• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2017

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Song to Song: 4/10. Just stop please. There's only so many movies I can watch of unbelievably attractive people walking around and looking at things. Still checking out everything he ever does cause I'm a fucking moron. One of the posters in the background said 2012....
Personal Shopping Assistant: 8/10. Why didn't you guys tell me it was going to be scary. :( The KStew nudity made up for it though. I don't know, really tense, loved it.
Killer of Sheep: 9/10. So that's where it's from. Masterpiece.

Blader

It's clear Baby Driver takes some cues from Drive, but where Drive remains one of my favorite films, this will hopefully be a misstep in an otherwise great directors career.
Both Baby Driver and Drive are taking their cues from Walter Hill's The Driver.

I haven't seen The World's End or Scott Pilgrim yet, but I'd put Baby Driver behind Shaun of the Dead and ahead of Hot Fuzz at the moment.

What else of Wright's belongs in the conversation?

Ridley327

I haven't seen The World's End or Scott Pilgrim yet, but I'd put Baby Driver behind Shaun of the Dead and ahead of Hot Fuzz at the moment.

Well, he's only made those five films, so it's not like there's a deep library to borrow books from.

Sean C

Okja (2017): I like this a lot more than Snowpiercer, but I'm still not sold on this director's approach to tone. This feels like there are two different storytelling approaches, one very understated and one very over the top, and the movie mixes the two in a way that means it doesn't commit to either. For instance, you've got
Tilda Swinton playing sisters, and Jake Gyllenhaal's whole ridiculous performance, but there's in neither case does this lead to any splashy payoff.
All that said, Okja herself is a pretty impressive creation, and I like the ending, especially. Also, in terms of playing with audience expectations, Paul Dano's role wasn't much like what you would expect when you cast him in a movie.

What We Do in the Shadows (2014): Having loved Taika Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I planned to see this, one of his other more talked-about works, eventually. And...it's decent. I struggle to articulate why I didn't like this more, because the scripting is quite clever and the performances are good, but the mockumentary format is a hit-and-miss with me, and for whatever reason this didn't quite connect like it did for a lot of people.

big ander

As Ridley said that's his entire proper filmography already. I'd say only two other works are worth being in the conversation:
-Fistful of Fingers, a 70-minute feature he made as a teenager that he didn't acknowledge for twenty years (because he was perfectly fine with people treating Shaun as his first feature) and which has screened a couple times in recent years but still isn't otherwise officially available.
-Spaced, a tv series written by Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson and starring those two along with Nick Frost, among others, and produced by Wright's longtime collaborator Nira Park. It's great. And while in Fistful of Fingers you can see some of what Wright would become, Spaced is the first true Edgar Wright production.

I mostly watched Shaw Brothers movies last month so I'll just rank those.

1. Mad Monkey Kung Fu
2. Martial Club
3. Five Element Ninjas
4. Heroes of the East
5. Kid with the Golden Arm
6. Swordsman and Enchantress
7. Invincible Shaolin
8. Dirty Ho
9. The Thundering Sword

Lau Kar-leung is incredible. I somehow never connected the dots that he directed The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, and Drunken Master II. On top of that he is a great fighter himself, as with his Mad Monkey Kung Fu role, which surely helps him with the crazy choreography. Martial Club is another of his, pairing Gordon Liu and Kara Hui. Both are super fun to watch, and the final fight is brilliant.

The only one of these I didn't really like was The Thundering Sword, which goes overboard on forced drama. It's unfortunate that both Cheng Pei-pei movies I've seen have been nearly ruined by the story (Come Drink With Me inexplicably downgrades her character by switching focus to literal magical battles that she can't participate in).

kevin1025

Banned
I mostly watched Shaw Brothers movies last month so I'll just rank those.

1. Mad Monkey Kung Fu
2. Martial Club
3. Five Element Ninjas
4. Heroes of the East
5. Kid with the Golden Arm
6. Swordsman and Enchantress
7. Invincible Shaolin
8. Dirty Ho
9. The Thundering Sword

Lau Kar-leung is incredible. I somehow never connected the dots that he directed The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, and Drunken Master II. On top of that he is a great fighter himself, as with his Mad Monkey Kung Fu role, which surely helps him with the crazy choreography. Martial Club is another of his, pairing Gordon Liu and Kara Hui. Both are super fun to watch, and the final fight is brilliant.

The only one of these I didn't really like was The Thundering Sword, which goes overboard on forced drama. It's unfortunate that both Cheng Pei-pei movies I've seen have been nearly ruined by the story (Come Drink With Me inexplicably downgrades her character by switching focus to literal magical battles that she can't participate in).

I wish I had your month. This sounds so good.

Just got back from Baby Driver, solid solid movie. Soundtrack was fantastic, in terms of performances, Jamie Foxx impressed me the most. Dude was legit
scary and sociopathic.

Ending scene was a bit dry but overall a fun film. I was really unimpressed with the first trailer of the movie so maybe that's why I went into this with lowered expectations (I knew this film wouldn't top Fuzz or Dead)

The waitress in the diner reminds me of Shelly from Twin Peaks.

tumblr_nhai5yK83X1su84coo1_500.jpg

omgkitty thanks for the trigger warning at the start of your post mate. shitting on Mad Max and Baby Driver in the same post can potentially give me heart palpitations. whew.

Surprised at some of the tepid responses to the movie on this forum. I'm in the minority opinion that Wright's output has either matched the previous film or surpassed it each time tho. With Baby Driver I'm still mulling over whether I like it as much as World's End, but I think it's certainly high in the rankings.

I think the music matching the action was overstated by the press and Wright though, its not the entirety of the film. but the major moments when it does sync up blew my mind. Especially the gunfire substituting the guitar riff in the big shootout at the end. To me this was a successful attempt for Wright in breaking out of comedy and genre mashups and translating his style to a Crime Thriller. I loved it, the jokes all killed for me and I appreciated how he was willing to make certain moments violent and mean-spirited to match the stakes and characters. This ensemble of villains crushed it too. Reminded me a bit of Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill in that regard at times. Had a lot of fun at the theaters and I'm planning on seeing it again this week. If it wasn't for Twin Peaks: The Return this would be my favorite thing I've seen all year. But Lynch has pulled out all the stops for what looks to be his swan song and its been such a ride so far. We're spoiled in 2017.

interested to hear what more posters in this thread think of the movie, good or bad.

Okja

I vibed with this a lot more than Snowpiercer. Whereas that movie had me feeling sour on Bong Joon Ho's chances at making decent english language films this one had me feeling a lot more optimistic about his career if he chooses to continue going down this road.

This film actually reminds me a lot of Babe: Pig in the City (though I like that much more), in that it caricaturizes the human characters and gets fairly dark as it makes its case for vegetarianism through the guise of a cute animal movie.

Okja cgi seemed a bit cheap at the start but it can be overlooked as you start to become won over by the cute bond between the main girl and okja.

The cast is mostly entertaining, especially the eco terrorists led by Paul Dano (its great to see Steven Yeun get some substantial screen time too. always refreshing when an asian character isn't treated so tokenly). Snowpiercer already brought it to mind but now this group ripped straight out of 12 Monkeys has made the case that Joon Ho could possibly become a Terry Gilliam successor. I'm pretty interested to see what he does next.

Oh shit, how could I forget....Jake Gylenhaal. Holy shit this is gonna go down as one of the most insufferable performances of all time. Y'all though Jared Leto in Suicide Squad was bad? Not even close when we have shit like this, just a total misfire. And man he looked like a pedophile Ned Flanders (I found that amusing at least)

Kudos to the director for pulling such an unexpected look from Jake but man he poisoned every scene he was in. Luckily he doesn't get much screentime. I loved Tilda Swinton's hammy performance though so I wasn't averse to that, but his character was a flop.

edit: BTW is Dookkake permabanned or what? hope not, he was a great regular in these threads.

Ridley327

Baby Driver: After four films of genre-bending and deft comedic goodness, Edgar Wright finally returns to the scene with... a relatively straightforward crime thriller?! Indeed, the film hits all the hallmarks of the genre rather faithfully, which could feel like something of a step down from the ambition of the high concepts that Wright has been able to wrangle in the past. As is often the case with genre fare these days, it's less about what it's about and more about how they tell it, and it should come as no surprise that Wright crafts a crime thriller that looks, sounds and moves like no other. Much has been made about the synchronization of audio and editing of the film, which might seem a tad overstated to anyone expecting some kind of weird musical version of The Driver (amusingly, the only scene where that really takes effect is the superb opening credits sequence, feeling like a lost Michel Gondry music video in how it takes a mundane task like picking up coffee and turns it into a grand adventure), but taken as for what it actually is, the inventive editing and offbeat soundtrack choices give this film a racing pulse in a genre that really hasn't seen a whole lot new in a while, and certainly not with this level of expert craftsmanship. Similarly, the cast here is filled with big names that are keyed into Wright's quirks without taking away from the intended suspense and intrigue that needs to happen, playing their parts with the right levels of humor and menace (special shout-outs go to both Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx for how well they manage those aspects of their characters). Great stunt driving is expected, but having someone like Wright who actually has the patience to show you it without feeling like they needed to attach a camera to an epileptic jackhammer for a more "visceral experience" is an all too rare phenomenon these days, but the one element that I was really over the moon on was how well the film captured Atlanta as a city. As a Georgia resident these days, I've made plenty of trips down to the city, so seeing it come alive and hitting up so many places I've been to is a real treat (never have I been so excited to see a Suntrust ATM!) and somewhat exciting as this is one of the first times in a long while where it hasn't had to stand in for another major city, real or fictional. It's a great local flavor that few films would indulge in, making the whole film feel alive even when nothing exciting is going on. If I have a quibble, I wasn't too convinced by the romantic subplot the film had to have, which I feel might be the victim of Wright perhaps compressing it down a little too much to make the chemistry between Ansel Elgort and Lily James feel like it takes off properly, which does lead to a somewhat flat ending in spite of its good intentions. Not that either actor doesn't put in the work, as both have a nice awkward charm that definitely could have worked wonders with more elaboration, but I felt like their scenes together and alone drag as a result and are the indicators of feeling the run time more than anything else. The film still works rather well with that misstep, and the fact that Wright was able to do so well with something more outside of his wheelhouse makes me excited to see what else he can do outside of comedy. Who knows: maybe even a horror film that hems close to what he was able to accomplish with his brilliant Grindhouse trailer could be just the ticket.

I'm not joking, that Suntrust ATM is the one I use every time I'm down there for Dragoncon.

Blader

I agree, and would put the two you haven't ahead of the others.

The World's End > Scott Pilgrim > Shaun > Baby Driver > Hot Fuzz

Ridley327

The thing that hurts Scott Pilgrim for me, and this could possibly be something that's directly attributable to the source material, as I've never read it, is that both Scott and Ramona are really unlikable, which kills the romance for me and makes Scott's actions towards Knives seem especially cruel. I do like the film overall, thanks to how great the staging of the fights are and the incredible supporting cast giving 100% (even Brandon Routh!), but that's one of those films where there's a hard ceiling for my appreciation that I don't think can be broken through.

They're all dicks in that movie aside from Knives Chau probably. What a fun movie it was though, and arguably the strongest direct translation from comic book to screen over those few Zack Snyder movies and Sin City

omgkitty

The thing that hurts Scott Pilgrim for me, and this could possibly be something that's directly attributable to the source material, as I've never read it, is that both Scott and Ramona are really unlikable, which kills the romance for me and makes Scott's actions towards Knives seem especially cruel. I do like the film overall, thanks to how great the staging of the fights are and the incredible supporting cast giving 100% (even Brandon Routh!), but that's one of those films where there's a hard ceiling for my appreciation that I don't think can be broken through.

You should probably read the comic. It's a pretty close adaptation, though the books weren't finished when the film came out. They're basically normal, shitty kids in their early 20's figuring life out.

YES. Lau Kar Leung is one of my all time favorites. A brilliant action director.

I've only seen Dirty Ho on an old bootleg vcd way back in the day. Terrible quality, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The "stealth" kung-fu scenes were really creative. Heroes of the East is one of his better ones (despite the usual ugly nationalism) for the sheer variety of skills on display. The crab form the guy uses at the end is fucking hilarious.

Have you seen the whole 36th Chamber trilogy? Disciples of the 36th Chamber is a must, some incredibly strong choreography in that and a great star turn from Hou Hsiao (and a big upgrade from his stupid comic relief role in Return to the 36th Chamber). Also, you gotta see Legendary Weapons of China if you haven't. Talking about Lau's own skills as a fighter, they're on full display in that film. The climax is glorious. It's essential viewing.

God now I want to spend my whole month watching Shaw Brothers films...

Ridley327

You should probably read the comic. It's a pretty close adaptation, though the books weren't finished when the film came out. They're basically normal, shitty kids in their early 20's figuring life out.

I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse!

Does the comic at least acknowledge that they're not particularly great people? The movie never seems to do much with that other than Ramona's early reluctance to commitment in her relationship with Scott, so I think that would be an important leg up on the movie if that was something that was in play.

omgkitty thanks for the trigger warning at the start of your post mate. shitting on Mad Max and Baby Driver in the same post can potentially give me heart palpitations. whew.

Surprised at some of the tepid responses to the movie on this forum. I'm in the minority opinion that Wright's output has either matched the previous film or surpassed it each time tho. With Baby Driver I'm still mulling over whether I like it as much as World's End, but I think it's certainly high in the rankings.

I think the music matching the action was overstated by the press and Wright though, its not the entirety of the film. but the major moments when it does sync up blew my mind. Especially the gunfire substituting the guitar riff in the big shootout at the end. To me this was a successful attempt for Wright in breaking out of comedy and genre mashups and translating his style to a Crime Thriller. I loved it, the jokes all killed for me and I appreciated how he was willing to make certain moments violent and mean-spirited to match the stakes and characters. This ensemble of villains crushed it too. Reminded me a bit of Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill in that regard at times. Had a lot of fun at the theaters and I'm planning on seeing it again this week. If it wasn't for Twin Peaks: The Return this would be my favorite thing I've seen all year. But Lynch has pulled out all the stops for what looks to be his swan song and its been such a ride so far. We're spoiled in 2017.

interested to hear what more posters in this thread think of the movie, good or bad.

Okja

I vibed with this a lot more than Snowpiercer. Whereas that movie had me feeling sour on Bong Joon Ho's chances at making decent english language films this one had me feeling a lot more optimistic about his career if he chooses to continue going down this road.

This film actually reminds me a lot of Babe: Pig in the City (though I like that much more), in that it caricaturizes the human characters and gets fairly dark as it makes its case for vegetarianism through the guise of a cute animal movie.

Okja cgi seemed a bit cheap at the start but it can be overlooked as you start to become won over by the cute bond between the main girl and okja.

The cast is mostly entertaining, especially the eco terrorists led by Paul Dano (its great to see Steven Yeun get some substantial screen time too. always refreshing when an asian character isn't treated so tokenly). Snowpiercer already brought it to mind but now this group ripped straight out of 12 Monkeys has made the case that Joon Ho could possibly become a Terry Gilliam successor. I'm pretty interested to see what he does next.

Oh shit, how could I forget....Jake Gylenhaal. Holy shit this is gonna go down as one of the most insufferable performances of all time. Y'all though Jared Leto in Suicide Squad was bad? Not even close when we have shit like this, just a total misfire. And man he looked like a pedophile Ned Flanders (I found that amusing at least)

Kudos to the director for pulling such an unexpected look from Jake but man he poisoned every scene he was in. Luckily he doesn't get much screentime. I loved Tilda Swinton's hammy performance though so I wasn't averse to that, but his character was a flop.

edit: BTW is Dookkake permabanned or what? hope not, he was a great regular in these threads.

thought Okja's cgi was pretty great actually.

also saw it but I fell asleep the first time round - how is this 2 hours?

best bits of Okja was in the last 20 minutes
in the abbatoir
. That was good. But then it just ended and
they went back to korea and you get no idea what happends to ALF + the meat company
so I was like what's the bloody point of all that.

Didn't have issues with Jake's performance. Even Tilda was OTT. 6/10

big ander

They're all dicks in that movie aside from Knives Chau probably. What a fun movie it was though, and arguably the strongest direct translation from comic book to screen over those few Zack Snyder movies and Sin City
I think people way overstate the goodness of Knives. and do that in part by asserting that
she should be the one to end up with scott at the end
I mean she's weird and annoying at times. and that's just because she's a teenager, so it's easier to excuse, especially when Scott's also taking advantage of her. but she still absolutely needs to grow up and act like an adult instead of a melodramatic kid. Her story's great because she gains a ton of perspective on what acting like an adult is, and I think
ending up with Scott would ruin that. we see that their romantic relationship is really fakey, and that they work much better as friends. and Knives comes to see that Scott and Ramona are at a similar place in their lives, and work better together as a couple. Scott and Knives reuniting would undo a lot of that.
I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse!

Does the comic at least acknowledge that they're not particularly great people? The movie never seems to do much with that other than Ramona's early reluctance to commitment in her relationship with Scott, so I think that would be an important leg up on the movie if that was something that was in play.
both the comic and film heavily acknowledge that they suck. "if your life had a face I would punch it." the entire story of the comics/film is that they're shitty young adults learning to be better and mostly screwing up. scott's utter inability to remain aware of how his actions rooted in uncertainty and emotional ineptitude impact others and are perceived by everyone else (e.g. his history with kim that he just brushes aside), ramona's closed-offness and capriciousness. those are central facets of the story.

the idea of "likability" I mean that's a different argument. I like those characters a lot, but obviously they aren't 100% good people. I don't really think they need to be to be "likable," and I don't really think "likability" is even something I look for in characters. likability is boring. plus their marked flaws are supposed to stand as a counterpoint to being in what looks to be a heroic video game story, dropping mixed-up real-life 20-somethings into a brawler with black-and-white sides that should have clear heroes and villains. in the original and the adaptation the video game and martial arts stylings are not arbitrary, they're purposeful contrast to messy reality.

Ridley327

both the comic and film heavily acknowledge that they suck. "if your life had a face I would punch it." the entire story of the comics/film is that they're shitty young adults learning to be better and mostly screwing up. scott's utter inability to remain aware of how his actions rooted in uncertainty and emotional ineptitude impact others and are perceived by everyone else (e.g. his history with kim that he just brushes aside), ramona's closed-offness and capriciousness. those are central facets of the story.

the idea of "likability" I mean that's a different argument. I like those characters a lot, but obviously they aren't 100% good people. I don't really think they need to be to be "likable," and I don't really think "likability" is even something I look for in characters. likability is boring. plus their marked flaws are supposed to stand as a counterpoint to being in what looks to be a heroic video game story, dropping mixed-up real-life 20-somethings into a brawler with black-and-white sides that should have clear heroes and villains. in the original and the adaptation the video game and martial arts stylings are not arbitrary, they're purposeful contrast to messy reality.

Perhaps Wright made the fantasy stuff too appealing? It seems like when the whole film is so heavily stylized that the messy growing-up drama elements didn't really come across nearly as strongly as everything else, which is weird, since he's actually pretty good at that sort of thing from Cornetto Trilogy, especially in The World's End.

omgkitty

Perhaps Wright made the fantasy stuff too appealing? It seems like when the whole film is so heavily stylized that the messy growing-up drama elements didn't really come across nearly as strongly as everything else, which is weird, since he's actually pretty good at that sort of thing from Cornetto Trilogy, especially in The World's End.

The books focus much more on the drama than the film does. It also has a lot more time to let the characters grow on you and show how messy their lives are.

big ander

I think The World's End is a good comparison point actually, because the first time I saw The World's End I had trouble holding both the bleakness of the drama and the body snatching brawling in my head at once—it took a rewatch to get to that point. Pilgrim, meanwhile, I was coming into having read the comics so it made sense right away, and has only made more sense with each viewing.

It's possible the stylization gets in the way, that it swallows up the growing-up drama at times. I find Wright's visual humor communicates it efficiently just as often, though. To go with Kim as an example again: at the party where Julie's telling off Scott about hitting on Ramona and Scott says he and Kim are all good and Wright pans to Kim giving him a death stare from behind a plant. That's not only a funny gag, it also sets up that Kim and Scott are not good and that he's been super unfair in their relationship.

All that said, it is much easier to get that relationship and all the relationships down over six volumes of comics than it is a single movie. In the comics there's more time for interaction between every character and to really get into backstories like Scott with Kim and other girlfriends. Plus O'Malley doesn't hyperstylize for the entire runtime like Wright, which definitely affords that breathing room. O'Malley doesn't need to because he's such a funny writer and has a great eye for the details in rooms and costumes, so you're just as invested when they're eating pizza as when they're fighting.

Been a while since I posted in one of these. But I'm still logging tons of stuff on Letterboxd; I'm up to 142 this year.

Top 5 first watches of June:

1. Baby Driver
2. Tropic Thunder
3. Wonder Woman
4. Split
5. Beatriz at Dinner

Since we're halfway through 2017, I'll share my top 5 and bottom 5 of the year as well:

1. Baby Driver
2. Get Out
3. Beauty and the Beast (Maybe unnecessary, but I really enjoyed it both times I watched it)
4. Your Name (Opened near me in April, so I'll count it for this year)
5. 20th Century Women (Limited late last year, opened near me in January)

Bottom
1. Transformers: The Last Knight
2. A Dog's Purpose
3. Fist Fight
4. Monster Trucks
5. The Bye-Bye Man

Now onto recent stuff:

The Belko Experiment - I went in with low expectations because this movie disappeared pretty fast, and liked it quite a bit. There's little to do with plot or characters, but it's some solid bloody fun for about 80 minutes. 4/5

Trainspotting - Kind of a grimy little picture, this one. I was equal parts amused, revolted, and mildly upset throughout. Could be a way to scare people out of addiction, but I think there's enough for at least one viewing. 3.5/5

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Been watching 70s French/Italian movies. So many good crime drama.s

The Verdict
Rider on the rain (features Charles Bronson)
À chacun son enfer (no idea if an English version exists)

I have many others on my list, but so far they are all great. Highly recommend the looking into those. 70s movies were filmed in such a simpler way, makes everything feel real.

edit: Just watched Strange Shadows in an Empty Room. Ridiculous movie, but nice to see Montreal in the 70s, and especially that ridiculous car chase!

Divius

As a schlocky, pulpy and especially dumb sci-fi thriller Alien: Covenant is pretty okay. As an entry in the Alien series, it's another disappointment. In my mind I just distanced it from the franchise and found moments of moderate enjoyment in between all of the stupidness and blandness. 6/10

The Lost City of Z - Admirable film making. Loved the scope and the intricate approach to the story. It's both well directed and well acted for the most part, but it just didn't click with me on a personal and emotional level otherwise I would've liked this a lot more, because I do appreciate it. 6/10

Recently finished the classic novel and decided to check out the 1945 adaptation of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray to see how it compares. And it fares pretty well. It's a rather straight forward, yet not very exciting, adaptation that is hard to fault. 7/10

Not the most active month for movie viewing but anyway...

Top 5 new views in June:

1. The Eyes of My Mother
2. I Will Walk Like a Crazy Horse
3. The Case of the Bloody Iris
4. Angel Heart
5. The Man Who Wasn’t There

Pachimari

Spider-Man 3(2007) - ★★☆☆☆
I just finished my rewatch of Spider-Man 3 and it's really not so bad as what the internet wants me to believe. I just can't share this notion. Yes, I feel Gwen Stacy was horribly miscast, I hated Peter's whole enlarged self-esteem trip and Venom should have ultimately been cut. But there are some good things in this movie. I love Peter's struggle with Mary Jane, and him having to overcome himself and life's struggles. I still really dig Green Goblin II and his movie suit is amazing. Sandman was also very well done and visually very comic accurate, and I didn't have much of a problem with them retconning Ben's killer as they showed how it all went down in a flashback.

Jimothy

The Lost City of Z - Admirable film making. Loved the scope and the intricate approach to the story. It's both well directed and well acted for the most part, but it just didn't click with me on a personal and emotional level otherwise I would've liked this a lot more, because I do appreciate it. 6/10

Literally every single element is there for a classic epic, but it just never seems to come together in any meaningful way. Probably one of the most frustrating movies I've ever seen.

Timeaisis

The Third Man

What a film. 1949 and it's still better than most modern thrillers, and shot better, too. And better acted.
Welles totally steals the show with that "Cuckoo Clock" line.
I didn't even realize it was in B&W, because the lighting and framing is utilized so damn well.

Inside Out (2015) - rewatch. My dad had never seen this, and both of my sons love it, so when he came over this afternoon they popped this in. I think I've only ever seen it once and really enjoyed it. This time my enjoyment for it was slightly dulled. There's a little too much fetch-quest-iness going on with the whole Joy & Sadness lost in the wilderness and needing to work together to get back to HQ. Maybe I didn't quite catch on to that the first time through, because of the originality of the inner workings of our minds Pixar has imagined, but this time I grew a little bored in places.

Still, dat Bing Bong scene. Man tears.

It's also quite a funny movie in addition to having its share of the feels.

I actually gave it 5 stars after my first watch of it, and while I won't change it now, on a rewatch I'd be more inclined to give it a 4.

AoM

Memento (2000)

Glad my favorite movie is now on Netflix. Not much to say really. Great directing, great writing, amazing performances (especially by Pearce), and a subdued yet sublime score.

As good as Dunkirk looks, I hope one day Nolan returns to such a small scale project.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Memento (2000)

Glad my favorite movie is now on Netflix. Not much to say really. Great directing, great writing, amazing performances (especially by Pearce), and a subdued yet sublime score.

As good as Dunkirk looks, I hope one day Nolan returns to such a small scale project.

I just watched "Le Secret", 1974 French movie. Must be available in English somewhere or with subtitles. If you liked Memento you will like this.

Don't read anything about it or you will be spoiled.

Or if anyone here likes suspense movies where you're not sure where the truth lies, it won't disappoint.

Blader

Wow ok. I guess I need to watch those.

well ymmv. I love Scott Pilgrim for its style and because I'm a fan of the comics (and it's a pretty damn good adaptation of them, albeit not a perfect one). And The World's End really struck a chord with me on a personal level, reminded me of a good friend from high school who, while nothing really like Pegg's character, also never really got his shit together and has been stuck in the past for many years. One of a handful of reasons why I'm dreading my high school reunion this year, lol.

Sean C

The World's End (2013): Well, that was its own thing.

A blast to watch, if surprisingly dark toward the end, and Rosamund Pike is pretty much squandered (which, granted, is not unusual for her post-Pride & Prejudice/pre-Gone Girl period). One could easily have imagined the story continuing on as a normal human comedy-drama without
the body snatchers turn the plot takes
, which is a sign of strong writing.

The World's End (2013): Well, that was its own thing.

A blast to watch, if surprisingly dark toward the end, and Rosamund Pike is pretty much squandered (which, granted, is not unusual for her post-Pride & Prejudice/pre-Gone Girl period). One could easily have imagined the story continuing on as a normal human comedy-drama without
the body snatchers turn the plot takes
, which is a sign of strong writing.

I still think Pike should've won in 2014 for Gone Girl over Moore.

EAPidgeon

Baby Driver(2017): Really this was quite an enjoyable outing and featured the classic style of Edgar Wright. However, I share the similar sentiment with others that a lot of the comedy lacked the punch of Edgar's other works.

Overall standout performances from Jamie Foxx and Kevin Spacey.

4.5/5

The Bad Batch (2017): This was probably one of the biggest flops this year for myself. A premise of a Mad Max cannibal wasteland with Jason Momoa and Keanu Reeves should have delivered far better than this. The biggest problem is the film is not an action film, but very much arthouse. Overall it feels like the film was produced in 3 specific set pieces, but that each of these held only tangental relation to each other. Bad Batch in an attempt to tie these together ends up feeling skimpy on the plot and dull from a narrative pace. The biggest problem is in attempting to make the writing feel substantial the film runs perhaps 40 minutes longer than it should.

Overall the standout parts of this film are the set design, world building / lore, and the cinematography.

1.5/5

Boogs31

Life - (4/10) - I really couldn't get into this. It felt like the movie didn't have a beginning, it didn't really introduce you to characters in any meaningful way. The pacing was a bit off as well and the directing was kinda lousy. There's a scene where a character dies pretty brutally, and the director shows a long reaction shot from all the remaining characters. It just felt off. At least the second half of the movie was mindless fun, but it didn't overcome what came before.

Paddington (9/10) - Thought this was really good. A lot of genuinely funny moments and it had a good bit of heart as well. Wasn't a fan of Nicole Kidman's character, it just felt like a lazy, over the top evil person that was there purely for the addition of drama. Other than that it was really enjoyable.

Mi goreng

Started Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Cemetery of Splendour and wasn't ready to see an explicit scene of a man shitting in the jungle. 1/10

KeRaSh

Recently came back from a vacation overseas and was able to watch a few movies on the plane;

Split: James McAvoy did a wonderful job. Really enjoyed this one.

Get Out: Also great performances all around in my opinion. Great movie.

Why Him?: I'm kind of a Franco fan (both James & Dave) but I was quite reluctant to give this the benefit of the doubt. I'm glad I watched it, though. Laughed way more than I expected!

Fantastic Beasts: Gave it a shot but decided to watch something else 30-40 minutes into the movie. Didn't really like Redmayne's performance. Could come back to this someday because they've cast Jude Law as a younger Dumbledore and I love Jude Law...

big ander

Started Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Cemetery of Splendour and wasn't ready to see an explicit scene of a man shitting in the jungle. 1/10
Very good movie, worth actually watching. Maybe this time knowing what's coming you won't get the vapors and have to retire to your fainting couch

Top Bottom