• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2017 | Got 99 problems but 32 bit ain't one

colinp

Banned
I have no clue why it's free.
Only downside is the ultra long tutorial with like 15 dumb easy levels.
The classic game is hard as nails, as I remembered...stuck on level 6.

Awesome find, thanks! Brings back some great memories playing with my neighbor wayback when.

Wish there were more games like Blitz Breaker on the App Store. I'm really in the mood for a simple twitch arcade game that can be played with one hand.

Matt Frost

Wish there were more games like Blitz Breaker on the App Store. I'm really in the mood for a simple twitch arcade game that can be played with one hand.

You are in luck then. You have already available The Last Rocket from Shawn Inman, in my top ten iOS games of all time. Is so much better than BB in every way. More puzzl-y, mechanics, boss fights... and soon releases Swing King and the Temple of Bling, another game like that im beta testing.

You are in luck then. You have already available The Last Rocket from Shawn Inman, in my top ten iOS games of all time. Is so much better than BB in every way. More puzzl-y, mechanics, boss fights... and soon releases Swing King and the Temple of Bling, another game like that im beta testing.
Woah, how have I've never heard of this game before? It looks almost just like BB. Bought, thank you!

PtM

Banned
Is it me or do some of those old 32bit games look a bit more pricey than before?

Last Express, Real Racing 2, Ridiculous Fishing, Threes, even Ziggurat!

Is anyone playing Eggggg? There's a boss in the game with fried chicken drumstick clubs and a basket on his head, and I was wondering if it's possible to beat him. You can get past him and finish the level, but I tried jumping on his head a few times and it doesn't seem to do anything besides make him angry.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Is Nitrome after all, they care

I wouldn't class all developers who aren't updating all or specific apps as "not caring".

Updating to 64bit is non trivial is a lot of cases, not to mention in order to pass modern review you need to be compliant with way more standards than when a game might have been previously approved.

I don't blame anyone for not moving forward with might be a prohibitively costly update. I glad at least that many are taking the hit and doing it anyway.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh, this is the perfect thread for me right now since I got an iPhone 7. Any recommendations for some of the best games all-time? I have Pokémon Go, Mario Run, and Injustice 2.

What's the best baseball? It's hard to figure which games are best since a lot are free up front and you don't know if their systems are annoying or if in the app you could pay for a "full version" that isn't neutered.

I also can't figure how to install games outside of the App Store. Like is the Mac version of Chroma Squad on Humble Bundle different from the phone iOS version? I downloaded a zip which I extracted using iZip and now iZip apparently has a folder called chromasquad.app somewhere on my phone but I don't see the game. It was super easy installing games on my Moto E so this is a bit odd to me.

Oh, this is the perfect thread for me right now since I got an iPhone 7. Any recommendations for some of the best games all-time? I have Pokémon Go, Mario Run, and Injustice 2.
Device 6
Sorcery series
Monument Valley
Card Thief
The Room series
Hero Emblems
Imbroglio
Blackbar
Grayout
80 Days
868-Hack
A Dark Room
Solitarica
Dungeon Warfare
Reigns
RYB
Chameleon Run
Love You To Bits

killercow

What's the best baseball? It's hard to figure which games are best since a lot are free up front and you don't know if their systems are annoying or if in the app you could pay for a "full version" that isn't neutered.

I also can't figure how to install games outside of the App Store. Like is the Mac version of Chroma Squad on Humble Bundle different from the phone iOS version? I downloaded a zip which I extracted using iZip and now iZip apparently has a folder called chromasquad.app somewhere on my phone but I don't see the game. It was super easy installing games on my Moto E so this is a bit odd to me.

You can only install games from iTunes or the App Store. You can't sideload. No Humble Bundle has ever been iOS compatible due to how you generate free codes for apps on iOS.

D: When did this happen?

A couple of days ago.

Matt Frost

Oh, this is the perfect thread for me right now since I got an iPhone 7. Any recommendations for some of the best games all-time? I have Pokémon Go, Mario Run, and Injustice 2

Blast-a-Way
Ridiculous Fishing
Gesundheit
Indiana Stone: The Bold and the Brave
After the End: Forsaken Destiny
Monument Valley
Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin
Clash Royale
The Last Rocket
Power Hover
Downwell
Lost Socks: Naughty Brothers
Tales from Deep Space
Sunshine!
EDGE
Cordy
Lost Winds
Knightmare Tower
Wayward Souls
Duet Game
Trap N Gemstones
80 Days
Out There
Kiwanuka
Tetrobot & Co
Glorkian Warrior: Trials of Glork

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

you gotta check out The Room series - probably my favorite mobile series

This thread has really slowed down compared to previous months.

I'm guessing everyone is either working on there backlog or too busy playing games on other platforms? Can't really blame though, a lot of good games have recently released on PC and console. I know a few people here are also preoccupied with their Switch at the moment to play mobile games. It's understandable.

I'm guessing everyone is either working on there backlog or too busy playing games on other platforms? Can't really blame though, a lot of good games have recently released on PC and console. I know a few people here are also preoccupied with their Switch at the moment to play mobile games. It's understandable.
Pretty much. Some really good indie releases on mobile last week, but I've been preoccupied with RimWorld and Dead Cells on PC, and The Surge and Prey on PS4. And then Rime is coming this week

Actually for mobile, I've been hooked on Brogue lately, rather than any recent releases

too much review stuff mostly here across switch, vita, ps4, xbox, pc. Have put in a total of 10 minutes into planescape torment so far. Been buying stuff on iOS but no time. This week though things get a little free so I will be able to.

Also ive been playing BOTW on switch since late march. not even close to done. So good.

chris121580

Lode Runner 1 is phenomenal and completely free with no IAP. You get 175 levels and 100 Classic levels. An absolute no brainer if you enjoyed the series in the past

awp69

Think there may be some $.99 sale possibly sponsored by Apple starting. A bunch of games dropped to $.99 including:

Leo's Fortune
Chameleon Run
Shadowmatic
Steven Universe Attack the Light (and some other Cartoon Network games)
Bean's Dreams
Assassin's Creed Identity
Warlock's Tower

Could be a coincidence. Guess we'll know if more titles keep popping up.

okno

Anyone else playing Bike Club?
Wacky game, but I'm digging it so far- Bike Club by Set Snail
https://appsto.re/us/ggY7db.i

This is scratching my "just one more" itch so, so nicely. Really enjoying this, although I can see where the IAP will become more in your face. Despite this, it doesn't detract from the chaotic fun of the game, and there is no energy or any timer to speak of (besides the free toolbox you get every few hours.) Super, super cute and very addictive game.

HotHamBoy

I'm personally kind of broke. I have a bunch of stuff in my wishlist.

pic2971899.jpg

Star Realms released a major update last week. In addition to adding some QoL features and changing MP from async to realtime, the Colony Wars expansion was released. This is a stand-alone expansion IRL that features another 80 cards. You can get it as an in-app purchase for $5 and can mix it in with the original set and expansions. The purchase includes a new set of SP campaign missions, too. As always, Star Realms IAP is linked to your Star Realms account and unlocks across all devices.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm personally kind of broke. I have a bunch of stuff in my wishlist.

Star Realms released a major update last week. In addition to adding some QoL features and changing MP from async to realtime, the Colony Wars expansion was released. This is a stand-alone expansion IRL that features another 80 cards. You can get it as an in-app purchase for $5 and can mix it in with the original set and expansions. The purchase includes a new set of SP campaign missions, too. As always, Star Realms IAP is linked to your Star Realms account and unlocks across all devices.

You should probably quote that gigantic image.

bjork

Professional Baseball Spirits Ace on the JP store, by the widest margin possible. Even without being able to read it, the game itself is super great. Worth making a Japanese app store account for, even.

sam12

I also was looking at the lists that a lot of you posted for best games on iPhone of all time. It seems a lot of the final fantasies, jade empire, kotor, mana and other console ports are not well playable on iPhone. Is that true or is there a list of good console ports or console like immersive games for iPhone?

awp69

Running $.99 sale list:
Samorost 3
Machinarium
Flood of Light
Botanicula
Human Resource Machine
Super Sharp
Lumino City
Leo's Fortune
Chameleon Run
Shadowmatic
Steven Universe Attack the Light
Teeny Titans
Bean's Dreams
Assassin's Creed Identity
Warlock's Tower
Rok
Castles of Mad Ludwig
Never Alone: Ki Edition
Don't Starve: Shipwrecked

Oynox

You may add Lumino City to the list.

Armorgames' shoot em up Gemini got updated with 64 bit support and got rid of the always online requirement as well as the social features and now is a "true" single player experience.

killercow

iite lets see how this skullgirls game came out

To me it's the best mobile fighter (outside of the straight ports like Soulcalibur). I've heard that they've tweaked the difficulty right before exiting soft launch though and I didn't get to test that yet.

Can anyone confirm iCloud save sync support before I dip? I hate buying games like this only to then find out I can't play across all my devices.

I've been told that it should work with iCloud.

PittaGAF

To me it's the best mobile fighter (outside of the straight ports like Soulcalibur). I've heard that they've tweaked the difficulty right before exiting soft launch though and I didn't get to test that yet.

Wait, is Soulcalibur on iOS? Where?

I'm playing SkullGirls and while I'm not sold on the setting it's a competent fighter (contrary to apparently everyone else, I had problems with the controls...I prefer Injustice 2 ones), it's really well done, even if free to play.

I know only Injustice 2, Skullgirls, another superheroes one and the silhouette one (the best so far imho, can't recall the name...a sequel is in the works)...are there any other mobile fighter games?
Preferibly premium....and with chars like Killer Instinct instead of half naked bouncing boobs girls.
2D or 3D doesn't matter (I prefer 2D but it's ok).

Never considered these types of games on iOS but I somewhat liked Injustice 2 (I know reception was terribad, but I had fun).
I'll play more Skullgirls for sure but I'm curious about other options.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i am waiting for full fighters like tekken, mvc & ij2 to hit switch but this skullgirls might be ok til then

killercow

Wait, is Soulcalibur on iOS? Where?

Oh, well it was there:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/soulcalibur/id481958471?mt=8

But it has been removed from the App Store. It was, for me, the best premium fighter on iOS. Guess it's a rare breed. The only one I can remember was the Gameloft one, Blades of Fury (removed as well). I think Soulcalibur still works on my iPad but won't be 64Bit compatible sadly...

I've heard that Shadow Fight is great but it's F2P. Shadow Fight 3 is looking impressive though.

Edit: Totally forgot that we also have Street Fighter IV on iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id354655665

PittaGAF

Oh, well it was there:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/soulcalibur/id481958471?mt=8

But it has been removed from the App Store. It was, for me, the best premium fighter on iOS. Guess it's a rare breed. The only one I can remember were the Gameloft one, Blades of Fury (removed as well). I think Soulcalibur still works on my iPad but won't be 64Bit compatible sadly...

I've heard that Shadow Fight is great but it's F2P. Shadow Fight 3 is looking impressive though.

Edit: Totally forgot that we also have Street Fighter IV on iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id354655665

Wow thanks!!!
Checking all them now.

Shadow Fight!!! That's the one I meant.

I guess I'm just looking for a possibly premium fighter game with a story mode.
Maybe it doesn't exist on iOS.

I totally missed Soulcalibur :(

killercow

Wow thanks!!!
Checking all them now.

Shadow Fight!!! That's the one I meant.

I guess I'm just looking for a possibly premium fighter game with a story mode.
Maybe it doesn't exist on iOS.

I totally missed Soulcalibur :(

Well a story mode for a fighter on consoles is already hard to find so... yeah, I don't think a premium one exists for iOS. Injustice really does pack a lot for a F2P game but is let down by those simplistic controls and awkward delay in every move.

PittaGAF

Well a story mode for a fighter on consoles is already hard to find so... yeah, I don't think a premium one exists for iOS. Injustice really does pack a lot for a F2P game but is let down by those simplistic controls and awkward delay in every move.

There is a 4 stages mini story mode :)
The videos last longer than the actual games tough.
And unfortunately I hate superheroes.

Skullgirls is promising but really...they went really far in strangeness and bouncing boobs.

killercow

There is a 4 stages mini story mode :)
The videos last longer than the actual games tough.
And unfortunately I hate superheroes.

Skullgirls is promising but really...they went really far in strangeness and bouncing boobs.

It's actually the console story mode as is (hence my comment ;)), except they've only done the first chapter for now but the plan is to have the full single player console story mode on mobile.

As for Skullgirls that's... a bit weird at first yeah but definitely done in jest.

tariniel

Strongly considering grabbing Human Resource Machine and Alto's Adventure during this sale. Anyone have any opinions that might tip me in either direction?

Top Bottom