• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dascu

How I imagine it: Jack defeats Aku but is unable to return to the past. He, maybe at first reluctantly, decides to live his life and contribute to rebuilding society without Aku's evil. Little flash-forward: Jack is together with Ashi and they have a child. One day he notices a reflection of himself with his wife and child, reminding him of himself and his parents.He smiles and says: "I'm back."

Brickhunt

Maybe he thought the sword was hidden in the armor, so assumes that he still keeps it around. Aku is scared shitless of Jack and has given up trying to face him one on one. Only his minions could inform him of the sword, and to be fair, the first thing Scaramouche did when he realized Hack was swordless was to try to inform Aku. It's just Jack doesn't leave anyone alive to report to him.

Btw, anyone else hopes that the spooky horseman is not just a hallucination and that Jack will eventually fight it?

Permanently A

4uwBArZ.png

Bronx-Man

Banned
So I finally caught up with this week's episode yesterday and HOLY CRAP.

Ghost Jack kinda reminds me of when Batman went crazy in a maze a few years ago.

16906454_276487752772206_7108206110791696384_n.jpg

Just picked up the season pass and caught up and wow... just wow.

I'm blown away; I liked the original series when I was younger but this is on a whole other level. I'm so happy this was greenlit.

Does anybody remember the Terry Gilliam film The Fisher King?

Well in the film Robin Williams plays a homeless guy who has hallucinates a red knight on horseback.

fk2.jpg

Remind anybody of the demon samurai Jack sees?

aly

Finally caught up and wow I am impressed. Everything was so good and I honestly don't know how I want it to end.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Well in the film Robin Williams plays a homeless guy who has hallucinates a red knight on horseback.

fk2.jpg

Remind anybody of the demon samurai Jack sees?

Never seen these before but these images are unnerving to me because they remind me of a recurring nightmare I used to have as a kid.

Zekes!

When this is all over I think I'm going to have to go through and find a hi res still to get printed on canvas and hung up. This season is bringing me joy

Dascu

http://dl9fvu4r30qs1.cloudfront.net/48/8f/287915f44231bc1b4852d4625acf/fk2.jpg[IMG]

Remind anybody of the demon samurai Jack sees?[/QUOTE]
Really fantastic and underrated film.

On the second episode and this is still bothering me, and I'm surprised I haven't found other people discussing it. re: Aku's voice:

He sounds like he has a strong German accent, is there an explanation for this? the voice sounds great, but the accent is what is really bothering me.

For comparison:
S04e09
S05e02

Tubobutts

On the second episode and this is still bothering me, and I'm surprised I haven't found other people discussing it. re: Aku's voice:

He sounds like he has a strong German accent, is there an explanation for this? the voice sounds great, but the accent is what is really bothering me.

For comparison:
S04e09
S05e02
I don't really hear a German accent, but it's a new voice actor because the previous one passed away.

Xelinis

For comparison:
S04e09
S05e02

The original voice actor, Mako, passed in '06. At the time, he was also voicing Iroh in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Voice actor Greg Baldwin was his protege, and he was the one who was tapped to voice Iroh in Book 3 of Avatar, as well as Aku in this new season of Samurai Jack.

Xe4

Banned
The original voice actor, Mako, passed in '06. At the time, he was also voicing Iroh in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Voice actor Greg Baldwin was his protege, and he was the one who was tapped to voice Iroh in Book 3 of Avatar, as well as Aku in this new season of Samurai Jack.

Actually Baldwin was never his protege, just a voice actor who was a huge fan of a musical that Mako was the lead in. There's a good interview with Greg a few pages back about this. It's got a really touching moment in it about Baldwin meeting with Mako's family with his performance bringing them to tears.

edit: link.

Actually Baldwin was never his protege, just a voice actor who was a huge fan of a musical that Mako was the lead in. There's a good interview with Greg a few pages back about this. It's got a really touching moment in it about Baldwin meeting with Mako's family with his performance bringing them to tears.

edit: link.

Lmao at how singing along to a musical became being Mako's understudy. For the longest time i believed it to be true, i think even Genndy said that in an interview recently. Regardless, while it's obviously not quite the same, i think he did a solid job as Iroh in A:TLA/LoK and as Aku so far. Here is the mentioned musical with Mako btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ546PASgHI

I don't really hear a German accent, but it's a new voice actor because the previous one passed away.

I know that the actor is different(sorry for not being more clear), he sounds like Mako in terms of tone and inflections etc., but he's putting on this weird accent for seemingly no reason--maybe trying to copy Mako's Japanese accent, but ends up sounding European? Maybe I'm the only one hearing it that way?

Tsunamo

I know that the actor is different(sorry for not being more clear), he sounds like Mako in terms of tone and inflections etc., but he's putting on this weird accent for seemingly no reason--maybe trying to copy Mako's Japanese accent, but ends up sounding European? Maybe I'm the only one hearing it that way?
Nah I get what you mean. I kind of felt like he nailed it in the first episode getting the lines right and one voice, in episode 2 while it was good the tone kind of sounded a bit off. Or at least like he was trying to replicate Makos voice, but rather than get a focused one the accent was a bit over the place.

I think we're in the minority with that though.

To be fair to Greg though Makos shoes are not easy ones to fill, especially nailing his Aku voice.

Zubz

Banned

For comparison:
S04e09
S05e02

Is this the Aku who is dressed like/in the role of a cliché psychotherapist? Because that Aku had an Austrian accent as a nod to Sigmund Freud.

Crayolan

Finally got around to watching this with some friends.

Holy shit. It's even better than the original.

Show's even darker than before, and some of the action scenes have been super intense. And yet despite that they still managed to keep the fun characters and humor. Just amazing.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm really glad I watched the earlier seasons now. Jack blending in with the snow was a reference to his light ninja training stuff in season 4.

I'm really glad I watched the earlier seasons now. Jack blending in with the snow was a reference to his light ninja training stuff in season 4.

yup

The fight while balancing atop the toppled tree was reminiscent of the final confrontation with those lion-like hunters, too.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so i guess no episode today since adult swim april fools tradition?

They did their April Fools stuff last night.

They added laugh tracks and random sound effects/distortions to the animated comedies like Bob's Burgers and American Dad.

TrueBlue

Apologies for being slightly off topic, but I seem to have missed the livestream of the first four seasons. Is there anywhere I can catch up? I really want to see what this show is all about.

I live in the UK btw.

Xe4

Banned
Apologies for being slightly off topic, but I seem to have missed the livestream of the first four seasons. Is there anywhere I can catch up? I really want to see what this show is all about.

I live in the UK btw.

I believe it is on Hulu, but I am not sure if that is true for the UK.

Xe4

Banned
I'm going to be cheking in to make sure it's not another April fools or anything. Will post with reaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom