• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut coming to PC as a free upgrade on Oct 31st

http://superflatgames.com/wordpress/?p=1348

i have quietly been beavering away over the last few months to bring this enormous update back to the format it began life on. it was originally going to be a very slightly updated version of the original game, but turned into a ten-month odyssey. i was able to add all the little details which i wasn’t able to squeeze in the first time round, so that i could bring my original vision to you with no compromises, and with them a whole load of new ideas that emerged as i worked on it.

almost without fail, business-minded friends and colleagues, as well as the players themselves, expected i would release the game as a brand new version, requiring the players of the original game to purchase it again, or at the very least to release the update as paid DLC. i gave it a huge amount of thought, and eventually i realised i would rather just give the update away for FREE to all 800,000+ customers, to say thank you for your support… and that’s exactly what i’m going to do!

yep, you heard it right: Lone Survivor – The Director’s Cut is going to be 100% FREE to anyone who has bought the game so far (even for $0.01 in the Humble Bundle!)

to offset some of the (quite large) costs of making it, i will be having a small price increase on release, although i’ll be running a sale for the first couple of days so that it’ll still be possible to purchase at the original price before the increase. exact pricing TBA on release day, as i am still talking to the various vendors. on the subject of which, i am very happy to announce that the game will also be coming to Good Old Games, a fantastic site doing great work to preserve the classics of yesteryear, as well as releasing the greatest of the latest.

what’s really cool is that your saved game from the original version will still be compatible with The Director’s Cut. in fact, it’s even possible to start out in one version and switch to the other mid-game. so you may want to keep a copy of the original around, for posterity, and to compare the differences.

the response to the PlayStation versions has been wonderful, with the game earning not-too-shabby 84% on Metacritic. i am so happy to see a new generation of console players discover the game, which marks the end of a massively important chapter of my life. thanks so much to Curve studios for their fantastic ports, and especially to all the players who have supported the game.

i really hope all my PC and Mac owning brethren enjoy The Director’s Cut,

love and peace to you all!

- jasper

Very cool! This is a great game, and apparently he added a ton of stuff to The Director's Cut. For a long time he wasn't even sure if he would bring The Director's Cut changes to PC, since the DC was originally created for PS3/Vita. Happy to see this.

If anybody is interested in the game, I highly recommend checking it out. It's a 2D horror game, very much in the vein of the old Silent Hill games. Most frightening 2D game I've ever played, at least -- in fact, I haven't finished it. Will plan on doing so once the Director's Cut is released.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How generous! Looking forward to it

Radogol

i am so happy to see a new generation of console players discover the game, which marks the end of a massively important chapter of my life

A new generation of players, seriously? It's the exact same generation, just different hardware.

EDIT: Game's great by the way, truly a fantastic Silent Hill clone. Comes highly recommended.

Andrefpvs

Cool, I have this and haven't played it yet.

I'll just wait to see if it comes to PS+ in December because I'd rather play it on a handheld.

Category G

Neo Member
I enjoyed my play through of Lone Survivor, even if I felt the plot was a bit too ambiguous. Might dive into the Director's Cut if I'm not too busy with Deadly Premonition or something.

Mr_Zombie

I still have to finish the game. I've died just at the last boss fight (at least I think it was the last boss fight) and my last save was from over an hour before the fight. :(

The game itself is great. It really feels like a 2D Silent Hill game, with some nice mind-fucks here and there.

Boerseun

Banned
Do we have a list of what exactly is included with the update?

(Sadly can't look it up myself -- on a VERRRYY slow connection tonight. GAF loads but not much else.)

graywolf323

Gold Member
I just added a short description to the OP, but it's basically a 2D horror game. Feels kinda like the old Silent Hill games. It's pretty frightening.

well I'm happy I've spent money on it to support the dev but I didn't realize it was that scary :-s guess I'll never play it then (even though I bought it on both Steam and PSN >_<)

Mr_Zombie

Well, I also have a hard time with scary games in general. =\ It's pretty easy to frighten me. Perhaps others can chime in on whether they found it scary or not?

It's more creepy than scary. There's no (or very little) jump scares. Enemies are rather easy to kill and there's a lot of supplies (if you use them wisely). However, there's at least one section where you have to run from a monster in a "labyrinth" of corridors. Other than that, it's more disturbing than scary. As many (me included) already mentioned, think of Silent Hill (2) but in 2D.

untitledbckdc.png

He mentioned in a later tweet that it was supposed to be a two month exclusivity window.

CHC

Oh how nice... Now I'm definitely going to double dip on my Vita just to support this kind of behavior. I never did finish the game and I'd rather complete it in my dark bed than upright at my desk.

Just completed Lone Survivor on PC a little over a week ago. It was a great game, even of the story was a bit unclear as a poster above said. This guy's music is unreal. He did the score screen music in Hotline Miami and there are many songs in Lone Survivor that I can see myself listening for a long time to come.

I don't think I'm ready to dive into LS again at the moment, but it's a very nice gesture by Jesper. Any fan of Silent Hill 1-3 who hasn't played LS should check this game out immediately.

Got it when it came out on PSN a few weeks back. Loved it.

Glad to see that early supporters on PC get the additions for free.

I enjoyed my play through of Lone Survivor, even if I felt the plot was a bit too ambiguous. Might dive into the Director's Cut if I'm not too busy with Deadly Premonition or something.

I'm pretty sure one of the new endings resolves this, at least for me there was one ending that was head and tails more "clear" than the others.

SJRB

Gold Member
Bought this game off of Steam just now, but what the hell is going on with its absurd resolution/font size? Combined with the super-agressive scanline/pixel layer it's giving me a headache. The only way to play is to mash Q about 150 times to crank down the ratio considerably. The game doesn't even have a menu where I can set this sort of stuff.

What the hell was the developer thinking?

Top Bottom