• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were consistent last season

August-December consistently good
January-February consistently bloody dreadful
March-May consistently just about decent enough

¬¬

tomtom94

I'll be dropping by here and there. Newcastle fan, loving how once again we have identified our priorities and then signed players in completely different positions.

yagal

Good job Lunar, reserve one or two post the next time though

I'm in the fantasy league but I don't know how it work :)

Good job Lunar, reserve one or two post the next time though

I'm in the fantasy league but I don't know how it work :)

How I play FPL: put a squad together, everyone sucks, reorganize team with unlimited trade wildcard, only half the team sucks now, reorganize in second transfer window, get lucky with triple Captain wc, finish at a decent position because half the players stop playing before the new year.

Nyx

Utrecht presented the away-kit today and there's quite some controversy about it, what do you think?

yvdoWfy.jpg

Audioboxer

What do Man Utd fans think is to come for Martial?

I wish he'd look to Giggs/Ronaldo for inspiration and pursue the role as a winger/inside forward. He has the dribbling skills to be one of the greats at beating men out wide and supplying or cutting in. No one can say being a winger/wide player has to equal less goals, just look at Ronaldo at Man Utd before he even reached his prime. Ronaldo is superhuman, so even 75% of what Ronaldo is will still be an amazing player.

Rashford is more of a striker than Martial. He has the pace, but not as much of the dribbling skills, more often just opting to use pace to try and run past other players. Which is great for a striker on the last line. As I said above, Martial has more of the close dribbling skills needed to cut in from out wide or beat men on the edge of a crowded box.

If anything he should request the number 7 jersey, or be happy with the number 11, rather than be butthurt over 9. Another thing Mourinho needs to deal with in his young age, ego. Thinking he's made it because of one first season at Man Utd. Nah, sorry son, maybe once you hit your mid/late 20's and have had multiple consecutive great seasons you can even begin to say you've made it. My biggest fear with his raw potential/talent is carrying an ego. If it carries on as that, he'll be the next Depay to be shipped out of the club.

That's a problem with a lot of young players though, they sign for a club like Man Utd and think that's them 50% of the way there, then after one or two good seasons, I've made it mum and dad. Nah, 100%, no, no, no. If you want to command the presence of a veteran like Ibrahimovic or be as consistent as Messi/Ronaldo, you have to rid yourself of any ego until you are deserving of having an ego. Even the ever charismatic Pogba has to watch here, and at times in his first season back at United was brought back down to earth with how chat off the park doesn't always show results on it. He is slightly older than Martial and further developed, but Pogba like Martial still has a way to go to reach what they should be capable of.

Make or break season for Martial if you ask me, if he wants to be a future Ballon d'Or potential he'll have to accept right now there aren't many bigger clubs for him to be at, and to draw from prior United players on how to be successful and realise potential. Another season moping around, underperforming, and not developing and he'll probably be shipped out to a lower Spanish/French club to end up being a decent run of the mill player.

Tosyn_88

Mou is gonna park the bus hard, we will play boring football and everyone will hate us (more than usual), but at least we'll get results.

That is the kind of football that wins league titles. Chelsea did a huge favour selling him Matic. I can already see them grinding out all the 2 - 0 wins against West Ham and Everton, with 1 - 0 wins against Arsenal and Liverpool. Everyone will hate the style but it will be effective for weeks on end

tomtom94

Might stick money on Sunderland to go straight down. How realistic is that do you think?

They're poor, but I think there are at least three sides in that league worse than them.

Also their current situation reminds me of when Newcastle went down in 2009 and everyone was predicting doom and gloom. I don't think they'll do as well as Newcastle did then, but I think they should settle in mid-table. Maybe a play-off challenge if they invest well.

TheChamp

Our season starts tonight against Hull a promotion 6 pointer already....

User: TheChamp
League: Premier League

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester City
3. Manchester United
4. Arsenal
---
5. Tottenham
6. Liverpool
7. AFC Bournemouth
---
18. Swansea City
19. Huddersfield Town
20. Brighton

Mou is gonna park the bus hard, we will play boring football and everyone will hate us (more than usual), but at least we'll get results.

United are certain to get draws. From pre-season it looks like United are going to be a long ball team this year to solve the problem of a weak attacking mid. Might overtake Wenger on use of those tactics.

Diabelli

I will be very surprised to see him outside of cup competitions and as a sub.

Watch him fuck us in the derby for ultimate despair.
I wouldn't worry, even peak Rooney was shit against your lot. He always played like shit against Everton too, so he'd be like a black hole absorbing all the shit.

DukeBobby

Everton fan here. I don't think we'll crack the top 4 this season, but I'm certainly optimistic about the future. I wish we weren't willing to fork out nearly 50 million for Sigurdsson, though. Good player and all, but he's worth maybe half that. Still, I guess those are the prices you have to pay these days.

Wolves have fully evolved into Portugal over the summer, still not sure how it will all work out. Some clogger from Burton will probably break Neves' leg at some point.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yall ready for Huddersfield to storm the BPL?

You'd better believe it, we're on the PL image on the thread now, it's real baby.

Got a cheeky ACCA on the EFL today, proper getting starts next week.

Oh man I've missed football this summer. Not even that long ago but it feels like it's been a long wait since the play offs.

Jarnet87

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and Footygaf has burned so very bright.

Excited to see what Mou does this year. He's got a powerful and mobile striker now, he's got his DM to control the midfield. Unleash Pogba.

Do Liverpool fans think Emre Can will be a big loss if we lose him? I think Liverpool should cash in if Juventus is looking to spend £34 million on him since he only has a year left on his contract. I don't see him signing a new contract, if he was going to do it, he would have done it already. I'll be surprised if he does.

TheChamp

Wolves have fully evolved into Portugal over the summer, still not sure how it will all work out. Some clogger from Burton will probably break Neves' leg at some point.

I dont think they will cut it in the Championship to be honest league is so physical.. its more of a grind to get promotion than it is skill

A new season is finally here! Going to Psv - Az as the opener. Not expecting much since this Psv is bad news...

This is the year I will make it a goal to follow al the mayor competitions live. Been slacking there past few years

Edit: yeah thought that was the reason, don't really like the kit myself but isn't that bad. Can see some fans disliking it for the color haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom