• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: The Need for Speed Revisited on 3DO/PC/PS1/Saturn!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hope people enjoy this one - I had less time than usual to work on it so I didn't get to do everything I had wanted. Maybe when I look at the next game I can go all out.

My memories of Need for Speed on the PS1 are held quite fondly. And, if I remember correctly, it came in a cardboard "big box." I'm looking forward to watching this!

UnNamed

Banned
I think The Need for Speed is still the best in the serie.
Later episodes are too much arcade for my taste, for example NFS2 wasn't very polished. They come back to simulation with Shift but it was something different.

Yarbskoo

I should pick up the SE version sometime. I kinda prefer the brighter visuals of the 3DO version, but the framerate is awful. I've got the Playstation version, but I never really put much play time into it.

The music in this episode is godlike. Is it mostly from NFS2? That one had an amazing soundtrack.

Daffy Duck

That was a great video.

So many memories of playing SE with my cousin on his dads PC.

Love this series and the early games were so good.

Would be interested in seeing a video on NFS 2.

The Cycles! I remember that bike racing game what a cool game for it's time

NFS was one of the first ps1 games I played as a kid, and it was with a steering wheel too.

dark10x

Good lord was this game a dog on 3DO. Even back in the day it felt sluggish.
True but, compared to its contemporaries on home consoles, it actually wasn't that bad. It still ran at least twice as fast as Stunt Race FX on the SNES or Club Drive on the Jag.

The 3DO was really a little too early when it came to handling 3D graphics.

M3d10n

Hold on, I remember the Saturn version having music during races. There's a menu for music selection and you can actually hear it in the video.

I would also have appreciated if you talked about the secret fictional car.

jett

D-Member
I remember being amazed when I looked at screens of the 3DO version on EGM and whatnot. It was a massive jump over my poor lil SNES.

The only experience I have with the original NFS is playing the PC demo that came bundled with some magazine probably. It's actually the menus/FMV and that silly X-Man what I remembered the most while watching this video lol.

comparing the visuals I prefer the 3DO approach, it was slightly softer and felt nicer then the harder darker shades from the ports, the slightly blue tinted road adds a lot to the feeling.

Also if you look up sega saturn NFS footage on youtube some of them have working car dials, was it something maybe added in to a different region version? https://youtu.be/sHy6NsT4sAI

dark10x

Hold on, I remember the Saturn version having music during races. There's a menu for music selection and you can actually hear it in the video.

I would also have appreciated if you talked about the secret fictional car.
That's just background music I included in the video. I didn't get any music during actual gameplay.

M3d10n

That's just background music I included in the video. I didn't get any music during actual gameplay.
Weird, I played the shit out of the Saturn version and I have strong memories of racing while "Aaahheehhahhh" was playing in the background. Did you check the options? Maybe there are different builds after all.

dark10x

Weird, I played the shit out of the Saturn version and I have strong memories of racing while "Aaahheehhahhh" was playing in the background. Did you check the options? Maybe there are different builds after all.
Thats super weird then. Now I'm concerned that my Saturn is acting up. I'll try one of my other systems. I was surprised to find no music on Saturn so maybe you're right and it just didn't play for some reason. There is music in the GT-R version, at least.

Thats super weird then. Now I'm concerned that my Saturn is acting up. I'll try one of my other systems. I was surprised to find no music on Saturn so maybe you're right and it just didn't play for some reason. There is music in the GT-R version, at least.

This youtube video seems to be on saturn, with music and dials.

I've never owned a saturn to say if the drive can fault like that but I do know resident evil will get HUGE loading times for each door if the laser is uncalibrated.

dark10x

This youtube video seems to be on saturn, with music and dials.

I've never owned a saturn to say if the drive can fault like that but I do know resident evil will get HUGE loading times for each door if the laser is uncalibrated.
Hmmm...

Well, I used my Japanese Saturn with the US disc so maybe it caused some sort of incompatibility. That's very strange indeed.

bosseye

Loved the Saturn version. My friend and I used to play it for hours in split screen. The crashing was so good! Especially when you both got tangled up and went tumbling down the road.

Someone needs to make basically the point to point races from this game but with BeamNG physics. I would explode with joy.

It amaze me that Need for Speed in 32bits console looks playable and fun even today. Maybe Ill give it a try

Great episode as usual dark!!

Bydobob

Had the Saturn version myself and I don't remember there being music either. It's possible I turned it off though. One of the things I liked about the game were the long, atmospheric races across mountainous countryside. That music would have ruined it for me.

Great video. Never realised there were so many differences across platforms.

Corrupt

The PC version looks weird compared to the others. The other versions' cockpit view reacts to movements and impacts, whereas the PC version remains static making it look like an image (with moving wheel and dials) pasted over a game.

Paz

Awesome video, my memories are mostly of the SE release for PC and sitting in those car description screens, what a phenomenal game :)

Still boggles my mind years later to have formed a company with Jeff who worked on games like this that were a huge part of my gaming history heh.

Edit - Re sound, could be a PAL vs NTSC thing? It was the era of completely different builds for different regions after all.

Oneself

Oooo interesting, watching it now.

Oh god, I loved Test Drive The Duel.
Downshifting to drive past big trucks near a ravine... I miss that. It's the only game ever that featured such thrills.

Also, The NFS is so insanely amazing thanks to nostalgia!!

Thanks Dark10X, great work. I didn't know who EA Canada were, it makes so much sense!

dark10x

Awesome video, my memories are mostly of the SE release for PC and sitting in those car description screens, what a phenomenal game :)

Still boggles my mind years later to have formed a company with Jeff who worked on games like this that were a huge part of my gaming history heh.

Edit - Re sound, could be a PAL vs NTSC thing? It was the era of completely different builds for different regions after all.
Ahhh, it MIGHT be a PAL vs NTSC thing, actually. Very good point there. The Saturn version posted in the video above is of the PAL release and I used the NTSC version.

...and yeah, I still would love to chat with Jeff about his work on these games in the future. NFS2 would make a good spot for that since there are only two versions.

I had to rush this episode out, though, so I didn't get to do everything I wanted.

Hope people enjoy this one - I had less time than usual to work on it so I didn't get to do everything I had wanted. Maybe when I look at the next game I can go all out.
Thank you. Road Rash next please. I remember having a great time with Road Rash on 3D0.

cool...i hope the next DF Retro will be Dead Or Alive 2...that game has so many version on so many platforms (all with variable performance), it really deserved to be under the DF microscope.

Great video John! I always dismissed the need for speed games because I was too much into Sega racing games but looking at it now it actually looks good fun.

s_mirage

Good lord was this game a dog on 3DO. Even back in the day it felt sluggish.

I didn't find that personally. Yes, the frame rate wasn't great, but the cars in the 3DO version felt as if they had weight, they felt like an attempt at simulating actual machines. Though they were much smoother, the subsequent ports felt like they were on crack and had eschewed the early 90s attempts at realism in exchange for unrealistic speed.

comparing the visuals I prefer the 3DO approach, it was slightly softer and felt nicer then the harder darker shades from the ports, the slightly blue tinted road adds a lot to the feeling.

3DO games in general tended to be more colourful or have higher resolution assets than their Playstation or Saturn ports. Road Rash and Space Hulk are two games where this is readily apparent. Supposedly this is because the 3DO could use pretty much arbitrary colour depths (and maybe texture sizes, can't remember) for textures, where the Playstation could not. This meant that the Playstation ports had to either opt for lower or higher colour depth textures, but there typically wasn't enough RAM for the latter.

Croash

Another sweet video, thanks John!

Brought memories of my childhood where I'd often play racing games on Windows, including TNFS SE. I think it helped me understand how far video games had come, considering Hot Pursuit 2 was already available by then.

Might I suggest a look at Mobil 1 Rally Championship (nicknamed Rally Championship 2000), released in 1999 on Windows. I think it was quite the looker so maybe it deserves a mention should you ever talk about other racing games.

lazygecko

The way the 2D assets are distorted is fascinating. It looks like those 2D buildings get more horizontally stretched as they get closer to the edge of the screen as some form of perspective correction when they are juxtaposed against the true 3D environment. Feels like something of a natural iteration of the faux 3D raster racers.

Accoun

This is one of the earliest games I remember playing. I remember it mostly because of the Dodge Viper.
I was never into cars and by then, I only knew the car from the TV series. I played it at my older cousin's place - I picked the Viper, started a race and asked him how do I shoot rockets, because it had lots of weapons in the show.

Zafir

Nice video, always interesting to see the roots of popular series. I always kind of forget how old the series actually is.

Top Bottom