• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

did Nintendo address pretty much every complaint/expectation in Nintendo Direct?

Foffy

Banned
I was getting the system eventually for Rayman, Monster Hunter, and Pikmin. I want it now.

If a new Mario is out this fall...damn...damn son.

Yes they did.
1VWTK12.gif

This is amazing.

Nintendo definitely showed off enough to prove that they are still in the fight unlike some people believe.

olimpia84

That Monolith trailer by itself made this the most exciting Nintendo Direct in history.
Everything else was just an added bonus.

Sullichin

So who didn't plan to buy WiiU in the next 2 years and now is going to buy it faster?

I do.

Not really, I'd pick up Wind Waker HD when/if I get a Wii U but it's not something I would buy a system for. I fully expected Mario Kart/Smash Bros to be come out for the system, these are the most unsurprising announcements ever. I'm sure they will be good or great games for those that like them, but I just can't give a shit about a new Mario Kart at this point. If I see an amazing looking Metroid game, a great looking new IP, or the new Mario or Zelda blows me away when I see it, then I'd consider getting one

zoukka

Eh... HD remakes and more Mario addresses Wii U's problems? Besides Wind Waker specifically none of this is really a surprise.

"X" was a surprise. Also Wind Waker remake looks to be far beyond the HD collections we've seen last gen. All new assets and tweaking of the gameplay ;__;

PerZona

These titles are definitely 2014 releases, they need some titles to hold off PS4 and the new Xbox I guess.

Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 and Xenoblade 2 thingy are looking really good, might actually buy a Wii U soon!

1-D_FTW

Na, it goes a bit beyond Epic Yarn from the looks

Maybe. But it's certainly not going to be confused for an HD Yoshi's Island 2.

"X" was a surprise. Also Wind Waker remake looks to be far beyond the HD collections we've seen last gen. All new assets and tweaking of the gameplay ;__;

And unlike most of those games, I'm sure we can expect full MSRP on it.

C.T.

Damn just came back from the gym. I'm afraid this is all a scam by the internet in luring me to believe Nintendo actually delievered. Megaten vs Fire Emblem? Holy S...
Someone tell me if it's all true... TELL ME!!!

DaBoss

Sure it's disappointing that the games won't come for a while, but they announced games that are far from coming which gives future outlook for first-party really good. The fact they announced these titles and broke their silence says that they know people want to see games that will come out before buying a console.

Epic Yarn visuals doesn't mean Epic Yarn difficulty.

3rd party Nintendo Direct has to deliver. It's the biggest concern I still have.

Wasn't this the Wii U Nintendo Direct, with a 3DS Nintendo Direct to follow? I think this one included 3rd party games.

IMO, it did enough. Its kind of establishing itself as a Wii U successor, which is nice.

New iterations of 1st tier Nintendo titles from the Wii and whatnot.

I did expect more because adding that to the sparse Wii U lineup just makes the Wii U lineup look a little less empty, but whatever.

teiresias

So the exciting stuff is ports? Sounds like Vita to me.

Zelda released are already repetitive enough and unless they're going to fix the tail end of Wind Waker I'm not at all interested in playing it again - at least not enough to buy a Wii-U to do it rather than play my GC copy on Dolphin.

orioto

Good Art™
This was definitely something they needed but it also felt like admitting their problems.

There was a time where console makers didn't have to talk about projects that early. They have to do that cause there is nothing else. To think they have to basically tell us when a game development is starting, like they did with smash bros, or go shot some footage of a team working on something for Bayonetta...

This felt way too much like a "wait wait we aren't ready at All for all that but pleeeeeaaaase, wait, pleeease. Look, people are working right now on something there, don't go! We have cookies!"

Fortunately they had a trailer of Xenothing. And it looks badass.

KAL2006

Banned
I missed the conderence

Are there any killer apps for Q1-3 announced also is the account system sorted and do VCR purchases transfer over to WiiU for off tv play.

Taurus

And people were questioning me when I said Nintendo hasn't been just sitting on their asses when discussing about Wii U games drought. The fucking games are coming. See? SEE?!

jmls1121

Banned
That it did...

I just don't get how people can be excited for another mario kart and smash bros. Also another yoshi game but in the epic yarn format which means it'll be even more braindead than YI64 was.

Interesting that you conveniently left out the new Monolith game, which looks amazing, and the Fire Emblem crossover.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How long did it take? People complain that Nintendo only announces games in a short window, then they announce games that won't arrive for some time and people still complain.

People want a steady stream of high quality titles from a variety of genres and sources. Companies that don't have enough in the pipeline generate anxiety about their medium/long-term plans. Companies that announce too far in advance generate frustration with existing droughts.

You would be surprised what some others have posted.

I'm sure they did, many people are chicken littles, but in terms of actual serious, ongoing complaints, first party titles were never one of them.

I think some actual ongoing, structural questions are:

Software
- Will Nintendo produce software to appeal to <group x>? This would include releases in genres <xyz>, existing IPs <a> <b> <c>, and new IPs?
- Will Nintendo avoid droughts by having a constant pipeline of releases?
- Will third parties produce high quality ports or original content?
- When the new consoles come out, what will happen to Wii U?
- With certain "casual" genres having been partially or totally subsumed by mobile/social gaming--and we're seeing this with the weaker reception of Brain Training, Nintendogs, etc and a general collapse of the casual/low-end titles, including collapse of movie games, fewer licensed children games, what effect will this have on attach rates and general ecosystem health?

Hardware
- Is the Wii U a well-designed piece of hardware, or will certain bottlenecks hamper software through its lifetime? Is it future-proof?

OS/Service Model
- Will Nintendo achieve best-of-breed or competitive service/OS features? This would include matchmaking, leaderboards, voice chat, friend interaction and chatting, demos, one-button purchase conversion, screenshot/video content, awareness of new and upcoming content, different purchase models (DLC, season pass, freemium models), ad-supported gaming,
- Will Nintendo attract digital content and present it in a consumer-friendly way? Why should I buy on Wii U instead of <other platforms>

Company
- As mobile/social exert significant downward price pressure on software, will Nintendo's margins decline? What will Nintendo be able to do to counter this?
- As a VERY Japanese company in a world where Japan is increasingly less relevant, is Nintendo missing certain connections or perspectives necessary to compete in a global marketplace? What are the effects of certain policies like pursuing 3rd party relations in Japan over US, having decision-making in JPN rather than US, apparent lack of interface with major middleware/engine providers, region locks, localization of first/thid party software?
- Does Nintendo understand how to leverage social media/mobile to promote their content?

I don't think "Is Nintendo going to keep releasing games?" or even "Is Nintendo going to keep releasing good, popular games?" were ever serious questions.

anddo0

Hardly. We expect the Nintendo franchise stuff.
Bayonetta 2 and X-Blade (only game to blow me away) are titles to be excited for.

So the exciting stuff is ports? Sounds like Vita to me.

Zelda is already repetitive enough and unless they're going to fix the tail end of Wind Waker I'm not at all interested in playing it again.
WHAT.

Only one of the gargantuan megatons is a port, and it's a port with gameplay/graphic tweaks. More of a remake.

Celegus

My interest in Wii U has gone from very small to "Okay I definitely need to get one someday". Most likely whenever a new Metroid comes out, but there seems to be a ton of good games coming. Good job Nintendo!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Let's be honest here:

What is coming, are great games, but everything is first party.
Who really doubted that good first party games are coming?
The only suprise is FExSMT.

Still no third party stuff, no dates just announcements.

I still won't get a Wii U in the near future, but at least 2014 should be great year for Wii U. I have my doubts most of the stuff will release this year.

I missed the conderence

Are there any killer apps for Q1-3 announced also is the account system sorted and do VCR purchases transfer over to WiiU for off tv play.

Software update and Virtual console in Spring, new software including Pikmin and Wonderful 101 in Summer. More info on Holiday/2014 titles at E3

Bgamer90

Banned
Let's be honest here:

I still won't get a Wii U in the near future, but at least 2014 should be great year for Wii U. I have my doubts most of the stuff will release this year.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.

Don't get the "Nintendo is back!!!" reactions at all.

If anything, this showed that most should probably wait until 2014 to get a Wii U.

Westlo

This is amazing.

Nintendo definitely showed off enough to prove that they are still in the fight unlike some people believe.

What did they show that was unexpected apart from confirming HD ports and SMTxFE? I mean we all knew this stuff was coming before this direct, I guess the Monolith game is coming a lot quicker then we expected, but to balance that out it looks like the new Zelda game is also a long way off.

Without a Wii Sports type game to sell the system to the masses the Wii U is in the same spot as the Gamecube (nintendo first party was awesome for gamecube, a lot of good it did it in the end in regards to sales) if 3rd party ignores it for exclusives... worse because it doesn't even have a series on the level of Resident Evil. (MH is beyond that in Japan, but worldwide, no fucking way, besides MH4 is the real big gun and that's for 3DS).

MarkusRJR

- No Earthbound on the VC even though Mother 2 coming to Japan.

- VC still terrible in general as the system is not tied to a universal Nintendo account.

Definitely not. A step in the right direction? Absolutely. But everything is still too far away. They’re also still screwed when it comes to third party support.

I honestly don't get the overwhelmingly good response.

If Mario Kart and 3D Mario aren't ready in time, then the only major game the Wii U will have is Zelda Wind Waker HD. It's funny seeing so many get so excited for it when I remember all of the hate the original game got 10 years ago due to its art style.

So I guess people are just excited due to the announcements of the games discussed since it seems like the Wii U won't get the ball rolling until 2014.
These are pretty much my thoughts. Wii U is going to be having a rough time until either Q4 2013 or even 2014 given how far away the games are. I only have MH3U, Pikmin 3 (not even a huge fan of the series but there's nothing else to play), and Wind Waker HD (a game I've already played) to play the entire year on Wii U. Unless they announce some Q3/Q4 games this is going to be a long year.

It's nice that awesome games are being announced now but this should have happened in E3 2011/2012. I was expecting games that'd be coming out in the summer during this ND, going by how Nintendo has been announcing games this new gen, not 2014.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.

Don't get the "Nintendo is back!!!" reactions at all.

If anything, this showed that most should probably wait until 2014 to get a Wii U.
Your level of potential freakout is probably directly tied to your affinity for Megaten or Xenoblade. If you fall in the center of that venn diagram, then HOLY SHUT.

No, they announced the Wii U Zelda, saying it's openworld, implying some sort of co-op, but said that it'd take a long time, and that we'd have Wind Waker in the interim

so a HD remake and a new one. fair enough thats a bit better. For a minute I thought they were just passing off a HD remake as "look its zelda".

Still it apart from the Monolith announcement is anything here stuff you didnt think was coming as, well, its Nintendo and they always release there franchises.

Into

So. Is Retro Studios dead?

Not dead =P, i am sure they are saving their announcement for later. Hopefully it is Metroid, Starfox or Startropics related.

The questions Stumpokapow wrote are absolutely dead on, and many of those questions can only be answered years down the line.

moozoom

HD Wind Waker, Atlus Fire Emblem crossover, and New monolith game are incredible news, but the honesty concerning the WiiU problems is maybe the most incredible thing in the direct. Neither Microsoft or Sony were/are/will be able to speak like that after failing their customers.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
:)

can i ask you what company does this? like announce new games, several of them in fact in a month where nobody expects any new announcements would be made.

i can tell you that i've read so much pessimism in the direct thread hours before it started saying that nintendo will not deliver or will just discuss existing games because they suck. kinda like that. that's they're complaint, the games. and maybe you watched that direct too and we can agree that there were new games, which is what people were expecting.
I'm just wondering what the Vita had to do with any of this.
I liked the ND.

Derrick01

Banned
Interesting that you conveniently left out the new Monolith game, which looks amazing, and the Fire Emblem crossover.

I didn't leave that out I mentioned it in my first comment. I said other than the Monolith game it was all more mario, zelda, smash etc etc.

And people were questioning me when I said Nintendo hasn't been just sitting on their asses when discussing about Wii U games drought. The fucking games are coming. See? SEE?!

Stump already addressed this better than I can, but I don't think this is a sincere assessment of the situation. I don't think anyone thought that Nintendo had half their development teams on furlough while the other half were on reserve to help count the New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land money that was sure to roll in. The questions were simply "what in particular is in development" and more importantly "when will these titles be ready?" that were mainly relevant in light of the current pipeline's dubious quality.

antonz

Let's be honest here:

Iwata did specifically say at the end that a 3rd Party focused Wii U Nintendo Direct is coming as well as a 3DS focused Nintendo Direct.

Thats the benefit of this format for Nintendo now. They can release these whenever. We just have to wait for the unexpected oh yeah tomorrow watch this message

Sandfox

Nintendo obviously still has more down the pipeline so E3 will definitely be interesting in that regard

so a HD remake and a new one. fair enough thats a bit better. For a minute I thought they were just passing off a HD remake as "look its zelda".

Still it apart from the Monolith announcement is anything here stuff you didnt think was coming as, well, its Nintendo and they always release there franchises.

Yoshi hasn't had a game since the 90s and the SMTxFE crossover came out of nowhere

Mileena

Banned
Not at all, their lineup for this year still sucks shit unless 3D Mario is a holiday title. The worst 3D Zelda in HD and Yoshi's Epic Yawn do nothing for me.

Effect

Yes they did. I just wanted to know what was coming. Even if the wait was going to be long. I wanted to have something to look forward to and did they ever deliver. If this is what can be expected from Nintendo itself, the wide range of games and styles, I'm comfortable with not getting a PS4/720. I'm okay with some third parties (there will be those that support it and will happily support them when I'm interested in their games) not supporting the system. Like I said before I'm okay with the Wii U just being a Nintendo game machine and I'm exponentially okay with that now.

The line up this year is questionable but I still have launch games to finish. There is still Rayman Legends and Monster Hunter coming which will keep me busy until the summer and fall. I'm content at the moment.

Monolith Soft's game is my most anticipated game now. I love Xenoblade. I enjoy Monster Hunter. This looks like a merging of the two. Maybe even a little bit of White Knight Chronicles thrown in. I want to dig out my copy of Wind Waker and replay it so I can compare the original with the version that is to com.

JoeM86

Let's be honest here:

This Nintendo Direct was always going to be first party. Iwata said so at the announcement on Twitter. A third party Wii U Direct will come soon

Top Bottom