• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hunter D said:
I won't probably be a meme. It will be one.

"même" = "same" in French. He's asking him what is he smoking and whether it is the same weed as Sony's.

That said, :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Opiate

In 20 months, the PS3 has shipped 15 million units; that's .75 million units per month.

Over the course of the next eight years (96 months), the PS3 needs to sell another 135 million units. That's 1.41 million units per month, on average.

Basically, compared to the first 20 months, Sony needs to sell twice as many PS3s every month of every year for the next eight years.

Ranger X

Opiate said:
In 20 months, the PS3 has shipped 15 million units; that's .75 million units per month.

Over the course of the next eight years (96 months), the PS3 needs to sell another 135 million units. That's 1.41 million units per month, on average.

Basically, compared to the first 20 months, Sony needs to sell twice as many PS3s every month of every year for the next eight years.

Long story short, it ain't happening :)

Arsenic

wow, lol
Didnt the CFO say a couple weeks ago that they wont drop the price of the PS3, because they've gone on to care more about profit than market share?

with that idea, how the fuck will they even pass 60m :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol

no, it´s more like
168eu6o.gif
168eu6o.gif
168eu6o.gif
168eu6o.gif

laserbeam

Banned
At An estimated 500,000 a Month sold worldwide it would take almost 22 years from now to reach the 150 million mark. PS4 and PS5,PS6,PS7 will have come and gone. 2030 PS3 will reach 150 million Believe.

For comparison at its current sales rate the wii would breach the 150 million mark in under 6 years

There is nothing wrong with setting yourself an ambitious target, after all it does encourage you to work that little bit harder, but this borders on the absolute ridiculous.

Even with the fabled 10 Year Plan© they'd have to hope that the line charts start to show an almost horizontal line from this day forth.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno... I think they might be able to do it eventually. Once they get the price down, I have a feeling sales will pick up big time. The Playstation name is still huge and a lot of people are still in "last-gen"-mode where Sony is king. It is important that they do all they can to lower the price and make the console extremely accessible.

Who knows, though...

Wouldn't that mean that Microsoft should be able to easily surpass 150M since they stated during their E3 press conference that the X360 would sale more total consoles then the PS3 this generation?

LOL:D :lol LOL

felipeko

Zefah said:
The Playstation name is still huge and a lot of people are still in "last-gen"-mode where Sony is king. It is important that they do all they can to lower the price and make the console extremely accessible.

Who knows, though...
Are you living under a rock?

laserbeam

Banned
This is why Journalists in the Video Game industry need to have their testicles reattached. When the PS3 stuggles to reach 40 million before the PS4 comes out need to have a journalist say whats the point of the PS4 if you failed so bad.

BakedPigeon said:
Wouldn't that mean that Microsoft should be able to easily surpass 150M since they stated during their E3 press conference that the X360 would sale more total consoles then the PS3 this generation?

LOL:D :lol LOL

So that would put MS at 151 million, and since Nintendo is outselling both consoles combined the Wii will end up with at least 302 million. :s

Still, with the economy in the shitter and the redundancies on the way, at least folks will have something to do during the day.

Indeed

Jammy said:
Nah. PS2's been slowing down a lot. And I think the 130 million has to be buffed up or something. We just got NPD LTDs and Media Create LTDs and the numbers just don't match up.

The PS2 is pretty big here in Europe, the big continent overseas you know.

Indeed said:
The PS2 is pretty big here in Europe, the big continent overseas you know.

It just goes to show you that the games make all the difference.

Which is why Sony included a Bluray player

Nocebo

:lol
OK the wii is (correctly if I'm wrong) as I understand it one of the best selling home consoles ever, and will reach 150 mill in 6 years selling at current rate as someone caculated earlier. I doubt the wii will continue selling like this, but aside from that the wii has a massive head-start too. If even the wii will barely reach 150 mill in 8 years how in the hell is the ps3 going to? It'll have to suddenly become the best selling console of all time or something, even better than the wii and that with nearly zero casual gamer appeal.

Vinci

Danish
I've always heard that hallucinogens were popular in Japan, but this is sort of taking it to a new level. 150 million? Really? At what point is the PS3 free? I'll definitely get one then.

yoopoo

Banned
Nocebo said:
:lol
OK the wii is (correctly if I'm wrong) as I understand it one of the best selling home consoles ever, and will reach 150 mill in 6 years selling at current rate as someone caculated earlier. I doubt the wii will continue selling like this, but aside from that the wii has a massive head-start too. If even the wii will barely reach 150 mill in 8 years how in the hell is the ps3 going to? It'll have to suddenly become the best selling console of all time or something, even better than the wii and that with nearly zero casual gamer appeal.
How massive was the head start? Do tell.

They've been in this business long enough to know what it will take to get to 100M units WW, let alone 150M.

$299 must be a lot closer than anyone believes at this point.

Nocebo

yoopoo said:
How massive was the head start? Do tell.
Check the NPD thread, it has WW numbers.

MassiveAttack said:
They've been in this business long enough to know what it will take to get to 100M units WW, let alone 150M.
No they don't know what it takes to reach 150m because apparently they haven't reached it with any of their consoles before.

laserbeam

Banned
MassiveAttack said:

PS3 would literally have to sell at least 750,000 a month in Europe and 750,000 a month in the USA EVERY month starting right now to reach 150 million within 8 years and fit their "10 year cycle"

ZeoVGM

Banned
MassiveAttack said:

:lol :lol

You don't ACTUALLY believe this is possible, do you?

Zefah said:
I dunno... I think they might be able to do it eventually. Once they get the price down, I have a feeling sales will pick up big time. The Playstation name is still huge and a lot of people are still in "last-gen"-mode where Sony is king. It is important that they do all they can to lower the price and make the console extremely accessible.

Who knows, though...

Smart people.

Concept17

felipeko said:
Are you living under a rock?

To be fair, almost everytime I'm in a gaming section I STILL hear people talking about the 360/PS3/Wii like they just came out and they simply dont own one. Most people aren't very well informed.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
MassiveAttack said:

It must be great to live in a world where something happens just because a person says it will.

jett

D-Member
... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Kaz, you pompous sunnavabitch. Good thing you're done with hosting E3 conferences.

if they drop the price to 200, it might happen

not counting the billions of games and blu-rays they'd have to sell to break even with costs at that price.

in short: Hirai, pass the bumba dude

spwolf

if they drop the price to 199, with all the features intact, every house in western world will have 2 PS3's....

And with them not dropping the price this year and having reasonable goals, it probably means that they will eventually get aggressive on pricing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom