• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Hudson Soft live on as NdCube?

Celine

Now that Mario Party 9, you can take a look at the game's credits and see for yourself how much of Hudson's staff migrated to Nintendo's new party game studio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPplbAv0nSo&context=C3563761ADOEgsToPDskIhROY_KgY8kNx-xpQMeOTj

At a first glance, it looks like quite a few of them worked on MP8 at least. Someone else, who knows more about Hudson, can probably provide a better overview.
I thought it was known that most Monegi staff ( Mario Party developer ) went into NdCube.

Shiggy

I thought it was known that most Monegi staff ( Mario Party developer ) went into NdCube.

Monegi was shut down in the early 2000s, wasn't it? We also didn't know how much staff moved over as Wii Pary didn't include any credits, for whatever reason.

Mario Party 9 Staff

Game Director
Shuichiro Nishiya

Chief Planning Director
Tatsumitsu Watanabe

Planning Directors
Takeru Sugimoto
Yuji Asano
Shigeru Okita
Makoto Eguchi
Hiroyuki Seki
Noriyuki Saeki
Satoru Imamura
Fumihisa Sato

Planning
Yuki Maruyama
Naoaki Yamashita
Hayato Minagawa
Naonari Kaga
Yukiko Nakata
Tsuyoshi Matsumoto
Masashi Oishi
Atsushi Nakao
Yuya Rokuyama
Satomi Yamakawa
Hiroshi Kurimoto
Shigeyasu Ohashi
Junnosuke Tsuchimoto
Ayumu Kawashiro
Kenta Ogawa
Yamato Sato
Yohei Nakata
Ryota Saruwatari

Chief Programming Director
Shinji Shibasaki

Programming Directors
Noriyasu Arata
Tadao Shohyama (2 profiles since like three other folks worked on MP and as well as Road Trip and Sky Odyssey)
Akihiro Terada (make that 4 lol)
Haruhiko Tanuma

Programming
Tadamasa Ishizaka
Shinichi Hiramori
Kazuhiro Enami
Hisashi Yoshida
Masayuki Shinohara
Tetsuro Kani
Shinnosuke Ohashi
Izumi Fukuda
Takashi Iwanaga
Norifumi Hira
Takahiro Matsumoto
Yasutaka Ikeda
Daizou Yamauchi
Hiroyuki Watanabe
Junichi Nagasaki
Sayaka Fukuyama
Nobuya Wada
Tomoaki Tanaka
Daichi Ishii
Kuniaki Miyauchi
Kana Mizota
Takanori Ode
Kenichiro Obara
Satoshi Yoshida
Tsubasa Yamaguchi
Masayuki Kino
Aya Yoshii
Takayuki Kimata
Takeshi Hida
Takayuki Hayase

Chief Design Director
Hiroshi Hayashi

Design Directors
Akiyoshi Kakinuma
Takahiro Karino
Takahito Tatezawa
Takahiro Asano
Yukinori Goto (Menu Visual Design on BM64!)

Graphic Design
Toshifumi Sekijima (CG Design Chief on BM64!)
Susumu Kuribayashi
Shunsaku Yamamoto
Kazuhisa Okamoto
Takamitsu Manabe
Kazuaki Henmi
Tsuyoshi Mizuguchi
Nana Tanaka (DBZ Budokai 1 & 2!)
Hayato Ogawa
Masahiko Yamada
Minori Nishioka
Huichung Lee
Tomoaki Watanabe (Official Design Assistant in BM64!)
Natsumi Yamada
Akiko Nishizawa
Hiroko Kinjo
Kango Sumi
Yoko Asari
Hideki Morinaga
Yoshinori Ikeshita
Tsukasa Tanaka
Kanako Uto
Yasuhiro Ando
Akira Mizoguchi
Mikio Kita
Hiroshi Okajima
Yurie Okubo
Shinsuke Miyazaki
Shouhei Higashi
Keisuke Mizutani
Takuya Tawaratsumida
Takayuki Shimokawa
Asami Matsushima
Miki Nakamura
Saki Ideguchi
Miho Yamaguchi
Tadashi Miura
Yumi Futagawa
Shouichi Kawamura
Keisuke Yonaha
Yuka Ogawa
Hiroyuki Okamura
Yoshinori Hirai
Haerim Kang
Mariko Kawase
Arisa Kurosu
Akiko Tanno
Michiyo Nojiri
Rinako Asano
Masafumi Kimura

Sound Director
Hiroyuki Tsuboguchi (Sound Effects in BM64!)

Music Director
Chamy. Ishi (wow, this person also worked on Parappa and Sonic Rush! o_O)

Music
Toshiki Aida (another Parappa person WAT)
Ryosuke Asami

Sound Effects Director
Yuhki Mori (CING?!)

Sound Effects
Kotaro Baba
Tomomitsu Matsushita
Yutaka Takahashi

Sound Supervisor
Koji Kondo

Character Voices
Charles Martinet
Sam Kelly
Deanna Mustard
Kazumi Totaka
Nate Bihldorff
Atsushi Masaki
Kenny James
Caety Sagoian
Takashi Nagasako
Katsumi Suzuki
Motoki Takagi
Delores Rogers
Dex Manley
Toru Asakawa
Jeff Minnerly
Pablo Magaz
Patrick Mugalu

Graphic Supervisors
Kanae Dohta
Sota Kagino
Ryusuke Yoshida
Naoko Ayabe
Tsuyoshi Watanabe

Logo Design
Ryo Koizumi
Shiori Adachi

North American Localization

Localization Management
Nate Bihldorff
Reiko Ninomiya
Tim O'Leary
Leslie Swan

Localization
Mike Drucker
Matylda Kramarz
Anne-Marie Laperriere
Cesar Perez
Galia Rodriguez Hornedo
Ethan Stockton

Debug
NOA Product Testing

Special Thanks
Stephane Arlot
Eric Bush
Scott Callahan
Sean Egan
Nicko Gonzalez De Santiago
Alexandre Higashi
Sara Hoad
Kyle Hudson
Teresa Lillygren
Tomoko Mikami
Masayasu Nakata
Joshua Newman
Kindra Timmerwilke
Marko Wallenius
Stephan Ward
Mitsuo Iwamoto
Takehiro Oyama
Akihiro Sakatani
Miyuki Murato
Tomoyoshi Yamane
Tomomi Sano
Tomohiro Yamamura
Kenji Yamamoto
Akito Nakatsuka
Kensuke Tanabe
Risa Tabata
Mitsuhiro Kadowaki
Osamu Tsujikawa
Akira Matsumoto
Kenji Ohira
Hisao Hasunuma
Mitsuo Hasanuma
Kazuyuki Makishima
Tatsuo Masuda
Shinji Yoshikawa

Coordination
Yoshinori Tsuchiyama
Jumpei Horita

Senior Director
Kenji Kikuchi

Supervisors
Shigeru Miyamoto
Takashi Tezuka

Associate Producer
Miyuki Hirose

Producers
Hiroshi Sato
Atsushi Ikeda

General Producer
Shinya Takahashi

Executive Producers
Satoru Iwata
Shinji Hatano
Hidetoshi Endo

AND THAT'S IT! :D PHEW!

Soon I'll get to the Mobygames profile linking.

If true, it's a crying shame that the Hudson IPs (and the TG-16/PC-Engine legacy) are still under the awful stank of Konami.

Exactly, Nintendo should just buy the IPs, hell just take Bomberman for fuck sake!

And I got some of the Mobygames links above, and yep, by far most of them so far have worked on Mario Party and/or other Hudson IPs!

How many folks even worked at Hudson? Hundreds?

Maybe since so many Hudson folks seem to be at NdCube, Nintendo might just be tempted to buy said IPs. Which were owned by Hudson in the first place...

And wasn't NdCube revitalized just around the time Konami was butchering Hudson? All according to keikaku?

I'm mainly interested in what happened to the staff that worked on the Kororinpa games and Lost In Shadow. Are any of them included in that list?

Hudson's stock of IPs was massive.

Bomberman is the obvious one. When Konami cancelled Bomberman 3DS, I knew it was over. That's pretty much free money.

There's also Adventure Island, Bonk, Alien/Devil's Crush, Star Solider, Dungeon Explorer, etc.

Hudson Soft lives on through this studio, but I'm uncertain about how many of the staff responsible for Hudson's non-party game IPs are at NdCube. Also: the Crush games were done by Naxat Soft, back when they were reputable.

I'm mainly interested in what happened to the staff that worked on the Kororinpa games and Lost In Shadow. Are any of them included in that list?

I found that two Lost in Shadow designers are now two of the graphics designers of MP9 (one of which also worked on Bomberman-fucking-64!!!)! Added above.

No, I don't think Coen (or just you) understands the difference between licensing and intellectual property.

Heroe of Legend said "buy the IPs" in a context that could not be misunderstood. Coen followed it up with the Hamtaro information. His statement would not make sense if it was not trying to refer to the former.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Exactly, Nintendo should just buy the IPs, hell just take Bomberman for fuck sake!

Hudson IPs are meant for yard sales. Being facetious but what value do they have to publishers? Especially Nintendo who has enough problems maintaining some of their niche properties which even then are much more prominent than Hudson Ips.

And wasn't NdCube revitalized just around the time Konami was butchering Hudson? All according to keikaku?

This is the third restructure. Third president.

Hudson IPs are meant for yard sales. Being facetious but what value do they have to publishers? Especially Nintendo who has enough problems maintaining some of their niche properties which even then are much more prominent than Hudson Ips.

This is the third restructure. Third president.

Bomberman is still one of the most iconic characters, certainly more well known than a lot of Nintendo IPs that they don't use or barely use. I'd put him at least at Kirby's level, but of course not on Mario or Pokemon's.

And I was referring to this restructure. I wasn't aware though that there were previous ones, though I do recall a previous president being from Quest.

And I added more links, and shockingly two of the sound team worked on Parappa! o_O

Heroe of Legend said "buy the IPs" in a context that could not be misunderstood. Coen followed it up with the Hamtaro information. His statement would not make sense if it was not trying to refer to the former.

Yeah, I was referring to Nintendo actually buying and OWNING the Bomberman IP. Adding him to their legacy IP catalog that of course includes Mario, DK, Pokemon, Kirby, etc.

bon

I still can't believe Bomberman 3DS got canceled. I was positive Bomberman was the one Hudson franchise that was 100% safe.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Bomberman is still one of the most iconic characters, certainly more well known than a lot of Nintendo IPs that they don't use or barely use. I'd put him at least at Kirby's level, but of course not on Mario or Pokemon's.

Being recognizable is one thing. Take a look at one of the most iconic charactes ever Pacman. But being recognizable and relevant as a lucrative franchise are different things. When has Bomberman sold anything other than mediocre. What potential do you see in the franchise to make it bigger?

Kirby numbers have obliterated Bomberman by the way.

Yeah, I was referring to Nintendo actually buying and OWNING the Bomberman IP. Adding him to their legacy IP catalog that of course includes Mario, DK, Pokemon, Kirby, etc.

Bomberman is just not in the same class. I loved Bomberman '94 and Super Bomberman. Fun games. But I just do not see their relevance as a hot commodity Nintendo needs. It is more suitable for a small publisher willing to digitally exploit the franchise on mobile and downloadable markets.

Being recognizable is one thing. Take a look at one of the most iconic charactes ever Pacman. But being recognizable and relevant as a lucrative franchise are different things. When has Bomberman sold anything other than mediocre. What potential do you see in the franchise to make it bigger?

Kirby numbers have obliterated Bomberman by the way.

Bomberman is just not in the same class. I loved Bomberman '94 and Super Bomberman. Fun games. But I just do not see their relevance as a hot commodity Nintendo needs. It is more suitable for a small publisher willing to digitally exploit the franchise on mobile and downloadable markets.

Hey, if they can revive MP as they did here, with a fresh coat of paint and new ideas, I don't see how they can't do the same with Bomberman. That's just me though. :p

And I thought Bomberman did way better than mediocre. :( Guess not then...

So I decided to actually make a MobyGames account and actually create the MP9 and submit the credits there, and boy was it lengthy and tough at points...

The whole thing should be up shortly.

M-PG71C

Honestly, Nintendo owning Bomberman would be pretty amazing. But Hudson Soft died a slow and painful death from the asshats of Konami so that means....

No more Star Soldier, no more Bomberman, no more original IPs, and no more PC Engine games. :/

Spike

If Nintendo ever buys Bomberman they'll scrap the character and call it "Mario Bomberman."

Wario_Blast_box_art.jpg

Terrell

Now, this is an honest-to-god I-have-no-idea question...

Has there EVER been a recorded instance of a publisher selling an IP to another publisher, not counting takeovers or Sony and their IP yard sales?

I only remember Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, but that Prozac-munching orange marsupial and purple dragon have been in more hands than a hooker's rack and Sony can't wait to dump an IP once they've bled it totally dry (hence why I excluded them... you're next Jak and Daxter!)

Now, this is an honest-to-god I-have-no-idea question...

Has there EVER been a recorded instance of a publisher selling an IP to another publisher, not counting takeovers or Sony and their IP yard sales?

I only remember Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, but that Prozac-munching orange marsupial and purple dragon have been in more hands than a hooker's rack and Sony can't wait to dump an IP once they've bled it totally dry (hence why I excluded them... you're next Jak and Daxter!)

Sony never actually owned Crash and Spyro, they were always owned by Universal Interactive. Sony had an exclusive publishing agreement, and then they decided not to continue it in the turn of the generation, so Universal decided to self-publish and bring the two to other platforms.

Sony does own Jak and Daxter, Ratchet, and Sly Cooper.

The most valuable one (Deca Sports) is pretty redundant when weighed against Nintendo's own properties. Still I do think there's some opportunity there; Bomberman does have retro cache, it would be a good symbolic aquisition (formally christening NdCube as the the new Hudson) plus it doesn't really clash with Nintendo's own IPs. I could also see opportunities for Japan oriented legacy IPs like Tengai Makyo and Momotaru Denetsu although in both those cases Hudson only co-owns the IPs with their creators.

Sony never actually owned Crash and Spyro, they were always owned by Universal Interactive. Sony had an exclusive publishing agreement, and then they decided not to continue it in the turn of the generation, so Universal decided to self-publish and bring the two to other platforms.

Sony does own Jak and Daxter, Ratchet, and Sly Cooper.

The only IP I remember Sony selling offhand was Tenchu to Activision, who in turn sold it to From Software.

Top Bottom