• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) new trailer from TGS

I made a quick-and-dirty attempt to match the original asthetic.

t87aGsA.png

You need to make it foggier and give it a slightly bluer tint. This just looks brighter to me.

UrbanRats

A couple of effects need tuning (add more fog for one) and Wanda still looks like ass, but in general, i think the remake looks much better, even in terms of art direction, there were a lot of things of the original i didn't like (that ugly purple sky, those washed out highlights, etc).

Besides, for the people talking about Silent Hill HD collection: This is not a remaster, this is a remake.
It's supposed to look different.

You wouldn't comb through REmake complaining how the colors aren't a 1:1 match with Resident Evil on ps1, no?
There already is an HD remaster, for preservation purposes, it's on PS3.

On the other hand, Silent Hill never got a remaster, there is no viable way to play those games on a modern system (and the PC versions, aside from needing extended modding, aren't even available digitally), the HD collection isn't a remake, it was supposed to be a remaster, which is why the changes were all the more fucked up.

That said, anyone is free to obsess over every changed pixel, and if you don't like the style changes, that's your prerogative, for sure.

Based on IGN's comparison, im disappointed that most of the atmosphere is gone. Yeah, I know that the fog and color scheme had to do with technical limits from back in the day but I am sure they also were added for artistic purposes. The remake took out all that and more. Thats like repainting the mona lisa because the paper, paints and paint brushes today are higher quality and allow greater color accuracy than the ones da vinci used.

:) ...

yeah, imo, there's something just too 'hard'/cold about the redone graphics. the overall softness/warmth of the original's really add to the dreaminess of the whole experience...

A-V-B

A couple of effects need tuning (add more fog for one) and Wanda still looks like ass, but in general, i think the remake looks much better, even in terms of art direction, there were a lot of things of the original i didn't like (that ugly purple sky, those washed out highlights, etc).

I guess this is like that guy who composed this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbbtmskCRUY

when he saw this

c2604d3f2b7b16a3c9203040b834f85d.jpg

which was a copy of this

1200px-Arnold_B%C3%B6cklin_-_Die_Toteninsel_I_%28Basel%2C_Kunstmuseum%29.jpg

and said if he saw the original, he never would've composed the music.

Wamb0wneD

I really hate the lighting in the top screen.

Cool. That's how the game is supposed to look though. There is no actual lighting, it's just blook and a specific color palette. They could've still improved the lighting without making everything grey, dark and samey. There is no silhouette in the bottom picture and the pale look is gone completely. They screwed up Ueda's artstyle.

lol ok I'm out of here. We'll revisit this concern trolling when the game releases.

I can't believe some human actually said this

Lol, wtf.

this thread has hit critical mass

some of ya'll are fuckin' ridiculous

I mean that poster is not wrong in the sense that by removing every bit of fog and bloom they took away a lot of the atmosphere. Obviously it's not as bad as the missing fog in Silent Hill but it goes in the same direction.

If my eyes rolled any harder at some of the posts in this thread they'd fall out the back of my head. I loved the atmosphere and art direction of the original but this looks just as amazing.

gfxtwin

Yeah awesome!
I also made something quick and dirty based on your image ;P
AhbCKDw.png

Ok, let's not get unreasonable, that's some Gears of War/Haze level of bloom abuse right there lol. I'll take the remake as is instead of that, no offense :p

The one thing I prefer in the original is how bright the canyon walls and stuff always were

It looks like a version of that effect is still in the game:

Honestly, I'm gonna wait to see some decent chunks of gameplay before critiquing the remake too much. Bluepoint have definitely come much further in bringing a PS2 Ueda game to current gen than I expected from a team that isn't lead by him. There are more things I like about the remake than dislike, but we wont know how faithful it is to the original style until we see like a 10 minute chunk of gameplay or something.

Keym

I mean that poster is not wrong in the sense that by removing every bit of fog and bloom they took away a lot of the atmosphere. Obviously it's not as bad as the missing fog in Silent Hill but it goes in the same direction.

Haha, this is what I meant, SH HD's missing fog immediately came to mind.

gfxtwin

Just noticed they haven't yet fixed their wack cloth physics.

1Bquklk.gif

vJ0OFRP.gif

Better than before I guess.

6YPrnDX.gif

The poncho in the remake animates more like heavy cloth would, but might look better if stylized a bit to look more expressive. This is something I hope Bluepoint are taking to heart - expression instead of making everything look more naturalistic. SOTC is in many ways the video game equivalent of an expressionist painting. They should keep in mind that while the game is pretty good at depicting nature in a naturalistic way, it is also stylized to be more emotive. They might need to make some art direction tweaks that "don't make sense" in order to translate Uedas visual style to current gen more accurately.

A-V-B

The poncho in the remake animates more like heavy cloth would, but might look better if stylized a bit to look more expressive. This is something I hope Bluepoint are taking to heart - expression instead of making everything look more naturalistic. SOTC is in many ways the video game equivalent of an expressionist painting. They should keep in mind that while the game is pretty good at depicting nature in a naturalistic way, it is also stylized to be more emotive. They might need to make some art direction tweaks that "don't make sense" in order to translate Uedas visual style to current gen more accurately.

And it's not like it would be hard to figure out the look. There's literally a current generation Ueda game!

What more is it's not a tech limitation, but his art style. Just look at his paintings.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Expression is all well and good but what makes Ueda games so good IS the naturalism seen in the animation The paper looking cloth physics seemed more like a tech issue rather than an art choice. Kinda like how they couldn't have proper physics on the fur of the colossi like they can now.

Side note:That new run cycle also looks a thousand times better than it did before as that was the jankiest part of SOTC core animation. Idk, i'm not getting the complaints. When you increase the fidelity of a game it's incredibly unlikely that the aesthetic will be a 1:1 translation of the original. Especially as you do stuff like actually filling in details that they couldn't fit in before, like higher poly models. It seems that in terms of art direction they made a lot of enhancements to make the game look more cinematic. Which makes sense considering Ueda's love for film.

If my eyes rolled any harder at some of the posts in this thread they'd fall out the back of my head. I loved the atmosphere and art direction of the original but this looks just as amazing.
seriously the ownership of someone else's art is just mind boggling to me. Both look great, like wtf??

Meh different strokes and whatever.

I think it looks great. Preferred the colours in the E3 version but the atmosphere in both versions is brilliant. I hope bluepoint ignore all threads like these and just make their vision of the game as you are never going to appease everyone no matter what you do.

Surfside

Banned
This looks really nice. I only hope they fix the camera issues, though those ditn't stop it from becoming one of my favorites. So it would not be a dealbreaker to me, if they didn't. But it would be nice.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No idea how someone could look at this:
GiftedFlawedHalibut.gif

and think "Man the original looks so much better."
To be fair, that's from the E3 trailer, which IMO looked better than what they've shown now. Agreed with your comment about his run cycle. It's so much better in this remake.

jett

D-Member
Expression is all well and good but what makes Ueda games so good IS the naturalism seen in the animation The paper looking cloth physics seemed more like a tech issue rather than an art choice. Kinda like how they couldn't have proper physics on the fur of the colossi like they can now.

Side note:That new run cycle also looks a thousand times better than it did before as that was the jankiest part of SOTC core animation..

Best run cycle ever
Csmt3nf.gif

Honestly though, Wander's stride has a certain personality, just like Ico's and the Boy's from TLG.

How did you come up with this comparison?

n2PCTUY.jpg

;)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It really looks good to me. Seeing the amount of negativity is... not really surprising, but disappointing.

I agree. Nostalgia in this case is overblown.

I get that the original art style is very strong(and that's why i think SOTC didnt even need graphical asset overhaul in the first place), but looking at what they've come up with, its not bad. I'm glad they tried to do something different with it as opposed to copying rendering tricks that technically were only there in the first place to mask the limitations of the hardware at the time. They are making SOTC but using today's tricks.

Kuni

So excited for this. The game is one of my favourites and this is looking great. Still can't believe we're getting this.

While I do agree that Remake looks way better than the original (and the remaster) I do like the color grading and lighting in the E3 reveal trailer more than this new TGS trailer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Honestly though, Wander's stride has a certain personality, just like Ico's and the Boy's from TLG.
They are all very physics based (Ico perhaps lesser than the other two) and reap benefits but also problems from that. Like in TLG, you can even see the physics 'reset drop-down' on the boy, when the scene loads from a save state. His whole body often goes through that drop that physically controlled objects tend to do in games when physics are initialised. I am actually fascinated that they managed to make a player controlled character that relies so much on physics - still be controllable, and not be like controlling QWOP or something.

In case of SOTC, I think they just couldn't sample physcs on his animation fast enough to not make it look/feel glitchy a lot of the time. Ico was so much smoother and more grounded in comparison.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
To be fair, that's from the E3 trailer, which IMO looked better than what they've shown now.
Hope the final game still looks like that.

maybe because 'greater, more realistic detail' isn't always everything? :) ...
Ueda tends to fill his games with lots of realism tho both in terms of animation and the small things like all of Trico's frame dropping feathers. If the man could've put realistic fur on the Colossi back in the day, guaranteed he would've done that. Side note, they better nail the look of the final colossus fight.

Best run cycle ever
Csmt3nf.gif

It looks like they directly emulated the old walk cycle except without the jank. Even as a kid I felt, "man that looks goofy."

Ueda tends to fill his games with lots of realism tho both in terms of animation and the small things like all of Trico's frame dropping feathers. If the man could've put realistic fur on the Colossi back in the day, guaranteed he would've done that...

quite possibly. but - he didn't! & the results, i'd say, have a beauty of their own...

you want to completely remake sotc? feel free (tho i doubt i'd be interested in playing it). otherwise, in the case of this project, i'm sticking with this:

Based on IGN's comparison, im disappointed that most of the atmosphere is gone. Yeah, I know that the fog and color scheme had to do with technical limits from back in the day but I am sure they also were added for artistic purposes. The remake took out all that and more. Thats like repainting the mona lisa because the paper, paints and paint brushes today are higher quality and allow greater color accuracy than the ones da vinci used.

Top Bottom