• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron's TITANIC |OT| Collide With Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

There's a sequence of three shots in Titanic hit the perfect blend of tragedy, action, narrative and spectacle, near the end. Right after the Captain's demise as the ocean bursts in around him, the action transitions from the melee for the boats to the rising rear of the ship as panic sends those still on the ship in that direction. A shot panning up from scores fighting for the boats, tilting up. Then a mind-boggling shot moving along the length of the ship, and finally a shot from that point over, zooming in on our heroes and re-establishing the narrative focus on them, all set to an incredible cue in the score (re-used for the dome implosion).

In all my viewings I always end up with tears crawling down my face after those shots, partly from the build of emotion from the Nearer My God to Thee sequence, and partly from the sheer awe of those moments. The terms 'epic' and 'spectacle' and 'scale' are tossed around a lot when discussing Titanic, and they fit, but I've never seen anything, in any film, that really hit it out of the park as hard as Cameron does in those moments, where the sheer scale of it all is just overwhelming, beautiful, and terrifying.

There's a sequence of three shots in Titanic hit the perfect blend of tragedy, action, narrative and spectacle, near the end. Right after the Captain's demise as the ocean bursts in around him, the action transitions from the melee for the boats to the rising rear of the ship as panic sends those still on the ship in that direction. A shot panning up from scores fighting for the boats, tilting up. Then a mind-boggling shot moving along the length of the ship, and finally a shot from that point over, zooming in on our heroes and re-establishing the narrative focus on them, all set to an incredible cue in the score (re-used for the dome implosion).

In all my viewings I always end up with tears crawling down my face after those shots, partly from the build of emotion from the Nearer My God to Thee sequence, and partly from the sheer awe of those moments. The terms 'epic' and 'spectacle' and 'scale' are tossed around a lot when discussing Titanic, and they fit, but I've never seen anything, in any film, that really hit it out of the park as hard as Cameron does in those moments, where the sheer scale of it all is just overwhelming, beautiful, and terrifying.

For me it's always the 'Unwilling to stay, unwilling to leave moment.' The perfect choice of shots. Horner's score coming in at exactly the right moment and the sound design with that acute focus on hearing the ropes going taught every time the boat is lowered really puts you in the boat with Rose and underscores the utter helplessness of seeing what very convincingly looks like the last dying memory of a loved one. The flare going off in the background is the magic that re-enforces a very personal and intimate moment that ultimately drowns out the very large-scale chaos around them.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I wonder if Cameron will update his film to make the ship break up part more accurate now. He already messed with the filters so why not? :x

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
He's decided not to change anything even though he's a super perfectionist and it's going to bother him.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I've honestly always wondered why this would not have been an option if it's as big it was supposed to have been.

Well, like they said in the program... they had a hard enough time getting people into lifeboats. Imagine the reaction if people were asked to jump onto an iceberg.

GhaleonEB

For me it's always the 'Unwilling to stay, unwilling to leave moment.' The perfect choice of shots. Horner's score coming in at exactly the right moment and the sound design with that acute focus on hearing the ropes going taught every time the boat is lowered really puts you in the boat with Rose and underscores the utter helplessness of seeing what very convincingly looks like the last dying memory of a loved one. The flare going off in the background is the magic that re-enforces a very personal and intimate moment that ultimately drowns out the very large-scale chaos around them.

That's the scene that nails the romantic and the tragic, absolutely. I'm a wreak by the time it's through; it's so perfect in each moment. The gradual fade out of the sound as the music moves to the fore and the emotion of what's happening starts to hit home. The cutting, filming and score as they work their way through the ship to meet is simply perfect. Gawd.

It, the dissolve on the flying scene, the pull back off Rose after the sinking, and the shots I described are probably my favorite in the film, the ones that hit me the hardest.

There's something in the composition of this shot that gets me every time. I can't put my finger on it, but more than any other in the film it's where I really get a lump in my throat (it progresses from there). The video quality I found on youtube was crummy, but it's this one:

rose.png

ZOMG I need those Avatar sequels now. I need some more Cameron, goddammit. Plus the hope is that in (what I'm guessing will be the third film), we will actually get some dire/tragic stuff between Jake and Neytiri.

What I always liked about Cameron is that you would never want to be one of his leading male characters. They have a short life expectancy.

