• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skipped out on bar tab, am I in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkuMifune

Banned
chubigans said:
Indeed. Here's hoping the OP gets what he deserves.

And what exactly do I deserve? My hands cut off for refusing to be taken advantage of?

GAF is so high and mighty today. I was ripped off in a shitty club, and you want me to take it up the ass with a smile...I admitted a hundred times what I did was stupid and I just want to know the best way to handle it!

You know what, screw it, I'll put all the karma cards on the table. I say steal what you what, take advantage of everyone you meet, and fuck you if you have a problem with it. There.

Now let's just wait and see if lightning strikes me dead or not.

Dot50Cal

Banned
AkuMifune said:
And what exactly do I deserve? My hands cut off for refusing to be taken advantage of?
So..they forced you to pay inflated prices for alcohol? Why didn't you just go to another bar when you saw how much the prices were? If you didn't see the price, then you have noone but yourself to blame.

X26

Banned
sure it's not fair, but you can live without $200. your major organs though, yea, life would be tough without them

AkuMifune

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
So..they forced you to pay inflated prices for alcohol? Why didn't you just go to another bar when you saw how much the prices were? If you didn't see the price, then you have noone but yourself to blame.

My bill was like $2364 NT ($60) one minute, I had one more drink and asked for my bill and it was almost $6000 NT. It was a clear case of ripping off the drunk foreigner. And what's with condemning my character for hanging out in shady bars? Sorry if Applebees isn't my idea of a fun Friday. Though maybe it should be.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
If this thread is fucking serious, then get the fuck off GAF and get yourself over to that bar and pay up.

If there is even a hint of threat against your life, why would you risk it? Pride?

Pride means shit if you're dead.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
RubxQub said:
If this thread is fucking serious, then get the fuck off GAF and get yourself over to that bar and pay up.

If there is even a hint of threat against your life, why would you risk it? Pride?

Pride means shit if you're dead.
As I said in an earlier post, who wants to live with a threat against their life on the back of their mind?

He has one and knows what to do to get rid of it. He may be in danger, he may not be.

But, he wants to call people high and mighty and not take valuable advice.

I'm ignoring this dumbass. Go fuck diseased hookers OP.

painey

1Wdsb2JhbC8XCAUABxgAGAFaL3RpbGUvMC8yODAyYwAAAAAAAAD697xE.jpg

AkuMifune said:
My bill was like $2364 NT ($60) one minute, I had one more drink and asked for my bill and it was almost $6000 NT. It was a clear case of ripping off the drunk foreigner. And what's with condemning my character for hanging out in shady bars? Sorry if Applebees isn't my idea of a fun Friday. Though maybe it should be.
You're still alive??

The Asian mafia is slipping.

Ceres

Banned
AkuMifune said:

Don't leave a tab at a shady foreign bar?

freddy

Banned
AkuMifune said:
You know what, screw it, I'll put all the karma cards on the table. I say steal what you what, take advantage of everyone you meet, and fuck you if you have a problem with it. There.

Now let's just wait and see if lightning strikes me.

Someday it will. With that attitude and your lack of wit it's almost a forgone conclusion.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
NomarTyme said:
Give the hooker the money!

This.

but!

don't give her money, and when they come knocking, tell them you DID! so then the hooker looks like the thief, and you'll all be like...

"Looks like the only STD you'll be getting is..

.... the taiwaneese mafia"

BYEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NotWii

Banned
Woooooow, what a crazy thread.

Seriously dude, if I was you I would:

1. Not pay, never go back to the club and never go back to that area
Going back is basically telling them you want your arm sawn off, and depending on how serious they are, paying now won't solve anything IMO

2. Not see the hooker
But good idea with calling with the old number to throw them off

3. Throw away your old phone and get a new phone
So if they have contacts inside your service provider or got ahold of records, the IMEI number that identifies your handset won't be of any use, it's theoretical they could track you through celltowers

4. Keep a low profile, make an escape plan (if they ever found you and were right outside your door) and get a new place if you can.

5. Invest in security
Locks, cameras, self defense weapons, bear traps in the apartment, anti aircraft guns

6. Use a fake alias, grow a moustache/beard, get different clothes, get a haircut, maybe dye it (something discreet)

GOOD LUCK

eznark

Banned
I used to skip out on bartabs a lot, but always at places I visited regularly so i would just go up on the board (sort of a shame list) til I paid the bill. I was going to come in here and make fun of you for being a pussy.

Turns out you're just an idiot. Well done, bro.

AkuMifune said:
famous last words

AkuMifune

Banned
DeathNote said:
I'm ignoring this dumbass. Go fuck diseased hookers OP.

:lol Wow. So much hate.

Look, half the thread advised me to go back to the bar and pay my tab, while the other half thinks it'd be stupid to go back and invite more trouble. It took a while, but I have to side with the latter group. I'm not ignoring anyones valuable advice, just taking the advice I think is better in this situation.

TheExodu5

Banned
Go back to the bar and give them their money + extra.

AkuMifune said:
:lol Wow. So much hate.

Look, half the thread advised me to go back to the bar and pay my tab, while the other half thinks it'd be stupid to go back and invite more trouble. It took a while, but I have to side with the latter group. I'm not ignoring anyones valuable advice, just taking the advice I think is better in this situation.

Choice 1: you're possibly out $200-$300.

Choice 2: you're possibly dead.

Easy choice, mate.

If you don't go back right away though, don't ever think of going back again. They need to think the first thing you thought of doing was paying them back.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
DrEvil said:
This.

but!

don't give her money, and when they come knocking, tell them you DID! so then the hooker looks like the thief, and you'll all be like...

"Looks like the only STD you'll be getting is..

.... the taiwaneese mafia"

BYEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
:lol
I was just thinking of doing some CSI:Miami shit.

KHarvey16

If this thread has taught me anything it's that if I ever open a bar in Taiwan, all I need to do is float some vague rumors about the mafia and I can charge foreigners whatever I want and based on the advice they get from people on the internet they'll pay it plus extra.

TheExodu5

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
If this thread has taught me anything it's that if I ever open a bar in Taiwan, all I need to do is float some vague rumors about the mafia and I can charge foreigners whatever I want and based on the advice they get from people on the internet they'll pay it plus extra.

Listen man, being robbed is better than getting beaten or killed. Learn to swallow your fucking pride.

AkuMifune

Banned
Wii said:
Seriously dude, if I was you I would:

1. Not pay, never go back to the club and never go back to that area

TheExodu5 said:
Choice 1: you're possibly out $200-$300.

Choice 2: you're possibly dead.Easy choice, mate.

I've been sitting here all day sweating it out between those options. I've decided that going back is really asking for trouble though. At this point they don't know my name, never got a good look at me, and only maybe have my old cell #. If I go back they'll have a good look at me, I'll have to pay at least that, and I might still get my ass kicked or worse. I have to take the chance that they can't find me or I'm not worth the effort.

And to those late to my demise, I had no idea the place was run by gangsters or I (obviously) would have paid. And I was never going to meet up with the hooker, I'm not that desperate! I was only floating ideas, and trying to gauge if it was a trap or if I was overthinking the whole thing. Paranoia is a really fucked up thing.

Kritz

Banned
Get your friend to go back and pay. I mean, he doesn't have a GAF account, so I don't think anyone cares if he dies.

JimiNutz

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
See everyone? This business plan cannot fail.

I know :lol
No offence Exodu5 but would you really just hand over $250-300 for a couple of drinks in fear that the bar owner may kill you? If so I hope we meet one day because I will rob your naive/gullible ass blind.

Even if the bar is owned by a local gang there is no way they're going to murder somebody over such a small bill. IF they caught the OP, and that's a huge if, sure they'd probably rough him up a bit, break his nose, split his lip, knock out a few teeth and crack a rib or two, but there's no way they're going to launch a manhunt or put a bounty on his head for such a small bill (the actual cost of the drinks was probably only about $40max anyway.)

Sure you hear stories about people getting murdered for their cell phone but these are usually robberies gone wrong by people that are desperate. A gang that owns a couple of bars will not kill you over $40. OP would be incredibly stupid to go back to the bar, and should make sure he doesn't go to the immediate area anytime soon. It would obviously be wise for his friend to avoid the bar as well.

Next time you go drinking try to make sure you know exactly what type of bar you're in before wracking up a tab.

JimiNutz

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Working in a bar I have one thing to say.

I hate you, and you paid the prices by choice

Apparently not. If you'd read the thread you'd see that his tab was about $60 until the last drink when they magically added an extra $140 to the bill. Unless it said on their price list ‘last drink costs $140', they were trying to rip him off simply because he looks foreign.

Mr.City

EvaPlusMinus said:
您丢脸了我们,您为饶恕将乞求在夜之前结束

Oh shit

Don't worry, I hear the Triad are nice and gentle fellows, who value honor unlike Sicilian mafia groups. Reasonable chaps, no doubt.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
AkuMifune said:

GAF is so high and mighty today. I was ripped off in a shitty club, and you want me to take it up the ass with a smile...I admitted a hundred times what I did was stupid and I just want to know the best way to handle it!

Now let's just wait and see if lightning strikes me dead or not.

You are quite the drama queen. Mafia bar or not, the right thing to do is settle the tab, period. If you had a problem with the bill you should have said something. It may have been a honest mistake, your friend's tab wasn't wrong. But since you didn't, you should go back and pay it off.

As wild as all these posts sound, I highly doubt things are as extreme as people are saying. But YOU are the one who is there and can gauge things alot better than us posting in different continents.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
After reading this entire thread (damn it...) my conclusions are these:

likelihood this story is true: 60%

is the bar mafia owned: probably not. when you hear from someone who hears from someone that it is, it probably isn't. it's pretty easy to figure out a place is in or not before you even order the first drink.

if the bar IS mafia owned, is not going back a good move: no, it's a horrible move. You are hoping that ducking your head in the sand will make all of your problems go away. problem is that if it is mafia owned, they are not going to let $200 slide. You're not going to get killed or anything, but yeah.. you're going to get your ass kicked. and the ditching your cell phone and never going back to that area plan... also horrible. For probably 20 minutes of legwork and less than $25USD they should be able to easily find out where a tourist lives and have a talk with you.

so in the likelihood that it isn't a mob bar, you should be fine but still stupid for either going there in the first place or getting pissed when locals try taking advantage of tourists (NO SHIT!) And if I'm wrong, well then your plan is pretty stupid.

nestea

So uh, why didn't you just explain to the hooker when she called you the first time that you were drunk and just forgot to pay your tab before you left and that you were going down to pay it right away? I mean they would have just wrote you off as a drunk tourist who forgot about his tab until the morning after when the hooker called, now they know you are just trying to skip out on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom