• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

THey likely kept it secret so the Decepticons wouldn't know about them. You gotta remember that the war was going on for a VERY long time, and the last thing you want is the Decepticons destroying any form of allegiance.

You mean they
kept the fact that they were from Cybertron secret from the Camiens, to prevent Caminus from sending people back there
? That makes quite a bit of sense indeed.

This looks like a pretty good version of springer to me.

The robot form looks almost spot on.

Much better then the toys I had growing up. Lol

It's a 130$ toy released in 2017, it better look great compared to a 20$ or whatever 1986 toy, inflation or no inflation. :D I still think the Generations one looks better and you can get it for 30-40$, so...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Also the G1 Springer toy is kind of garbage, so just about anything is an improvement over those dinky arms.

The Generations one only looks better if you want IDW Springer, not G1 Springer. And even if it were G1 Springer it's not Masterpiece scale. They're not a useful comparison, IMO.

Since Weltall Zero handled Springer I'll cover Jazz. When it comes to official figures Spacial Ops Jazz is probably the best, though because it's out of print the price rose to $50, almost 4x it's original price.

If you're willing to go third party there's Generation Toys's J4zz for a more stylized take and Make Toys's Dowbeat for a more traditional take.

These figures look amazing.

99 bucks though. They keep getting more expensive. Lol

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
These figures look amazing.

99 bucks though. They keep getting more expensive. Lol

Maketoys Downbeat is a fine figure but I can't quite recommend it due to weird design choices in places. Still hoping one day Porsche caves and lets Takara make an official MP.

Tizoc

Can we also take this moment to contemplate that
Starscream was on the DJD's first ever List?
I guess Megs found some use for him and told Tarn to just take him out and toss him in the List again if he ever strays TOO far that Megs can't keep a leash on him

Don't usually go to this thread, but I thought you guys would be interested. Special Grimlock Magic the Gathering card from HasCon.

DF1MvkRXoAA4Dn9.jpg:large

KXFwN5p.png

The wording on Grimlock's card is unusual, in that the usual term for switching between card faces is "transform", which should be a flavor slam dunk, but they went out of their way not to use it. This guy claims that they legally can't say Transformers transform. Which is weird, but just weird enough to be true. Is it?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The wording on Grimlock's card is unusual, in that the usual term for switching between card faces is "transform", which should be a flavor slam dunk, but they went out of their way not to use it. This guy claims that they legally can't say Transformers transform. Which is weird, but just weird enough to be true. Is it?

They can legally say it, but Hasbro doesn't whenever possible, because you can't trademark or copyright "transform" in that usage, so it could easily become a brand name used generically to mean any toy that changes form, like Kleenex or Xerox have become with their usage. Hasbro wants to avoid that legal loophole so they always refer to the toys "changing" or "converting," not transforming. This does not seem to be a rule adhered to in the fiction, for the most part, but definitely is with the merch.

They can legally say it, but Hasbro doesn't whenever possible, because you can't trademark or copyright "transform" in that usage, so it could easily become a brand name used generically to mean any toy that changes form, like Kleenex or Xerox have become with their usage. Hasbro wants to avoid that legal loophole so they always refer to the toys "changing" or "converting," not transforming. This does not seem to be a rule adhered to in the fiction, for the most part, but definitely is with the merch.

Interesting. Thanks!

NEO0MJ

Following Drift FT are going with Tarn, with Star Saber afterwards. If only they weren't so expensive, these might have been the first non transforming Transformers that I bought since they look really good.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So the HasCon exclusive Arcee is actually looking decent for a remold. If I didn't already have the Generations one, I would be upset that it doesn't get a general release:

1501257093-arcee-hascon.png

r_transformers-titans-return-arcee-set-02.jpg

They've very carefully worded their press releases about her as "available first" at HasCon, so she will eventually be available on the Hasbro Toy Shop web store, at the very least.

Lagamorph

Saw the Titans Return Trypticon in Smyths Toys today for £149.99, had to restrain myself from getting it to go with Fortress Maximus.

Went out looking for TR Trypticon the other day, ended up getting MP-10 Optimus.

I don't think I could have gone wrong either way, so I went with the one I thought I'd probably not see again anytime soon.

Drayco21

So the HasCon exclusive Arcee is actually looking decent for a remold. If I didn't already have the Generations one, I would be upset that it doesn't get a general release:

I am really tired of male characters getting lazy female repaints, when they deserve new molds instead. I never found the Generations figure in person, but I'll probably end up passing on this one willingly.

I guess she's at least marginally better than Nautica.

I am really tired of male characters getting lazy female repaints, when they deserve new molds instead. I never found the Generations figure in person, but I'll probably end up passing on this one willingly.

The Generations figure is worth hunting online for. If you live in the EU (or if you live somewhere they ship and don't mind the shipping costs), Kapow Toys is selling the Platinum Autobot Heroes for a really good price right now (70 pounds):
https://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/transformers-platinum-autobot-heroes-5-pack.html
Magnus, Arcee and Springer are all absolute must-haves in my opinion; I don't have the other two (I do have the Drift that Blurr is based on and it's pretty good). Even if you have some of them you could always resell them.

Yeah, I can't fault you for disliking the TR Arcee but for a female character based on a "male" mold, it might be the first time I've seen it pulled off even semi-convincingly.

I guess she's at least marginally better than Nautica.

Yeah, Arcee seems considerably better, if only because Nautica is disappointment made plastic. :(

aparisi2274

New animated show announced- "Transformers Cyberverse." It will replace Robots in Disguise. Seems to be a G1 redux sort of thing, but not many details have been announced. Maybe more at Hascon?

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/08/03/hasbro-reveals-new-animated-series-transformers-cyberverse-346255

G1 Redux? Straight into my veins.

As long as they get Cullen and Welker to reprise their roles as OP and Megs, I will watch the shit out of this show.

I know that much, but I didn't take the time to see it was my point :p
Like, I don't know what sort of person he is, what his goal was, etc.

Same, although my money is on "an Optimus Prime type person", and "to protect others". :D
I actually have the original toy, it's pretty nice, although the lion face is downright friendly.
By the way, what was this one called? It's a third party, right?

NEO0MJ

Same, although my money is on "an Optimus Prime type person", and "to protect others". :D
I actually have the original toy, it's pretty nice, although the lion face is downright friendly.
By the way, what was this one called? It's a third party, right?

Probably, lol. And yeah, the original Lio Convoy lion head was stupid friendly XD

As for the toy above, yeah it's 3P. Perfect Effect's Origin Leonidas. It looks absolutely amazing, but has some flaws. The ball joints that connect the legs to the hips are loose and can't hold it well, but that can be fixed. The bigger problem is that the tail and chest joints are fragile and can break. I'm careful not to touch them.

Probably, lol. And yeah, the original Lio Convoy lion head was stupid friendly XD

As for the toy above, yeah it's 3P. Perfect Effect's Origin Leonidas. It looks absolutely amazing, but has some flaws. The ball joints that connect the legs to the hips are loose and can't hold it well, but that can be fixed. The bigger problem is that the tail and chest joints are fragile and can break. I'm careful not to touch them.

Ah, so it's a variation on their Leonidas, that explains why it looked similar but different and also why I couldn't find info on any other non-Leonidas Lio Convoy. :D

I can't find lion mode pictures worth a damn beyond this one, just in case you want to post some more images of it. :)

NEO0MJ

Ah, so it's a variation on their Leonidas, that explains why it looked similar but different and also why I couldn't find info on any other non-Leonidas Lio Convoy. :D

I can't find lion mode pictures worth a damn beyond this one, just in case you want to post some more images of it. :)

I tried to do but until I fix the legs it won't hold well. Plus I was absolutely terrified in a few parts that felt like they were going to break and so decided to stop. Here is a pic of lion mode taken by another guy, though.

1813.png

It's obliviously not the main attraction ' ^_^

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I crapped out at TRU looking for MPM Bee but found one for retail on eBay so that worked out. Hopefully I have similar luck with Prime, and any time Hasbro wants to announce the third one (assumed to be 2007 Barricade), that'd be great.

Question about mtmte 38
Why did they send the message via the phone for again?

Unless I'm misinterpreting you, I think the scene is pretty clear:
Tailgate wanted to avoid the "bad stuff" that had been happening to them since takeoff, and then everyone, being the lovable losers that they are, chimed in. Only, as Cyclonus points out, everything they try to prevent actually has a net positive effect, so it's pretty fortunate that apparently nobody was around to receive the message
. Do you mean something more subtle?

Revisiting issue 38 made me miss Alex Milne's hyper detailed style, it's truly amazing visually. However, it also cleared up a lingering issue about Rung, which someone else also commented on (Lost Light spoilers, so beware):

Someone pointed out the inconsistency of
the council saying they had found out what he turned into, when the important thing is that he can produce crystals (regardless of form)
. However the dialogue is:

One-Of-Twelve: We've worked you out, Rung. We know what you turn into - and it's the very last thing we want.
Rung: Knowing what someone turns into is not the same as knowing what someone's for. And you've helped me work out what I'm for. If you pull that trigger, it's the beginning of the end. So go on... squeeze.

In other words,
the council worked out that he can turn into a drill that can access Vector Sigma (which, considering they themselves turn into the key to Vector Sigma, would be catastrophic as it would both make them useless and cause them to lose exclusive access to it), but Rung (as shown in Lost Light) is aware of his own true role, that of creating crystals which are now the only way for Cybertronians to reproduce, since the hotspots went cold. Therefore, his death would indeed be the beginning of the end of the Cybertronian race.

Ladies and gentlemen, James Roberts! The only thing that remains somewhat unclear (although it's not particularly important to the story) is
why the council didn't kill him: either they were or became also already aware of this, or they considered he would be too dangerous as a martyr

NEO0MJ

Ladies and gentlemen, James Roberts! The only thing that remains somewhat unclear (although it's not particularly important to the story) is
why the council didn't kill him: either they were or became also already aware of this, or they considered he would be too dangerous as a martyr

Didn't they plan on using him to create an Army to conquer the universe?

Didn't they plan on using him to create an Army to conquer the universe?

Yeah, that's my point:
that plan needs them to know about his crystal-creation power, and in that scene they don't seem to know. Obviously, we know they learned as much by the time the Lost Lighters arrive in the functionist universe, but when exactly did they figure it out? Possibilities, again:
- They already knew when they threatened in MTMTE 38, so the threat was really a bluff (perhaps as a kind of psychological torment).
- They already knew when they threatened him, but hadn't yet decided to use him to make an army (so their threat is real, they just changed their mind and decided to use him rather than kill him).
- They didn't know at all, but Rung told right after or even during that scene, which made them decide not to kill him.
- They didn't know at all, and Rung either didn't tell them either, or told them but they didn't believe him. However they still decided not to execute Rung outright for a different reason (not to make a martyr out of him, etc.), and later on found ot by themselves (this is the least likely explanation).

NEO0MJ

Yeah, that's my point:
that plan needs them to know about his crystal-creation power, and in that scene they don't seem to know. Obviously, we know they learned as much by the time the Lost Lighters arrive in the functionist universe, but when exactly did they figure it out? Possibilities, again:
- They already knew when they threatened in MTMTE 38, so the threat was really a bluff (perhaps as a kind of psychological torment).
- They already knew when they threatened him, but hadn't yet decided to use him to make an army (so their threat is real, they just changed their mind and decided to use him rather than kill him).
- They didn't know at all, but Rung told right after or even during that scene, which made them decide not to kill him.
- They didn't know at all, and Rung either didn't tell them either, or told them but they didn't believe him. However they still decided not to execute Rung outright for a different reason (not to make a martyr out of him, etc.), and later on found ot by themselves (this is the least likely explanation).

I thought the janitor witnessed was Rung making a crystal?

I thought the janitor witnessed was Rung making a crystal?

I completely forgot about that, thanks a lot! That solves some of the questions above... but also brings more questions!
When did that happen, before or after the MTMTE scene? Did they figure out what that crystal was immediately? People seem to assume that was right before the MTMTE scene and in fact what it prompted it, but as per my original post that doesn't quite add up.

Tizoc

Oh I see
I was confused why they kept telling them NOT to do the stuff that happened.

Thanks for clearing it up.
I've been doing a re-read recently and I prob. should do some quick write ups. Might get off my lazy ass and start it tomorrow :p

caliph95

Transformers Lost Light #8

Huh while it make sense with how
works and the fact they are robots. I should expected
Transgender
transformers but that was still surprising. Never thought it Will be something I see

Though I hate that it reminds of the
TRANSformers
video

Top Bottom