When Jake started choking to death in Avatar, it took me completely by surprise and a big part of me thought 'Oh, shit. He's going to do it again!' Then all was fine and that small part of me was quietly disappointed, lulz.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That's the scene that nails the romantic and the tragic, absolutely. I'm a wreak by the time it's through; it's so perfect in each moment. The gradual fade out of the sound as the music moves to the fore and the emotion of what's happening starts to hit home. The cutting, filming and score as they work their way through the ship to meet is simply perfect. Gawd.

It, the dissolve on the flying scene, the pull back off Rose after the sinking, and the shots I described are probably my favorite in the film, the ones that hit me the hardest.

There's something in the composition of this shot that gets me every time. I can't put my finger on it, but more than any other in the film it's where I really get a lump in my throat (it progresses from there). The video quality I found on youtube was crummy, but it's this one:

rose.png

For me probably the saddest scene aside from the Nearer my God to thee montage through the sinking of the ship/ship break up... when Rose realizes Jack is dead and the music starts playing... dear lord, every time I can't put help feel a deep sadness. Later on too when old Rose talks about 1500 people in the water... and then again at the very end of the movie when she's "sleeping" and the camera goes through the wreck of Titanic.

From the iceberg on the film becomes something else. It's so much above anything I can really think of in terms of great film making.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Mine is the last scene, on the grand staircase, when Leo turns around and everyone claps... I can usually hold out until then, and even watching in 3D I had to focus on 'other' aspects of that scene to stop myself..

Mine is the last scene, on the grand staircase, when Leo turns around and everyone claps... I can usually hold out until then, and even watching in 3D I had to focus on 'other' aspects of that scene to stop myself..

That scene destroys everyone. It seems cheesy on a surface narrative level, but the execution and idea of this random dying dream sequence is goddamn inspired. I just think 'Where the hell did he pull that out of?'

GhaleonEB

That scene destroys everyone. It seems cheesy on a surface narrative level, but the execution and idea of this random dying dream sequence is goddamn inspired. I just think 'Where the hell did he pull that out of?'

Yeah. I still think it's as perfect an ending as has been filmed.

I'm generally a sobbing mess long before - not yet recovered from Rose's realization of Jack's death and the following scenes - but I lose it completely when the camera pans over the photographs, settling on Rose riding the horse on the surf, roller coaster in the background. I'm a blubbering fool by the time we get to the final pan toward the dome (the 4th in the film, which completes Titanic's and Rose's arcs in one shot). So many themes, visual and otherwise, come together in that shot it's nothing short of inspired.

It was the second time my kids have seen me crying. (The first was when one of them hit me in the balls so hard I wanted to die.) I could barely talk to them for five minutes after we got through.

rose.png
I dunno. I never came close to crying in Titanic. The crummy dialogue really does it in for me, I think, and takes me out of the moment. Everything else is great, though: music, shot composition, set design, etc.

I honestly forgot how many times Jack says Rose's name during the end. It all started with Jack getting framed for stealing the diamond, and he continually yells out "Rose! Rose!" and does so all the way until the end of the movie. Some people will find that endearing, I found it a little too much.

GhaleonEB

I dunno. I never came close to crying in Titanic. The crummy dialogue really does it in for me, I think, and takes me out of the moment. Everything else is great, though: music, shot composition, set design, etc.
There are scenes with poor dialog in the film, but that's not one of them. It's all very well played; and besides, the heart of the sequence is wordless. There are certainly some clunkers in the film but you've got a heart of iron if that scene doesn't get you even a bit.

Shiv47

The special last night on Nat Geo was pretty interesting, but putting up with Cameron almost made me turn it off. Even when he's enthusiastic about something he's an asshole. Some interesting stuff though. I imagine the one with Ballard tonight will be similarly irritating, but in Ballard's "stop raping the Titanic site" way. I just want to see the bets possible footage of the wreck site, without editorializing or egomania. Is that too much to ask?

There are scenes with poor dialog in the film, but that's not one of them. It's all very well played; and besides, the heart of the sequence is wordless. There are certainly some clunkers in the film but you've got a heart of iron if that scene doesn't get you even a bit.
I was kind of using that scene as a pivot to talk about the movie overall and how, despite my feelings about the dialogue, the movie is able to pull its punches because it's very good at doing almost everything else (music, etc). I said in my first post coming out of the movie that, despite whatever the movie lacks in executing its love story, the ending is magnificent and it does tug at your heart. It's my favorite "love scene" out of the entire movie, actually (when neither character speaks, lol).

I dunno. Sloppy posting on my part. This post is probably sloppy too.

DrEvil

This is an amazing article on the 3D conversion process and techniques.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/124965-titanic-how-do-you-convert-a-movie-to-3d-anyway

No, this is an article on how to make crummy 3D Conversions (like clash of the titans)... What I want to see is how they did some of the depth stuff in the submersible, and on old-rose's face.. I have to believe there was some 3d image mapping going on there.. the Titanic Conversion went way beyond simple parallaxing.

I just love people calling Cameron an asshole because he's enthusiastic, knows his shit and has an ego (and all of us do lol). Seen the movie today, have seen it about ten times before and it was like seeing it for the very first time.

The room was packed as hell, and it was exceptional. It looks like the movie has been released like two years ago. Beautiful remaster, the 3D is fantastic, exceptional depth, it seems toned down in the middle of the movie, and cranked up at the beginning and when all hell starts breaking loose, those corridors (Man, a fucking corridor) looked amazing, you were THERE, just a totally different experience from seeing it in 2D.

The movie hasn't aged a bit, it feels just as emotionally powerful as it was when it was released. I was just so engrossed by the movie, Cameron's directing is outstanding, such class, sensitivity, beauty. This is pure cinematic heaven, and seeing this movie at just 7,5/10 on IMDB is a travesty, lots of Cameron haters I reckon. Just the combination of the score, shots everything, it's THAT powerful.

Tears came at usual key moments. I was actually surprised to find myself shedding a few tears when Jack is drawing Rose's picture, just the music, shots focusing on Leo's eyes, the drawing appearing, the lighting.

The whole part when the ship starts to sink is just out of this world, so much emotion. Oh, and the scene with Rose sitting in the life boat, it just kills me. Those fucking shots as the boat is lowering down, Jack being further and further away as we are descending into the water, and those fuckin flares exploding in the sky right behind him, it just KILLS ME.

And of course, the whole scene in the water with Jack just shaking all around the place, and right after that, when she finds him dead, and the main theme just comes in, incredibly beautiful.

And as said above, very last scene with the dream sequence. Di Caprio is mind blowing really, I checked to see if he was nominated at the Oscars for this since I didnt remember, and I'm floored to see that it pretty much went unnoticed prize wise. It's so weird seeing him so young and skinny, but I'm glad to see that he seems back to his top level in The Great Gastby, he looks so similar on the set pictures.

Winslet is so good too, really, and I usually don't give a shit about female characters.
Great cast all around.

This is a masterpiece, those who say otherwise are, I fear, missing the point.

Cousteau

Gonna go this Saturday night April 14th to the last showing. It'll be exactly 100 years to the day when it hit the iceberg and sunk.Should be really close to the exact time too. 2:20am.

DrEvil

Gonna go this Saturday night April 14th to the last showing. It'll be exactly 100 years to the day when it hit the iceberg and sunk.Should be really close to the exact time too. 2:20am.

Thats when you unlock the special alternate ending
Where the Titanic doesn't sink, Jack lives, and they become rich off the proceeds from the Heart of the Ocean

Shiv47

I just love people calling Cameron an asshole because he's enthusiastic, knows his shit and has an ego (and all of us do lol). Seen the movie today, have seen it about ten times before and it was like seeing it for the very first time.

<snipped>

This is a masterpiece, those who say otherwise are, I fear, missing the point.

Assuming the first bit is directed at my comment above, sorry! He just comes off like a smug asshole. Nothing hater about it. I've liked and disliked his movies, and couldn't give a shit about him otherwise. He's done good work in exploring the Titanic, regardless of his personality.

And I just love comments like the last line, which try to categorically make an objective statement about something utterly subjective. Guess what? I think it's a shitpile of a movie, with a terrible script and paper-thin, utterly cliche characters that no one in their right mind should give a damn about. Guess I missed the point.

strafer

We don't have a release date for the Blu-ray right? You would think that april 15th would be th obvious one but..yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom