• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I really can't tell the difference between 4K and 1080p and I feel crazy.

Foxxsoxx

So I bought a Pro a few months back and a 4K TV to go along with it and when I play games with higher resolutions, 1440p, checkerboarded 4K, and full 4K I can't seem to tell a difference in the pixel count besides the HUD.

The settings on the TV and PS4 seem correct, but the difference seems to be almost unnoticeable which really confuses me considering the jump from 720p to 1080p is so instantly recognizable for me that I would think it would stand out. Obviously diminishing returns eventually kicks in, and I notice the difference between 30/60 fps in a heartbeat, but this almost seems wrong.

Please tell me I'm not crazy? I have tested multiple games and I simply can't tell the difference and wanted to know if I'm alone in this? I'm not sure if my TV is low key horrible or what. The picture quality is great. It just doesn't seem any different than when I force output 1080p.

Should probably add this in. Probably around 8 feet away from the TV.
It's a 55 inch Samsung 6290. Obviously not top of the line, and I'm fairly certain the HDR is crap (darker blacks is pretty much all it has).

JeffGrubb

How far away from the TV are you sitting? 10 feet? Yeah, you're not going to notice the difference. HDR is way more important than 4K if you're sitting that far (I hope you got an HDR 4K TV).

Think about it this way: the further you are away from a beach, the harder it is to distinguish the individual grains of sand.

Mezoly

How big is your TV and how far you sit away from it play a huge role if you would notice the difference.
When I played HZD for few weeks then went back to Quantum Break the difference was huge even though QB is a beautiful game.

So I bought a Pro a few months back and a 4K TV to go along with it and when I play games with higher resolutions, 1440p, checkerboarded 4K, and full 4K I can't seem to tell a difference in the pixel count besides the HUD.

The settings on the TV and PS4 are correct, but the difference seems to be almost unnoticeable which really confuses me considering the jump from 720p to 1080p is so massive and instantly recognizable that I would think it would stand out. Obviously diminishing returns eventually kicks in, and I notice the difference between 30/60 fps in a heartbeat, but this almost seems wrong.

Please tell me I'm not crazy? I have tested multiple games and I simply can't tell the difference and wanted to know if I'm alone in this?

Easy to spot the quality difference, force your PS4 Pro to output to 1080p resolution, run horizon zero dawn, rise of the tomb raider, titanfall 2. Now while doing this, go back to sound and screen and switch to 4K resolution, and viola you should see noticeable improvements to sharpness. Like the whole image, everything is lot more clearer, sharper and finer!

Izuna

Banned
If your tv isnt around 50-55 inches there isn't going to be much of a difference tbh

EVp40jn.gif

RomeoDog

Banned
Your not alone. Just yesterday I bought prey and knew that pre-patch the game had no pro support.

I played the first 20 minutes while the patch downloaded... replayed the same 20 minutes after patch and outside of the improved input lag I couldn't see visual improvements.

I also don't like HDR to much either, in horizon zero dawn it does nothing for me but in injustice I can see how it improves skin tone and ect.

I have an LG OLED E6. Had it for over a month now. Regret my purchase.

Foxxsoxx

You haven't been studying well. You need to read some YouTube comment sections to see the real difference.

But I don't want cancer just yet.

Easy to spot the quality difference, force your PS4 Pro to output to 1080p resolution, run horizon zero dawn, rise of the tomb raider, titanfall 2. Now while doing this, go back to sound and screen and switch to 4K resolution, and viola you should see noticeable improvements to sharpness. Like the whole image, everything is lot more clearer, sharper and finer!

Horizon was the first I tested and I switched from the 1080p mode to checkerboard mode and couldn't notice a difference.

FF14 has a mode where it instantly toggles between 4K (likely checkerboarded) and 1080p which pretty much just reduces the HUD size and I do notice a very, very slight difference that is basically unnoticeable and can tell it is in effect because the framerate dips dramatically)

I mean have you tried like comparing the two by switching the PS4 resolution settings from 1080p to 2160p? I can't imagine someone not being able to see the difference in a native 4K game.

Damn, 4K gaming is still expensive.

I have a 43" TV and I feel like it's already too big for my living room.

Those of you who want to jump ship to 4K tv at a cheaper price, consider picking up the Toshiba 49" L621U 4K Smart Chromecast tv with Onkyo inbuilt surround sound speakers. It's really good bang for the buck and produces superb visuals from PS4 Pro!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-with-chromecast-built-in-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/4882800.p?skuId=4882800

My buddy recently bought this tv and I took my PS4 Pro to his place to test it out and I was pleasantly surprised to see how good it all looked. And the sound, god this is something that most tvs fail at, even the higher priced premium brands I find sound to be rather disappointing, but on this particular Toshiba, it comes with Onkyo inbuilt surround sound speakers and it sounds infreakingcredible!

Foxxsoxx

go to a best buy and compare, its pretty easy to tell when the same thing is playing on different sets

The 4K displays actually showing 4K footage (although they're the high end ones) look leagues better than what I see on my screen. For instance 4K Netflix at home looks nothing like the 4K I saw on the displays at the store when it comes to clarity.

Another thing, load up some of those 4K/HDR TV demo reels on YouTube, they look pretty incredible and can real show off a 4K TV. You should definitely be able to tell the difference then.

Fredrik

You just need to sit closer to your TV. I guess you could get a bigger TV too but you just bought it so I'd say just ignore those comments. Move the chair/sofa closer and the resolution difference will be noticeable.

You could need new glasses too. This is not some kind of burn, I got new glasses a week ago, it's great!

knitoe

Stand right in front of the TV. Going from 1080p to 4K, the image should noticeably clearer and less jaggies. If you still can't tell, maybe, get your eyes check.

c0de

I wish I had some more people to talk to about how unimpressive 4k/HDR is to gaming as whole.

Bring 3d back!

I wish people would stop to think they are the center of the universe. HDR really is a very good addition to gaming and tv in general.

coopolon

Wow, at that distance I'm surprised you notice anything above 720p.

I bought a 4k 55 inch and could barely tell the difference sitting like six feet away. Hdr was cool though, but returned the tv and got a projector. Now I really want a 4k projector though, at that size it would definitely be noticeable!

Edit: oh, saw your edit below. Yeah, at 10 feet for 55 inch 4k won't give you much.

Foxxsoxx

Edited the distance away from the TV, I was just doing a ballpark figure, I'm actually around 10 feet away. Still, it's pretty dang close.

Moved the couch about 8 feet away from it, still can't see the difference though... I'm going to be doing some more tests.

Edited the distance away from the TV, I was just doing a ballpark figure, I'm actually around 10 feet away. Still, it's pretty dang close.

Moved the couch about 8 feet away from it, still can't see the difference though... I'm going to be doing some more tests.
10 is still a bit far. If you have Rise of the Tomb Raider, use that as you can switch between 4k and 1080p instantly. We used that to test how far back you are before you won't notice the difference.

Fasty

4K is such a waste of time. So much power required for something that adds a negligible improvement.

3D was a way better use of power. Still salty it was abandoned during the PS3 era.

madmackem

Your not alone. Just yesterday I bought prey and knew that pre-patch the game had no pro support.

I played the first 20 minutes while the patch downloaded... replayed the same 20 minutes after patch and outside of the improved input lag I couldn't see visual improvements.

I also don't like HDR to much either, in horizon zero dawn it does nothing for me but in injustice I can see how it improves skin tone and ect.

I have an LG OLED E6. Had it for over a month now. Regret my purchase.
Prey doesn't change the res does it?.

the jump from 720p to 1080p is so massive and instantly recognizable

I guess I don't need 4K then because I can't even see the difference between 720 and 1080p. I went back and forth between Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and can't see the difference.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
4K is such a waste of time. So much power required for something that adds a negligible improvement.

3D was a way better use of power. Still salty it was abandoned during the PS3 era.

4K is the single greatest IQ Improvment in games since 3D graphics.

The difference is insane. Games finally have the IQ of movies, and cease having all those visual artifacts and jaggies we just accepted before 4K as part of gaming.

Foxxsoxx

Why are you sitting more than the length of a car away from your TV?

How about sitting down about 6 feet away and then checking the difference out?

PLEASE GO HERE: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

So I tried this. Plopped a chair down 5 feet away from the TV, maybe even closer and went into the PS4 display settings and went from 720p to 1080p.

Difference in quality is noticeable. Then 1080p to 2160p. Can not tell difference.

Games I have been testing. I know most aren't true 4K :p

FF14.
Diablo 3
Ratchet and Clank
Deus EX MD
Horizon
Uncharted 4
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
The Divison

RomeoDog

Banned
Prey doesn't change the res does it?.

That explains why it didn't look any better lol.

So I tried this. Plopped a chair down 5 feet away from the TV, maybe even closer and went into the PS4 display settings and went from 720p to 1080p.

Difference in quality is noticeable. Then 1080p to 2160p. Can not tell difference.

FF14.
Diablo 3
Ratchet and Clank
Deus EX MD
Horizon
Uncharted 4
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
The Divison

I think all the games except for Diablo downscale to 1080p. Meaning your still getting the same pixels just being compresses a bit. Diablo doesn't go higher than 1080p anyway mate.

You should test The Last of US. Its switches from native 4k to native 1080p.

Foxxsoxx

10 is still a bit far. If you have Rise of the Tomb Raider, use that as you can switch between 4k and 1080p instantly. We used that to test how far back you are before you won't notice the difference.

Unfortunately I don't have it. Been using Diablo 3 and the PS4 menus.

That explains why it didn't look any better lol.

I think all the games except for Diablo downscale to 1080p. Meaning your still getting the same pixels just being compresses a bit. Diablo doesn't go higher than 1080p anyway mate.

You should test The Last of US. Its switches from native 4k to native 1080p.

Pretty sure Diablo 3 is full 4K man. The rest are mostly 1440p 1800 or 2160p checkerboarded using the Pro Patch thread for reference.

I'd have tested TLOU sooner but I'd need to redownload and its a large amount of gigs. I might DL it over night and see if I notice anything there.

Fredrik

FF14.
Diablo 3
Ratchet and Clank
Deus EX MD
Horizon
Uncharted 4
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
The Divison
Well then you only have my second option left. New glasses. And like I said, this is not a burn, I got new glasses a week ago and it's awesome! :)

Top Bottom