• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Grimsen

I bought a second core set last week. Thought I got a deal at $40 with no tax. :(

Yeah, I already have two as well. 20$ CAD is really cheap, amd I want a third X-Wing, but at this point I'd rather get the X-Wing expansion :/

Anyhoo, glad to see people jumping in!

I'm probably gonna play at a local store next week for the first time. I only have one friend that plays X-Wing, and I don't see him often enough. Not really sure what to expect.

Can I just say how weird it is every time I see this thread on the gaming-side of GAF?

I have been miniature-wargaming since 40k 3rd Ed, and have been working in the industry for the last couple years, and must say, it does my heart so well to see this kind of gaming get even a little bit more love in this community.

X-wing really has been a holy grail which has informed my design sensibilities and fandom. A game that legitimately can be taught to a child in half of an hour, but which I feel is deep, and skill-based (and very much tournament viable, as I have been playing in events all around the NY/NJ area, and always come away impressed by how tactical games are).

Anyway, my Wave 6 stuff just arrived, meaning I have kept up with my usual buying of 4x each product released (except for Epic ships which I just own one each of, and the Aces/Most Wanted which I bought 2x each).

Much as I am impressed with them at a glance (Double Aggressor is a VERY skill-based list to fly but I can already see it effecting the meta), my heart is also looking ahead to the delicious scale of Armada. ;-)

After playing my first 5 matches, I think what I like the most about the game is that even what one might think is a conservative move can turn into a complete cluster in seconds. I really wish there was an electronic version, I would play it basically exclusively.

Are there any video games that are like this? In the sense of designing a starship fleet (points based) and plotting turns either per turn or pause-order-unpause? I know that the star trek battles game had PC games many years ago though I have no idea if they can still run on a modern.

Are there any indie games doing this, since I imagine none of the bigger publishers would be interested.

Nete

I really wish there was an electronic version, I would play it basically exclusively.

There is a fully functional (and updated) Vassal module, and as far as I know it works really well. As many other Vassal modules you still need the real cards for its info, abilities and stats. I tried to mess a bit with it some days ago using this guide, but it was a bit overwhelming. I need to take a better look.

Also, there seems to be a Core Set mod for Tabletop Simulator o_O

Are there any video games that are like this? In the sense of designing a starship fleet (points based) and plotting turns either per turn or pause-order-unpause? I know that the star trek battles game had PC games many years ago though I have no idea if they can still run on a modern.

Are there any indie games doing this, since I imagine none of the bigger publishers would be interested.

Gratuitous space battles!

Kind of....

But basically gratuitous space battles!

Also are board game topics allowed on gaming? I thought this was specifically for vidya

Not complaining, as I love board games

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Today I played my third store championship in five weekends. Finally did decently. In a nine-player tournament, I started 3-0 with a full 600 margin of victory (my best start in a tournament ever), then lost the fourth regular round when time was called and he'd destroyed more points than me (62 to 38 I think). Then I lost after the cut to top four to a person I beat in the third round. -_-

Still got neat little focus tokens and another dice bag.

I flew Commander Kenkirk w/ Push the Limit, Gunner, Darth Vader, Ysanne Isard and Engine Upgrade; and Soontir Fel w/ Push the Limit, Royal Guard TIE, Stealth Device and Authothrusters. 98 points so I make the opponent take initiative.

PBalfredo

Can I get a rules clarification here? Say I have a ship with one shield left, and it takes two damage, one normal, one critical. Is there an order of operations on which damage applies first? Because it matters if my shield eats the crit, or if the crit lands on my hull.

Can I get a rules clarification here? Say I have a ship with one shield left, and it takes two damage, one normal, one critical. Is there an order of operations on which damage applies first? Because it matters if my shield eats the crit, or if the crit lands on my hull.

Hits are applied before crits, so in this scenario the shield would absorb the hit, and the hull would take the crit.

PBalfredo

On Proton Rockets, the bolded says Attack [Focus], what does that mean? Do I have to use a focus to use this as an attack?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
On Proton Rockets, the bolded says Attack [Focus], what does that mean? Do I have to use a focus to use this as an attack?

it means you must have focus to use it as an attack, but you don't have to USE the focus. Your ship needs to have the token, but since it doesn't say discard it, you can still use it on the attack (or on a later defense)

MrChom

I had a rather good game of X-Wing last night.

Opponent Fielding (Roughly) this, co-pilots might not be in the right place:

99 points

Pilots
------

Nera Dantels (30)
B-Wing (26), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1)

Keyan Farlander (35)
B-Wing (29), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), B-Wing/E2 (1), Jan Ors (2)

Ten Numb (35)
B-Wing (31), B-Wing/E2 (1), Lando Calrissian (3)

Meanwhile I fielded:

100 points

Pilots
------

Wedge Antilles (39)
X-Wing (29), R2-D2 (4), Wingman (2), Shield Upgrade (4)

Etahn A’baht (36)
E-Wing (32), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Sensors (3)

Jake Farrell (25)
A-Wing (24), Chardaan Refit (-2), Outmaneuver (3)

------

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/188443/veterans
Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/188443

Wedge took a pounding early on but came back into the game through the aid of R2 and some green manoeuvres. I concentrated most of my fire on a single ship in Ten Numb and with some out of arc shots from Jake, and a range 1 shot from wedge he went down.

Next to go was Wedge as, although he'd regained two shields, a range 1 shot from Nera was enough that he had no way to dodge. By this point, however, my E and A wings had managed to get in behind the B wings and dealt significant damage...offing Nera in return.

We got it down to a turn where no one had shields, and it was A/E vs B....the E pulled off two stunning turns, rolling a natural 4 evade roll, and following it up next turn with 3 evades and an evade token...at this point, however, a crit rolled in on Keyan and the game was called as it turned his 3 Attack into 2....and against two ships with 3 evade that's a poor matchup.

Have a photo of the game in progress too:

B_KUmCnW8AAQHv1.jpg:large

I had a rather good game of X-Wing last night.

How did your friend get on with Keyan without a 'self-stresser.' I've never seen him flown without Push or Stay on Target (or sometimes Opportunist). Also, love the photo, it is always a good game of X-wing with a beer close to hand.

MrChom

How did your friend get on with Keyan without a 'self-stresser.' I've never seen him flown without Push or Stay on Target (or sometimes Opportunist). Also, love the photo, it is always a good game of X-wing with a beer close to hand.

Wasn't too much of a problem for him, due to the nature of my ships he was almost constantly able to take red manoeuvres...usually a 2 K-turn. Seemed to work fairly well but it was starting to dictate his movement.

As for the beer, we play in a Royal British Legion club in Newbury, there's a bar maybe 15 feet from where we are....let's just say some people aren't able to drive home after club. :D

I'm thinking about possibly running a double IG-2000 build in my local store championship (I have to verify that they are allowing Scum and Villainy to be legal), and was wondering something.

When going for an initiative bid or choosing to have initiative or not, would it benefit a list of 2 IG-2000's each with advanced sensors more to move first or last? On one hand, being able to see exactly where things are when making your movements will prevent your opponent from being able to block you. But even if you're up against blocks and you have advanced sensors, you could take your action before you get blocked.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm thinking about possibly running a double IG-2000 build in my local store championship (I have to verify that they are allowing Scum and Villainy to be legal)

It ought to be legal. Tournament rules say that once a product is released, it's legal, and FFG made the official "it's out!" announcement on Thursday.

When going for an initiative bid or choosing to have initiative or not, would it benefit a list of 2 IG-2000's each with advanced sensors more to move first or last? On one hand, being able to see exactly where things are when making your movements will prevent your opponent from being able to block you. But even if you're up against blocks and you have advanced sensors, you could take your action before you get blocked.

I doubt it'll be a problem since the metagame sits at PS8 and PS9 right now, with the occasional PS7 from a Super Dash. But in case you run into the random Vessery at PS6 — or heaven forbid, a mirror match — I would think that you'd want to give away initiative for the exact reason you give: you can use Advanced Sensors to keep your action, and possibly to avoid a bump in the first place.

BTW, which IG-88 pilots are you running?

I'm thinking about possibly running a double IG-2000 build in my local store championship (I have to verify that they are allowing Scum and Villainy to be legal), and was wondering something.

Personally, I would choose to take the initiative. With 2 big ships you could use it to bully some of the smaller ships with blocking and even with the knowledge your opponent has as to your locations it would be difficult to get out of your wider shooting arc that large bases have. Also as you said, with advanced sensors it basically takes away the weakness of just ramming the opponents ships.

And you get to shoot first on any ships PS6 or lower which might be invaluable to flush out the focus tokens..

BTW, which IG-88 pilots are you running?

I'm more than likely sticking to a Rebel build I've been practicing with a lot lately since I won't be able to play much with IG-2000's before the store championship this weekend (my scum stuff is just coming in later today) and I'd rather fly a build I have experience with, but the two IG-88 pilots I would run and plan to experiment with are B and C.

Also was thinking of throwing Veteran Instincts on them (as one possible build) taking them up to PS8, which is the main reason I was asking about initiative bid with them.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Taking a dual IG-88 build to practice night tonight ahead of this weekend's store championship. I'd keep initiative (doubt you'll run into many PS 6 pilots though) and definitely take Advanced Sensors and Push the Limit

If I like it, I'll run it, otherwise I'll probably fall back on Super Han or maybe go super Interceptor/Autothrusters/Phantoms

Nete

So after playing awfully bad on my first two games (using the wrong direction on the dials, not using my ships as a cohesive unit, making some terrible decisions...), todays went much, much better. I still lost (thanks silly point system), but it felt like a moral victory.

I was playing with Echo fully equiped (ACD, VI, Recon and Fire Control System), a Bounty Hunter with Tactician and 2 Academy TIEs. He was using a Fat Han (C3PO, VI, Engine Upgrade and Falcon), Airen Craken with Swarm Tactics and 2 Bandit Squadron Z95.

At the end of the game (aka when he had to leave due some Real Life™ things), the only things left were Han with 4 hull points left, and the Bounty Hunter with 6 and gifting stress tokens to the smuggler. Kinda balanced, IMHO, although Han still had the upper hand due the 360º and the goddamn C3PO.

Highlights:
-Academy TIE #2. #1 died pretty fast (round three), but the other lasted almost until the end of the game thanks to his ability to dodge 425984 hits without any problem. All that while dealing some interesting damage to the Z95s and even Han himself.
-C3PO. What a broken card on a YT1300 (or another ship with 1 defense dice). If Han didn't die was exclusively due the golden dude. Stupid card.
-Echo crashing against an asteroid by less than 1mm, taking damage and dying on the next round of shots as she was helpless.

Here is a crappy picture by the store guy.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I, too, deeply hate C3PO in this game

The thing to remember (to keep your morale up) is that C3PO can guarantee only one evade per round, so if you shoot at the YT-1300 with several ships in the same round, you should get some decent damage through.

(I know, easier said than done. The YT-1300 is my least favorite ship to play against and it always has been since it came out in December 2012.)

Nete

Yeah. My plan from the start was to focus fire at Han, as I knew it would be harder on late game with less ships on my side, but he took a longer route to the fight and I had to deal with the Z95 first. It went pretty well actually, as I took down one of the Bandits and Airen very quickly, but Echo crashing against the asteroid fucked my chances of a clean victory. The Bounty Hunter and the Academy did a good job on dealing damage, but not enough.

In other news, I've decided to customize a bit the ships. I'm an awful painter, so I wanted to do something easy, aka use the 181th strips for all the ships. Yeah, I know I'm extremely original and you have never heard a similar idea.

Anyways, I've done a test with one TIE and this is the result. Not too bad I guess.

Bigger strips due the bigger wing. It would be much easier and clean with an aerograph, but I can't justify buying one.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Flew dual IG-88s at the practice night against two better players, taking on a HWK/Keyan/Biggs list and a Dash Donut/Jan/Z.

Holy shit the dual IG-88s are powerful. I ran them with Advanced Sensors, Push the Limit (may swap for Predator on Sunday), Autothrusters, Inertial Dampeners, a Seismic Charge on one and Mangler Cannons on both.

Ran B and C (evade when you boost, free secondar attack when you miss with an attack).

The biggest issue I had was flying around asteroids. Tricky with large base maneuverable ships. But advanced sensors let you do some great blocking moves against higher PS pilots while still having taken evade/boost and possibly focus as well (with PTL).

Was really hard for anyone to put any damage on me. Super Dash couldn't keep me in arc (indeed, he was frequently arc dodging me), so autothrusters plus using advanced sensors/boost mean I had a nearly auto two evades (one token, one more as long as I didn't roll three focus).

Mangler Cannons getting two chances to hit is key too, and it'll always hit with a crit if one gets through, rains crits down, which was useful multiple times.

Only used Inertial Dampeners once, but it was super successful the time I pulled it out, and was a constant threat in the other game. The seismic charge worked for me both times I played it to, though it's not a lot of damage.

Against turret ships you can get behind and chase them, constantly bumping them, and getting the autothruster bonus. Against Keyan I was able to outmanuever him easily once I had taken out his support. And before that I kept my distance most of the time. Even firing five dice (with HWK support), and turning his stress into focus and rerolling with predator, he still was at most pinging two hits. The one time he had a natural five damage on me, I rolled three evades to go with my token.

Stress, multiple ions, and ships that can outmanuever at a higher PS (ie, Soontir, Phantoms), are likely the only things that can deal with IG-88 right now.

I have a question about Dace Bonearm's pilot ability. It reads:

"When an enemy ship at Range 1-3 receives at least 1 ion token, if you are not stressed, you may receive 1 stress token to cause that ship to suffer 1 damage."

Now, the only prerequisite written on the card is "When an enemy ship at Range 1-3 receives at least 1 ion token..."

Does this mean that this ability can be used outside of his attack turn? His pilot skill is 7, so if a pilot skill 5 ship ionizes an enemy ship within range of Dace Bonearm's ship, even though Dace's combat turn is over, I can give him a stress to cause 1 point of damage? Or does it have to be before or during Dace's turn? If the former is true, that's also a good counter to enemy feedback arrays.

Also, awesome red stripes on that TIE, Nete!

I have a question about Dace Bonearm's pilot ability. It reads:

"When an enemy ship at Range 1-3 receives at least 1 ion token, if you are not stressed, you may receive 1 stress token to cause that ship to suffer 1 damage."

Now, the only prerequisite written on the card is "When an enemy ship at Range 1-3 receives at least 1 ion token..."

Does this mean that this ability can be used outside of his attack turn? His pilot skill is 7, so if a pilot skill 5 ship ionizes an enemy ship within range of Dace Bonearm's ship, even though Dace's combat turn is over, I can give him a stress to cause 1 point of damage? Or does it have to be before or during Dace's turn? If the former is true, that's also a good counter to enemy feedback arrays.

Also, awesome red stripes on that TIE, Nete!

I read it as he can do it anytime.

I read it as he can do it anytime.

I agree, unless FFG flat out FAQ it then the reading heavily suggests that Bonearms ability can trigger from any source of ioning. Be that himself or any of his allies attacking or even a self ioning through the feedback array.

Anyway, had my first game with my Scum fleet, took Kath in the Firespray, Kavil in the Ywing and 2 Black Sun Soldiers in Headhunters. Game went very successfully in Scums favour. The opening joust was badly in my disadvantage at first, a cunning Awing maneuver left Kath dangerously exposed in the middle of the field and Kavil was ioning and double stressed via Horton running an ion turret and the 'stressbot,' leaving my poor Ywing to fly into an asteroid field.

Luckily, this insult must have riled one of my Black Suns and he scored a natural 3 crit attack on Horton and his combined fire with his wingmate and Kath took the Ywing out of the fight on the 2nd turn. For the next few turns, my Firespray and Headhunters dueled with the Rebel Awing (Arvel) and Bwing (Keyan) but nether side managed to do much damage thanks to some very lucky dodge rolling on both sides.

The game fell into my favour when in one turn I separated the 2 Rebel ships, leaving Arvel to fight with Kavil (who by this point had flushed out all of his stress and was back in the picture) while Kath and the Black Suns surrounded and destroyed Keyan through concentrated fire, although in his defense he did manage to pull Kath down to 4 health and destroy one of the Headhunters.

After that it was just a case of mopping up the final Awing. He flew well and managed to get Kavil down to 1 lonely hit point but finally a tactical block with the last Headhunter and range 1 shot out of Kath rear firing arc took him out of the picture.

A few thoughts at the end of the game
1. Auto-thrusters is bloody terrifying. The Rebel Awing was sporting it and although we weren't counting, we think it gave him an extra 3-4 shield points over the course of the game and really shut down Kavil.
2. Kath is quite hard to line up correctly, I like her ability but I haven't decided on the best method to fly her yet. That said, I got 2 five dice attacks in that game which were both very devastating.
3. Blaster Turret Kavil is easily shut down with stress, But if left alone he can be a real beast to deal with.
4. Although he didn't live long enough to really enjoy it, the new title for Ywings has potential to really bring them back.

Fou-Lu

Starter set should be here tomorrow, anything I should know before playing? I'm a long time mini wargamer so I shouldn't have any issues. Kind of hoping this will fill the void of Battlefleet Gothic.

MrChom

Well....there's some often confused stuff.

Overlapping =/= touching.

When you move you move directly from where you start to where you finish....you're not too close to an asteroid, for instance, unless the ruler actually touches it.

Secondary weapons do not gain red or green dice at range 1 or 3.

Everything else it pretty much covered in an understandable format.

Won

German versions of the scum stuff seem to have arrived in my city. Considering picking some of it up, despite not having really played much yet. But restocks are just so rare.

Oh dear, silly FFG. I totally didn't notice this, but a mate pointed out to me that the Scum Firespray pilot cards lack the correct symbol to show that they can preform attacks out of their primary or auxiliary firing arcs. Of course this is a misprint and folk from FFG have said as much, but as it stands following the game to the letter of the law means that the Scum Firespray can't shoot out of its auxiliary arc.

I'm secretly hoping the misprint Firepspray cards might be worth something, although given that Most Wanted is likely the most popular item from wave 6 I can't imagine that will ever be true, still fun to own at least.

Bonethug

Do the Rebel Y-Wing's have an issue with the movement dial hole being too small for the plastic thing?
I just got one from the reprint and it seems like there is no way that plastic piece is going in that hole.

Grimsen

Do the Rebel Y-Wing's have an issue with the movement dial hole being too small for the plastic thing?
I just got one from the reprint and it seems like there is no way that plastic piece is going in that hole.

I actually remember having a hard time with it. I almost broke the cardboard, but with enough patience I was able to get it in there.

:p

Fou-Lu

Played about five games with the starter so far and I love the hell out of the mechanics and I am impressed with the quality of the minis for a collectible game. I do feel the game isn't very balanced at this level however, the Imperials have yet to lose a game, two versus one is just such a big deal. Also where should I expand from here?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Played about five games with the starter so far and I love the hell out of the mechanics and I am impressed with the quality of the minis for a collectible game. I do feel the game isn't very balanced at this level however, the Imperials have yet to lose a game, two versus one is just such a big deal. Also where should I expand from here?

hmm. Luke + R2-D2 + Marksmanship + Protons should put up a decent fight vs any of the two TIE fighter pilots in the starter.

Where to expand is greatly determined by how you want to play. Are there certain ships you want to fly? Do you prefer to stick to a single faction? Do you want more of both? Playing competitively or just with friends?

Millenium Falcon and Slave I reprints are shipping now so those should be in stock soon and both are fun. In the interim the YT-2400 (Outrider) and VT-49 (Decimator) are popular large ships.

There's the whole Scum and Villainy faction (you'll want Slave Is, and HWKs, from other waves) - you can build a list off two IG-8000s but you'd also want some upgrade cards from other sets.

You probably want at least one more X-Wing (Wedge) and Tie fighter (Howlrunner). The TIE Advanced has Vader who will get souped up soon.

Imperial Aces gets you Interceptors with special cards / pilots. Rebel Aces gets you a B-wing and A-Wing.

Really you can't go wrong at this stage. Buy the ships that seem fun to you.

MrChom

Honestly? There's some hot buys (Rebel Aces, Falcon, Decimator, Phantom, and pretty much all of scum right now) but almost anything is good.....

It might benefit you more to build something here: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build#

Then see what packs you need. It gives you a good look at the dials, the stats, the upgrades, and what you can fit in 100 points.

What you want to buy is very much a "you" thing. At our club we have one guy who uses a lot of Whisper/Echo, another guy who changes build every week but tends to focus on the TIE and Z-95, another who uses only high Pilot Skill guys, and me who only plays rebels and tends to use a lot of A/B wings. It's best to think about, for each faction, what you want. If you're rebels and want speed you grab A-Wings, want Firepower and you grab B-Wings and so on. Everything has a role...you just need to find it. Even the humble Z-95 can throw some righteous curveballs at you.

However, if you're looking for the greatest flexibility with what you have....grab an X-Wing blister, and a TIE Blister, there's plenty of cards in there not included in the core set release.

I'm getting prepared for tomorrow's store championship and had a question. Does the 75 minute timer begin when players begin placing asteroids or once they begin deciding on movement dials for the first turn?

Our final store championship is is nearly upon me. I have a few lists I want to try out, including a 2x A-wing and an X-wing list that might be pretty killer. I also have a Soontir with mini-swarm that I think could be pretty baller as well. So far, I have to say I am pretty underwhelmed by scum. Maybe I haven't played any good lists yet; the low pilot skill just kind of kills it for me. I played a dual iggy list last week and it seemed pretty strong, but I fear phantoms will just wreck it to pieces.

Has anyone ran into in some killer scum lists?

Nete

What a great X-wing night. With some friends decided to play several 2v2 games using each side a single list, assigning the ships to each player. Hilarious mode, especially if you only can talk with the teammate about the general plan.

Thoughts:
-Whisper is insane. I love Echo and her movility, but holy cow when this lad starts shooting.
-Krassis+HLC is great. I need to test it with Mangler Cannon.
-Crewman Luke with Han is annoying as hell.
-I should really stop colliding with my Phantoms.
-Auto Thrusters. I can't imagine an Interceptor without this anymore.

Our team used two lists I was carrying. Whisper (VI, FCS, ACD), Howlrunner (Swarm), 2x Black Squadron and 1 Academy // Krassis (HLC, Recon), Turr Phennir (VI, AT, TC, RG) and 2 Academy. Both worked great, but the second shined.

Also, the finished TIEs:

nx7aXzE.jpg

PBalfredo

I'm playing around with the squadron builder and is Keyan Farlander B-Wing/E2 with Kyle Katarn, Fire-Control System and Stay on Target as crazy as it looks like? When I reveal my dial I use Stay on Target to choose my direction at the same speed to gain a stress token, attack and remove my stress token to basically treat it as an offensive focus, gain a real focus from Katarn to use defensively and a target lock thanks to Fire-Control System?

I'm playing around with the squadron builder and is Keyan Farlander B-Wing/E2 with Kyle Katarn, Fire-Control System and Stay on Target as crazy as it looks like? When I reveal my dial I use Stay on Target to choose my direction at the same speed to gain a stress token, attack and remove my stress token to basically treat it as an offensive focus, gain a real focus from Katarn to use defensively and a target lock thanks to Fire-Control System?

Yep, aside from the fact that Fire-Control System's target lock will only be usable on combat turn following the turn in which you fired your attack, not the very same turn you first shot at your target.

If I wanted to do a Stay on Target Keyan, I would personally do it something like this:

Keyan Farlander (29)
Stay On Target (2)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Jan Ors (2)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Jan Ors works a lot better with Keyan by letting him basically take the evade action which is far more useful then a defensive focus on a 1 agility ship and Advanced Sensors let you not have to give up your action during the use of Stay on Target which you can do to do some mean stuff like barrel roll before you move and turn yourself into a semi-Tie Phantom. The loss of Fire-Control for that does hurt of course, it is a fantastic ability, but with Keyan natural ability I don't he needs more offensive-ness.

PBalfredo

If I wanted to do a Stay on Target Keyan, I would personally do it something like this:

Keyan Farlander (29)
Stay On Target (2)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Jan Ors (2)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Jan Ors works a lot better with Keyan by letting him basically take the evade action which is far more useful then a defensive focus on a 1 agility ship and Advanced Sensors let you not have to give up your action during the use of Stay on Target which you can do to do some mean stuff like barrel roll before you move and turn yourself into a semi-Tie Phantom. The loss of Fire-Control for that does hurt of course, it is a fantastic ability, but with Keyan natural ability I don't he needs more offensive-ness.

That's pretty good, too. Though I would have to pick up an E-Wing in order to run advanced sensors. I already know I want to pick up Rebel Aces, a TIE Phantom and maybe a Z-95 so I have a cheap ship to round out lists. That's already pretty expensive. The way they package upgrades to encourage builds that use multiple expansions is pretty devious.

Rule clarification, if my ship moves off the board, is it immediately dead after doing the movement on the dial, or can I use a boost or barrel roll to keep myself on the board and still be alive?

Also, what are some good deployment formations and early moves when facing formations, like TIE swarms?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I've pretty much lost 8 out of 9 games so far, haha. But it's so damn fun that I don't really care.

Tonight feels good though, 130 point game on empire side, gonna outfit the shuttle and some interceptors as well as the decimator. Muhahaha

Nete

Rule clarification, if my ship moves off the board, is it immediately dead after doing the movement on the dial, or can I use a boost or barrel roll to keep myself on the board and still be alive?

The ship dies before being able to do the boost or barrel roll.

EDIT: The formation thing, big misread by my part lol. I understood the oposite :D. I would say the key is to force the formation to break, either by deploying your ships and asteroids in a way you will keep bumping obstacles on their way to you, either outmaneuvering the formation (flanking it from different sides, using feints...). Ideally, both. Against an Swarm you will usually know where most of his ships will be before placing yours, so the first part should be doable. The second will be more dependant on what your opponent do, but a multi-ship formation is not exactly agile. Just don't rush against it, let him come to you.

PBalfredo

So Scum and Villainy arrived and the time came to sort out my cases for it....this is when I realised the truly mind-boggling scale my X-Wing collection is now reaching...

Oh shit, is this a vision of a dark future for me? Is this game going to sucker me in further and further until I'm broke.

I just ordered three expansions just today, so I think I already know my answer...

Starter set should be here tomorrow, anything I should know before playing? I'm a long time mini wargamer so I shouldn't have any issues. Kind of hoping this will fill the void of Battlefleet Gothic.

Yes, buy more.

Seriously. The game makes a very mediocre first impression if you try the 1 v 2 game out of the starter set. It becomes boring space-jousting, and has neither the feel, nor depth that the game will have with a better spread.

Play with the legit, tournament rules (or higher, I LOVE epic play as a BFG and WH40k player), and you'll likely fall in love.

Versus many miniatures games I have played (and even some i've worked on), X-wing perfectly captures the mantra of "easy to learn, difficult to master".

Oh, and Mr.Chom.... you'd never want to see a picture of my collection. :p I always pre-order two of everything as soon as a wave goes up for pre-sale, but from there, as I like to support my FLGS (friendly, local, game-store) I try to buy SOMETHING every time we go play. I figure if they host us for hours it is the least I can do.

However it also means waking up one morning and realizing I own enough Tie Fighter to run a 300pt Epic list... using just them (if it wasn't banned in the Epic rules). :p

I'm thinking about trying my hand at some repaints. I've never painted models or miniatures and I've noticed quite a few beginner/tutorial videos on youtube to get me started, but I was wondering if anyone here could recommend any particular paint brands/brush types/anything at all to consider when diving into this area of X-Wing?

Top Bottom