• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5 Confirmed for the West

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's not exactly Capcom's fault that the DS market wasn't viable for niche third-party games anymore.

No, but it is their fault for blaming piracy and bailing before that market collapsed.

I bought all the AA's AND AAI (with the sole exception of AA1) New and Day 1, and they say I'm part of the problem for not buying 5 copies when other people pirated the series and so I shouldn't expect future episodes at that point despite supporting them die-hard.

So you know what? Good that they're doing the sensible thing and continuing with the series in the west, but fuck Capcom for not localizing AAI2 or at least doing a pre-order quicky translation that could have an assload of typos just as long as I got it.

I'll probably buy AA5 to support the series... when/if it goes on sale to where Capcom doesn't see a dime from me. But until AAI2 gets a localization (or a fan translation) I'm not happy.

What are the 'rumored reasons' why AAI2 was never brought over?

Is it because it bombed in japan? Did AAI bomb here?

DS was dead by the time it would release and shelf space would have been difficult to get.

Localizing the game and publishing it would not have been profitable.

To which I say, suck it up, Capcom. To maintain a brand (and its fanbase), you have to sometimes take a hit. Make it Gamestop exclusive if you have to, whatever crazy thing you need to justify to release it.

well this was the update in july for AAI2.

Well, it's been a while since i bothered with AAI2 because or busy for work or because of personal depression (some members know what happened to me) making me get a profund lack of interest on romhacking.
Anyway, I am still here and care about this project even if myself is not up to date 100%, I think it's time to make a little update.
The main evolution is that the "hardcore" testing of the hacks we had in place for the text, showed that there is problems with text limits on the advanced stages of the game.
This problem is at the moment worked on by Hacko and Henke that try to convert the encoding of the game to accept ASCII. Till we don't have this working, we can't insert any text back to the game.
For the rest of the translation, because the most people like %s, here a little chart:
Literal Translation Progress:
-Case 1: 100%
-Case 2: 99%
-Case 3: 60%
-Profiles: 20%
-Maps: 99%
-Choice Buttons: 99%

I am sorry but I don't have any idea about the localization team (this part is the part of the project that was rebuild at least 3 times already) maybe because the literal translation is done so well that the localization team doesn't know how to make it better

Graphics are, from what i know, almost done till at the stage of the character animations meaning almost 99% if i didn't missed something special myself.

I want to take this post to apologize to the group and the fans but also thanks all the people that are still working on this project even if myself was not really an ideal head of the project in the last view months but you continued in your effort to complete this project even without guidance.
I don't really want to go into names because I will probably forget somebody but I think that:
tanakahouji, N-Forza, Bad Player, jinnijinjin (for literal translation), Choky (translations, care taker for both teams and for bother to answer all post in the forum even when i was not here), hackotedelaplaque / Henke37 for the hacking, mrichston for the many graphics (by the way, i didn't forget about the animation), HanOnimous for collecting the voice samples, probably Redjiggly (localization team) and all that I forgot, are to be mentioned at this point.

The bad news is naturally that there is still no patch even if some rumors are around that there is one.

For all the people that are waiting for the patch, i can only say: "Have patience. The wait is maybe long but the more you wait, the better the translation will become.".

Some special thanks to all that are still supporting us.

wingz

What are the 'rumored reasons' why AAI2 was never brought over?

Is it because it bombed in japan? Did AAI bomb here?

I think the main reason was because the DS life cycle was over, so they didn't want to release the game for a dead system, but they "are still open" for it appearing on other platforms (iOS, eShop).

AJSousuke

YES YES YES!!

The court finds the defendant Capcom ...
FIoUy.gif

A later trial will be dated for the murder of Megaman.

this
was
so
much
funny

:(

DS was dead by the time it would release and shelf space would have been difficult to get.

Localizing the game and publishing it would not have been profitable.

To which I say, suck it up, Capcom. To maintain a brand (and its fanbase), you have to sometimes take a hit. Make it Gamestop exclusive if you have to, whatever crazy thing you need to justify to release it.
I very much doubt that.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
This is great news! Western releases are no longer a guarantee.

I thought this was common knowledge ever since Gyakuten Kenji II never made the trip.

This whole DS is a dead platform is the stupidest argument and the worst excuse. 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games. It still could have generated hype with 3DS AND DS owners. Hell look at Vita. PS1 compatibility is and was a HUGE deal. Look at all the threads and posts concerning games nearly 10-15 years old that people wanted to play just because they could play it on Vita.

MechaX

I very much doubt that.

I can't say translating and distributing a text adventure would cost that much, but I would more say that "it would not have been very profitable."

But regardless, Capcom still should have localized it for the sake of maintaining the brand. But I guess announcing the intent for a Western release a day after its Japanese reveal is Capcom's way of showing that they are still serious about Ace Attorney.

This whole DS is a dead platform is the stupidest argument and the worst excuse. 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games. It still could have generated hype with 3DS AND DS owners. Hell look at Vita. PS1 compatibility is and was a HUGE deal. Look at all the threads and posts concerning games nearly 10-15 years old that people wanted to play just because they could play it on Vita.

Stores at that point were having trouble moving DS software. Capcom would have a hard time selling AAI2 to stores.

Thus they decided it was not worth the effort based on that and sales of AAI.

Stores at that point were having trouble moving DS software. Capcom would have a hard time selling AAI2 to stores.

Huh thats funny...

Upcoming DS Game Releases
North America
09/11 Finding Nemo: Escape to the Big...
09/13 Bookstore Dream
09/18 Hotel Transylvania
10/07 Pokemon Black Version 2
Pokemon White Version 2
10/30 Bratz: Fashion Boutique
Lalaloopsy: Carnival of Friends
LEGO The Lord of the Rings
Moshi Monsters: Moshlings Theme...
The Trash Pack
Thundercats
Transformers Prime: The Game
Wreck-It Ralph
11/06 Winx Club: Magical Fairy Party
11/13 Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! W...
Ben 10: Omniverse
Monster High Skultimate Roller ...
Victorious: Taking the Lead
11/16 Bubble Guppies
Dora & Team Umizoomi's...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Huh thats funny...

North America
09/13 Bookstore Dream
09/18 Hotel Transylvania
Pokemon White Version 2
The Trash Pack
Thundercats
Wreck-It Ralph
11/16 Bubble Guppies

Outside of Pokemon and Adventure Time, most of that is shovelware or licensed garbage.

LProtag

The announcement made me considering getting a 3DS. I guess now I pretty much have to get one now that it's confirmed for US release (basically).

Huh thats funny...

North America
09/13 Bookstore Dream
09/18 Hotel Transylvania
Pokemon White Version 2
The Trash Pack
Thundercats
Wreck-It Ralph
11/16 Bubble Guppies
This may depress you, but the publishers behind these games have a much easier time selling these games to stores than Capcom would have had for AAI2 last fall.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It looks great. I hope Level 5 has brushed up the courtroom scenes of Layton vs. AA so it's closer to this.

Top Bottom