• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Any news about the release ?

Came to ask the same question. Picked up a 55" B6 for the bedroom and it's been sitting in the box for a week now. It's kind of killing me.

If they don't announce a proper Game Mode with HDR I want to return it and grab a B7 at launch. Afraid I'll crack and bust it open soon though, ugh.

julrik

For those of you with an OLED: does anyone know if 4:4:4 chroma is only possible in PC Mode, and not in Game Mode as well? I'd like to avoid it to keep the input lag as low as possible.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For those of you with an OLED: does anyone know if 4:4:4 chroma is only possible in PC Mode, and not in Game Mode as well? I'd like to avoid it to keep the input lag as low as possible.
It's possible in all modes (at 8-bits per channel, of course)

The E6 and C6 have gotten a firmware update for HDR Game Mode. It's version 4.30.19 and it's downloadable on the site.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED55E6P

1. Improvement
1) To apply HDR Game Mode.

Nothing for the B6 yet but for those with these sets, it's ready.:)

h8MHF7k.jpg

samred

Wow, that WAS quick. I can only hope the B6 delay is because they're working on lag for both HDR and SDR... would love to see SDR lag addressed, even if it means shittier image. If I could get away with playing legitimate Overwatch on this thing...

dragos495

In the uk the check for updates function doesnt find any updates and im not downloading a 800+ mb update with 5kb/s... :)

ronco2000

Haha LG is delaying the B6 so they can sell more E6 and C6 this holiday. Everyone wants the B6. No point buying E6 or G6. C6 is just not selling well.
I see what you're doing LG.

Wow, that WAS quick. I can only hope the B6 delay is because they're working on lag for both HDR and SDR... would love to see SDR lag addressed, even if it means shittier image. If I could get away with playing legitimate Overwatch on this thing...

Haha LG is delaying the B6 so they can sell more E6 and C6 this holiday. Everyone wants the B6.

The E6 and C6 use an in-house LG processor. The B6 uses a third party Realtek processor which likely requires more implementation and testing time. The end solution may even differ on the B6, etc.

Awesome!

I have a C6. Can I download from within the tv interface itself?

Also, does this warrant it's own thread to let people know along with maybe provinding a hub of impressions and tests?

Yes, go into settings, general and about this TV. There should be an option to update there. They generally roll out updates slowly so if nothing comes up, you'll need to the update manually.

Yaari

This makes me so happy. I really given up hope after the misleading conversations with their support for the last few months. Hopefully it will be put to the test soon.

Ratchet and clank seems pretty snappy to me. Need someone to do real lag tests.

Also, the only adjustments I made to HDR game mode were to reduce sharpness to 0 and turn off super resolution. Make sure you have your black level set appropriately to what your console is outputting.

LG listened.
I never expected them to actually implement a 4th HDR mode for the 2016 sets. Only expected improvement of the standard HDR mode.
Need measurements.
Now if they could also release a Dolby Vision game mode, that would be nice as well (Mass Effect Andromeda PC).

Adam M

LG listened.
I never expected them to actually implement a 4th HDR mode for the 2016 sets. Only expected improvement of the standard HDR mode.
Need measurements.
Now if they could also release a Dolby Vision game mode, that would be nice as well (Mass Effect Andromeda PC).

The competition is tough, everybody released an HDR game mode so it was obvious that they don't have a choice.

They listened before, they fixed stuttering on the B6 and other things like the HDR10 tracking so I'm not that shocked that they fixed this as well (though we don't know the input lag yet) :)

I checked the LG website on update availability for my 65UH8500 and notice the update was up for that series. I did the update via USB since the TV won't find it yet. Latest version is 4.30.19. Unfortunately my receiver isn't HDCP 2.2 and won't pass HDR to my TV so I'm unable to test out HDR Game Mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh bummer.. My E6 is arriving tomorrow.. :(
The E6 is better, though. If not for the insane European prices, I would have had one (though I know someone who did find a killer deal on it so it IS possible to overcome)

The B6 and E6 have the same exact picture but the E6 offers more options such as 3D, which isn't bad to have.

The E6 is better, though. If not for the insane European prices, I would have had one (though I know someone who did find a killer deal on it so it IS possible to overcome)

The B6 and E6 have the same exact picture but the E6 offers more options such as 3D, which isn't bad to have.

Would love an E6 but cannot justify the prices right now having only bought a 4K set last year. Maybe I will win that lottery one day.

jrcbandit

Oh the update includes the UH8500 series, nice. I have my PS4 hooked up to a 40 inch 4k Samsung that has weak HDR (6300 series, no wide color gamut), I'm tempted to hook it up downstairs now.

julrik

It was sarcasm. I'm perfectly happy with my purchase, and got a pretty great deal on BF, even though I'm in Europe. Can't wait for it to arrive tomorrow!

Awesome!

Top Bottom