• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX Demo: Feburary 21; (Euro PSN) February 22 [Up On Xbox Live/PSN]

FyreWulff

Apparently, it IS possible to be going too fast.. hit a grind rail so hard the demo hardlocked.

Also "classic" controls are barely classic. Guess I might as well learn the new ones.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Downloaded, gonna be late for my first class.

If anyone sees gnash101 that's me. I'm probably getting it on PS3 unless the PS3 demo is really bad or something, but I want some friends for the 360 demo.

My main problem is that I'm flying all over the place. I'm constantly riding up walls and such that I don't want to. Also I'm not sticking to grinds despite pressing LT...

I wonder if the framerate issues some people are having are due to issues connecting to ridernet. I'm downloading the demo now and will give it a try. I'm extremely picky when it comes to framerate, especially in a racing game that requires pinpoint controls. So I guess I'll know shortly if I'm canceling my pre-order or not.

Gowans

I've always been a Tony Hawk guy and never properly played a SSX game.

After Toku spammed me I checked this out on my lunch,

BEST SPAM MESSAGE EVER!!! Amazing game.

I dunno if it's because I've been crazing a proper old school trick/board game but my god, I love this.

Can't wait till tonight to get more play in, Day 1.

Eff

I wonder if the framerate issues some people are having are due to issues connecting to ridernet. I'm downloading the demo now and will give it a try. I'm extremely picky when it comes to framerate, especially in a racing game that requires pinpoint controls. So I guess I'll know shortly if I'm canceling my pre-order or not.

The only framerate issue I've seen is on a huge drop on the trick run while you're already grinding or in the air. Nothing that really screws up your run.

Man, it's so good to see this game back. It definitely plays differently to its predecessors but it still very much feels faithful to the series - particularly SSX3. Can't wait for the full release!

SLV

My nerves took the best of me and i just sent a begging message to shopto staff, asking if they would find it in their hearts to ship it to me 4-5 days before EU release. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

OK. I've started using the buttons instead of the right stick for tricks and I'm doing much better now. Something about both sticks at once was screwing me up big time.

Downloading the demo now, hope its good.

Does anyone know if any games are going to make use of the EA Sports Pass? I was hoping this and Fifa street would >_< seems a waste to have it.

Sorry, driving to work. There are indeed frame rate issues, specifically on the Bulldog trick it run. It's not a matter of if it bothers you or not, it either exists or it doesn't. The frame rate definitely drops when you are nearing the large drop off, where there are large pipes or some sort of obstacle to grind. Play it for your self. It doesn't break the game, but it is present. No need to assemble the SSX defense force.

EDIT: Pretty sure there is some screen tearing as well, 360 version.

It's not a question of the "SSX Defense Force". No one saying it "didn't bother them" is trying to say it "didn't exist".

Sorry, driving to work. There are indeed frame rate issues, specifically on the Bulldog trick it run. It's not a matter of if it bothers you or not, it either exists or it doesn't. The frame rate definitely drops when you are nearing the large drop off, where there are large pipes or some sort of obstacle to grind. Play it for your self. It doesn't break the game, but it is present. No need to assemble the SSX defense force.

Wow, I bet you're fun at parties.

LaneDS

More impressions for those stuck at work please!

Can't wait to get home and get downloading/adding all of you on PSN.

xxczx

Playing SSX 3 to ease the wait.

Come on USA PSN!

Edit: Oh and for RiderNet, does it show just friends scores or strangers too?
I doubt anyone on my friend list would be playing.. :(

donarumo

Neo Member
Loved what I played this morning. This game is going to be really addictive, what with your friend's scores right there, waiting to be challenged.

I'm trying it with the new control scheme. Having logged hundred of hours in tricky and 3, this is going to take a little getting used to but I think, in theory, the new control scheme should work in the long run. Still using A (on 360) to jump though. Didn't quite get it down to where I was pulling off what I wanted, rather I was mashing control sticks a little and kind of doing what I wanted. It (I) will get better and more precise with practice, I'm sure. Trying not to switch to classic.

I like the courses I played for my brief time this morning (before work). I'm looking forward to learning the courses. I'm trying to not to form a definite opinion just from the demo, without experiencing the true range of runs available.

As of now, can't wait to go home and play some more!

Marco1

My nerves took the best of me and i just sent a begging message to shopto staff, asking if they would find it in their hearts to ship it to me 4-5 days before EU release. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

Do you know if the shopto version has Mt. Fuji or did GAME get an exclusive on that?

Blutonium

Waiting sucks! I'm going to record a liveset, and when I'm done it better be on PSN. Does the demo support custom music as well?

The "Friends of Rivals" thing in RiderNet is going to spread around SSX GAF like wildfire until everyone is everyone's friend :lol

And new button controls >>>> classic, sorry old school. The grind button + speed of the game fit so much better with the new control scheme.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ah, that's more comforting. Just before you, dark said the framerate's fine, too. I'm the same, can't stand screen tear, I always see it. I'll take a dip in framerate instead of tearing every time.
That's not the right 'dark' you want to listen to when it comes to framerate stuff. You got me excited for a second before I realized who was posting.

Tokubetsu

The "Friends of Rivals" thing in RiderNet is going to spread around SSX GAF like wildfire until everyone is everyone's friend :lol

And new button controls >>>> classic, sorry old school. The grind button + speed of the game fit so much better with the new control scheme.

I agree. It's just using analog stick to jump ain't gellin' qith me. I need to take a break. I'm barely even hitting close to my set time.

Playing SSX 3 to ease the wait.

Come on USA PSN!

Edit: Oh and for RiderNet, does it show just friends scores or strangers too?
I doubt anyone on my friend list would be playing.. :(

Just friends for me, but I also got a message at one point that RiderNet wasn't actually up yet? Not sure.

I agree. It's just using analog stick to jump ain't gellin' qith me. I need to take a break. I'm barely even hitting close to my set time.

Well you can still use A to jump with the new controls.

And I swear to science I'm right on top of that 2:04 time, but I keep messing up.

ASSEMBLE! Yes, identifying the fact that a game has frame rate issues is an excellent indicator of how fun I am at parties. Oh no, someone said something negative about my favorite game of the week!

There seems to be only one Defense Force in this thread, to be honest. The "There's Got To Be An SSX Defense Force" Defense Force and I think you're the only member.

Seriously, no one's trying to hide anything. Most people just haven't noticed it or don't care about it.

There is no SSX Defense Force.

Tokubetsu

Well you can still use A to jump with the new controls.

And I swear to science I'm right on top of that 2:04 time, but I keep messing up.

Yea, that's what I do and again, please, just let me have this? Pretty please? I just spent 45 minutes trying to beat it...Came close a couple of times.

saelz8

Didn't feel the demo. The older games give you more control over movement. This is much more autonomic, jerky experience. It lost a lot of it's appeal, despite the cool trailers.

Setups seem to mean less and sensation of weight is reduced. I felt like I was in snow in past games, now I feel like I'm boarding on plastic.

I think this is a downgrade from past SSX's. The finesse feels gone, and that matters a lot.

LaneDS

A bit unrelated but I just preordered the game at Toys R' Us and realized that they are on sale for 44.99.

XBOX360

PS3

Great find! Thanks.

Didn't feel the demo. The older games give you more control over movement. This is much more autonomic, jerky experience. It lost a lot of it's appeal, despite the cool trailers.

Setups seem to mean less and sensation of weight is reduced. I felt like I was in snow in past games, now I feel like I'm boarding on plastic.

I think this is a downgrade from past SSX's. The finesse feels gone, and that matters a lot.

That is disappointing to hear, but maybe it's due to characters not being maxed or just not enough time with the game? I expect it to feel quite a bit different (the old LT to grind thing, for example, strikes me as odd) but I hope I come away not feeling the same as you. Your points sound valid though, so it's worrisome.

I just played the tutorial and then moved on to the Trick location to witness all the "framerate issues", which I'm very much sensitive to and I quite honestly didn't see any. What I did see was one awesome motherf***ing trick run. The controls are so damn deep (and confusing at the moment), but there's so much you can do in the air. The only real complaint I would lodge is that it's too easy to land, but I think I'd be frustrated if it weren't. The sheer number of things you can do while grinding or in-air is mind-boggling, and then you can tweak those even further. I'll never be at the top of the leaderboards because my mind can't keep track of all the moves I already did, and quite honestly it's going so damn fast that I panic and start repeating moves just to get a move in.

I love love love how the game looks. Yes it's not 60 FPS, but it is beautiful. Not sure how I feel about seeing the trails of other players all the time. I get confused and assume they're grindable bars sometimes. Ridernet is addictive. I finished the trick run and was told Soultron was better than me, so I had to go back and do it again just to beat his score (by 2.5 million...lol).

Addiction confirmed.

And durrrrrrhurrrrrr I must be in the defense force.

NinjaBoiX

I'd say the PS3 version will be equal at best to the 360 version, considering they've been showing it on the Xbox.

I'm waiting for the Japanese PS3 demo to hit, so I'm relying on you guys for impressions! Any more word on the framerate?

I hope the PS3 version is the one to get, or at least on par. I much prefer the DS3 for games that use all four shoulder buttons frequently. I bought Mirrors Edge on PS3 even though the Xbox version runs better. If there ain't much in it, I'll go PS3 anyways, that's what my pals will be playing on.

I'm getting better. Finally beat the Gold race run after like 20+ tries. Figuring out the right line is key. I still don't feel great though. Sometimes my momentum and the terrain pull me in directions I don't want to go.

Top Bottom