• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Does it add a tax on any digital product? Even if we're already paying local tax on said product?

Steams days in Australia are numbered. Already charging in USD and from July 1st you have to pay an extra 10% on top of that. Once AU currency comes into affect expect EB Games prices.

Prey is already $108 AUD, just imagine paying even more!

The Tax only applied to 'imported' digital goods, so PSN, XBL and EShop should be fine i think. Just Steam, Amazon, GMG and other sites will be more costly. Not sure how it will affect Amazon and their other physical products they sell.

Local sellers and not overseas sellers ? wonder how that works out when you have free insertion fees etc ? regardless just another reason not to List things on fleabay.....

Chuck

Still without luck
Hoping blues get up, as a roosters supporter it makes me proud that cordner is captain. Well deserved, i just hope pearce steps it up and doesnt stuff the game up ha!
It was a damn blowout wasn't it? The qld household where I was watching it was not happy.

Silentium

Got an email from eBay today saying they would be charging 10% GST on seller fees from 1 July. I'm sure that'll save Gerry Harvey's business model.
Not singling this post out, just wanted to jump in on the GST changes being proposed.

There are two GST changes in the news (often conflated/confused):
  • GST on intangibles - this is locked in, parliament has passed the legislation, its happening from 1 July 2017; and
  • removing the low value goods threshold (the $1000 exemption for imports) - this is the recent chatter you're seeing. The bill was recently before the Senate economics committee for review, its the government's intention for this to pass and begin 1 July 2017 as well (not going to happen I suspect).
To use eBay as an example (they're a good example because they'll get hit with both): y'all are getting emails that they're going to be charging GST on listing fees because of change 1 above, i.e. eBay makes a supply of a digital intangible listing service to you ergo they're going to need to start remitting.

This change is relatively uncontroversial, NZ implemented a similar regime last year and most VAT jurisdictions globally are going to start doing this. Yea compliance won't be perfect, but Australia (and every other global jurisdiction) will get the 20% that gives 80% of the revenue. The changes will also create a liability for platforms for all sales made on them (more on this below) but digital platforms seem less concerned about this (probably easier for them to make sure they grab the GST before they pass through to their sellers).

Change 2 is where it gets interesting - obviously it'd be hard to get joe-random seller from outer mongolian to collect and remit Aussie GST on imported goat milk, so part of the proposed legislation is to create (i.e. invent/deem) a liability for the operator of a platform (like eBay). This is controversial as 1) no other VAT jurisdiction does anything this for goods and 2) Australia would be basically "creating" a GST liability for eBay on things not actually sold to you by them contra to all traditional VAT policy thinking (treasury thinking here is that eBay will then make sure it collects the GST from the seller like it does with paypal/listing fees etc). Predictably, eBay (and others) are strongly opposed to this.

Further craziness with change 2) current drafting wants to impose a GST liability on goods shippers/forwarders - people who will likely have zero idea of the value of the underlying goods - how can they calculate and pay a liability (and get penalised if they don't) where they don't even know the value of the good

Not singling this post out, just wanted to jump in on the GST changes being proposed.

There are two GST changes in the news (often conflated/confused):
  • GST on intangibles - this is locked in, parliament has passed the legislation, its happening from 1 July 2017; and
  • removing the low value goods threshold (the $1000 exemption for imports) - this is the recent chatter you're seeing. The bill was recently before the Senate economics committee for review, its the government's intention for this to pass and begin 1 July 2017 as well (not going to happen I suspect).
To use eBay as an example (they're a good example because they'll get hit with both): y'all are getting emails that they're going to be charging GST on listing fees because of change 1 above, i.e. eBay makes a supply of a digital intangible listing service to you ergo they're going to need to start remitting.

This change is relatively uncontroversial, NZ implemented a similar regime last year and most VAT jurisdictions globally are going to start doing this. Yea compliance won't be perfect, but Australia (and every other global jurisdiction) will get the 20% that gives 80% of the revenue. The changes will also create a liability for platforms for all sales made on them (more on this below) but digital platforms seem less concerned about this (probably easier for them to make sure they grab the GST before they pass through to their sellers).

Change 2 is where it gets interesting - obviously it'd be hard to get joe-random seller from outer mongolian to collect and remit Aussie GST on imported goat milk, so part of the proposed legislation is to create (i.e. invent/deem) a liability for the operator of a platform (like eBay). This is controversial as 1) no other VAT jurisdiction does anything this for goods and 2) Australia would be basically "creating" a GST liability for eBay on things not actually sold to you by them contra to all traditional VAT policy thinking (treasury thinking here is that eBay will then make sure it collects the GST from the seller like it does with paypal/listing fees etc). Predictably, eBay (and others) are strongly opposed to this.

Further craziness with change 2) current drafting wants to impose a GST liability on goods shippers/forwarders - people who will likely have zero idea of the value of the underlying goods - how can they calculate and pay a liability (and get penalised if they don't) where they don't even know the value of the good

Can't find the article now, but Labor are offering some kind of deal where the changes are pushed back a year. Some sort of Quid Pro Quo for passing something else I imagine

Finally got around to selling some old gaming stuff. Managed to get $600 for a NES with a bunch of games. I was amazed at the level of interest, almost instantly.

That's a fair chunk of money! Was it in pristine condition with the original box etc?

Nope! Some of the games were boxed though. Stuff like Mega Man 2, Mario 2 and Ducktales are pretty sought after I guess but I was still surprised at how many people were hungry for it.

Shaneus

Got a Sony Trinitron 68cm CRT in good shape, recommendations on price to sell?
Looking at CRTs a while ago, I can tell you that you probably won't get much more than $20-30 for it. Most people seem to be junking them now.

I'd be curious about it depending on model etc. (and if I could fit it in my car), but yeah... I wouldn't go to much effort to try and make money from it, doubt it'd be worth your time.

Let me know what model it is, I might be interested :)

Quasar

Finally Stan released their AndroidTV app and it seems to run pretty well on my Shield for a first version.

Now I can almost retire my AppleTV. A small step for me only need one TV type device, which would be nice.

Quasar

Yeah. Ebay and others talking about blocking Australian users from buying (and I guess selling) to non Australians.I think its dumb, and think a better idea is from it to be collected from purchasers. Of course Australia Post is totally against having to do that.

Bunnings?

I bought a cheap fan heater from there from the GAF corporation. It caught on fire, probably should have know from the name.

pauline?

ebay wonder what proxy's will turn up out of this ?

not in Melbourne So guess i cant relly say much with regards to the CRT Ozzy

Looking at CRTs a while ago, I can tell you that you probably won't get much more than $20-30 for it. Most people seem to be junking them now.

I'd be curious about it depending on model etc. (and if I could fit it in my car), but yeah... I wouldn't go to much effort to try and make money from it, doubt it'd be worth your time.

Let me know what model it is, I might be interested :)

Model: KV-T29SZ1

Not my listing but this colour, size, shape etc:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mordialloc/tvs/sony-trinitron/1149104863

Where can I buy a cheap heater? I thought I'd be able to make it without a heater for another winter but guess not

Target and Aldi.

I bought the 11 fin oil heater for $69 from Target 2 weeks ago, similar one is on sale at Aldi this week.

I hate fan heaters, they make my skin very dry and are only good for spot heating.

The oil heaters warm up the room nicely and are a lot more energy efficient.

Quasar

Target and Aldi.

I bought the 11 fin oil heater for $69 from Target 2 weeks ago, similar one is on sale at Aldi this week.

I hate fan heaters, they make my skin very dry and are only good for spot heating.

The oil heaters warms up the room nicely and are a lot more energy efficient.

I just use a natural gas one. Install costs are a bit pricier though.

Shaneus

WITAF, AusGAF:

tdH9KQOl.jpg

lNgHgxIl.jpg

BxjSwXdl.jpg

Growing up when Agro started appearing as Boris' sidekick, which was also the time The Muppet Show was screening, every kid I knew thought it was Animal.

Welcome to me, five months ago. ;) Although I'm only able to get about 86Mbps down.

According to the site the NBN was available in my suburb from last month, been getting mail spam from TPG. They've installed the nodes around the place but do they install the NBN boxes on the houses first or only when you sign up?

I'm on a completely separate FTTN system, non NBN.

Quasar

Back from Wonder Woman. Was alright...was mostly just meh on the big super powered battle, but that always bores me in supers. Gal was great (the reason I went, mostly. That and wanting to support female led films of this sort). Some grumbling was made over some of the mythological elements and changes there.

Did remind me a fair bit of the first Cap film, I guess to be expected as its part a war film. And changing wars didn't really help reduce that much.

hirokazu

According to the site the NBN was available in my suburb from last month, been getting mail spam from TPG. They've installed the nodes around the place but do they install the NBN boxes on the houses first or only when you sign up?

I'm on a completely separate FTTN system, non NBN.
I don't know, I'm in an existing apartment complex so I've got FTTB NBN rather than FTTH. I just hook the modem up to the existing copper socket and uses VDSL between that and the NBN terminal in the basement.

For new apartments that have FTTH, the boxes are preinstalled in each apartment, I always assumed they came and installed them first before they tell you the service is available on your property.

I didn't know there were non-NBN FTTN networks in Australia. What sort of speeds do you get and what price do you pay for it?

I don't know, I'm in an existing apartment complex so I've got FTTB NBN rather than FTTH. I just hook the modem up to the existing copper socket and uses VDSL between that and the NBN terminal in the basement.

For new apartments that have FTTH, the boxes are preinstalled in each apartment, I always assumed they came and installed them first before they tell you the service is available on your property.

I didn't know there were non-NBN FTTN networks in Australia. What sort of speeds do you get and what price do you pay for it?

It's the old Transact/iiNet network in Canberra. I get about 46/7, they quote 80/20 max but I'm supposedly 1.1km away from the node.

It's $50 for 100GB/100GB peak/offpeak but netflix and steam are quota free so I've only had to top it up once in about 20 months. They do have a unlimited bundle but that requires fiddling with the landline so haven't bothered.

To be honest I'm surprise just didn't buy out Transact/iiNet, would have been easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom