• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Mikeside

Ya'll should give Johnny Marr's latest album a listen. It's pretty great

I'll add it to my All Access when I get home, cheers!

Any fans of The Shins in here?
I absolutely loved Oh, Inverted World and Chutes Too Narrow from the off, but it took years for me to 'get' Wincing the Night Away, but once it stuck I loved it.
Port of Morrow is a lot like Wincing, I think, but it's a far better realized album - the tour for it was fantastic as well. I hope we're not going to be stuck for years waiting for the next one again.

jred2k

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544422

^There's a previous thread about indie/alt music as well.

Alt rock makes up a majority of the music I listen to. Looking forward to going through this thread and picking up some new artists. Can anyone recommend some good albums from the Talking Heads to start out? The more I listen to them the more I like them.

I went years not liking The Shins or Death Cab for Cutie, but I've started to enjoy both of them lately.

I'm surprised this thread got this far without a mention of Circa Survive. I'm behind on them, but I really enjoyed Juturna and On Letting Go.

amnesiac

I'll add it to my All Access when I get home, cheers!

Any fans of The Shins in here?
I absolutely loved Oh, Inverted World and Chutes Too Narrow from the off, but it took years for me to 'get' Wincing the Night Away, but once it stuck I loved it.
Port of Morrow is a lot like Wincing, I think, but it's a far better realized album - the tour for it was fantastic as well. I hope we're not going to be stuck for years waiting for the next one again.

Big fan of Chutes Too Narrow.

Famassu

One of the best Finnish alt rock bands. Kind of quirky and I'm sure not everyone appreciates their style but if it "clicks" with you, then they are an incredible band. And they are incredible live and none of their albums so far sound exactly the same:

Sydän, sydän - Kolme kysymystä, kaksi vastausta (the name in English: Heart, heart - Three questions, two answers)
Sydän, sydän - Keskusta (Heart, heart - Downtown)
Sydän, sydän - Ducato
Sydän, sydän - Viimeinen aamu (Heart, Heart - The Last Morning, this might sound a bit weird because that dude is playing the guitar on top of the actual song)

Another Finnish one (small one from my town!) that does it own thing, their repertoire ranging from 30 second punk songs to almost-ballads & some more prog rock-ish stuff. Note: even if the name has JC in it, it's in no way religious :p

Tuomas Henrikin Jeesuksen Kristuksen Bändi - Hölmö (Tuomas Henrik's Jesus Christ's Band - Fool)
Tuomas Henrikin Jeesuksen Kristuksen Bändi - Käpytemppeli (Tuomas Henrik's Jesus Christ's Band - Cone temple)
Tuomas Henrikin Jeesuksen Kristuksen Bändi - Jätesäkillinen Kuolleita Lokkeja (Tuomas Henrik's Jesus Christ's Band - Garbage bag full of dead seagulls)
Tuomas Henrikin Jeesuksen Kristuksen Bändi - Narkkarit Bailaamaan (Tuomas Henrik's Jesus Christ's Band - Taking junkies to party)

faridmon

Yeah, one of my favourite records this year, Some catchy guitar play!

This year have been great for Post-Punk (revival) stuff:

Lillies and Remains: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXN1A8-Oujo
Slowness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzjS4AOXMN4
Savages: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kebq-cENNn0
La Femme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MAQxOBiD6A
Life in Film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru_M-WJYyUU
Neils Childeren: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmKueOF7DCc
Buffalo '3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U7en9P4dT4
Editors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQ2gTkV-GM
Estereotypo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_t3S2MWf_Y
Selebrities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrVQS_76dvg
A Place to Bury Strangers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF7lLloilmE

all of above have released some amazing and fantastic albums.

Also next month:

Crystal stilts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6GSs72mgk
The Horrors: tba

The best year for post-punk in like 20 years or so.

an almost classic:

Sigur Ros - ( ) (2002)

30546579.jpg

This is one of my favourite albums ever, can't wait to see them this November

Is it cool to post upcoming gigs we're going to here?

Lady Lamb the Beekeeper - Oct 16
God is an Astronaut - Oct 26
Russian Circles & Chelsea Wolfe - Oct 27
The National - Nov 10
Frightened Rabbit - Nov 14
Sigur Ros - Nov 16
Television - Nov 21
Yo La Tengo - Dec 5
Villagers - Dec 17

So excited to see Television especially

The National - Nov 10
Sigur Ros - Nov 16
Television - Nov 21
Yo La Tengo - Dec 5
Villagers - Dec 17

Wait, Television still exist?

amnesiac

The National - Nov 10
Sigur Ros - Nov 16
Television - Nov 21
Yo La Tengo - Dec 5
Villagers - Dec 17

I'm so mad. I have the chance to see The National, Sigur Ros, Washed Out, Youth Lagoon and more a month from now but nobody I know like them.

Wait, Television still exist?

https://www.songkick.com/artists/217377-television/calendar

I'm so mad. I have the chance to see The National, Sigur Ros, Washed Out, Youth Lagoon and more a month from now but nobody I know like them.

I used to worry about that, then I realised I was wasting my life and missing bands who I'd never get to see again because my friends have shit taste, been going to concerts alone ever since (except when I can go with my girlfriend but she's studying abroad so...)

Saw National earlier this summer, really amazing show

I notice that a lot of people are mentioning Radiohead. I always feel left out when people talk of their music genius, because I can never get into OK Computer! I always miss something, or my ears just lack the golden touch or something.

I realize that this is asking a lot, but can somebody really give me some tips on how the heck I'm suppose to get into their music? I've tried so many times, but I can never grasp exactly how. It's incredibly frustrating, to say the least. Who should I start with, what kind of music should I study, and how should I study it?

Help me out! Introduce me to their genius! I need the key!

InfernoNR

*snip*

Well, I would usually cite Ok Computer as the best introduction to Radiohead's sound, however there are other alternatives. It all depends on what kind of music you enjoy, I suppose.

If you like more straightforward rock, try out The Bends next and see if that hooks you.
If you like more experimental, darker in theme rock/electronica then give Hail to the Thief a shot.
If you enjoy more atmospheric, orchestral rock then listen to In Rainbows and see if it grabs you.

edit: Listening to their music on headphones may help, as there are a lot of subtle nuances in their work that unfold over time

Good luck!

Well, I would usually cite Ok Computer as the best introduction to Radiohead's sound, however there are other alternatives. It all depends on what kind of music you enjoy, I suppose.

If you like more straightforward rock, try out The Bends next and see if that hooks you.
If you like more experimental, darker in theme rock/electronica then give Hail to the Thief a shot.
If you enjoy more atmospheric, orchestral rock then listen to In Rainbows and see if it grabs you.

edit: Listening to their music on headphones may help, as there are a lot of subtle nuances in their work that unfold over time

Good luck!

Sweet. I think I'll probably give The Bends a shot, then maybe listen to OK Computer. Any influences I should start with? I mean, I already enjoy Aphex Twin, so that may be a good artist to influence your musical state of mind before trying to tackle Radiohead.

Believe me, I own a modestly good pair of head phones at least. Sennheiser is excellent. I've never been able to use a different pair for the last four years.

I notice that a lot of people are mentioning Radiohead. I always feel left out when people talk of their music genius, because I can never get into OK Computer! I always miss something, or my ears just lack the golden touch or something.

I realize that this is asking a lot, but can somebody really give me some tips on how the heck I'm suppose to get into their music? I've tried so many times, but I can never grasp exactly how. It's incredibly frustrating, to say the least. Who should I start with, what kind of music should I study, and how should I study it?

Didn't like Radiohead until I heard Everything In Its Right Place and then they just clicked

InfernoNR

Sweet. *snip*

I can't comment on Radiohead's influences, but I know Muse's earlier work has been dubbed as "Radiohead-lite" by some. Origin of Symmetry or Absolution might work well as a warm up for Radiohead, I know they did for me. Before listening to Muse, I could never get into Radiohead, I even disliked them.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I was thinking about doing this for a while : )

Yeah me too :)

What's good from this year then folks? The mid-year best of music thread kinda bummed me out, I must have listened to a hundred songs and it was vastly shit, made me pretty sad. Whatever is in the zeitgeist at the moment, it's not doing much for me. Far too ethereal and lacking in tunes.

I feel old :|

New Slow Club and Los Campensinos albums soon though I hope, they'll save me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I can't comment on Radiohead's influences, but I know Muse's earlier work has been dubbed as "Radiohead-lite" by some. Origin of Symmetry or Absolution might work well as a warm up for Radiohead, I know they did for me. Before listening to Muse, I could never get into Radiohead, I even disliked them.

Only really lazy people make the Radiohead comparisons (esp Showbiz era) - Jeff Buckley is a much much more apt comparison.

Honestly this is a problem with me too. I was trying to expand my taste in music and was looking up best albums of... in google and several of their albums kept popping up so I picked up OK Computer and I still kind of dont get it. Ill pick up another album and see if it clicks a little better with me.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Yeah me too :)

What's good from this year then folks? The mid-year best of music thread kinda bummed me out, I must have listened to a hundred songs and it was vastly shit, made me pretty sad. Whatever is in the zeitgeist at the moment, it's not doing much for me. Far too ethereal and lacking in tunes.

I feel old :|

New Slow Club and Los Campensinos albums soon though I hope, they'll save me.

I've really liked Buke & Gase's new album, General Dome. The new Queens of the Stone Age is pretty decent too, I find.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Honestly this is a problem with me too. I was trying to expand my taste in music and was looking up best albums of... in google and several of their albums kept popping up so I picked up OK Computer and I still kind of dont get it. Ill pick up another album and see if it clicks a little better with me.

Not trying to be flippant, but what exactly are you not getting? It's purposefully a bit cold I guess, but it's an atmospheric and vital album with some great songs on it.

In Rainbows would probably be their most accessible recent album, everyone else will mention the Bends too.

But really, they don't have to be for everyone. What stuff do you listen to usually?

InfernoNR

Only really lazy people make the Radiohead comparisons (esp Showbiz era) - Jeff Buckley is a much much more apt comparison.

Musically, sure, but Muse definitely prepared my musical palate for the more intricate Radiohead very well. And it's interesting you mention Jeff Buckley, could you recommend an album or two from him to start at for those who haven't listened to him?

I would say that I share a taste for Shoegazing, Alternative Rock, and Electronic, and those sort of musicians influenced Radiohead a ton. I also love Pink Floyd.

I'll just fire up OK Computer again. I love Subterranean Homesick Alien

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've really liked Buke & Gase's new album, General Dome. The new Queens of the Stone Age is pretty decent too, I find.

Holy crap, Buke a Gase make a good first impression, I feel my pupils dilating listening to Houdini Crush here. LOVE IT.

The new Queens album has to be really really fucking special to make up for their last few records though, they burned up their goodwill with me.

Musically, sure, but Muse definitely prepared my musical palate for the more intricate Radiohead very well. And it's interesting you mention Jeff Buckley, could you recommend an album or two from him to start at for those who haven't listened to him?

Yeah, I guess I can see Muse as an decent intro band. Not got much in the way of subtlety these days though IMO, I miss the Showbiz/Oranges era. Yes Please is the most epic Muse song that nobody knows.

As for Jeff Buckley, the one and only album is Grace. It's very early 90s but his voice is uh-fuckin-mazin. A taster - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtS0rwQK_pI

... or actually, if you want to be spellbound for ten minutes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQm1cX8uWxE

Not trying to be flippant, but what exactly are you not getting? It's purposefully a bit cold I guess, but it's an atmospheric and vital album with some great songs on it.

In Rainbows would probably be their most accessible recent album, everyone else will mention the Bends too.

But really, they don't have to be for everyone. What stuff do you listen to usually?

It wasn't that it sounded cold it was more just boring I guess? There wasn't anything tha really grabbed me on the album but I did like Paranoid Android.

I usually listen to a mix or Rock and Hip Hop. I really like A Perfect Circle, Deftones, Tool, Muse and a lot of others. For Hip Hop I dont think I fit into any particular sub genre, Ill listen to anything from Ice Cube and NWA to Kanye West and Pusha T. I like to diversify and find new stuff.

I would be incredibly disappointed if there weren't a bunch of folks who love The Smiths in here.
Though, unfortunately, I don't really know all that much of their music. Care to hit me up with an "unknown Smiths tracks playlist"? I'd really enjoy that.

Damn, that's a tough question. I would say just start with The Queen is Dead, and if you enjoy that give Louder Than Bombs a shot. All of their albums are worth listening to, but those are the two essential albums for me.

But if you were to ask me, their discography is near flawless, so all of their material demands listening, period.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
An almost classic?
That's a classic where I come from.

Yoooooooo.... yoooo zye lo.... yooooo zye lo fo...

ah fuck off Jonsi :p

I've been listening to a lot of Reuben lately - local rock gods that didn't quite make it, but released 3 amazing albums along the way.

Yeah boy! Listened to a good chunk of We Should Have Gone to University today. Miss that band so fuckin much.

It wasn't that it sounded cold it was more just boring I guess? There wasn't anything tha really grabbed me on the album but I did like Paranoid Android.

I usually listen to a mix or Rock and Hip Hop. I really like A Perfect Circle, Deftones, Tool, Muse and a lot of others. For Hip Hop I dont think I fit into any particular sub genre, Ill listen to anything from Ice Cube and NWA to Kanye West and Pusha T. I like to diversify and find new stuff.

Give In Rainbows a shot then. If you don't like that then you simply don't like Radiohead, no biggie :)

Give In Rainbows a shot then. If you don't like that then you simply don't like Radiohead, no biggie :)

Cool you think that would be the best one to check out then? I pick up new cds every other Friday cause I like to give a local record store some business. Im doing my best to make sure the next generation doesnt think a record store is iTunes.

pablo honey is radiohead's second best album

this is an absolute fact

do not try to dispute this with me since you would be incorrect

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Cool you think that would be the best one to check out then? I pick up new cds every other Friday cause I like to give a local record store some business. Im doing my best to make sure the next generation doesnt think a record store is iTunes.

It's my favourite by far, and I've been listening to them since the 90s. Beautifully recorded, great songs.

I used to hate Radiohead but then I heard Reckoner

Looks at name. Looks at avatar.

I don't believe you :p

--
On a seriously indie tip, I wish you could 'like' bands on bandcamp without actually buying the music. So much stuff I just want to bookmark and come back to but I always forget about it...

pablo honey is radiohead's second best album

this is an absolute fact

do not try to dispute this with me since you would be incorrect

Pablo Honey reminds me vividly and awkwardly of being 15 years old. Trufacks.

InfernoNR

\

Yeah, I guess I can see Muse as an decent intro band. Not got much in the way of subtlety these days though IMO, I miss the Showbiz/Oranges era.

Thanks. And I agree, I don't think Muse has released anything worth listening to since Black Holes and Revelations, but that's just me. Showbiz/Origin/Absolution/BH&R was a great stint they had going, though.

denx

I would say that I share a taste for Shoegazing, Alternative Rock, and Electronic, and those sort of musicians influenced Radiohead a ton. I also love Pink Floyd.

I'll just fire up OK Computer again. I love Subterranean Homesick Alien

Given your taste, I would suggest you try Kid A, (the best Radiohead album imo) Amnesiac and In Rainbows. Don't go for Hail to the Thief yet. It's OK, but it's usually considered among the weakest Radiohead albums.

EDIT: The Bends also if you just want to hear Radiohead rocking out.

To clarify, The Bends is Radiohead pretty much at the peak of their guitar rock out powers.

Kid A and Amnesiac are Radiohead going for a darker, colder, more emotionally distant and abstract electronic-influenced sound.

In Rainbows is Radiohead bringing sounds from different points of their career into a pretty unified whole. You will hear rock out moments, some weirdly danceable rythms, sweet ballads, and use of electronics and ambient sounds to give the songs a more textured, ethereal sound. A lot of the songs also have a sweet soul-influenced vibe to them. Overall, In Rainbows is kind of the "happier" Radiohead release yet.

InfernoNR

For those of you looking forward to Okkervil River's new album The Silver Gymnasium, they just put out an adventure game based off of the album's concept (?). Check it out here. I've been having fun with it and enjoying the music

King_Moc

Banned
These are the ones that stand out as probably being my favourite albums right now.

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

images

these have never made much of an impact in the US and are well worth checking out. Especially this album. Bilious, hateful punk/post punk. And absolutely first fucking class. I'm also seeing them live for the 20th time next month.

Sonic Youth - Sister

images

A snapshot of Sonic Youth at a crossroads between the full on noise, avant garde records they did initially, and the stuff they did later with actual songs. Even so, it's probably the easiest SY album to actually 'get into'.

And You Will Know Us By The Trail of the Dead... - Source Tags and Codes

images

The Best Sonic Youth album that Sonic Youth forgot to record.

Sleater-Kinney - The Hot Rock

images

I'm gutted that i only heard these a couple of years ago. Seven awesome albums ranging between Riot Grrl style punk, Rock and Indie. Infectious melodies and some fantastic, full on vocals.

recently i've also been listening to Thee Oh Sees, Fucked Up, Metz, Nick Cave, Deerhunter, Bleached and plenty else. It's been an very alt-rock few months for me.

Seconded. this is an excellent album and far better than his other post Smiths stuff would lead you to believe. He's really good live too.

Listen to OK Computer a few times with headphones. There's a lot of intertwining melodies that you won't notice until you do, but once you've noticed them they'll stay with you forever. An amazing album.

gutshot

This thread is great. Listened to and enjoyed most of the bands mentioned in here.

Recently I've been getting into a lot of synth pop/indietronica/whateveryouwannacallit. Bands like:

The Naked and Famous
Passion Pit
Capital Cities
Bastille
Parade of Lights
Smallpools

Any one else obsessed with this subgenre?

BJK

Speaking of Paramore where are they now? Didn't two guys leave or something?

The Farro brothers (drums, guitar) left after the last album & tour. There was an airing of grievances and much drama.

The remainder of the band released a trio of singles through their website in late 2011. Their self-titled album was released back in April. If you're a fan of their previous work, it's worth tracking down.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
For bands whose name starts with "The" I've been enjoying I See Seaweed by The Drones, and The Odds by The Evens. I don't find the albums to be wall-to-wall awesome, but overall they've been rubbing me the right way. =) Anyone else given them a listen?

Top Bottom