• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Pillarboxing never bothers me and is preferable to something being in a different ratio than intended.

It is a different ratio than intended though. In the example above, the 256×224 image should fill a 4:3 aspect ratio, but due to pillar boxing you get a more square image.

Tain

Pillarboxing never bothers me and is preferable to something being in a different ratio than intended.

It is a different ratio, though. It's supposed to be 4:3 yet is less wide due to the Saturn not supporting 256x224.

You could adjust your CRT's settings specifically when playing that game, I suppose.

Saturn outputs at 320:224, right? I guess I'd have to look at it on my PVM but wouldn't it just display a 256:224 game by filling in the extra pixels with black? It looks right but your screen isn't filled all the way? Or is something else going on? I'd rather have that then stretch the image out to fill all 320 pixels.

On the Playstation version of Mega Man X3, Mega Man looks like he needs to hit the gym whereas on the Saturn there's just a border that's easy to ignore.

Tall oval bubbles = not the proper ratio.

qsQrzDD.jpg

Bubble Bobble is bad on Saturn.

Saturn outputs at 320:224, right? I guess I'd have to look at it on my PVM but wouldn't it just display a 256:224 game by filling in the extra pixels with black? It looks right but your screen isn't filled all the way? Or is something else going on? I'd rather have that then stretch the image out to fill all 320 pixels.

On a CRT the extra pixels will be treated the same as over scan so you won't see them. Its the same as most consoles from that era displaying 224 lines inside of the 240p signal, the rest is treated as over scan and adjusted for automatically.
But if you are playing on an OSSC or XRGB then the extra pixels will be displayed so you may want to make an adjustment to get a proper 4:3 image.

On the Playstation version of Mega Man X3, Mega Man looks like he needs to hit the gym whereas on the Saturn there's just a border that's easy to ignore.
Policenauts has a bunch of space shots in the intro with circles visibly pinched to ovals due to the pillarboxing. It was designed for 256x224 with fat pixels and it shows.

For sprite games I think it's normally NBD

Can anyone tell me why TMNT Tournament Fighters is so much more expensive on SNES than the Genesis? There is a Genesis copy at a store near me but if there are some major differences I'd rather just save up for the better version.

Rydeen

Can anyone tell me why TMNT Tournament Fighters is so much more expensive on SNES than the Genesis? There is a Genesis copy at a store near me but if there are some major differences I'd rather just save up for the better version.
They're completely different games only using the concept of a Ninja Turtles fighting game. The SNES is a much better game then the Genesis one, I'd recommend looking up some videos and you'll see the difference.

Fularu

Banned
speaking of co-op i'm hoping you or me can find a 2nd guncon2 lightgun for cheap so we can co-op some ps2 time crisis 2+3.

but yeah i've been looking at secret of mana on ebay but nothing reaching out to me so far.
Dude you should just have two guncons to play those games John Woo style in solo.

So satisfying

That would be awesome! I haven't played a good light gun game in years.
hype =P

Two players and light guns?

Gonna need to pick up that Gunvari Collection.
i grabbed point blank for ps1 recently
2Nr7LVwm.jpg

but never seen the ps2 collection in the U.S.
i couldn't use the guncon2 for the ps1 and grabbed it once i realized it.
Today is the 35th anniversary of Pitfall! for the 2600. I can't tell you how many hours I spent watching my oldest brother play it before he would give me a chance. We didn't get it at launch but I do remember my brother getting it for his birthday in September.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_AtNY0bYAA
pitfall was so good. i think pitfall II was way ahead of it's time.
though Harry Pitfall blows on nes, that was impossible to beat. destroyed my postive childhood memories.
Bubble Bobble (and Rainbow Islands) is squished (pillar boxed) on Saturn. PS1 is the way to go.
ps1 baby! i loved grabbing those candy wrappers =)

Dude you should just have two guncons to play those games John Woo style in solo.

So satisfying
haha didn't see your post while i was replying, that's a good idea!
Not in the gunbarl collection or Ninja Assault among others
i need to start looking into ps2 lightgun games. i don't even know what's out there. so far i grabbed time crisis 2 set CIB with a gun,time crisis 3 for 8 bucks mint. and in the beginning of the week resident evil dead aim.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Time Crisis 2 and 3 are by far the best. Crisis Zone kinda went off the rails (that was a PS2 joint, wasn't it?)

Vampire Night and Ninja Assault were both bad. I was super into light gun games at the time, but I was still pretty thoroughly bored by both of them. The Virtua Cop re-release on PS2 was pretty cool, but not essential.

They're completely different games only using the concept of a Ninja Turtles fighting game. The SNES is a much better game then the Genesis one, I'd recommend looking up some videos and you'll see the difference.
Thanks so much. I'll do some research. I'm glad I didn't impulse buy the copy I saw. I figured there had to be some reason the prices were so different.

IrishNinja

yeah, TMNT tourney fighters is better on SNES

Capcom Aladdin is better.

Genesis Aladdin is fun for a stage or two but in general it suffers from the animation>gameplay that earthworm Jim does and feels bad to play because of it.

The same problem earthworm Jim has where sometimes you have no fucking idea what shape or areas are actual platforms or have collision and aren't just decoration.

Agreed. A lot like Vectorman too. Kinda group them together.

ehhh i didn't have that problem much in the superior genesis aladdin, but i did in those other ones, yeah. fair call.

I never did like Prince of Persia.

me neither, always felt left out with this

This is my issue with DKC.

i can kinda see this too - it looked & sounded great but i didn't think it was the best platformer either. more competent than some of the other examples we've used here though

Might want to check nintandbox for SFC box scans. You can print on cardstock and have a relatively convincing replacement
http://www.nintandbox.net/index.php/en/

whoah that's kinda cool actually

Is that legal?

callthecopsidontgiveafuck

Tall oval bubbles = not the proper ratio.

qsQrzDD.jpg

Bubble Bobble is bad on Saturn.

damn, hard to unsee - id still play it though! love the saturn, love that series

Timu

Thanks so much. I'll do some research. I'm glad I didn't impulse buy the copy I saw. I figured there had to be some reason the prices were so different.
The Genesis version is really hard, though I managed to beat it ont he hardest setting. SNES version is still better though.

And now people are complaining about Earthworm Jim, too, a series I never really had any difficulty with as a kid in terms of collision detection and discerning what was a platform and what wasn't. ¯\_(ಠ_ಠ)_/¯

You know what game I do have that problem with, though? Lion King. Especially the ostrich segments, where I frequently appear to collide with the air so hard that I instantly die.

Yeah they occasionally run into it but for the most part do an ok job highlighting platforms.

For earthworm Jim play them on genesis, or ej2 on Saturn if you feel like living lifestyles of the rich and famous.

Wouldn't Sega CD + Saturn be lifestyles of rich and famous? They're both enhanced versions. SMH

That's weird, I got mine for super cheap. Unless you're looking for boxed they should both be pretty cheap.

Fuck no? It's significantly better on genesis. SNES one is mediocre at best

Time Crisis 2 and 3 are by far the best. Crisis Zone kinda went off the rails (that was a PS2 joint, wasn't it?)

I wish there was a version of Crisis Zone where you just go around the mall and can shoot everything without enemies, the amount of destruction in the game was insane for the time. It would need a force feedback submachine gun peripheral, too.

Danny Dudekisser

I wish there was a version of Crisis Zone where you just go around the mall and can shoot everything without enemies, the amount of destruction in the game was insane for the time. It would need a force feedback submachine gun peripheral, too.

Yeah. That sort of spectacle made it a cool arcade game... but it was a lot tougher to ignore the shortcomings when you actually take some time with the game at home.

Yeah. That sort of spectacle made it a cool arcade game... but it was a lot tougher to ignore the shortcomings when you actually take some time with the game at home.

I've also never seen an arcade cabinet in recent years that didn't have a busted ass monitor, a lot like those old Sega Lost World cabs. Seems like a bad idea from the start to equip an arcade cabinet with rear projection monitors.

Fularu

Banned
It's really annoying how much ebay has become all buy it now auctions with stupidly overpriced prices.

Hence why I filter it by auctions only.

I mostly avoid BIN and MO auctions where sellers won't accept anything less than the BIN price minus maybe 1$ (which is stupid as fuck)

It's really annoying how much ebay has become all buy it now auctions with stupidly overpriced prices.
Hence why I filter it by auctions only. I mostly avoid BIN and MO auctions where sellers won't accept anything less than the BIN price minus maybe 1$ (which is stupid as fuck)
+1 to this entire post
i had an engaging conversation with an ebayer who listed stuff on some high priced games but never had any seller feedback. The person responded very quickly it was all original but i asked to come on GAF to do a transaction to be sure it's not a scam. a GAFer pm'd me saying he was the ebayer's brother so i was ready to do a transaction but he didn't want to do the transaction and told me to take it up through ebay. it was just so random. Why would you go through the trouble of contacting me through another on GAF to not do a transaction? really strange people out there.... i invited them to come join the retro community since they can just post it on the sales thread and linked the game value now price guide.

but yeah, ebay prices are ridiculous with their buy it now stuff.

Hence why I filter it by auctions only.

I mostly avoid BIN and MO auctions where sellers won't accept anything less than the BIN price minus maybe 1$ (which is stupid as fuck)

Sure and I do too but the point is that there is so few like that. Like search for game, 50 results, sort by auction, 3 results and it's all for cart only that look like they went through a garbage compactor. Just a frustrating feeling.

What's with the discoloration on genesis labels? A lot of stuff seems to have darker oily looking spots but it's super common. Is it something with the labels Sega used? I only see it on Genesis games for some reason. None of my stuff has it but ebay has it a lot for some reason.

Zaraki's Pickup of the Day™

Also, David I saw on digital press' facebook that someone traded in Aladdin for Genesis. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* Join the fight

Being a Marvel fan I'd love to give this version of Wolverine a try to see what its like. Word of warning though, don't play Wolverine (Adamantium Rage) on the Snes. Its a bloody awful game, even within when compared to other comic book games of the 90's.

Being a Marvel fan I'd love to give this version of Wolverine a try to see what its like. Word of warning though, don't play Wolverine (Adamantium Rage) on the Snes. Its a bloody awful game, even within when compared to other comic book games of the 90's.

Is it a different game like the disney games are? Didn't even know it existed on SNES.

LOL WUT

Why does it look like a poorly made homebrew game?

I remember enjoying the genesis game when I was little so curious how it holds up. Nothing is as good as X-Men 2 though.

Yes Boss!

So in the last 24 hours, we've had people shitting on Aladdin, Earthworm Jim and Vectorman?!? Come on...

Not shitting on. But there is a very significant division between the western and Japanese-developed games for the system. I'm trying to now appreciate them but back in the period the differences were very obvious.

I mean, DKC kinda is similar.

Is it a different game like the disney games are? Didn't even know it existed on SNES.

LOL WUT

Why does it look like a poorly made homebrew game?

I remember enjoying the genesis game when I was little so curious how it holds up. Nothing is as good as X-Men 2 though.

Yeah, the Snes one is completely different - from the levels to the bosses etc. The Snes version makes me laugh as it completely omits having Sabretooth in the game at all. You know, his main enemy!

The two X-men games on the Mega Drive/Genesis rock. I've never finished the second one (got as far as Apocalypse. I really gotta play it again). The Snes Capcom Marvel titles are pretty fun as well I found, more so X-men Mutant Apocalypse just for the multiple routes in the first and last levels.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Aladdin Genesis vs SNES is one of the few fights my wife and I continue to have to this day. I'm fully in the Sega camp, but she absolutely adores the Nintendo release.

We've tried to sort it out a few times, but neither of us are budging.

Would say you are pretty lucky if this is one of your few fights. I just had a fight with my current on-off gf regarding the french election this coming sunday. We agree on a lot of the policy stuff, but I guess i feel she is wasting her vote when she votes on a candidate that has no chance of advancing to the second round. And she of course has her reasons for disliking my choice.

Danny Dudekisser

Earthworm Jim is a great fucking game. I can't speak to the sequel, as I've never had much interest in playing it since it's so much less focused... but the first game is still excellent.

this was easily one of my favorite comic book games growing up, just barely beat it in the day too! i wanted to try Infinity War or whatever the sequel was but i hear it's balls-hard

War of the Gems was the sorta sequel that Capcom released. I don't personally think it was quite as good as X-Men MA since you didn't get the unique levels based on each character like MA gave you, but its essentially more of the same in that you have 5 characters (Cap, Iron Man, Spidey, Wolverine and Hulk) and like MA all the moves have Street Fighter style inputs. You spend most of the game fighting clones of different super heroes (heck, even Alpha Flights Puck shows up in probably his only video game appearance ever!).

Difficulty wise I honestly forget. I've finished it a couple of times, just use the power or soul gems I think? (that should make the game easier if your having problems).

Marvel game wise though I always go back to Spidey Vs the Kingpin either for the Mega Drive or Mega CD - two different versions (the CD version has several new bosses, hilariously bad FMV and a rock soundtrack for some reason, quite catchy actually). Its still my favourite Spidey game in terms of level based gameplay. The CD version also has an easier Kingpin boss fight compared to the MD version, where Kingpins weakpoint (his head) has a tiny hit box and makes the boss fight incredibly difficult since you only get one shot at it!

D.Lo

Not shitting on. But there is a very significant division between the western and Japanese-developed games for the system. I'm trying to now appreciate them but back in the period the differences were very obvious.

I mean, DKC kinda is similar.
Many things have been written about east vs west back then, but the core of it boils down to this: By the mid to late 80s, the top Japanese devs were professional outfits who had developed game design philosophies and valued polish and coherence to create quality products. They employed musicians, artists, designers, and teams for QA. Western devs, even when they grew in size, were still at their core teams of PC nerds who were excited to make something 'cool' and pretty much made it up as they went along. Doesn't mean all Japanese games were better than all western ones (certainly not true), but from a design perspective it was overall an obvious gulf.

This started changing in the early 90s, and Rare and Shiny were among the first western devs to start behaving like Japan actually, but they weren't quite there yet. I think if you gave a new player today Sonic and Earthworm Jim, they would enjoy the clean-design former and consider the latter a choppy confusing mess. Or say Street Fighter Zero vs Killer Instinct.

televator

So I've had a copy of Streets of Rage 3 with a mangled label. I decided to order a repro label from here. Let me back up though. They actually didn't have it in stock... like they didn't carry it at all. So I thought I'd shoot them an email and they said "yeah, sure we'll print some for you to buy." It did take them some time. Like I wanna say several months. But I can't complain because they really didn't have to go out of their way for me. Anyway, here's what they sent me:

iiiYQnnm.jpg

It looks better than I expected. I think I will order another label for Road Rash 64 if they are still so willing to take request for stuff they don't carry again.

Top Bottom