• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
B (and C?) locked, if memory serves.

Region-free players are as ubiquitous now as they were in the heyday of DVD, and given the number of quality catalog releases overseas that aren't making it out in the US, there aren't many good excuses not to buy one and be able to unshackle ourselves!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Eureka/MoC fall lineup:

"We've just announced the latest slate of films set for release in The Masters of Cinema Series & Eureka! Classics collection. Releases in the Masters of Cinema Series include one of Fellini’s final masterpieces I Clowns; the breakthrough film from director Sijun Suzuki, Youth of the Beast; Fritz Lang’s hugely influential story of intrigue, espionage, and blackmail, Spione; Raoul Walsh’s spectacular and award winning 1924 silent masterpiece The Thief of Baghdad starring Douglas Fairbanks; G.W Pabst’s 1929 masterwork starring screen icon Louise Brooks, Diary of a Lost Girl; the acclaimed silent era masterpiece from D.W. Griffith, Intolerance; and the 1934 film adaptation of Victor Hugo's novel of the same name, Raymond Bernard’s Les Misérables, starring Harry Baur. The Eureka Classics Collection sees the arrival of Blacula – the Complete Collection, the legacy of Dracula’s Soul Brother in a perfect midnight double bill featuring William Crain’s Blacula and Bob Kelljan’s Scream Blacula Scream starring Pam Grier (Jackie Brown).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is the Amazon sale a scheduled event? When was the last one...I have credit so I couldn't take part in the B&N sale.

My Twilight Time copies of Leave Her to Heaven and Major Dundee arrived yesterday. Very nice editions in terms of content though the cover art for the DVD version of Major Dundee was much better. Too bad The Big Heat and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia are both sold out, as they are the only other two Twilight Time releases I would want.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did Wild At Heart sell out too? Glad I got one, since I don't see it on the TT site anymore.

omgkitty

The Thin Blue Line

4xbYnTgSv5ZP_WHLZ61jtQRfzalupJNWrTzaOWLZjSeiOyOjTHtf4v9r2maKDRoazIy9ffbu4G8nQOUNMPJnKnPQ_Gxh2Txrv5XjuSvq9oZkSixgOmw=s0-d-e1-ft

Ridley327

I do have a personal bit of info to drop, now that I'm over the shock of meeting Terry Gilliam twice now at DragonCon this year. He mentioned in the first panel he did that he was going to be flying back after the convention to London to oversee the final check on Criterion's new edition of The Fisher King, which sounded like a definite 2015 title. He was also asked The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, but it didn't sound like they were working on that currently.

mattiewheels

Did anyone get the Herzog set from Shout? From whay I've read it sounds disappointing, but it has so much stuff I've never seen...

mattiewheels

I have it but I have not seen any of the films yet. What's supposed to be disappointing?
Yeah, apparently the British version if the set looks a lot more natural. Even the very positive bluray.com reviews mentioned how uneven and DNR'd the transfers were. I'd love to hear impressions if you get around to watching them.

So Criterion added a pretty good batch of movies to Hulu Plus (Watership Down, Scanners, The Brood, Judex, more) but they also added Kiarostami's Where Is My Friend's House? (their translation).

It's the first film in the Koker Trilogy and lays the groundwork for the other two masterpieces but it stands on its own well as one of the best movies about/starring children I've ever seen. The quality is pretty good, too, similar to the 35mm print I saw a few years ago. Hopefully it means their release of the trilogy is coming soon but if you have Hulu Plus I highly recommend it. It's even better if you speak Persian; the dialect they speak is just wonderful.

Speaking of Kiarostami, did anyone here pick up the bluray of The Wind Will Carry Us?

swoon

Anyone buy from the Cohen Film Collection?

i have their chabrol set and it's good, solid extras but it's not extravagant. they are reissuing that man from rio which i'm stoked about. i've also kept meaning to buy their vivien leigh collection, but haven't.

i have their chabrol set and it's good, solid extras but it's not extravagant. they are reissuing that man from rio which i'm stoked about. i've also kept meaning to buy their vivien leigh collection, but haven't.

That Man from Rio release is why I am asking. I'm going to pick it up.

I watched Safe waaaay back when it was first released (on VHS!!!).

I don't have good memories of it...Haynes' worst film IMO, I would think it would have been condemned to obscurity. I can't believe it's getting the Criterion treatment.

swoon

I watched Safe waaaay back when it was first released (on VHS!!!).

I don't have good memories of it...Haynes' worst film IMO, I would think it would have been condemned to obscurity. I can't believe it's getting the Criterion treatment.

the biggest failure are the extras - poison, while deserving a full release, could have been an extra a la soderbergh's underneath or while i'm sure it would have been impossible, it would have been great for them to pay a bunch of money and get the music rights for superstar.

Fox Mulder

Neat thread, I'm a criterion noob, so will have to read all this.

I've only got Godzilla and Thief blurays, but my local used bookstore has a bunch for $20 that I may dive into when I read up on some recommendations.

DiscoJon

Banned
Does the December line up seem kinda small to anyone else?

Non-Criterion related, I picked up Ghostbusters today. Looks great!

Rydeen

Neat thread, I'm a criterion noob, so will have to read all this.

I've only got Godzilla and Thief blurays, but my local used bookstore has a bunch for $20 that I may dive into when I read up on some recommendations.
Get House. Movie will grow on you, and it's a visual feast. I had it on dvd and after I got a blu-ray player it was my first Criterion blu.

Fox Mulder

Steamlord

So apparently the Criterion Eraserhead BD has a slight defect in one scene for whatever reason.
When Henry touches the Lady in the Radiator the screen is supposed to fade to white, but instead it just cuts to black for a few seconds, then resumes as normal.
Fortunately they're replacing copies that have already shipped. It looks like it's on backorder at the moment so at least no one else will have to deal with the inconvenience...but the wait is kind of annoying.

Downhome

Guys, it's time to bust our your older Criterion Collection Blu-ray titles and check on them to see if they still work or not. I am beyond pissed off at this. Earlier tonight I saw some people mentioning that certain titles from late 2009 to mid 2010 are already going bad. It's some sort of weird production screwup that is causing a browning/bronzing across the disc that either causes skipping, screwing up entire chapters, or just flat out kills the discs entirely, preventing them from even loading at all.

I hate to say that I have horrible news. I just went through all of my titles and I found six that have noticeable browning/bronzing.

The titles included here are from my personal collection, and these are the ones I have found so far that are afflicted with this issue. The titles are...

-M (2010, first printing)
-Monsoon Wedding (2009, first printing)
-Paris, Texas (2009, first printing)
-Summer Hours (2010, first printing)
-Walkabout (2010, first printing)

None of the above titles will load in any Blu-ray player that I own. They are all completely and totally dead Blu-ray discs now. My copy of Days of Heaven (2010, first printing) also has the the browning/bronzing effect that is starting to show up, but as of right now that disc will still load in my player and I can fast forward through the entire movie.

What are the others that I need to check? I discovered the above only by doing a quick visual inspection. I haven't tested any other titles without noticeable browning/bronzing. Have any of you guys had any that didn't work but did not have a physical flaw?

I am beyond ticked off about this. I have five titles that flat out no longer load, one that is likely going to end up like this, and who knows on some of the other titles I have. I have tons of Criterion discs, and this is incredibly worrying to me.

In addition to the ones I mentioned above, some of the other titles mentioned with this problem are Howards End, Pierrot le fou, Ride With the Devil, and Stagecoach. This is even more damaging for Howards End and Pierrot le fou since those are now totally out of print (OOP).

Here are some pictures I took of the ones that will no longer play...

5rMxHlW.jpg

adJnOKn.jpg

YcNQdSz.jpg

KjeXcIh.jpg

RnULqgi.jpg

5Pa3GDl.jpg

Top Bottom