• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Persona" YouTube clips getting hit by copyright claims from... a Russian actress?

Lyot

I want to kill

russian soldiers in COD

fuck you google btw

Jamix012 said:
This is some crazy shit. My question though is: why? Does anyone have any legitimate theories?

According to a link previously posted, it could be a scamming/fishing strategy.

Raonak

Banned
This is some crazy shit. My question though is: why? Does anyone have any legitimate theories?

because of index's bankrupcy, a potential buyer of atlus is now trying to remove all persona, and some catherine & SMT yt videos in an effort to devalue the IP.

throw her in a tv
I lol'd more than I should ha-
The Hiimdaisy comic dubs are down too.
1311031-psyched_dojima.jpg

PhoenonX

Neo Member
I got my videos and even my youtube account at http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenonX taken down because of this.

uMDhgzd.png

1800 subscribers, 500 video uploads, almost 5000 favorited videos, down the drain. I'm not sure what I can do about this as I submitted a false claim to youtube and the above image is what I got and now I'm just waiting and made a new account in the meantime. Unfortunately, they have my personal info from the counterclaim as well.

After looking through the account reporting options it seems you can only report something for copyright infringement if you are the owner of the copyright.

Which means this person would need to claim that they own the property in question.

This would be legitimate if Atlus(iirc), the owner of the Persona brand made the claim.

Isn't claiming another's copyright as your own an infringement of copyright? I don't think Atlus would like that.

Sophia

Yeah, seriously. It seems that the youtube community can't accomplish anything without wishing someone severe harm. Some of those comments are disgusting.

Welcome to the nature of the internet. Outlet for anger + few repercussions = the kind of comments you get on YouTube.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, you can still claim fair use and still have access to everything, even if you submit a counter-notification. That's happened to a lot of people on YT, which is fine.

Atlus doesn't really seem to take issue with people putting stuff up since it looks like at times they see it as promotion.

I got my videos and even my youtube account at http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenonX taken down because of this.
It's ludicrous that you got a gameplay video taken down because of that.

I had no idea you were a member of GAF. I just noticed your tweet about it when I searched for info on Twitter. Was thinking of RTing you until Noi made the thread.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
After looking through the account reporting options it seems you can only report something for copyright infringement if you are the owner of the copyright.

Which means this person would need to claim that they own the property in question.

This would be legitimate if Atlus(iirc), the owner of the Persona brand made the claim.

Isn't claiming another's copyright as your own an infringement of copyright? I don't think Atlus would like that.

Not for youtube.

Most famously, they even got Nasa's videos taken down.

You just have to file a complain and google does the rest.

PhoenonX

Neo Member
Well, you can still claim fair use and still have access to everything, even if you submit a counter-notification. That's happened to a lot of people on YT, which is fine.

Atlus doesn't really seem to take issue with people putting stuff up since it looks like at times they see it as promotion.

It's ludicrous that you got a gameplay video taken down because of that.

I had no idea you were a member of GAF. I just noticed your tweet about it when I searched for info on Twitter. Was thinking of RTing you until Noi made the thread.

Ahah yeah I do, I just don't post here very much, I thought me and Master LL were the only ones that got hit until now which is kind of a relief it's not.

kewlmyc

Well, this sure escalated quickly. Since she's targeting SMT also, this can't be blamed on miscommunication either.

I wonder what's really going on if Atlus isn't responding to it. It has apparently been going on since yesterday.

esoterika

Neo Member
My SMT/Persona piano videos are safe for now. Should I do anything, like rename them temporarily? Or just hope for the best?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ahah yeah I do, I just don't post here very much, I thought me and Master LL were the only ones that got hit until now which is kind of a relief it's not.
Yeah, I heard LL's Elizabeth video got taken down which made me raise my eyebrows since I thought it was limited to OSTs, but nope. Now it's a whole assortment of things.

Not for youtube.

Most famously, they even got Nasa's videos taken down.

You just have to file a complain and google does the rest.

That's stupid.

I flagged all of the video's under;

Spam or misleading
Scams / fraud

This is what I put down. It probably won't accomplish anything but I figure it's better than nothing.

"This account is attempting to phish for personal details by making copyright claims against channels and videos that the claim maker does not actually have. By forcing affected accounts to make counterclaims they are collecting personal data for illegal uses. I am flagging all of this accounts videos as they are dummy content in order to appear legitimate.".

Dekopin

Neo Member
There's gotta be something we can do to stop this, or at least make the right people aware.

Complain to Atlus, write a calm and detailed letter to the actress herself. I don't know why everyone is wishing harm upon her. I highly doubt it was her fault this happened. It is more likely due to a law team that really needs to be fired.

Youtube and Google don't punish people for casting as wide a net as possible. That's how you get bullshit like this and MS submitting takedown links for Open Office.

Despera

Banned
Well, this sure escalated quickly. Since she's targeting SMT also, this can't be blamed on miscommunication either.

I wonder what's really going on if Atlus isn't responding to it. It has apparently been going on since yesterday.
Maybe Index sold off Atlus to a Russian company...

Desaan

Well for a start Youtube need to wake the fuck up and actually physically validate copyright claims rather than this automated strike bullshit, all this does is show people how easy it is to get channels falsely shut down by filing false claims and fish for personal data.

Webby111

Neo Member
Guys I have spoke to her on the phone and by email.. Don't worry I wasn't threatening her or anything I was politely trying to find out what is happening. She basically has said.

You know there's nothing I stated ... it's a mistake ..

I asked her if she can somehow remove the copyright claims (I don't know youtubeGAF help???)

She replied with
To be honest .. I do not know how I do it .. I do not want the video to remove .. what to do about it?? .. hope people calmed down ...)

i-Lo

Don't blame the copyright troll blame the unbelievably disgusting oversight and laziness of YT that let this happen. I am still reeling from the fact that all you need to shut down something or someone's account is a claim w/o context.

Then again fuck the asshole copyright troll as well.

zeopower6

It might be, but Google will not change anything.

Youtube has no competition which means they can do as they want. What are you gonna do, upload on Dailymotion?

I remember a few big names getting their accounts taken down due to false claims. They got their stuff back up within about a week or so. This is a much wider issue though...

Top Bottom