• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kingdom Hearts III Olympus Gameplay Screenshot

RK128

Also never forget.

TWEWY-iOS-Sequel-Tease.jpg

Why, Nomura? why?

My bet was that a sequel was in production at the end of the iOS port but for some reason it got canned. While it isn't much compensation, at least the World Ends with You cast appeared in Dream Drop Distance; nice to see 3D models of some of the cast at the very least.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I would trade away the FFVII remake for almost anything tbh. That game's gonna be an anchor on Square for a decade, I guarantee it.

I can see the VII Remake flopping actually. It doesn't have the same charm of the original and if the reviews aren't at least 90+ it's going to be seen as a failure (after all that time and hype).

I can see the VII Remake flopping actually. It doesn't have the same charm of the original and if the reviews aren't at least 90+ it's going to be seen as a failure (after all that time and hype).

I honestly hope it flops. We just discussed ITT how Square clearly don't have the people or resources available to tackle multiple large projects and get them out within any respectable timeframe, and then they dedicate what they do have to create a monstrously huge remake to a game people have already played. At the rate they're going now, if they actually go through with all the episodes they intend to make, we might not see FFXVI or a KHIV or whatever until 2030, let alone an ambitious new AAA IP.

My bet was that a sequel was in production at the end of the iOS port but for some reason it got canned. While it isn't much compensation, at least the World Ends with You cast appeared in Dream Drop Distance; nice to see 3D models of some of the cast at the very least.
TWEWY2 should be built from the ground up for iOS tbh. No more dual screen platforms a year from now anyway.

Interesting that the Ex gauge has been replaced by Focus. I assume Sora's sticking with drive forms/summons still instead of shotlock.

Not sure how I feel about the idea of each Keyblade having its own drive form if that's what we're seeing, though. I'm down for Keyblades having a full set of their own passive abilities but I feel like the fundamental gameplay systems really ought to feel the same.

Shotlocks were in previous KH3 footage and 2.8. I'd guess that they're definitely in.

Though, yes, that brings up the question of how Forms work this time around. It could be the same as the Style from 2.8, but that seems a bit too cumbersome.

Breakage

You'll get a screenshot then a one minute trailer and this cycle will repeat for years till Kotaku gets a leak saying the project is in trouble.

bigmac996

Yeah that one is bad why don't use a sprite/2d image like previous games.

Maybe Nomura wants the health bar icon to be in real time? Kinda like the early FFXV footage where the character face icons would react to whatever action was happening on screen. Seems kind of pointless though.

Square should be putting out more media about this game and not drip feeding us once in a blue moon.

This game was announced 4 years ago and they hardly have anything to show off for it. I adore KH1 and KH2, but the wait for this game has been the worst. The spin-offs and other entries in the series is fine, but they should have focused on getting out KH3 a long time ago.

If we don't hear anything substantial by E3, this game isn't coming out until 2020 at this rate.

Maybe Nomura wants the health bar icon to be in real time? Kinda like the early FFXV footage where the character face icons would react to whatever action was happening on screen. Seems kind of pointless though.

Pointless extravagance has been Square's MO for years, if not decadss.

It's a shame Man. Killing my hype. I know when they announced it they basically just started developing but damn at this point we still are getting drip fed screenshots of the same world(first world at that)

Mr.Fox

My bet is that Nomura had at best an idea for it and not even a preproject, but square-enix is so freaking starved of anything exciting to show off that they went all trigger happy with the teasing.

I don't think they cancelled TWEWY 2, I think they never even started.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
FFVII-R hate has me like

aa69ed012a1ce3def4972c6769c71900.gif

KH3 looks really cool though.

I think the real reason Nomura projects take so long is because Square basically gives him carte blanche. KH 2.8 even charting on NPD last month is crazy considering what it was (a paid demo and an HD remake of one of the worst games in the series), so I think they know the franchise is a seller, and at the end of the day it's basically Nomura's franchise. They'll give him all the time he wants.

He just needs to reign himself in.

Hasn't KH3 been in development since 2013? How could this be taking this long? It's not like the Kingdom Hearts games are massive huge RPGs like The Witcher which take a long time to make

Hasn't KH3 been in development since 2013? How could this be taking this long? It's not like the Kingdom Hearts games are massive huge RPGs like The Witcher which take a long time to make

They switched from the Luminous engine to UE4 in 2015, so that was probably a big setback. Luminous is apparently not great to develop for, but it was their big internal engine at the time. Now it'll probably never be used again after only being used in FFXV.

Looks fantastic too.

Hopefully back to back trailers for this and FF7R in Sony's E3 this year since they put out a new screen for both of these to get people talking again.

It was announced in 2013, so it had to be in development long before that lol....

Nope. It was announced in 2013 because they knew people wanted to hear about it coming off of Dream Drop Distance, because DDD makes it clear that it is the last game before 3. It had only just barely started to be made when they revealed it at E3.

Top Bottom