• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a VR Unit be Nintendo's answer to SONY?Can it be done?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
With the recent success of the Playstation VR, do you think Nintendo will attempt to counter it with a device of their own?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's not Nintendo style, you should have figured by now.

They'll respond by doing something else.

hqdefault.jpg

kingbean

I have no desire to play a Nintendo game in VR. But there is no telling what the big N will do.

They seem to be killing it with their games being good without any kinda extra nonsense in them.

Best Nintendo since the 90s. Imo.

TannerDemoz

Itll happen but not yet. I feel like we're more likely to see AR first using the Switch. They dabbled with the 3DS I have no doubt they're exploring what they can do next. For a company as innovative as Nintendo, there is a world of opportunity in AR/VR.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I played Mario Kart VR and would gladly welcome it into my home. Nintendo ❤️.

wondermega

I'm skeptical Nintendo would want to touch VR for at least ten years. Given the setup of the Switch, seems like a natural for a device that could attach it to your head and control with the two joy cons. Maybe in a couple more iterations, if they have some new interest in it at some point. I'd not expect it honestly.

zenspider

I have no desire to play a Nintendo game in VR. But there is no telling what the big N will do.

They seem to be killing it with their games being good without any kinda extra nonsense in them.

Best Nintendo since the 90s. Imo.

Clearly, you've never played Playroom VR. Mario Odyssey or 3D World VR is literally all I want from this cruel world.

Grinchy

Banned
Switch games in VR would be really awesome, but they'd have to introduce a whole new console to be able to run them. It wouldn't make sense in the market.

One of the most appealing things about the Switch is that Nintendo can focus all their attention on one device. All software they develop will end up on that device, or at least that's the dream. The Switch is not capable of running VR games, so they'd have to release another device, be it stand-alone or some sort of add-on for the Switch. In any case, it would require them to diverge their attention into two different directions yet again, and that sounds like an awful idea.

One of the most appealing things about the Switch is that Nintendo can focus all their attention on one device. All software they develop will end up on that device, or at least that's the dream. The Switch is not capable of running VR games, so they'd have to release another device, be it stand-alone or some sort of add-on for the Switch. In any case, it would require them to diverge their attention into two different directions yet again, and that sounds like an awful idea.

Yeah, but they already broke the whole every game will be playable in both portable and docked mode so who knows.

Not that I think they will make a VR headset, it makes zero sense for this hardware.

ancelotti

Like others have said, there's no way Nintendo is invested in a full fledged VR solution. Perhaps they could integrate GearVR support, or something to that effect (an AR assisted title) but nothing more.

Nintendo has a patent for a headset, which at least it shows that they are considering it to some extent. But if Nintendo does VR, it won't be the same way as Sony is doing with the PSVR.

Nintendo could easily use the Switch screen as the VR, and have a slide-in helmet of sorts for it. Complimented with the Joy-Con which already act as VR controllers with their gyro and motion controls, you could realistically have VR games with slightly better 3DS graphics.

What I wish for is for Nintendo to sell the headset and have all of the Virtual Boy games available for it. They would be able to be played on Switch without any effort and they could even improve on the graphics, or do different color schemes for them.

I don't see Nintendo making a VR set. They're pretty happy doing their own thing and it kind of goes against the vision of the Switch.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No.
VR is not a very profitable venture for sony.I dont think even sony will do another one.

weltalldx

I don't quite understand the purpose or appeal of VR. Does it provide some type of experience that is not possible from a mouse and keyboard experience? From what I see, it's replacing your neck/head for movement, something I don't think most people can tolerant for long sessions. Can't see how this type of experience would be mainstream after the gimmick wears off.

As for Nintendo on VR, I think they have pretty much given up on the whole notion of VR/AR. If you noticed, they even removed the cameras on the switch to prevent any sort of AR possibility.

I don't quite understand the purpose or appeal of VR. Does it provide some type of experience that is not possible from a mouse and keyboard experience? From what I see, it's replacing your neck/head for movement, something I don't think most people can tolerant for long sessions. Can't see how this type of experience would be mainstream after the gimmick wears off.

As for Nintendo on VR, I think they have pretty much given up on the whole notion of VR/AR. If you noticed, they even removed the cameras on the switch to prevent any sort of AR possibility.

You really have to try it to see how much of an impact it makes on the experience.

It's a game changer, no exaggeration.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Zero chance. Nintendo gives zero shits about VR, and so do most people in general. VR hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire yet.

Maybe in 15 years we’ll see a VR Zelda but I really doubt it.

I also missed that PSVR is pushing PS4 units

Do you have evidence that it's not? If you want a console VR experience you have one option at this point. If you are on the fence between two consoles it could 100% push you toward a PS4 over the alternative.

Swarlee

Unless they come out with a cheap adapter like gear VR but collapsible, I don't really see the point. Even then it wouldn't have great head tracking. Also weight would be a big factor.

Right now they're both owning their space and are not competing against each other.

TannerDemoz

Wasn't it leaked that the Switch was VR ready or something along those lines?

Nintendo has patented a VR feature using the Switch as a dock able device in future headsets (similar to phones) but apparently Reggie said something last year playing VR down.

amirpro

Neo Member
I wish that everyone here that talks against VR will at least mention if they really had any experience with a high-end VR headset from the last year and with any serious AAA game (Resident Evil 7, Playroom VR, Farpoint and so on).

People who never really tried it should not speak so loudly against it. And this is actually relevant to any perspective in life.

Personally I think Mario VR could be amazing and Sony's Playroom VR (which is the highest quality and closest experience to a Mario game today) really shows how well that universe can fit in the VR world if done right.

edge2

Neo Member
Nintendo develops family consoles / gaming devices. VR is just the opposite, you dive into a world on your own and forget about your surroundings, so I think VR does not fit very well to Nintendo in this aspect.

VR also needs a lot of computing and graphics power. Even the PS4 is at its limits when playing VR games. A Nintendo VR console would need an immense HW upgrade, to get an acceptable performance. I think this does not really fit to Nintendo, as they usually do not provide the fastest HW but focus more on gameplay.

Additionally there are a lot of flaws with VR at the moment, one of the most critical problems is motion sickness. I'm not quite sure if VR is even recommended for children because of this, I guess not. VR headsets are also impractical, they are too big, require cables and are not very comfortable to wear.

All in all I think VR is a horrible idea for Nintendo and to be honest, I don't think VR has a bright future. I own a PS4 and also tried PS VR once, but wasn't really impressed.

Nintendo had a brilliant idea with the Switch and I think this is already a good answer to Sony.

I don't care about VR, and I think the masses don't either.

This. It's not profitable for a company like Nintendo to try and compete with Sony for it, it will always be a niche product anyway and won't ever be a system seller.

It's just like 3dtv all over again. Give it 10 years and nobody will give a shit about vr.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can see an adapter for the Switch in the same vain as Mobile phones, nothing else thou.

This. It's not profitable for a company like Nintendo to try and compete with Sony for it, it will always be a niche product anyway and won't ever be a system seller.

It's just like 3dtv all over again. Give it 10 years and nobody will give a shit about vr.
I wish I'd care to come back in 10 years time to laugh at this post.

Anyway I'll bookmark this thread just in case GAF is still around.

Top Bottom