• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Final Fantasy 5 (smartphones) screenshots

PK Gaming

Ew

can they stop fucking around and give us an FFV 3DS remake :(

FFV deserves a fully voiced more than any of the other 16bit FF games (mostly due to how funny and lighthearted the game is)

D:

Mael

You know, FFV is the only FF I haven't played. I've been waiting for a decent remake to come around to finally get my hands on it. At this point I'm about to just give up and go for the GBA remake. Isn't there a Psx version too? Which is better?

Don't touch the psx version with ten feet pole, that's the only advice I can give.
For the GBA port (because really it's not a remake), I can't comment on the localisation because for once the localisation in my native language is actually very competent unlike most FF games (especially at the time).
It's the best version so far if you don't understand japanese.

Mihos

Gold Member
No classic FF deserves to be fully voiced.

It would be jarring to me.... like when they made the show where Tom and Jerry talked.

And all that would happen is another thread of people complaining about how they don't like the voice actors.

Shinta

Banned
Oh no, people have a different opinion from mine, I'm gonna respond to someone who agrees with me and make snarky passive-aggressive comments about others. At least engage the people with whom you disagree.

I also want to address this separately. Why should people be called out for being disappointed (or excited) in the first place? They shouldn't be. Because they can feel however they want to feel. That's silly. You also shouldn't speak of "the mods" as if they are one person. They are individual people with their own personalities and likes and dislikes.

I just don't get what the moderation philosophy is in FF threads then, and I don't think I ever will.

Aeana

I just don't get what the moderation philosophy is in FF threads then, and I don't think I ever will.
What do the two bolded statements have to do with each other? The bolded part in the first quote is speaking directly about not engaging the people you disagree with, but rather talking about them, and the second is about having whatever opinion you want to have.

Mael

It would be jarring to me.... like when they made the show where Tom and Jerry talked.

And all that would happen is another thread of people complaining about how they don't like the voice actors.

Not really if they handle it like FFIVDS I don't remember people moaning that much about that.
Depends on how they do it I guess, can't possibly be worse than FFXIII....I mean as far as overall package goes.

What FF5 needs is a laugh track, like Mystical Ninja 64.

Ok THAT is awesome.

Hehe that character art really stands out, doesn't it? And not in a good way.

Though it's funny - at first glance I was like, "Wow! That looks pretty goo----woah! Wtf?"

PK Gaming

No classic FF deserves to be fully voiced.

I honestly enjoyed the FFIV remake

It might be biased because i'm a sucker for Bartz's ENG VA, but I would honestly enjoy a fully voiced version of FF5. Exdeath saying "There will be no tasty morsels for you in the afterlife!" would be a dream come true for me ♪

Galuf: That lobster got served!
(laugh track)
Bartz: With cheese biscuits on the side!
(pause)
(laugh track)

imagine...

Pyrrhus

Is that actual Amano art or something someone else drew aping his style? The linework looks too clean and there's something that seems off to me about the faces and shading. In any case, I think it's insane to use that art style in the character portraits when the in-world characters look absolutely nothing like them. It's not that the art direction is bad. It's that it's absolutely non-existent. It's painful to watch this company absolutely squander its classics.

Mael

Is that actual Amano art or something someone else drew aping his style? The linework looks too clean and there's something that seems off to me about the faces and shading. In any case, I think it's insane to use that art style in the character portraits when the in-world characters look absolutely nothing like them. It's not that the art direction is bad. It's that it's absolutely non-existent. It's painful to watch this company absolutely squander its classics.

Actually it's close to what we saw in that Kardia(was that the name of that game) game on ps1 so it really could be a direct translation of his art here.

It might be biased because i'm a sucker for Bartz's ENG VA, but I would honestly enjoy a fully voiced version of FF5. Exdeath saying "There will be no tasty morsels for you in the afterlife!" would be a dream come true for me ♪

I'd be okay with that, as long as John DiMaggio reprises the Gilgamesh role.

Aru

Oh god, those Amano portraits...
That's the main issue to me, not the sprite. Though I'd say Bartz looks very much alike one of the FFD heroes.
I prefer the look of FFIVCC.

Valnen

h74fLVf.png

People were excited as hell for 13 before they played it.

Pyrrhus

Actually it's close to what we saw in that Kardia(was that the name of that game) game on ps1 so it really could be a direct translation of his art here.

It's obviously trying to look like his character designs to imbue a little class in this shitty cash in, but I don't think it's his actual work. Amano generally does ink drawings with loose, uneven line work and light watercolor washes.

Faris looked like this in his official artwork from FFV, for instance. It even appears to be the image the character portrait was based on.

Amano_Faris_III.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120620112055/finalfantasy/fr/images/3/31/Amano_Faris_III.jpg

The new stuff looks more anime, with a greater amount of linework that is also a lot more uniform than he generally exhibits. The coloring appears to have been done digitally, too.

Midou

Pretty weird and out of place. Like they are too tall and generally ugly. Monsters look okay, but everything else is kind of meh.

I hope FFVI doesn't get this kind of treatment.. it will cause more backlash. Not that it would be enough to make anything matter but..

Don't see why they used a fucked up version of Amano art either, like were they trying to be edgy and cool?

Pyrrhus

They've got the resolution and color depth to have accurately reproduced the chibi artwork. I can't fathom why they didn't actually do that instead of this bootleg-looking shit. I don't think it would have been that much harder to execute, but it would have looked a lot more cohesive and nostalgic than the failed attempt at 16-bit style battle sprites.

Kikujiro

Oh no, people have a different opinion from mine, I'm gonna respond to someone who agrees with me and make snarky passive-aggressive comments about others. At least engage the people with whom you disagree.

What is your problem? Saying people are overreacting is a snarky passive-aggressive comment?

And what does the bolded even mean? Engage in what? People like the art or dislike it, I'm not here to make others change their opinions, I quoted jett because I agree with his statement. I only pointed out the fact that there are always people overreacting, like saying "oh this makes me physically ill, I'm going to vomit etc." Nothing more, nothing less.

randomkid

It's obviously trying to look like his character designs to imbue a little class in this shitty cash in, but I don't think it's his actual work. Amano generally does ink drawings with loose, uneven line work and light watercolor washes.

Faris looked like this in his official artwork from FFV, for instance. It even appears to be the image the character portrait was based on.

Amano_Faris_III.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120620112055/finalfantasy/fr/images/3/31/Amano_Faris_III.jpg

The new stuff looks more anime, with a greater amount of linework that is also a lot more uniform than he generally exhibits. The coloring appears to have been done digitally, too.

I definitely noticed this too a little earlier in the thread, I think it's sort of like how Soejima was responsible for implementing Kaneko portrait art in the earlier Persona games, there's a bit of adaptation going on.

kitzkozan

Ew

can they stop fucking around and give us an FFV 3DS remake :(

FFV deserves a fully voiced more than any of the other 16bit FF games (mostly due to how funny and lighthearted the game is)

D:

I'll take a 3D remake which look like Bravery Default over this FF Dimensions "look". XD

CorvoSol

Man, that'd actually be great. And give Krile a stupid catchphrase so we can all see her for the Scrappy Doo that she is.

Oh, and weighing in on this, while I think that Dimensions looks okay, knowing that there is a perfectly fine looking GBA version of the game, this version of FF5 is not that attractive. They should've gone GBA or PSP, not this weird middle ground.

Goli

Huh, I totally missed this thread.
Anyway, I still think this looks fine it just seems weird that they remade everything but the characters themselves (from what it looks like) which are FFD based. But seeing as how FFT got an "HD" patch with new textures as well as brand new sprites for all characters, I can definitely see them eventually upgrading the character sprites someday.

Also the monsters sprites aren't from IVCC, or I or II PSP:
FFIVCC Zu:
FF4PSP_Zu.png

FFV mobile Zu:
&

FFV Zu:
Zuu-ffv.gif

And the other enemy appears only in FFV I think.

Did the ios games with actual effort in them bomb for SE? Did Chaos Rings do ok?

would it be feasible for SE to port bravely default to mobile? Does it use both screens extensively?

hitsugi

Square don't you dare ever, ever touch FF VI. Don't. Fucking. Touch it.

and this is exactly why they should never touch FFVI. Luckily, there's at least another 2-4 years before they pull this shit with it. Maybe by then they'll have moved onto using GameMaker for these things.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I like the character art at least... kinda... not really...
Just give me 3DS remake SE.

CorvoSol

People were excited as hell for 13 before they played it.

And this graphic was made after that. Post 13/14 Square is a whole different ballpark. We all had faith in Square before we played 13. The cynicism reflected by the graphic is a product of 13's breaking trust and faith.

Goli

Please, SE made a horrible 90's dance mix of Terra's theme IN the 90's but they didn't make a horrible FFVI remake/port with it.
Did the ios games with actual effort in them bomb for SE? Did Chaos Rings do ok?

would it be feasible for SE to port bravely default to mobile? Does it use both screens extensively?

I really don't think this doesn't have actual effort. At the very least this has more effort than FFD, but I guess that's not saying much to some.
IIRC they said only one of their games with "actual effort" underperformed which they never explicitly mentioned, but I have a feeling it was Drakerider which got largely ignored by everyone.

clem84

Gold Member
Not sure about those character sprites either, but overall the game looks better then the SNES/GBA versions. I hope this comes to 3DS or Vita.

CorvoSol

Galuf: That lobster got served!
(laugh track)
Bartz: With cheese biscuits on the side!
(pause)
(laugh track)

imagine...

I actually enjoyed FF4DS to the point that I consider it the presently definitive version of FFIV. And the VAs present in Dissidia for V were good. If they could get DiMaggio back for Gilgamesh, though, I'd be all for a fully voiced FFV.

Yeah, FFIV DS rocked, seriously. Great, great update to the game with thoughtful additions, plenty of challenge, and nice new written material that felt genuinely faithful to the game.

I want a FFV remake with those production values, that kind of challenge, and infinite NG+.

topplehat

Yeah, FFIV DS rocked, seriously. Great, great update to the game with thoughtful additions, plenty of challenge, and nice new written material that felt genuinely faithful to the game.

I want a FFV remake with those production values, that kind of challenge, and infinite NG+.

Many didn't care for the style they used in the FFIV/III remakes though. I liked them, and would appreciate FFV/FFVI remakes in that fashion.

hitsugi

Many didn't care for the style they used in the FFIV/III remakes though. I liked them, and would appreciate FFV/FFVI remakes in that fashion.

The only way they could please people is a high res update that stays faithful to the art style seen in the SNES versions. You change things too much - you piss a lot of people off

Top Bottom