• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

JdFoX187

Banned
The Antitype said:
That's not a problem with the weapon, that's by design. If the clip in the AR wasn't that shallow, players would complain that the weapon is too powerful because people using it could just unload without aiming for 30 seconds.

The ideal starting weapon is a weapon you can defend yourself with, but isn't so powerful that it discourages you to find better weapons.

A shallow clip requires that players use grenades and melees effectively to kill with the AR. If they want to kill more efficiently, then they have to move through the map and find a better weapon.

Now, if you want to immediately go on the offensive with an AR and start killing people, that's your call, but you're going to need to be smart with your grenades and melees to do it.
The problem with the Assault Rifle is you can't defend yourself with it at any distance. You're a sitting duck at anything other than fully up close. Bungie helped remedy this somewhat with the inclusion of the magnum, and I think that's a fine starting combination for some of the maps. But with any map that has any sort of longer sight lines, the AR/mangum start is useless.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
StalkerUKCG said:
The trailer shows a section in the prison cells area of the truth and reconciliation (the player is holding a needler) and its clearly the white ultra from reach he is fighting. It really is a shame CE had some great elite variants.
Some work still needs to be done on them or else I don't know how they would keep some animations. Even if the slightest animation is altered. It would be hard for them to synchronize the firefights between the different view modes.

Beef up the AR a tiny amount and extend it to a close to mid to mid long range weapon.
Pistol secondary for longer distance and precession shots

Retire the DMR for the BR in Halo 4. DMR was nice but honestly a battle rifle is alot nicer, The halo 2 concept of single shot scoped and 3shot unscoped was awesome DMR-BR fusion would make a great pick up weapon for casual playlists and a starting weapon for "hardcore" playlists.

Needler rifle could use a buff but id rather they drop it in favour of something new or a carbine return.

Plasma repeater tiny buff
Plasma pistol is fine
Power weapons are good

Im personally not a fan of the scaled back sandbox. id be happy with having a huge sandbox. Humans maps with Halo 1(reach), ODST and Halo 2 Pistol. DMR and BR. AR and SMG.

MrBig

godhandiscen said:
Some work still needs to be done on them or else I don't know how they would keep some animations. Even if the slightest animation is altered. It would be hard for them to synchronize the firefights between the different view modes.
All of the grunts, elites, marines, weapons, etc in the video were from reach. They were just tied to the H1 rigging bones. None of the animation have been altered, as the thumb of the fp model makes painfully obvious.

ChenK said:
That suggests that having a wide sandbox and a gameplay model where the player is encouraged to experiment is a situation which is always desired. A very vocal component of the halo community would rather be able to always spawn with a weapon which is indispensible, as it leads to a game which is both very competitive and reduces additional variables other than the skill of the player. This by no means leads to a bad game in itself, but to a niche one, which only appeals to a select audience.

There is nothing wrong with this desire in priniciple, but I think that what you said about the AR should be followed for most games. My comment is that perhaps the personalisation of the Halo experience should extend to a deeper level than the current implementation in the playlists.

e.g. lets take Reach: You spawn with the AR in most playlists and it has its current damage and everything else is as normal. However, in specific playlists you spawn with a beefed up, bloomless DMR. Having two concurrent systems allows would effectively remove a lot of this type of complaint, and should 343 bake this in to their engine would allow the matchmaking to evolve with the community.

tl;dr 343, bake in weapons damage/attribute modifications, experiment with the community.

Sounds good to me.

The only problem is that Bungie doesn't like dividing up the population too much, cause it hurts matchmaking times.

So it wouldn't be possible to say, have Team Slayer AR, Team Slayer DMR, Team Slayer No Bloom, etc.

JdFoX187 said:
The problem with the Assault Rifle is you can't defend yourself with it at any distance. You're a sitting duck at anything other than fully up close. Bungie helped remedy this somewhat with the inclusion of the magnum, and I think that's a fine starting combination for some of the maps. But with any map that has any sort of longer sight lines, the AR/mangum start is useless.

I agree with you, and I think that the DMR should be the starting weapon on larger maps, just like the BR should be a starting weapon on larger maps in Halo 2 or Halo 3.

The problem is, Bungie needs to design some weapons that are actually worth moving through the map for, aside from power weapons (shotgun, snipe, rockets, etc). Because if you don't, you'll get Hemo, which is basically just player shooting at each other across a wide open space the entire match, and that's boring as fuck.

Personally, I say make AR/DMR the starting weapons on every mode in Reach, and carry that over to Halo 4 with or without bloom.

And for Halo 4, make the BR a weapon that spawns on the map in the way the DMR currently does.

MrBig said:
All of the grunts, elites, marines, weapons, etc in the video were from reach. They were just tied to the H1 rigging bones. None of the animation have been altered, as the thumb of the fp model makes painfully obvious.

I think we get new grunt models at least i dont remember the drum shaped methane tank grunts in reach

Ajj1z.jpg

sorry for the big image

MrBig

StalkerUKCG said:
I think we get new grunt models at least i dont remember the drum shaped methane tank grunts in reach

http://i.imgur.com/Ajj1z.jpg[IMG]

sorry for the big image[/QUOTE]
Those are the commander rank grunts in reach.

GhaleonEB

godhandiscen said:
I bet it is. Saber has created their own engine even, which from screenshots looks better than Reach. I hope they are able to add Theater, but if they can't I wouldn't mind if the graphical jump over Reach is significant.
It has been confirmed that there is no theater mode for the campaign. It runs on the Halo 1 engine, which does not support theater. I think it's a pretty big loss, as that is one of my favorite features of the series from Halo 3 on.

MrBig

StalkerUKCG said:
I had hope for gold zealot models then.
You can still hope. They could always be placeholders used instead of just using the H1 models while the rest is still being worked on. The shaders looked no where near done for how far along they should be, so that makes me think that they were just made quickly while the rest of the unfinished stuff wasn't shown in the video.

Ramirez

JdFoX187 said:
Long time Halo fans that are so hostile to anyone else that has a differing opinion to the point where unless you have an arbitrary k/d, then your opinion doesn't mean anything to them. As exemplified by "when bks attack" and other dumbass statements made in this thread.

As for Striker's statement, there have been many posters, Dax included, that refuse to admit the bubble shield slows down gameplay. Many more consider Halo 3, with its equipment garbage, Assault Rifle starts and terrible maps the pinnacle of the series. Perhaps posters haven't glorified the bubble shield itself, but they support the extensive use of equipment, which the past two games have proven doesn't belong in Halo in any way, shape or form.

So in your first post you blast the entire Halo GAF community by saying your opinion doesn't matter to them unless you have some mythical achievements in Halo, and then turn around and blast Dax or whoever for being ok with Halo 3.

ok.

At least I can admit that I don't care what bad players(ex. Dax) think.

I will say, while I dont mind some Reach assets used, its disappointing not seeing certain enemies that were unique in look to CE. I can't remember, but were the Elites models from Reach?

godhandiscen

GhaleonEB said:
It has been confirmed that there is no theater mode for the campaign. It runs on the Halo 1 engine, which does not support theater. I think it's a pretty big loss, as that is one of my favorite features of the series from Halo 3 on.
I was expecting this. The lighting in the engine Saber made looks way better than Reach though.

PooBone

ido said:
I have kept up with this thread since the very beginning, and I am still baffled at the people who are so adamantly proclaiming a butchered MP experience to be a good idea. If you are satisfied with a butchered MP experience, by all means, be happy about it. I am not happy about it.

Arguing over if the SP experience was more popular than the MP experience is also ridiculous, and it doesn't matter. They were both insanely popular, but we can hopefully all somewhat agree that the MP experience gave the game legs that kept it popular for many many years. I did read a thread where a guy said he played the campaign for over 2,000 hours... really? I'm not one to call bullshit very often, but you played Halo CE campaign for over 83 days straight? Really?

But yes, I am sore about the exclusion of the original MP experience. I loved being able to grenade the sniper/rockets to myself from across the map(Hang 'em High was my favorite map to do this). I loved being able to safe-fall to avoid fall damage from insane heights. I loved the walkspeed, jumping, the grenade physics, the backpack reloading... Everyone who is experienced with the MP of CE knows exactly what I mean here. But apparently a few posters in this thread find it absurd that we should expect this. Please, bitch at me some more for stating a very valid critique of the announced features of this game.
I'm certain I put over 1000 hours into campaign, most of that being co-op, so I certainly don't find it unreasonable to think someone else put twice that in.

If we get some sort of bloom-less MP on the 7 new maps with Halo CE weapons, are most of you going to be happy?

I kinda will be, I've accepted that we aren't get actual Halo CE MP, this is the next best thing.

ido

PooBone said:
I'm certain I put over 1000 hours into campaign, most of that being co-op, so I certainly don't find it unreasonable to think someone else put twice that in.

Certainly it's possible... but over 83 days straight of Halo CE campaign? That sounds pretty unreasonable to me. But it really doesn't matter... The point is, most people who played the game for years did so because of the multiplayer. Sure, you have your casuals who bought the game, beat it and possibly tinkered around in MP a bit. And of course, you have people like yourself who played the campaign for over FORTY days straight. But I would easily wager the major reason for the legs of CE is because of the robust and amazing MP experience.

Nobody can really argue with my statement that we are getting a butchered multiplayer component in this game. It's not even the same game as the original(MP) for one, and it has about half has many maps as the original game. It's butchered. Why should we NOT complain about this again?

To answer the above question about bloom: removing bloom is obviously a step in the right direction, imo, for making Reach play better... but it is still Reach. I still crave that CE experience online, so no I would not really be any happier.

ido said:
Certainly it's possible... but over 83 days straight of Halo CE campaign? That sounds pretty unreasonable to me. But it really doesn't matter... The point is, most people who played the game for years did so because of the multiplayer. Sure, you have your casuals who bought the game, beat it and possibly tinkered around in MP a bit. And of course, you have people like yourself who played the campaign for over FORTY days straight. But I would easily wager the major reason for the legs of CE is because of the robust and amazing MP experience.

Nobody can really argue with my statement that we are getting a butchered multiplayer component in this game. It's not even the same game as the original(MP) for one, and it has about half has many maps as the original game. It's butchered. Why should we NOT complain about this again?

To answer the above question about bloom: removing bloom is obviously a step in the right direction, imo, for making Reach play better... but it is still Reach. I still crave that CE experience online, so no I would not really be any happier.
You make it sound like a marathon session. 40 days total doesn't seem too ridiculous to be playing campaign. I've played a little over 7 days worth of Reach's campaign so far, and the game isn't even a year old.

I can't say I blame you for being upset at no MP; if things were reversed and there was MP but no campaign (updated or otherwise), I'd be pissed as well.

ido

squidhands said:
You make it sound like a marathon session. 40 days total doesn't seem too ridiculous to be playing campaign. I've played a little over 7 days worth of Reach's campaign so far, and the game isn't even a year old.

I can't say I blame you for being upset at no MP; if things were reversed and there was MP but no campaign (updated or otherwise), I'd be pissed as well.

I don't mean it to sound like I am implying someone sat for 83(or forty, whichever example you want to you) days and played the campaign... but 1,000-2,000 hours is a fucking lot, and it's pretty safe to say that kind of campaign playthrough time is the fringe.

As strange as it sounds... I would honestly be more pleased than I am now if it was MP only, since that is where the majority of my time will be spent anyway. I've played the campaign through so many times already... But with MP, every single game is a new game, so it is always entertaining to me.

GhaleonEB said:
*SIIIIIIIIGH*

Now that's fucking annoying.

Falagard

The Real Napsta said:
What do you guys need campaign theater for? I don't think I have ever used it.

"What do you guys need deodorant for? I don't think I have ever used it".

Just because you don't use something doesn't mean other people don't find it useful/important.

Falagard said:
"What do you guys need deodorant for? I don't think I have ever used it".

Just because you don't use something doesn't mean other people don't find it useful/important.

I'm asking what you use it for because I'm curious.

Tunavi

Banned
The Real Napsta said:
Favorite thing about the Theater for me is the screenshot feature. Half of my wallpaper folder is from bungie.net screenshots
edit: I checked. I have 117 pictures from bungie.net, what a coincidence

J-Roderton

The Real Napsta said:

Halo campaigns have all the cool scenery man.

I remember taking so many shots from Halo 3 campaign.

PooBone

thezerofire said:
and only a couple thousand tops are in Team Classic, the only playlist I find bearable. I really don't understand how dual-wielding violated the "guns-grenades-melee" triangle, but it made sense to put in a ton of AA's. Also the guns seem to take a back seat to grenades and melee
I don't really mind the AA's for the most part because they're fairly balanced, but I do prefer team classic over all other playlists. Bungie took some risks with their last hoorah in the series. Some of the risks paid off, some didn't, oh well. 343 can learn from it all.

I do really miss the 4 shot kill. Went and played some Halo 2 multiplayer on PC and damn it feels good. Kills come so naturally. If it took 3 shots instead of 4 to drop shields in Reach a lot of my complaints would be answered.

And Reach does have the worst MP maps in the series. I miss Halo 2's greatness. Where's the Turf/Relic/Colossus remakes? The thing everyone always loved and wanted more of, map interactivity, such as the gate switch on Zanzibar, Bungie never went back to, and I have no idea why. Man I think I'm gonna migrate my MP over to Halo 2 PC until Anniversary comes out.

Striker

PooBone said:
I don't really mind the AA's for the most part because they're fairly balanced, but I do prefer team classic over all other playlists. Bungie took some risks with their last hoorah in the series. Some of the risks paid off, some didn't, oh well. 343 can learn from it all.

I do really miss the 4 shot kill. Went and played some Halo 2 multiplayer on PC and damn it feels good. Kills come so naturally. If it took 3 shots instead of 4 to drop shields in Reach a lot of my complaints would be answered.

And Reach does have the worst MP maps in the series. I miss Halo 2's greatness. Where's the Turf/Relic/Colossus remakes? The thing everyone always loved and wanted more of, map interactivity, such as the gate switch on Zanzibar, Bungie never went back to, and I have no idea why. Man I think I'm gonna migrate my MP over to Halo 2 PC until Anniversary comes out.
The dual wielding worked too, in my view. You could defend yourself at close range whereas with the Assault Rifle, unless you have an aid from a grenade or melee, your death will be near from an DMR or Needle Rifle wielder. SMG/Plasma Rifle, SMG/Magnum and SMG/Plasma Pistol wrecked people fast, and capable of multiple amounts. We don't have that now, nor did we in Halo 3. The AR has to go.

The maps I completely agree with. We're in the same position as we were in Halo 3. Yeah, we have our diamonds in the rough, i.e. Valhalla, Standoff, Highlands, Anchor 9, but in Halo 2 you found studs everywhere. You found them in 4v4 games, you found them in Big Team Battle - in Slayer, Skirmish, BTB, Doubles Team, etc. It's truly spoiled us, I think.

PooBone

JdFoX187 said:
*blink*blink* How did Halo 2's multiplayer hurt the series? I'm actually serious with this question, as it's usually regarded as the game with the best maps and certainly best matchmaking.
Dual wielding and the damn sword. Remove those two elements and you have the best competitive multiplayer game of all time, on any system. And the reason I say that about dual wielding is because it messed with the ability to quickly grenade/melee opponents. Also, you don't start with two weapons, and with a single SMG you're worse off than if you had an AR at spawn.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
PooBone said:
Dual wielding and the damn sword. Remove those two elements and you have the best competitive multiplayer game of all time, on any system.

No. If you do that and then remove that stupid ass rocket lock on that it had for every damn vehicle and tone down the auto aim and then it would have been perfect.

I truly believe that Halo 3 was perfect except the equipment and lack of fall damage. Had Halo 3 not had the equipment and had that fall damage it would have been perfect. There would not have been any way to improve upon the Halo formula at all.

For me Halo 2 had the perfect movement speed ect, Add in an assault rifle to replace smg spawns but keep smgs for close range destructive power.

Halo 2 pistol was nice but replace that with the reach pistol.

That would be the perfect multiplayer for me.

Striker

PooBone said:
Dual wielding and the damn sword. Remove those two elements and you have the best competitive multiplayer game of all time, on any system. And the reason I say that about dual wielding is because it messed with the ability to quickly grenade/melee opponents. Also, you don't start with two weapons, and with a single SMG you're worse off than if you had an AR at spawn.
A single SMG and AR are equally bad. They're good at finishing up kills, but if you're met with a good user or a BR wielder, you're toast. Nothing else. They're more akin to an annoying gnat that simply won't go away. Dual wielding, at least, had its positives that wrecked players up close. The Halo 3/Reach AR can't do that quickly enough without help from melee or grenade.

PsychoRaven said:
No. If you do that and then remove that stupid ass rocket lock on that it had for every damn vehicle and tone down the auto aim and then it would have been perfect.

I truly believe that Halo 3 was perfect except the equipment and lack of fall damage. Had Halo 3 not had the equipment and had that fall damage it would have been perfect. There would not have been any way to improve upon the Halo formula at all.
You mean the dependent on host reliability BR? Or the horrid Assault Rifle, or abundance of poor maps. It also destroyed the Assault gametype, which was pure amazement. I admit it was less glitchy, but that's the only thing I liked over it.

Rocket lock-on was fine for the speedy vehicles and low splash damage. Now if Halo 3's Rocket had lock-on, yeah that would be bad. It's splash damage was 2x as Halo 2's. But they didn't need that, they had their own vehicle/infantry sniper rebellion: Spartan Laser.

PooBone

ido said:
I don't mean it to sound like I am implying someone sat for 83(or forty, whichever example you want to you) days and played the campaign... but 1,000-2,000 hours is a fucking lot, and it's pretty safe to say that kind of campaign playthrough time is the fringe.

As strange as it sounds... I would honestly be more pleased than I am now if it was MP only, since that is where the majority of my time will be spent anyway. I've played the campaign through so many times already... But with MP, every single game is a new game, so it is always entertaining to me.

In the grand scheme of things, not I doubt a very big percentage of Halo 1 players lugged their shit around for LAN parties, or bothered with XBConnect. I'm a hardcore Halo player and have been since I first climbed into a warthog, and my Halo 1 playtime was at least 10 to 1 campaign > multiplayer. But I should also say that 90% of my campaign playtime was co-op. I understand in a place like a GAF forum you have more hardcore users that game a lot more and go to greater lengths to partake in their offline multiplayer, but Halo 1 for me and probably for most people is about the campaign. It's what made masterchief a staple character in the videogame landscape.

I'm not saying I don't care that the mp offering is what it is, but my priority is and always has been the campaign. I think they are making the right choice given the time/resources/budget. Online co-op? Modern graphics? Hellz yeah!

Striker said:
The dual wielding worked too, in my view. You could defend yourself at close range whereas with the Assault Rifle, unless you have an aid from a grenade or melee, your death will be near from an DMR or Needle Rifle wielder. SMG/Plasma Rifle, SMG/Magnum and SMG/Plasma Pistol wrecked people fast, and capable of multiple amounts. We don't have that now, nor did we in Halo 3. The AR has to go.

The maps I completely agree with. We're in the same position as we were in Halo 3. Yeah, we have our diamonds in the rough, i.e. Valhalla, Standoff, Highlands, Anchor 9, but in Halo 2 you found studs everywhere. You found them in 4v4 games, you found them in Big Team Battle - in Slayer, Skirmish, BTB, Doubles Team, etc. It's truly spoiled us, I think.
I completely disagree with you on Halo 3 maps, but I guess that's your prerogative. For me standoff (especially AR starts) was the worst map in Halo up until Reach, and possibly after.

Striker

thezerofire said:
I completely disagree with you on Halo 3 maps, but I guess that's your prerogative. For me standoff (especially AR starts) was the worst map in Halo up until Reach, and possibly after.
Standoff was good, while not great. But anything with AR starts in Halo 3 was generally bad. In Reach it's a better because of the Pistol, at least.

AnEternalEnigma said:
What? The Halo 2 magnum was a worthless piece of shit.
Dual magnums and SMG/Magnum was at least comparable.

The Halo 2 dual wield weapons usually stunk by themselves, but it's not like the weapons were anything better in games after. Assault Rifle has been a poor starting weapon, Plasma Repeater is better than Halo 3's Plasma Rifle, but still isn't a worth while weapon to hang onto. Spikers were a god awful MP addition for Brutes. SMG was unchanged from Halo 2 to 3, etc.

godhandiscen

The Real Napsta said:
I like to relive the moment of badassery without playing the game.

Izayoi

Banned
NullPointer said:
Then this is pointless if you're right. Here's to hoping you're wrong ;P
I won't be. Watch the videos. Horrendous framerate problems. They might be able to get it stable at 30 (big might, REALLY big might), but 60 is a pipe dream. Play Halo PC or Halo 2 Vista if you're looking for good framerate in a Halo game.

StalkerUKCG said:
Pointless by who's standards yours? For some of us 60fps isnt the be all and end all of gaming.
I don't *need* 60fps, but I think its a fair expectation for a remastered game from 10 years ago. But if it can't even be locked to 30fps? That'd be tragic.

Izayoi

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:
Didnt they say the have smoother that out, sure someone said something about that being an old build.
It might be smoother, but there's no way it will be 60FPS. Like I said, they might get it stable at 30, but 60 is never happening.

Top Bottom