• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 will launch in 2014.

At a cost. Halo 4 looked nice at times but was so restricted and watered down compared to other Halo games they shouldn't have bothered going for so much eye candy. Game play first 343 Industries.
That cost should be alleviated with much better tech. Regardless of how the Xbox One stacks compared to other devices on the market, it's still leagues more powerful than the 360. It will still look great.

Gameplay first, as always.

iMax

A war sphinx, no?

Thats what I thought it was the second I saw the trailer

I thought they were much smaller? This thing is like the size of a planet.

It is Halo 5. They've been working on this since before 4 was out the door. This is full sequel game.

Really? OK, that's reassuring to hear. Strange they didn't just come out with the name then.

If you read the books, War Sphinx are more alongside this
War_Sphinx.jpg

Than this:
Screen-shot-2013-06-10-at-2.20.33-PM.png

but 99% it IS a War Sphinx anyway

There are many many speculations on what that thing is, even some dormant medicant bias incubated machinery were brought to the table.

Hmm...

KOHIPEET

That cost should be alleviated with much better tech. Regardless of how the Xbox One stacks compared to other devices on the market, it's still leagues more powerful than the 360. It will still look great.

Give me the "free"-roaming, exploring and unrestricted gameplay of Halo 1 and I will literally run to the nearest store to buy an X1.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I've never played the games on PC, actually. Would be curious if it still feels like Halo at 60fps. I imagine the floaty controls would do enough for that.

I have only played CE on PC. To me it did feel a bit odd at 60FPS.

That said, I am all for Halo 5 (or whatever it is) being 60fps. 60fps is always a good idea. Again, this is the one and only game I have ever felt like something was "off" after playing it at 60fps.

Probably something to do with it being designed at 30fps, and animations and physics were probably locked at 30 or something too, who knows it has been a while.

Grief.exe

Gameplay played second fiddle in Halo 4.

I have only played CE on PC. To me it did feel a bit odd at 60FPS.

That said, I am all for Halo 5 (or whatever it is) being 60fps. 60fps is always a good idea. Again, this is the one and only game I have ever felt like something was "off" after playing it at 60fps.

Probably something to do with it being designed at 30fps, and animations and physics were probably locked at 30 or something too, who knows it has been a while.

The actual shooting was also fucked in Halo CE PC.

The hitboxes and netcode were totally screwed up, had to lead the player by a fair bit in order to hit the target.

The way that M$ and 343i are hesitant to name this new Halo really makes me think that this will be an inbetween installment, like an ODST type thing. Either that or M$ is going to make Halo a smaller release, but annualized a la Call of Duty.

pswii60

Can't believe they're pushing 60fps for this, that was one of the highlights of E3 for me. I just hope they put the soul back in to the game. Has been missing since ODST for me.

Ogimachi

"#staycalm"?
Anyway, I'm expecting a 900p/30fps mess with shitty Halo 4 design (plus I don't even have the Xbone), so anything better than that will be a surprise.

Grief.exe

Game development didn't drop for 360 until MUCH later than year 2. I'm just going to build a new PC in 3-4 years and be set.

I'm doing the opposite, sticking with PC for now and getting a next-gen console in 3-4 years.

Waiting for them to build up enough compelling titles.

The great thing is, I don't even need to spend money on upgrading my mid-range PC I built back in 2010.

RdN

I wish it didn't.

Halo 4's quality was questionable, even with a 3 year development cycle.

The Halo franchise is in it's lowest point. That's a fact.

If Halo 5 disappoints, it'll be over. They need to make sure the game is FANTASTIC, with amazing graphics, multiplayer that the community wants (no COD rip-off again) and feature complete... Which I think is going to be REALLY tough on 343i, specially on 2y dev cycle.

jelly

How annoyed would people be if they made half a game and the rest was bite sized episodic content following the new TV show ?

Unless 343 are making Halo 5 - Combat Outsourced, two years sounds quite tight for a next gen debut.

ElRenoRaven

Had no doubts. Can't wait to be honest. It will be interesting to see where the story is headed and to see if 343 listened to the folks about the multiplayer. Either way it's going to have damn tough competition from Destiny. Should be interesting.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
How annoyed would people be if they made half a game and the rest was bite sized as it follows the new TV show ?

Pretty annoyed, but wouldn't be surprised, again, due to them making it "The Halo Saga" a continuing endless storyline, instead of having very defined "Covenant Trilogy" and "Reclaimer Trilogy" with beginning middle and end.

As a ridiculously huge fan of Halo, I have never been more troubled about the series. And I loved Halo 4.

Gestault

This new Halo is promised to run at 60fps, that's going to take some impressive engineering. Halo should be 30fps anyway, it's deviating even further away from the franchise. Some very strange decisions being made.

Ermmm....do you think so? My experience has been that a stable 60 fps is more desirable in gameplay in basically any game. One of the great things about Halo, even in a 30 fps setting, has been responsive controls. I imagine the rendering engine outputting at 60 would only aid this.

FaintDeftone

Meh. Seeing as I thought Halo 4 sucked, I could really care less at this point. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I honestly haven't been excited over a Halo game since Halo 3.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'm doing the opposite, sticking with PC for now and getting a next-gen console in 3-4 years.

Waiting for them to build up enough compelling titles.

The great thing is, I don't even need to spend money on upgrading my mid-range PC I built back in 2010.

I have a few more years in my current rig. If I had built mine very recently, I might be more likely to follow your course of action.

Joco

Are people that excited for Halo 5 anyway? The general consensus about Halo 4 seemed to be one of disappointment.

Yeah, this game is being cranked out way too fast. Essentially less than two years of production from a company that just finished Halo 4 a year ago more or less?

KuGsj.gif

Come on, MS.

EBE

im excited. put ~400 hours into Halo 4. love the series and i cant wait to see where it will go next, especially on next gen hardware. expecting good things.

I really have Halo fatigue, but I thought Halo 4 was a fine fine piece of work
Eventhough I had Halo fatigue before it came out, never finished the game, rarely played multiplayer, and ended trading it in
. I'm not excited, but I expect the production value of this game to be high af and the new standard by which all console games are judged by.

Jb

It'd be cool if most of the game actually takes place on that desert planet from the teaser, especially if they have good sand tech similar to UC3.

After Halo 4, I could go a couple of games without seeing a forerunner level in the campaign.

Hindle

Banned
If you read the books, War Sphinx are more alongside this
War_Sphinx.jpg

Than this:
Screen-shot-2013-06-10-at-2.20.33-PM.png

but 99% it IS a War Sphinx anyway

There are many many speculations on what that thing is, even some dormant medicant bias incubated machinery were brought to the table.

I'm interested in how that huge machine factors into the gameplay. Will it be a scripted encounter or boss fight, or something else?

Dabanton

The way that M$ and 343i are hesitant to name this new Halo really makes me think that this will be an inbetween installment, like an ODST type thing. Either that or M$ is going to make Halo a smaller release, but annualized a la Call of Duty.

Are people really still writing MS out as M$? It's so childish that it takes away any serious point your making.

jaypah

So I wonder why they haven't revealed the name yet.

Either they think revealing it to be HALO 5 is going to be a megaton announcement, or it's going to be a smaller game in scope since it's dev time is less than two years or so.

Or they may be doing away with numbers, like Killzone: Shadow Fall. Doesn't have to be a smaller game, KZ is excellent.

Top Bottom