• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioHazard 5 screens and video from Capcom DVD

duckroll

Hey, I heard that some people are getting very upset because I'm looking forward to RE5 on the Xbox360. I'm not sure why, is it the fact that I'm looking forward to RE5 upsetting you, or that fact that I own a Xbox360 upsetting you? I don't really understand...

Yoboman

plagiarize said:
oh no a sequel to a hugely loved game that completely rewrote the rule book for an entire genre doesn't do it again.

oh no all they seem to have done is totally overhaul the lighting, give it some of the best looking graphics on any system, and put it in a completely different setting to any other game in the series.

go fuck up a Vegas 2 thread instead. or a Halo 3 thread. or a Resistance 2 thread.

comparing RE5 to Madden would be fair if RE4 hadn't completely revitalised a genre that most people had fallen out of love with, and if the improvements weren't obviously substantial across the board.

horror games are about atmosphere. adding improved lighting to Madden does nothing for Madden, but it does so much for a horror game.

RE4 is my favourite game. shame on me for wanting more of the same with improved visuals.
Why do you keep mentioning Resistance 2? Like you've actually seen that game

And it doesn't have to overhaul the genre again, it just needs to be different and feel fresh. Especially when you're using totally different characters, they could have some unique nuances to make them seem different. I dunno just positioning Chris's gun stance different, or a slightly different swagger compared to Leon would help make it feel like it's not just playing the same guy with a different skin. Same for the enemies

outsida

Wow stop teasing me :D Release Release!! I need this and Left 4 Dead A.S.A.P for some zombie killing loving in my life.

Jonsoncao

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I'm pretty sure they put the PS3 controller there just to show that the game is indeed still bound for that system.

Still, I'm not surprised to see the 360 controller used given DCharlie's previous claims that the 360 was the principal system for RE5's development.
? :lol

you didnt see the 360 controller? :lol

maybe the pix are too bright to see a white stuff

actually the developer are using the 360 controller to play the game in video :lol

acm2000 said:
alone in the dark 1, 2 and 3 say hello
what the hell?

i've played all three of those games. alone in the dark created the mold for survival horror... but are you arguing that Resident Evil 4 didn't break that mold and make a new one?

or are you arguing that alone in the dark 2 and 3 each rewrote the rule book for the genre? they patently didn't. they were still both awesome though.

Yoboman said:
Why do you keep mentioning Resistance 2? Like you've actually seen that game
look, i'm not saying there's anything wrong with Resistance 2... or Halo 3... or Vegas 2 or any of those other games I keep mentioning. that's my whole point... there isn't. everything we've heard of Resistance 2 indicates that they're going to build on the solid gameplay of the original rather than reinventing it in any substantial way... and why should they? the original was awesome and people want more Resistance from Resistance 2 shockingly enough.

how much have we really seen of RE5? a few snippets of offscreen gameplay... if that's enough to judge the whole game, why isn't what we've seen and heard of Resistance 2 enough to judge that whole game?

cvxfreak

Jonsoncao said:
? :lol

you didnt see the 360 controller? :lol

maybe the pix are too bright to see a white stuff

actually the developer are using the 360 controller to play the game in video :lol

I have the actual DVD and saw the 360 controller, thank you. You just misread what I wrote.

Aggelos

Can't listen to everything that Takeuchi is saying, but this is what I can get:

We are making strong efforts to adjust various aspects of the game system. Half-year ago we showed Biohazard 5 to the public. The graphic quality was something that I'd call "a fundamental point". But presently we are on a dev-phase, in which we are making graphical close-up for every situation (?). In Biohazard 5 we have a wide-range of situations, we have emphasized on the lighting, we want the bright places to be seen very clearly. Truly, if we pay sufficient attention to that aspect, its hard to lack gameplay-wise. A characteristic of the Biohazard games is to stress on the "dark atmosphere", but on the other hand we must blend this with the "luminous atmosphere".
"The light and shadows" was an essential theme of the Biohazard series. Up until now the correlation between the story-events and the "light and shadows" theme was rather abstract. This time around in Biohazard 5, we would like to express an even further perception/sense of the reality, by joining the abstract sense and what you see (?). We would like create a game that stresses on "light & shadows".
When you stand in a bright place, the objects, which are in a dark place, are very hard to be seen. It's a matter of focal point. In dark places its hard to see either way.
"The things that are out there and you can't see" is an idea/philosophy that Biohazard games can fulfill very well, but other games struggle to do so. You can't see the enemies, you cant see the items, you are not able to see (you cannot tell apart visually what is happening around), that is what Biohazard is all about. We would like to materialize all these, and focus on how we can present even better the "fear of the dark" idea/concept. Like in the real world, where our eyes have a luminosity-adaptability when you enter from a bright place to a dark one, in Biohazard 5 correspondingly you cannot instantly see.
In Biohazard 4 we had many original weapons, however there was a demand from gamers, who played Biohazard 4, to have more real-life weapons. Thus, in Biohazard 5 we will try to do our best to fulfill such a request, as much as possible.

voltron

Im convinced that we will get some next get RESEVIL love this year.... either Res5 or the 360/PS3 RE4 port.

Either way Ill be extremely fucking happy!

duckroll

voltron said:
Im convinced that we will get some next get RESEVIL love this year.... either Res5 or the 360/PS3 RE4 port.

Either way Ill be extremely fucking happy!

Yeah, you're getting RESEVIL love this year........ via the RE0 Wii port! Enjoy, I'm sure you'll be extremely fucking happy!

voltron

duckroll said:
Yeah, you're getting RESEVIL love this year........ via the RE0 Wii port! Enjoy, I'm sure you'll be extremely fucking happy!

re4.jpg

Thats old right?
With all the controversy that happened yesterday I figured we wouldn't be hearing much else until it was a less stressful time but after checking my email today I was proven wrong. The boxarts arrived today, weighing in at a huge size. I've resized them and have them here for display. Along with the boxarts was a nice message which agreed to getting an exclusive video of the game for THIA. That should be happening in the next few days, but I'm not sure when as my "man on the inside" needs to be sneaky about taking a debug copy home. Its a sad side effect of yesterdays disruption. It seems hes not the only one in the company who doesn't like the idea of a more "community connected" Capcom.

01s.jpg

02s.jpg

Old news to y'all?

http://www.the-horror.com/

acm2000

plagiarize said:
what the hell?

i've played all three of those games. alone in the dark created the mold for survival horror... but are you arguing that Resident Evil 4 didn't break that mold and make a new one?

what mold did re4 break exactly? same game, different viewpoint, does not a mold break

acm2000 said:
what mold did re4 break exactly? same game, different viewpoint, does not a mold break
so now you're arguing that the only difference between previous resident evil games and RE4 is that it has a different camera?

it was a complete reinvention of the series. the controls were one of the few things that didn't change... most everything else did.

Yoboman

plagiarize said:
look, i'm not saying there's anything wrong with Resistance 2... or Halo 3... or Vegas 2 or any of those other games I keep mentioning. that's my whole point... there isn't. everything we've heard of Resistance 2 indicates that they're going to build on the solid gameplay of the original rather than reinventing it in any substantial way... and why should they? the original was awesome and people want more Resistance from Resistance 2 shockingly enough.

how much have we really seen of RE5? a few snippets of offscreen gameplay... if that's enough to judge the whole game, why isn't what we've seen and heard of Resistance 2 enough to judge that whole game?
Sorry, I hold RE5 to much higher esteem than any of those and it's not like I'm complaining about the gameplay of it. But I was expecting they would take RE4's gameplay and tweak, tune and vastly improve on it. I don't get much confidence in that when I watch videos and see even the subtle elements like animations haven't changed

And you're mistaken if you think people weren't putting shit all over Vegas 2 for being a rehash. As for Resistance 2, I disagree. Everything we've heard about the game indicates it's a vast departure from the original, of course we won't know the full story until we see gameplay.

plagiarize said:
so now you're arguing that the only difference between previous resident evil games and RE4 is that it has a different camera?

it was a complete reinvention of the series. the controls were one of the few things that didn't change... most everything else did.
I don't see how it changed too much from the older RE games. Yeah, it was different, but it wasn't a complete reinvention imo. It simply did what sequels need to do to keep things fresh, without overdoing it. If you saw the Devil May Cry style version of RE4 complete with ghosts, that got scrapped in favor of the one we all played, it'll change your perspective on what a reinvention really is.

Yoboman said:
Sorry, I hold RE5 to much higher esteem than any of those and it's not like I'm complaining about the gameplay of it. But I was expecting they would take RE4's gameplay and tweak, tune and vastly improve on it. I don't get much confidence in that when I watch videos and see even the subtle elements like animations haven't changed

And you're mistaken if you think people weren't putting shit all over Vegas 2 for being a rehash. As for Resistance 2, I disagree. Everything we've heard about the game indicates it's a vast departure from the original, of course we won't know the full story until we see gameplay.
do you think that ten seconds of footage from Resistance 2 showing a player shooting a handful of enemies will show substantially different gameplay to the original? new settings, improved graphics, new weapons, improved AI I'm sure we'll see... but i'm sure we'll see that in RE5 too.

do you think the common enemies in Resistance 2 will move in a substantially different way to they did in Resistance?

Yoboman said:

RE5 is still a ways off though. There's plenty of time to tweak the gameplay of it. Something as simple a adding walking and shoot would be a vast enough improvement to me.

[Nintex]

Yoboman said:

This is just a dev version, I'm sure that the game will be different. We've seen like 30 secons of (godly) gameplay footage. I wouldn't call Resi4 style gameplay a rehash, there's been one game with this style Resident Evil 4, and now there is a second one. Halo, Zelda, Pokemon, Mario Party, now those are rehashes(but still awesome).

360 version looked drop dead awesome! PS3 version better be just as good, Capcom.
I think it's just a dev(PC) version with a 360 controller hooked up.

Dyno

After Devil May Cry 4 my only concern is that Resident Evil 5 is going to recycle too much material. As long as there are at least three distinct environments (like in 4) with a good variety of enemies and bosses then Capcom will have earned its reputation back in my books.

Honestly, Resident Evil is one title that I hope they don't jigger too much because 4 was perfect. It had a style all it's own. It's one of the exceptions to the rule.

Maybe I'll do the 360 version this time around. So far Capcom seems pretty indifferent to the PS3 archetecture. Seeing as RE4 first came out on the Gamecube there isn't really a precident or tradition to follow.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
That looked exactly like RE4 with a new coat of paint right down to the sneak up animations to the attack then back off AI. What happened to the trailer version? This looks SERIOUSLY toned down. The dying animations were even identical i.e. not always accurate to the weapon used.

Dark Octave said:
I don't see how it changed too much from the older RE games. Yeah, it was different, but it wasn't a complete reinvention imo. It simply did what sequels need to do to keep things fresh, without overdoing it. If you saw the Devil May Cry style version of RE4 complete with ghosts, that got scrapped in favor of the one we all played, it'll change your perspective on what a reinvention really is.
i'm well aware of all the attempts at making Resident Evil 4. if there's information out there that i haven't heard i'd be surprised. i've seen every video, every screenshot released to my knowledge.

the hook ghost version is completely different to the devil may cry version, and to me looked more like traditional Resident Evil than RE4. you had fixed camera angles. you had a traditional RE style environment with traditional RE puzzles and exploration. if anything i'd argue that as a midway between the game we got and the original games. they have the over the shoulder aiming yes, but i see more similarities to the old style games.

that to me just looked like a resident evil game toying with the same kind of supernatural elements we've seen in lots of other games. that wasn't a move towards something fresh, but a move towards Silent Hill and Fatal Frame.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
The-Switcher said:
If you had full analog control, you would be fucking unstoppable in RE. Like, that's why the original RE4 became DMC.

The fact that your hampered with tank control, is what balances the game, considering most enemies are slow. This is what makes RE4 as intense as it is. You'd need to be half-way retarded not to realize this.

Honestly, I don't expect RE5 to be better than RE4 as a whole. Simply because few members of the original team are even working on it. And well...Mikami's non-involvement is another reason.

i dont want to agree but, i got this feeling just a little

basically every game Mikami has touched are in my top 10 :D

i do hope RE5 does go above RE4

duckroll said:
Hey, I heard that some people are getting very upset because I'm looking forward to RE5 on the Xbox360. I'm not sure why, is it the fact that I'm looking forward to RE5 upsetting you, or that fact that I own a Xbox360 upsetting you? I don't really understand...
What... the... fuck?

Tom Penny said:
You just proved my point. Sorry if I think that game wasn't perfect. Boo-Hoo.
the fact that i like millions of others love RE4 only proves that there is a substantial number of people that are perfectly happy with the game mechanics as they are.

you are allowed to think the game isn't perfect, but don't be surprised when you ask for the design to be fundamentally changed and you find dozens of people telling you to leave it as it is.

that doesn't prove that it needs changing in any way shape or form does it?

RE4 is one of the best reviewed games... well... ever. do you know why that is? because lots and lots of people love it.

no game is going to appeal to everyone but RE4 surprisingly appealed to the majority of people that played it. you're one of the people that didn't love it... fair enough, i get that... but i don't see why something should be changed from something that so many people love into something else, just because there was a small minority who didn't like the gameplay.

it's like this. i don't like turn based combat in games, but i don't go into the threads of sequels to turn based games saying they should have real time combat instead because i appreciate that the reason the game is getting a sequel is because it sold really well, and the reason it probably sold really well is that there was an audience that really rather liked it for what it was.

Man, seeing the rumblings this thread, it's going to even more awesome as time goes on to see people manufacture reasons to dislike this game because it's not on Wii, looking forward to it, along with the inevitable internal 360/PS3 war about which controller is better, which color palette is better, etc.

PolyGone said:
its Softimage | XSI

and I still have mixed feelings about this game's setting. If anything its a pretty damning indictment of American gamers (from their perspective, they're simply giving us what we want). Afterall, the biohazard series hasn't been selling as well in their native Japan as it does over here, so they are tailoring it for us. And they think we want to shoot Africans.
Huh? You were shooting spanish people in RE4, so Capcom thought American gamers want to shoot spanish people or what? *scratches head*

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I want this... so hard.

Phife Dawg said:
Huh? You were shooting spanish people in RE4, so Capcom thought American gamers want to shoot spanish people or what? *scratches head*

Hell you spent the first few games shooting your fellow Americans.

Yoboman

plagiarize said:
do you think that ten seconds of footage from Resistance 2 showing a player shooting a handful of enemies will show substantially different gameplay to the original? new settings, improved graphics, new weapons, improved AI I'm sure we'll see... but i'm sure we'll see that in RE5 too.

do you think the common enemies in Resistance 2 will move in a substantially different way to they did in Resistance?
They've reinvented quite a few of the enemies, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved differently and the base gameplay has a lot of room to improve. Things like iron-sights and simple changes to the pace would make a noticeable difference in an FPS

Phife Dawg said:
and they aren't even Africans.

black != african.

the truth is much simpler, but nobody ever wants to go into it. game series about zombies has title set in the country where zombie mythology originates from. said country has mostly black people living there.

is it more logical to believe the game is set in Haiti cause it has black people there or because it has a rich history of belief in such things as zombies, and is where the zombie mythology can be traced to?

Haunted

Looks like Resident Evil 4 with a new graphics engine.

dark10x said:
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the version being played in the video was actually running on a PC. Using the 360 pad with a PC is incredibly easy to do and would make it seem as if they were playing a console version.

I'm not worried about either version, though, as DMC4 turned out beautifully. The poor Lost Planet port was not handled by Capcom proper.
Hasn't even been announced for PC yet. Which in 99/100 cases means a long wait between versions. :(

Top Bottom