• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Jeffrey

Man does the essential look good in video...

Seems like most apps you get bigger Notification area so seems like it's 16:9 usability for the most part.

Jeffrey

Ordered reuben phone. Still have a while before pixel 2 xl.

They also have a 15 day return policy as well and I've been abusing amazon too much this year lol.

Groof

Well i just changed my Nexus 6P battery. Ifixit tear down gave the N6p a fis it rating of 2 meaning its a bitch.

I have to admit, its super easy and the only hard part is getting the back cover off. I did make about 3 tiny indents on the case and lost about 3mm of plastic lip but my phone cover hides all this anyways.

I must have accidently danaged the old battery because it was super hot and begining to swell, but i just yanked it out and put in the replacement. Im not ready to fork out money on a new phone just yet and i think its a digusting anti-consumer practice that phone manufactorers do not provide the opportunity to replace batteries given how easy this was. there simply is no excuse and the sooner people begin to reject what they do the better.

Anyways, im off to give a full charge before i root it and install Elemental X.

for those interested I followed this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEQbQPAU9Ss
where'd you buy the battery and what kinda kit did you use?

reKon

Banned
Essential phone sounds good. I wouldn't buy though unless the camera is improved to iphone/galaxy level and it gets to down $550. Next.

Jeffrey

Essential phone sounds good. I wouldn't buy though unless the camera is improved to iphone/galaxy level and it gets to down $550. Next.

Shame all the detailed reviewers like GSMarena and pocketnow didn't get them.

Vague statements about camera not being good doesn't help explain anything.

Also seems like day 1 update greatly improves camera. Who knows!

Sure would be nice if these reviewers posted pictures or something.

Damn.

Pretty tempted to check out the Essential. I already have the Pixel XL so not sure what I would benefit from aside from the minimal bezels.

XL2 coming soon too so its a great time to be in the market for a new phone. Note 8 too but looks like that's gonna be an easy pass for me based on the leaks.

LogicStep

I have a quick question. I see that some kernels or custom ROMs say that they disable encryption. What does that mean to me, as the end user? Where do I see the difference, where am I losing security?

I'm wondering if it's not a big of a deal as it's made out to be.

DagsJT

I sold my Pixel on eBay and sent it after I reset it. I wasn't aware that it has factory reset protection though and the buyer can't sign into the phone until my email and password are entered.

I can either give them my details which isn't ideal obviously, or they can send the phone back.

Is there a way around this? Has anyone else been in this situation?

DagsJT

Didn't you reset it in the normal options menu? Should only happen if you do it with adb or the "BIOS" menu.

Just did it in the standard factory reset settings, although I did go from the O beta back to Nougat.

I've given them my password and I'll just reset my password once I get the two factor authentication to advise it's been used.

I sold my Pixel on eBay and sent it after I reset it. I wasn't aware that it has factory reset protection though and the buyer can't sign into the phone until my email and password are entered.

I can either give them my details which isn't ideal obviously, or they can send the phone back.

Is there a way around this? Has anyone else been in this situation?

Go to emergency dialer during setup and press *#812#
After it will take you to home screen. Go to settings and add new Google account. Problem solved.

FYI, I know this thread is more for flagships & discussion of higher-end phones, but I'm very pleased with the budget Moto E4 Plus I received. Battery life so far (5,000 battery) has been rock solid, and that's the reason I got it; was tired of my S6 dying midway through the day.

My only complaint is that the camera isn't anything special.

I've been using my Galaxy S8 for about a day now but I'm having issues with picture and video quality over text.

Coming from an iPhone using iMessage, I guess I'm a bit spoiled. I'm using Textra now and it's really compressing short video clips.

Any work around for this?

What is the best $300 and under phone on Verizon that won't bootloop? Would it be the G5 Plus or would that bootloop too? My girlfriend's 5X bootlooped and won't work at all now.

I've been using my Galaxy S8 for about a day now but I'm having issues with picture and video quality over text.

Coming from an iPhone using iMessage, I guess I'm a bit spoiled. I'm using Textra now and it's really compressing short video clips.

That's how sms and mms works.

Jeffrey

What is the best $300 and under phone on Verizon that won't bootloop? Would it be the G5 Plus or would that bootloop too? My girlfriend's 5X bootlooped and won't work at all now.
It's hard to tell. Phones usually do that 2 years later. Also honestly android phones have other problems after 2 years regardless. G5 plus is a solid phone though.

Husker86

Don't use SMS/MMS.

Noema

Oatmeal cookie here.

I was leaning towards that but then I learned that that's Google internal codename. AFAIK the internal codename never ends up being the final release name.

Nougat was New York Cheesecake, Marshmallow was Macadamia Nut Cookie, Lollipop was Lemon Meringue Pie; KitKat was KeyLime Pie, etc.

I think Google is gonna pull a Nougat on us. Everybody thought it'd be Nutella.

They'll call it Android Oliebol or something.

reKon

Banned
I just thought about something.

Can we talk about how the Essential isn't waterproof and has a relatively small battery? Now regarding the battery, we don't know what this means because it very may well deliver there. But my point is, that there was no reason to not have a headphone jack, again...

ctfg23

Going to need a new phone soon. My 6P battery goes from full to 20% with less than 2 hours SOT, and often dies between 15 and 20%. Plus this is with like 10% brightness.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Can we talk about how the Essential isn't waterproof and has a relatively small battery? Now regarding the battery, we don't know what this means because it very may well deliver there. But my point is, that there was no reason to not have a headphone jack, again...

There was no real reason to omit the headphone jack. Looking at the schematics on the site, there was room for one.

If you're charging 700 bones for your jack-less phone, please provide some usb-c ear plugs. HTC even did it

Quasar

Well its ugly. Soon we'll be in the age of connector-less phones. And for lightning/usb-c jacks it does encourage development of more feature rich headphones.That I actually expect to see given all the processing that Apple seems into with the Apple HiFi2. I could see lots of interesting developments there.

As for the Essential, a small battery on such a premium priced device is pretty damn annoying.

-Deimos

Google hasn't been any help so hopefully someone here can help me. My Moto G Play (and maybe my og Moto G, can't remember how far back I've had this problem) sometimes turns my alarms off by itself while I sleep. I'll set my alarm or alarms, just in case, wake up late and see that both alarms are set to off. There's no way I'm waking up and turning these off myself and forgetting about it. Anyone ever encounter this before?

Jeffrey

oh didn't know that sharp essential looking phone is out in china already. Looks like the essential but with the back of a bootleg iphone 8 'clone' lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW_L4YRM7Fs

battery is fine for its dimensions. It's like smaller than s8 which has a similar battery.

from what I can tell from phone design, dual camera setups take up a hell lot of space, and getting it 'flush' will have compromises elsewhere. I assume the bezeless design and the earpiece setup doesn't help either.

headphone jack seems like the easiest thing to cut.

Husker86

So Is there anyway around it? Is there another messaging app?
No, the compression is due to MMS not handling large chunks of data (though I think this might vary by carrier). I did notice Sprint-sent images were far worse than other carriers, however that was at least 4 years ago and I don't really use MMS anymore so I can't say if that's still the case (different compression from different carriers).

The way around it is to use something that's not SMS/MMS, like Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, WhatsApp, etc.

FYI, I know this thread is more for flagships & discussion of higher-end phones, but I'm very pleased with the budget Moto E4 Plus I received. Battery life so far (5,000 battery) has been rock solid, and that's the reason I got it; was tired of my S6 dying midway through the day.

My only complaint is that the camera isn't anything special.

it's really not.

it's for everything.

even other OSes...

it's really not.

it's for everything.

even other OSes...

Honestly I feel like when the new iPhone is released this becomes an Apple thread LMAO.

But Android hasn't been interesting in a long time now. Both Android and iOS are more or less at the same phase that modern Windows is at. Most of the time trying to add new things actually makes it worse and not better.

Blackhead

Redarse
Honestly I feel like when the new iPhone is released this becomes an Apple thread LMAO.

But it's not just when the iPhone is released ― it's also when rumors of a new iPhone are released. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . It's not been as bad since a certain Gaffer was banned... and after more android phones have been released with the features other gaffers were praising in iPhone rumors (what ever happened to 'real' wireless charging? lol)

But Android hasn't been interesting in a long time now. Both Android and iOS are more or less at the same phase that modern Windows is at. Most of the time trying to add new things actually makes it worse and not better.

I7CKNVs.gif

tries to think of new Android O features of the topic of my head but can't name one

Android is still iterating features but the machine learning/google now focal point are kinda hard to demo and explain their usefulness. That said, Android devices in their infinite variety (excluding 4" flagships) are still quite interesting. Ain't nobody should be having time for iPhone rumor discussion in the Android thread

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hate how Samsung's browser is easily like 20%-25% faster in benchmarks than Chrome. Plus it shows in real world use and responsiveness.

Yet Chrome is well Chrome. So I don't want to loose cloud sync for all of my shit between all of my devices.

FFS though Google! It isn't even close. Samsung's Browser wipes the floor with you.

I know like once every idk 10 versions Google always says they know performance has gotten worse, BUT hey this new update will fix it k?

Never actually gets better through.

LeleSocho

Banned
Whyyyyyyyyyyy Android has to be so bad :(
Essential is essentially (i'm sorry) the phone of my dreams but i want a good mobile OS goddamnit.

This phone is so goddang perfect uffffff...

NeOak

Whyyyyyyyyyyy Android has to be so bad :(
Essential is essentially (i'm sorry) the phone of my dreams but i want a good mobile OS goddamnit.

This phone is so goddang perfect uffffff...
Symbian is dead.

You will take Android and you will like it.

No i swear i'm not trying to rile up people it's just that Android openness give more downsides than upsides for what i want from a phone.

The Essential hardware though... nghhhh so much better than Apple is doing.
Ah. It'll be interesting to see if Fuchsia is less open than Android if Google does actually make it the successor.

Top Bottom