• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Only a Yankee deals in absolutes.

omCIh02.jpg

BFIB

I went to new Busch in '06 to assist in our ATM installs, since its right by our main BOA office. This was early March, and it looked like there was a lot to go yet. A lot of seats hadn't been installed, since old Busch was being tore down, there was a lot of debris still there to get moved out to complete the area out in CF.

Came back for another install a few weeks later and was amazed at how much they got done. When it opened, there was a section over on left field terrace that hadn't been completed all the way, but it was fully operational by mid-May or so.

BFIB

Time for some history lessons to get us all pumped for the new season. Starting in the AL East:

1. Baltimore Orioles

World Series Titles: 3 (1966, 1970, 1983)
AL Pennants (7) (1944, '66, '69, '70, '71, '79, '83)

The Baltimore Orioles are an American professional baseball team based in Baltimore, Maryland. The Orioles compete in Major League Baseball (MLB) as a member of the American League (AL) East division. One of the AL's eight charter franchises when the league was established in 1901 with President Ban Johnson, this particular franchise spent its first year as a major league club in Milwaukee, Wisconsin as the Milwaukee Brewers before moving to St. Louis, Missouri to become the St. Louis Browns. After 52 often-beleaguered years in St. Louis, the franchise was purchased in November 1953 by Baltimore business interests led by Clarence Miles. The franchise officially moved to Baltimore for the 1954 season and adopted the historic "Orioles" name in honor of the official state bird of Maryland. The Orioles name had also been used by several previous major and minor league baseball clubs in Baltimore, including the franchise that would eventually become the New York Yankees. Nicknames for the team include the "O's" and the "Birds".

The Orioles experienced their greatest success from 1964 to 1983 and have won a total of nine division championships (1969–1971, 1973–1974, 1979, 1983, 1997, 2014), six pennants (1966, 1969–1971, 1979, 1983), three World Series championships (1966, 1970, 1983), three wild card berths (1996, 2012, 2016), and five Most Valuable Player Awards (third baseman Brooks Robinson in 1964, outfielder Frank Robinson in 1966, first baseman Boog Powell in 1970, and shortstop Cal Ripken, Jr. in 1983 and 1991).

After suffering a stretch of 14 straight losing seasons from 1998 to 2011, the team has qualified for the postseason three times since 2012, including a division title and advancement to the ALCS for the first time in 17 years in 2014. The Orioles are also well known for their successful stadium, the trend-setting Oriole Park at Camden Yards, which opened in 1992 in downtown Baltimore.

Ballparks:

Memorial Stadium:

1024px-Baltimore_Memorial_Stadium_1991.jpg

Camden Yards:

Oriole_Park_at_Camden_Yards,_O's_vs_Mariners,_8-1-2014.jpg

Also see:

History of the St. Louis Browns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_St._Louis_Browns

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Buster olney twitter said:
The Braves and Reds have finished the agreement on the Brandon Phillips deal. Just checking boxes now before the announcement.
Hearing that the Reds are paying nearly his entire salary is making me hold my breath.
Yep same here. They are saying minimal return but their idea of minimal is probably different than mine.

And i wonder what the braves did to change his mind. He was thanking his agent on twitter. Better not be an extension. Dan Uggla part 2.

Beckx

ahahahaha

@BMcCarthy32 19 hours ago

Piers Morgan has turned into real life Wile E. Coyote

@piersmorgan

Piers Morgan Retweeted Brandon McCarthy
Speaking as a @Dodgers fan, I'd focus on your deteriorating pitching Brandon - or it's back to the minor leagues soon.

@BMcCarthy32 18 hours ago

Brandon McCarthy Retweeted Piers Morgan
Oh Piers you silly man, you're a disgraced newspaper editor spending his Saturday searching himself online. Your life is the minor leagues.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Jim bowden said:
Phillips passed physical.
Jim bowden said:
Phillips will get no-trade from #Braves with an assignment bonus
i guess this means no ozzie this season.

Also first NTC given out by the braves that i can recall.
why is this trade happening? I don't get it
Sean Rodriguez out for 3-5 months because of that car crash.

Edit: finally:
Multiple baseball sources: Reds to receive 27-year-old LHP Andrew McKirahan and 29-year-old RHP Carlos Portuondo.
https://twitter.com/zachenq/status/830792713872093184

Minimal is probably too strong of a word for those two.

HeySeuss

I'm sad to see Brandon go, he was definitely a fan favorite and one of the best defense 2nd basemen in the game. His batting has fallen off as of late tho.

Choomp

Banned
Annoying? BP is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Dude's constantly smiling and having fun. Need more players like him to grow the game to younger kids.

Yeah, I should've used a better word. I meant they'd be a really pesky team to play against

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just now seeing who they gave up. Literally, those two are less valuable than I could have possibly imagined it would be, even knowing the Reds were desperate.

Trade makes zero sense for the Reds. It's not like they have a red-hot 2B prospect that Phillips was blocking. Why pay him $13 million to play for someone else when you basically got junk back in return? They must have just desperately wanted Phillips off the team, but he doesn't strike me as a toxic presence.

This is definitely the first time the Braves have ever done a no-trade clause though. I'm fine with it for one year.

EDIT: Coppolella himself put out a press release saying that the Braves did not give Phillips a no-trade. He said Phillips' contract has a limited no-trade clause where he can block trades to 12 teams that they are rolling back to since he doesn't have full 10/5 no-trade rights anymore. He made it clear that the Braves are forced to oblige that limited no-trade and they would pay him a $500k assignment bonus if he's traded.

Silver's checklist for staying alive:

1: don't say anything controversial
2: don't try to be personal in attacks
3: say things like 'ketchup on hot dogs is alright' and 'no DH in AL anymore'
4: ????
5: Profit!

That being said, lets get off on the right foot and show off some gems of full baseball games that I found on Youtube. To make it even better, they're NBC's Game of the Week!

Cubs - Giants, 1989

Blue Jays - Twins, 1989

Expos - Reds, 1988

Yankees - White Sox, 1985

Dick Enberg! Vin Scully! Marv Albert! Bob Costas!

One thing I really noticed about the NBC GOW's in the 80's was that they weren't afraid to give Canadian teams primetime coverage. I'm trying to remember the last time the Jays were on primetime TV in the US that wasn't a playoff game. Last year's season opener in New York?

Baseball Prospectus has released it's list of the top 101 prospects coming into 2017.

1. Alex Reyes, RHP, St. Louis Cardinals
Scouting Report: LINK

2. Dansby Swanson, SS, Atlanta Braves

3. Andrew Benintendi, OF, Boston Red Sox

4. J.P. Crawford, SS, Philadelphia Phillies

5. Yoan Moncada, 2B/3B, Chicago White Sox

6. Austin Meadows, OF, Pittsburgh Pirates

7. Victor Robles, OF, Washington Nationals

8. Amed Rosario, SS, New York Mets

9. Eloy Jimenez, OF, Chicago Cubs

10. Lucas Giolito, RHP, Chicago White Sox

Strange to see no Vladdy Guerrero Jr. on the list for the Jays, considering he was ranked 34th on MLB.com's 2017 prospect pipeline, and 20th on Baseball America's list.

Though, as someone in /r/baseball points out: "One thing that comes into play with all of these lists is where the scouts are located themselves. BP is excellent, but heavily located in the Northeast and Florida, so it tends to skew towards players they've seen in the area. GCL darlings like Sandy Alcantara and Juan Soto are much higher here because the scouts are more familiar with them."

gamz

Baseball Prospectus has released it's list of the top 101 prospects coming into 2017.

Strange to see no Vladdy Guerrero Jr. on the list for the Jays, considering he was ranked 34th on MLB.com's 2017 prospect pipeline, and 20th on Baseball America's list.

Though, as someone in /r/baseball points out: "One thing that comes into play with all of these lists is where the scouts are located themselves. BP is excellent, but heavily located in the Northeast and Florida, so it tends to skew towards players they've seen in the area. GCL darlings like Sandy Alcantara and Juan Soto are much higher here because the scouts are more familiar with them."

Can't wait to see Eloy Jimenez in ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom