• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper told me to drop dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woohooo slow down there... all this drama, who benefits from calling him out publicly? I mean... you started this chain of events by giving him the 100$ in the first place... you normally never pay someone untill they've actually done their job for you. You could have avoided this by working with a contract...

Anyway, i would drop all of this; it's bad energy man and screw your 100$, you'll never see dat muney again. Don't try to change other people's minds, if someone wants to screw you over and they CAN, then they will.

Too bad this voice-actor is a mean spirited guy.

Again, i'd drop all of it if i were you, there's nothing to gain from this and it is (most of the time) a huge waste of energy to try and change other people's value's or personality. Especially when we are talking about a "con artist" :)

Terrible, who benefits? Potential clients of his benefit by knowing that he could screw them out of their money as well.

What a dick and an idiot. He probably could be making a lot more money if he embraced the PaRappa persona rather than being an asshole about it.

OP you should post this thread on his wall.

MrBadger

Oh wow, after reading through that blog, I don't know if this is hilarious or rage inducing. To believe the living LEGEND behind the Knuckles rap should have to deal with this shit from one of his 500000 billion fans...

Also, anybody backing him up is just as bad as, if not worse than he is. They seriously have no reason to throw around insults except blind loyalty to Dred.

L Thammy

Reading the blog right now. I like how subtle he is. I mean, at first you can give him the benefit of the doubt, then he just asks you for more money and provides you with nothing. What the shit?

As for the benefit of calling him out in public? If he acts like this to the OP, why would you expect that he doesn't act like this towards anyone else? People need to start avoiding this guy, he needs to take responsibility and clean up his act.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Woohooo slow down there... all this drama, who benefits from calling him out publicly? I mean... you started this chain of events by giving him the 100$ in the first place... you normally never pay someone untill they've actually done their job for you. You could have avoided this by working with a contract...

Anyway, i would drop all of this; it's bad energy man and screw your 100$, you'll never see dat muney again. Don't try to change other people's minds, if someone wants to screw you over and they CAN, then they will.

Too bad this voice-actor is a mean spirited guy.

Again, i'd drop all of it if i were you, there's nothing to gain from this and it is (most of the time) a huge waste of energy to try and change other people's value's or personality. Especially when we are talking about a "con artist" :)

Screw that guys attitude thinking he can treat people like garbage. People shouldn't let that slide. The $100 is to gain not to mention divulging how morally bankrupt his attitude is.
Seems like a complete psycho, something is clearly not right there.

DryvBy

This thread is juicy!

Super%20Juicy%20Steak.ashx

Einhander

Thanks for ruining my childhood, OP. Now I will always look at PaRappa as a shiesty thief.

His Fish Sandwich song was dope.

DryvBy

After reading this blog, man, Dred is kind of dirty south ghetto. Real talk. Ride witcha boy. Word.

Since he admitted to taking your money, what can you actually do legally? $100 is still $100. I know some people don't find that to be anything but the people defending him after he said he took your money, wtf?

sakipon

Thanks for ruining my childhood, OP. Now I will always look at PaRappa as a shiesty thief.

His Fish Sandwich song was dope.

I'm hoping I'll forget about this incident. It'd be terrible to remember this shady dude every time I play the games. And to think before this day I had no idea about any of the voices behind the characters.

Einhander

I'm hoping I'll forget about this incident. It'd be terrible to remember this shady dude every time I play the games. And to think before this day I had no idea about any of the voices behind the characters.

If a PaRappa 3 is in development, it wouldn't be hard to replicate PaRappa's voice. They'd just have to find someone else who sounds similar and alter the pitch. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference.

L Thammy

After reading this blog, man, Dred is kind of dirty south ghetto. Real talk. Ride witcha boy. Word.

Since he admitted to taking your money, what can you actually do legally? $100 is still $100. I know some people don't find that to be anything but the people defending him after he said he took your money, wtf?

Actually, this might depend on the state he's in. Not anything near an expert, but I know that not all contracts have to be written documents, and there's record of the agreement being made here.

EDIT: I looked around a bit for examples of related lawsuits, but when you search for something with the words "Facebook" and "lawsuit" together it gets a lot of lawsuits against Facebook.
At any rate, it seems to me that you have mutual assent and consideration on both sides. I assume you're all of legal age as well, and as far as I know, informal contracts can still be binding.

Zeth

What a dirt bag. I hope someone picks this story up and runs an article. This guy seems like a total asshat. Insanely unprofessional.

This is going to sound assholish, but you tried to conduct business over facebook, with no official contract and no indication that dude was going to honor his side.

People are assholes news at 11. But you were extremely (or rather your friend was) naive to be giving away any kind of money based on trust and not much else.

Hopefully you will learn from this experience. I wouldn't bother chasing drew for that $100, the type of person that woukd stiff a couple fans for such a small amount isnt going to pay it even with a court judgement. He will just drag things out as long as he humanly can.

You have made people aware what a scumbag he is, learn your lesson and move on.

DryvBy

This is going to sound assholish, but you tried to conduct business over facebook, with no official contract and no indication that dude was going to honor his side.

People are assholes news at 11. But you were extremely (or rather your friend was) naive to be giving away any kind of money based on trust and not much else.

Hopefully you will learn from this experience. I wouldn't bother chasing drew for that $100, the type of person that woukd stiff a couple fans for such a small amount isnt going to pay it even with a court judgement. He will just drag things out as long as he humanly can.

No, he should keep pressing it. The dude is a thief at this point, at least until he returns the money. $100 is $100.

Vhalyar

Nah, there's still much work to be done. Let everyone hear about it, let everyone know what kind of person Dred is. He paid 100$, why relent? Get as much as you can from your money OP, at Dred's detriment and everyone's else enjoyment.

I hope Kotaku wakes up and the article gets picked up, and from there on it'll snowball to other sites.

It's easy to call them naive now, after reading the entire thing and seeing how Dredd Foxx really behaves, but in the beginning they were just two hopeful fans.

If I thought I was going to get a cool cameo in a personal project from someone I respect, even at the cost of 100 bucks, I'd pay too. No one knew Dredd was going to spiral downward into a weird ghetto breakdown.

As for whether or not he could legally play the part of the character in a .. remember folks, noncommercial student animation, Dredd never implied that, just kept stringing them along for OVER A YEAR's TIME and actually tried to tell them he'd do more work instead of returning the money, or simply recording the 8 or so lines.. He could have literally done that in less than 5 minutes... What a goon.

Charles Martinet did an audio interview in the voice of Wario, for an old games forum I used to hang out in over 10 years ago. We didn't pay him anything.. It's not a legal issue. It's an issue of a whacked out nut job stealing money from kids.

edit: and OP, if you haven't already, I implore you to share with news outlets. I can't rest until you do!

urfe

Doesn't sound assholish at all, it sounds weak.

It doesn't take a massive amount of effort for him to keep this up, and it ruins the guys name. Perhaps the voice actor was naive thinking nothing would come of it?

GoaThief

Doesn't sound assholish at all, it sounds weak.

It doesn't take a massive amount of effort for him to keep this up, and it ruins the guys name. Perhaps the voice actor was naive thinking nothing would come of it?

Shit sticks. Is ruining the chances of him getting work in the future a proportionate response? I'm not so sure myself.

If you wanted money back I'd be attempting to avoid the above.

TheContact

Wow just read the whole blog. I didn't know who dred foxx was till now but aside from having an awesome name he's a real asshole. Hope OP gets his money back. Sucks when the person you're a huge fan of turns out to be a dick.

Shit sticks. Is ruining the chances of him getting work in the future a proportionate response?

If you wanted your money back I'd be attempting to avoid the above.

He was asking his facebook fan group to donate money to him so he can replace his ipad he lost at a concert.

He does not have work, and he must be blowing all his money on drugs.

Even if he was working part time at Burger King he should be able to pay back those kids after an entire year. It's madness, and it needs to be addressed. He needs to get what's coming to him, which is a little taste of reality, even if it means he doesn't get small time voice actor work in the future, though it's pretty apparent that's not happening.

More than anything I want to simply see an apology, and publicly shaming him is the only way that's going to happen with a guy like this.

hamchan

Shit sticks. Is ruining the chances of him getting work in the future a proportionate response? I'm not so sure myself.

If you wanted money back I'd be attempting to avoid the above.

After this amount of time I doubt any money will be paid back. $100 price to ruin this guy seems worth it.

Fewr

Strange that a LEGEND never asked his 'agent' to what extent he could do fanwork. He received the money, he should have sent it back along with an apology if he couldn't do the work, no matter the reason.

Strange also that no other Gaffer is part of this super niche fanbase.

One love
One heart
One Parappa
One scammer

Hmm I'm with you op.. I hate people like this guy.. They are Very common, makes me sick.. Met them in real life and its like wow your sense of how shit works is completely fucked. But rappers man cmon you should have never trusted some one doing in general the most childish and thug crap music.

Nicktals

Banned
Wow...what a delusional nutter. Great story though, this has to be picked up...his name needs a little shame associated with it. This has gone on for over a year. He admits to getting the money and has done nothing in return. Slimey.

Camjo-Z

Wow, I didn't think this thread would still be going. Clearly this means Dred Foxx DOES have some star power! 500 Million! 500 Million!

For people suggesting I probably should not have done this if I wanted my money back, it's been over a year so I doubt I'm ever going to get it. Supposedly Jacob will be getting "a little something real soon" but, seeing as he's said that like 50 times before, I don't see any reason to believe he's being serious now. I think he just did it to try and spite me, though I'm not sure how saying you'll give the money to my best friend (who will then just give my part back to me) would work anyway.

Sooo, have you sought out any legal advice? Hell, I know it's 'only' 100$, but still I'd get it back for principle.

If you are gonna get legal advice, ask about the 'Uniform Electronic Transactions Act'. Seeing how this was set up through Facebook messenger, and both are using their real names, it's clear that a transaction is made. 100$ for a couple of lines being done by him.

I'll check that out.

Raxious

Sooo, have you sought out any legal advice? Hell, I know it's 'only' 100$, but still I'd get it back for principle.

If you are gonna get legal advice, ask about the 'Uniform Electronic Transactions Act'. Seeing how this was set up through Facebook messenger, and both are using their real names, it's clear that a transaction is made. 100$ for a couple of lines being done by him.

Zing

Banned
>OP asks Parapa VA to do voicework for flash
>Negotiates cost over Facebook, VA agrees
>VA says he will do it multiple times, cites 'reasons' for delays
>Months later, no voicework, refund not upheld
>OP asks for money back, VA says FU cause no paper agreement
>Proceeds to post batshit crazy shit towards OP.

Quick summary.

Thanks. I was curious, but not curious enough.

Revven

Just caught up with everything. Dang, this should really be on a site like Kotaku, what a story. OP, I hope you get your money back somehow -- or Dred Foxx at least gets a reality check, dude is a wacko.

Someone activate the Kotaku-signal!

You're a trooper, OP. Good job in trying to get some viral traction by spreading this about, it's the only thing that may force a resolution out of him. I shared your blog on my own FB.

KingOfLimbs

Neo Member
Good on you OP. Normally I'd hate seeing this but the inability to comprehend legal rulings and the general ratchet-ass breakdown of Mr. Foxx is making me lose it.

I'll signal boost this on some social networking site.

Hupsel

I hope you get your money back. More than the money, I think the OP is just trying to get an apology from the voice actor and more people supporting him and his story. I believe him and I do think the voice actor is an asshole. Good thing to show this on GAF imo... now some other websites can probably expand the story and go after the guy. Unfortunately the OP, as a nobody in the industry (sorry, not being a douchegab) doesnt have much power alone to make people see who the other guy is.

And most artists online will only do their job after receiving some kind of payment. I sometimes contact artists on Deviantart and they ask for 50% or 100% of the payment after doing initial sketches. And they mostly use paypal, something the voice actor in the OP story was dodging so yes, its kinda weird.

Hopefully you'll get unscammed out of this jam. If not, then at least you've spread awareness of the dude's somewhat disappointing work ethics. Best outcome would be for him to get his act together, but If he doesn't learn from this, people who would otherwise deal with him might. That's some sort of positive out of this shitty situation I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom