as it does in Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE when you go above 60), I hope they patch the base game.

Err, Vive controllers don'tt have analog sticks, does that mean it'd be point to teleport? I honestly can't imagine how miserable it would be to try and play a game like Skyrim without full control of your movement.

"Err, Vive controllers don'tt have analog sticks, does that mean it'd be point to teleport? I honestly can't imagine how miserable it would be to try and play a game like Skyrim without full control of your movement."

Trackpads function identically to analog sticks in that regard.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Err, Vive controllers don'tt have analog sticks, does that mean it'd be point to teleport? I honestly can't imagine how miserable it would be to try and play a game like Skyrim without full control of your movement.

It has a track pad. Nearly every VR games use it for walking movement.

Steel

Banned

The vive controllers trackpads work for that.

That aside I hope this works with the rift. They'd have to go pretty far outta their way for it not to, right?

Izuna

Banned
Would have preferred Oblivion

But these full RPGs are not good for VR man. No one has the endurance for that.

"But these full RPGs are not good for VR man. No one has the endurance for that."

Setting aside how silly this claim is (why would endurance be a factor?), I can't help but wonder if you're aware of a handy tool developed in the past couple of decades called the "save file."

Izuna

Banned
"But these full RPGs are not good for VR man. No one has the endurance for that."

Setting aside how silly this claim is (why would endurance be a factor?), I can't help but wonder if you're aware of a handy tool developed in the past couple of decades called the "save file."

Personally, VR limits my game sessions to 30-60 minutes based on how active it is. In this possibly 100s hours game, the VR benefit will just wear off and take an enormous amount of real time to finish its content.

There are set-pieces, story scenes or whatever that take longer than 30 minutes.

I do have a question though. Can the save be used with the main 2D game too?

Durante

I can't say I mind the delay.
I think playing a Bethesda RPG in VR is a massive project which will literally take months, and I don't think I want to play 2 of them one right after the other.

And of course, I've actually already put a whole lot of hours into Skyrim, while I haven't played Fallout 4 at all, so that works nicely.

Honestly, I imagine teleport to be much less "miserable" in a large-scale open world game like this than sliding.

I've actually tried both, for a substantial amount of time each, in The Solus Project, which is probably one of the largest - in terms of world size - VR games currently available. And I prefer teleport.

"Teleport" doesn't need to mean point-to-teleport, it can also mean directional blink teleport and many other variations.

AtlAntA

These $60 releases are a fucking joke. Also, if the game was updated to support higher frame rates without breaking physics (as it does in Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE when you go above 60), I hope they patch the base game.

This. The 60 fps limit (without breaking physics) stopped me from replaying the remastered version. I'm assuming a vr version needs higher then 60 fps to work good so let's hope they fixed it.

"Personally, VR limits my game sessions to 30-60 minutes based on how active it is. In this possibly 100s hours game, the VR benefit will just wear off and take an enormous amount of real time to finish its content."

Are you just playing the game to "finish the content" or are you playing the game to...play it in VR? Playing it to completion is a large time commitment either way, if it's not an intriguing enough VR experience to make players want to experience the whole game in VR then it's a poor show on Bethesda's end.

SomTervo

Genuinely your face does start to hurt after a while.

But:
A) that depends on your HMD. It's easier to last longer in PSVR and Oculus which are more comfortable than the Vive
B) it will become less and less of an issue across the board moving forward as headsets get lighter and more comfy
C) by 'after a while' I can mean anything from 1 hour to 4 hours. MMV

I, for one, welcome our VR Bethesda Softworks overlords.

120v

skyrim with vorpx has been one my favorite VR experiences, even with the crappy UI workarounds and everything. prospect of throwing another $60 at skyrim in 2018 looks ridiculous on paper but optimized VR for PC should be some hot shit. it'll be another half decade or so until that kind of VR experience is the norm

Steel

Banned
Genuinely your face does start to hurt after a while.

But:
A) that depends on your HMD. It's easier to last longer in PSVR and Oculus which are more comfortable than the Vive
B) it will become less and less of an issue across the board moving forward as headsets get lighter and more comfy
C) by 'after a while' I can mean anything from 1 hour to 4 hours. MMV

I, for one, welcome our VR Bethesda Softworks overlords.

The Oculus is reasonably comfortable, but once you start to sweat you gotta clean off the lenses repeatedly. I've gone hours in VR with some intensive motion games, but that headset gets muggy as fuck. Not sure how Skyrim would rank against Superhot endless mode dodging bullets or audioshield.

skyrim with vorpx has been one my favorite VR experiences, even with the crappy UI workarounds and everything. prospect of throwing another $60 at skyrim in 2018 looks ridiculous on paper but optimized VR for PC should be some hot shit. it'll be another half decade or so until that kind of VR experience is the norm

Oh yeah. While not ideal Skyrim vorpx has already gotten tens of hours out of me.

SomTervo

That's the thing. Seeing these worlds in VR pretty much makes them completely new. Places that are familiar to you on-screen will suddenly be given (literally) a new dimension.

That's not even counting how the gameplay can be improved in even the most mundane ways.

The price is absolutely worth it IMO.

Durante

I have to say, of all the sources of exhaustion (and sometimes mild discomfort) I've experienced after 3 hour + VR sessions, my face hurting was never ever one of them.

Hmmm, I have done plenty of marathon sessions in VR. I am talking about 5-8 hours per session. These were games with full locomotion, smooth turning, and all comfort settings disabled too... I am sure that I am not the only one when it comes to this.

Bring on more full open world RPGs like Skyrim. I say!

Yeah, congrats to Vive owners. ;)

I was fully expecting for Skyrim to come to Vive at some point, but it is nice to hear official confirmation. We need all sales that these games can get at this stage. Locking it down to PSVR never made much sense to me. It is pretty savvy on Bethesda part too. They will release Skyrim for PSVR and Fallout 4 for Vive this fall, and next year, it will be Skyrim for Vive and hopefully Fallout 4 for PSVR. This way, they do not cannibalize their sales and have time to make each game shine on each platform.

Steel

Banned
Yeah, congrats to Vive owners. ;)

I was fully expecting for Skyrim to come to Vive at some point, but it is nice to hear official confirmation. We need all sales that these games can get at this stage. Locking it down to PSVR never made much sense to me. It is pretty savvy on Bethesda part too. They will release Skyrim for PSVR and Fallout 4 for Vive this fall, and next year, it will be Skyrim for Vive and hopefully Fallout 4 for PSVR. This way, they do not cannibalize their sales and have time to make each game shine on each platform.

No, you won't see Fallout 4 on PSVR. Skyrim had room to scale back to get 60 fps on PS4, fallout 4... Already medium-low settings below 30.

inner-G

Banned
"Err, Vive controllers don'tt have analog sticks, does that mean it'd be point to teleport? I honestly can't imagine how miserable it would be to try and play a game like Skyrim without full control of your movement."

Trackpads function identically to analog sticks in that regard.
Just think of it as an evolution of fast travel

No, you won't see Fallout 4 on PSVR. Skyrim had room to scale back to get 60 fps on PS4, fallout 4... Already medium-low settings below 30.

Plenty of people wrote that Skyrim was not possible on PSVR, but here we are. From reading previews of Skyrim on PSVR, it appears that it falls somewhere between the last gen version and special edition version when it comes to visuals. Both Skyrim and Fallout 4 use the same engine, so it might be possible to scale it down enough to make it run. Considering PSVR has the largest install base out of 3 tethered headsets, I suspect that Bethesda is at least exploring the possibility of bringing Fallout 4 to PSVR and would try everything that they can to make it run.

Bottom line, no one knows if Fallout 4 is possible on PSVR until Bethesda clarifies. It might come, or it might not. Only time will tell.

SomTervo

I have to say, of all the sources of exhaustion (and sometimes mild discomfort) I've experienced after 3 hour + VR sessions, my face hurting was never ever one of them.

Really? Maybe it's just how my Vive straps are adjusted. I often have 'VR-face', the red marks around my cheekbones and forehead... Too tight?

Steel

Banned
Plenty of people wrote that Skyrim was not possible on PSVR, but here we are. From reading previews of Skyrim on PSVR, it appears that it falls somewhere between the last gen version and special edition version when it comes to visuals. Both Skyrim and Fallout 4 use the same engine, so it might be possible to scale it down enough to make it run. Considering PSVR has the largest install base out of 3 tethered headsets, I suspect that Bethesda is at least exploring the possibility of bringing Fallout 4 to PSVR and would try everything that they can to make it run.

Bottom line, no one knows if Fallout 4 is possible on PSVR until Bethesda clarifies. It might come, or it might not. Only time will tell.

Who wrote that Skyrim wasn't possible on PSVR? It's a last gen game, they're not using the SE edition, it can easily hit the 60 fps minimum for it. There's not much more to be taken out of Fallout 4, on the other hand.

Really? Maybe it's just how my Vive straps are adjusted. I often have 'VR-face', the red marks around my cheekbones and forehead... Too tight?
Different headsets have different ways of adjusting the weight and better padding can help.

PSVR is not even strapped to your face, so there is that as well.

I'll agree with this. I've had 12 hours of almost continuous Elite Dangerous sessions, but in games with motion controllers where I can't sit on my ass in a chair I don't think I've ever had a session past 2 hours.

I concede that the Vive could be more comfortable to wear, but once I found the optimal strap position it isn't really that big of an issue to wear for long stretches of time.

I do. I can easily go all day in VR without realising. The comfort of the headsets are a luxury compared to most helmets and sporting goggles. But no one is asking anyone to play the game in one sitting. I played the majority of Nioh in bursts of less than an hour and that is a long game and didn't ruin my enjoyment.

Durante

Probably.

That said, I generally have far less issues with the standard Vive mounting mechanism than most people.

Who wrote that Skyrim wasn't possible on PSVR? It's a last gen game, they're not using the SE edition, it can easily hit the 60 fps minimum for it. There's not much more to be taken out of Fallout 4, on the other hand.

I read plenty of times on PSVR subreddit that Skyrim was not possible on PSVR. I am fairly certain that I read it on Neogaf as well. My understanding is that Gamebryo engine has been around since Morrowind if not earlier, so I suspect that it can be paired down quite significantly.

Samaritan

I wonder how thorough a translation to VR this will be. I remember when people modded Skyrim to be playable in VR, the most common comment I saw was that the scale of everything was really off, that everything seemed too small or too close, like an amusement park. If that's still the case, I don't see this being immersive like some people are hoping it to be.

Renekton

I read plenty of times on PSVR subreddit that Skyrim was not possible on PSVR. I am fairly certain that I read it on Neogaf as well. My understanding is that Gamebryo engine has been around since Morrowind if not earlier, so I suspect that it can be paired down quite significantly.
Shouldn't be an issue with a beefier CPU hmm

I'll agree with this. I've had 12 hours of almost continuous Elite Dangerous sessions, but in games with motion controllers where I can't sit on my ass in a chair I don't think I've ever had a session past 2 hours.

I concede that the Vive could be more comfortable to wear, but once I found the optimal strap position it isn't really that big of an issue to wear for long stretches of time.

This, if it is a sitting game, I can play for hours with little issues. For standing games or games with a lot of motion, it is probably 3-4 hours max for me.

Izuna

Banned
My exhaustion isn't just HMD pain, I guess I'm just not able to do extremely long sessions anymore. Perhaps if I play a game that's built for it. I can spend the most time in something like Bigscreen

or I am a fat cunt

Top Bottom